Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graventy
Jul 27, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

forgot that i was supposed to watch all the ghibli shows when i have the time during lockdown. what are the best / worst shows everyone has ranked? I've only done Spirited Away, Totoro, Mononoke, Lupin and Kaguya so far.

You should really watch them all, they're all pretty good if not great movies. Except maybe Earthsea, but even that isn't awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 27, 2006

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

The way I figured they would handle the Freaky Friday thing was that 22 and Joe would end up in the same body. Shame they did it the way they did

I was also hoping for a Roxanne Man with Two Brains-style situation, but that wouldn't have solved the problem. Then again I just like watching people fight with themselves.

graventy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 29, 2020

graventy
Jul 27, 2006

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Or The Man With Two Brains.

Yup, this one. I haven't seen any of them in a long time so they all run together.

graventy
Jul 27, 2006

Fun Shoe

I watched Onward to catch back up on Pixar movies, and while I think the first half hour is kind of a wacky Dreamworks-y mess, it really starts to gel together when it becomes a brother's road trip. I think I cried for the last fifteen or so minutes. Pixar knows how to emotionally manipulate me.

graventy
Jul 27, 2006

Fun Shoe

I really wanted to like Earwig, and it was starting to grab me and then it just ends. I don't really think it would work well as a 2D movie, because the plot just isn't there. The food still looks pretty good though.

graventy
Jul 27, 2006

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think it's partly a marketing tool (my daughter has been calling herself a 'dragon nerd' since Saturday) and partly because the society in this movie is a whole lot closer (5 generations) to being actually saved by these creatures who existed IRL than anyone is to Jesus or other religious figures. Like, they have evidence that the dragons were real based on them existing as stone statues and with the crystal so it would be pretty natural for kids to revere them and express that in a more 'modern' parlance imo.

What I find very funny about the dragon nerd thing is that...she's not. Raya can recognize a Sisu necklace, the dragon they have worshipped her entire life, but every dragon revelation after that astonishes her. It would have proven her dragon nerdiness if she was the one who identified where Sisu's new powers were coming from. (Not to be a dragon nerd gatekeeper or anything.)

This is the second time in about as many years that Disney has written people coming back into the world after being gone/frozen for years.

How did Sisu's brothers and sisters end up at the temple? Were they frozen there? Were those just actual statues? The whole "this is where it happened" followed by flashback scenes of it not happening there was confusing.

Not a very well-plotted film but it was a pleasant enough watch.

graventy
Jul 27, 2006

Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

I watched Mitchells vs The Machines last night and it was great.

Also appreciate the villain literally saying "Tech and phones are the problem you idiots, it's the way it's used and thrown away for profit"

The baboon and cat-filter jokes were the only memey bits that were a little too jarring, the rest of the movie landed pretty well.

Also it's funny that some people are calling Katie being a lesbian an 'end of movie quick line reveal' when it's clear throughout the movie, she uses rainbows all over her art, etc. Even in the first five minutes I thought it was incredibly obvious. Like even without her pride pin this is probably the most lesbian character design I've ever seen.

edit:
Lol I just double checked, this screenshot with Katie saying she's "always felt a little... different" pops up like 3 minutes into the movie, it's not hidden at all.

You're giving the movie a hell of a lot of undeserved credit here. It's all incredibly small touches and one blink-and-you'll-miss-it line of dialogue at the end. We get more insights into her brother's relationships and he's like 7.

It frustrates me that this is still seen as some sort of revolutionary step.

Great movie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 27, 2006

Fun Shoe

If you guys kill TGI Fridays by not going to a restaurant that I am also not going to I'm gonna be extremely upset!