Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

FilthyImp posted:

Had no idea that studio became Ghibli and. Yeah. I kind of see it now.

I love finding out how different parts of the industry build and feed into each other, like half the animators who worked on the Tiny Toons Movie were key animators for Akira. (And I mean it makes sense if you track TMS Entertainment , but if you don't how often Japan is animating American cartoons it sounds kinda crazy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For Mighty Max, no Tony Jay, no sequel. That's also why we can never get a proper conclusion to ReBoot.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Holy poo poo, I haven't thought about Soul Reaver for probably a decade. Of course that was Tony Jay.

Edit: https://youtu.be/fgnLO7iJZaA

It's still great.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 24, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: is your avatar two eyes, a mouth, and tentacle danglies or two eyes, nostrils, and like, a moustache or weird tendril-ey mouf

I think it's Doctor Facilier's face paint.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Advent Children is dumb, and every piece of FFVII media that came out after the original made the plot worse with unnecessary retcons and bad writing. Also it didn't have enough Red XIII, who is the best.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So, apparently Pendleton Ward has been working on something called The Midnight Gospel, and it looks like... something all right

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1252020386587238400?s=19

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My place isn't great for watching movies. My options are watching them on the 13 year old LCD TV that only hooks up to my Nintendo Switch, watching it on my busted computer monitor, or watching it on my phone.
(There's a big television in my house, but I have several housemates and they have children so that's usually in use for Disney movies or Fortnite or Minecraft or something and they use motion smoothing.)

I like the actual movie experience of being in the dark, there's no chihuahuas or excitable toddlers, I have a hot dog or maybe some popcorn and we're all here to have a good time.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 28, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Anarcats also needs to somehow integrate Gay Purr-ee, because I refuse to be the only person I know who's seen it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Hedrigall posted:

I had no idea that existed and it looks delightful, but please tell me in advance how gay is it?

Tragically, it's the archaic meaning of 'gay'. It's more of a 'weird' move than a 'good' movie, but they wrangled Judy Garland for the lead role and I'm very fond of the art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flGvpq9qGs8

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
To my fellow Canadians, Netflix is finally getting the entire Studio Ghibli filmography (barring Grave of the Fireflies and The Wind Rises) on Thursday and anyway I thought that was worth sharing. Now you have no excuse to not see Porco Rosso.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Edit: I keep getting the animation threads confused

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 8, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe one for Hunchback, because there's probably a lot of American kids who still don't know that gypsy is a slur

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I know I'm uhh seven years late to the party but I saw The Wind Rises yesterday and I'm having a lot of emotions now.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Both Fantasias are excellent but only one of them has the Rhapsody in Blue sequence and that about seals the deal for me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like the cat in soul but she should be Mrs Muffins because I'm pretty sure all calico cats are girls.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Are those little quails?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oogie Boogie is a bunch of insects who came together to form a band and they kidnapped Santa to be the audience to their first single.

Edit: I rewatched Howl's Moving Castle for the first time since 2004 and it turns out that I really like Howl's Moving Castle and I just... forgot or something. It has the misfortune of coming directly after Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, literally my favourite movies, but it's still really pretty and I adore the characters. I think I'm going to give the book a shot next.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 17, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I know Princess Mononoke was the longest animated film for a long time, it was 2 hours and 14 minutes. But then the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya beat its record at an absurd 2 hours 44 minutes and nothing else has even come close since then.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Probably not. Who Framed Roger Rabbit was an insane gamble, it only happened because Disney Animation in the 80's was desperate and kinda crazy. Don Bluth quit halfway through The Fox and The Hound and took half of the animators with him, The Black Cauldron tanked so hard it almost brought Disney down with it, and The Great Mouse Detective made a modest profit but got its rear end kicked by An American Tail. Eisner and Katzenberg basically decided to go all in on the most expensive animated movie of all time, and either revive Disney Animation or sink it for good.

I think from there they get Steven Spielberg as executive producer, he brings in Robert Zameckis who just did Back to the Future and won't be scared off by poo poo like "we have to film the live actions parts first and then animate everything later and it'll take a year and we haven't invented digital compositing yet because it's the 80s", and Zameckis says "I know a guy" and that guy is Richard Williams, animation warlock. And they set him up with a 50 million animation budget and temporary custody of Disney Animation UK.

And then there's the poo poo where Disney is like "hey to save money you should use these very simple camera angles and don't do anything crazy with the lighting" and Zameckis goes "anyway for this scene we hit the ceiling lamp so all of the light and shadows go back and forth, and then we hit it again so they rotate"

And anyway, I don't think Disney will every try something as insane as Roger Rabbit ever again, and also Richard Williams is no longer around so I don't even know who else would carry the legacy of a perfectionist animation warlock.

I don't know if any of this is, like, relevant to the discussion but I listened to a podcast about Who Framed Roger Rabbit like two days ago so that's where all that came from.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's the Blank Check podcast, they did the Robert Zameckis miniseries back in September. Actually, they did Hayao Miyazaki's movies last year, and just wrapped up John Musker and Ron Clemens, so there's probably something worth a listen in there too.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My one problem with Shrek 2 is that Dragon is barely in it, and when Donkey gets turned into a fancy horse, Dragon could have become a bigger, cooler dragon. But she has to stay offscreen because she's nesting.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I remember in one of the season 2 commentaries that there was a small turtle-lion cameo, and the writers regretted not introducing them earlier. Also, maybe energy bending feels like a cop-out but "a twelve year old pacifist has to learn to murder" is definitely a lovely ending. Also every other part of the ending slaps. The airship fight, the final Agni Kai, that soundtrack, everything.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Worthikids is an animation warlock.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Your opinion on movie theaters probably also depends on your home TV setup too. I live with four people and a chihuahua, and Canadian WiFi doesn't always play nice with streaming. When it works out its pretty nice but somedays the kid decides that It's Scream Time Now or someone else is playing Fortnite and hogging the bandwidth.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Godzilla, for one.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I know Nala's mom is named Sarafina, she shows up in one of the picture books I had back in the 90s.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think this is the animated movie thread, we also have a thread for kid's cartoons and one for adult-oriented animation. I'm going to be honest with you all, I regularly forget which one I'm posting in and use them interchangeably.

For Mickey Mouse stuff, uhh I assume you've seen the series of shorts they put out on YouTube?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBKgPmS5Fyw
That poo poo's tight.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, I haven't seen those. He's one of those mascots where I haven't heard of much he's in. Other than Fantasia and the Steamboat Willie style shorts.

He's been kind of a milquetoast everyman for a few decades, so I think they mostly put him on the merchandise for a while and let Donald and Goofy get all the attention. Like, Goof Troop is about Goofy, but stuff like House of Mouse was just a wrapper for old shorts. I can't actually think of much else? As far as I know his starring movie roles are, like, two Christmas specials and a Three Mustakeers thing which was... Okay-ish?

Uhh Runaway Brain good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8m-wu0PyQ

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Finding Nemo will always hold a weird damp place in my heart because I I spent the 90's enamored with the old Edutainment game Odell Down Under. Its a game where you play as fifty or so different fish from the Great Barrier Reef and it had a little encyclopedia entry for each one. So Finding Nemo was basically an Eye Spy game of "ooh ooh I played as that fish it eats sea sponges!!!" Also between my ADHD and absolutely trash memory, I found Dory painfully relatable.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

hiddenriverninja posted:

In the US Midwest, we had O'Dell Lake, which sounds very similar, but had fish like rainbow trout.

Odell Down Under is the sequel.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah, in "The Madness of King Scar" he thinks what he really needs to secure his position is a Queen, and then he hits on Nala, who slashes him in the face and leaves.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm comically biased towards the theater performance of TLK, when I was young I saw it in Toronto as a special family event and it was my first exposure to live theatre beyond, like, 'students doing a one act play in the gym'. I'm barely aware of things like 'story progression' or 'characterization' I'm just absolutely high on costuming and choreography and Shadowlands and He Lives In Youm

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All i can remember from watching Escaflowne is that the evil overlord is Isaac Newton, or something but I don't know if that's what we're talking about.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
From what I recall the Escaflowne dub was desparately trying to downplay Hitomi's lead role and the huge shoujo influences. Also this was back when Saban Entertainment assumed we were allergic to Japanese and changed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa5kpWjWU_E
To
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BGINS86ok

Which is probably a crime somewhere.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Like, a decade I think.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Why did Marvel pick someone who doesn't like Spiderman to direct a play about Spiderman? That's like hiring someone who openly hates animals to work at the zoo.

Okay, the Spider-Man musical is like four disasters stapled into a single ongoing nightmare. First: the whole thing was apparently Bono's idea. Andrew Lloyd Webber said he was glad rock musicians didn't do musicals so he could have the theatre to himself. I guess Bono took it personally and decided that he should then make his own musical. He teams up with Tony Adams as the producer, who has like three decades of experience, is enthusiastic about the project, and probably knows what he's doing.
They hire Julie Taymor as the director, because she just did the Lion King musical which was currently in the middle of literally making a billion dollars. She was the hottest poo poo on Broadway. From what I've heard she's an excellent director, so long as you have a solid producer to smack her with a metaphorical newspaper when she starts throwing out the show's premise and/or budget. That was Tony Adams, who absolutely had the chops to keep up with her.Tony Adams had a stroke and died two days after the contracts were all signed. His business partner, a lawyer with no theatre experience, was now in charge of the project. From there everything spins wildly out of control. Previews keep getting delayed as the story is written and rewritten on a whim. Production shuts down for a while because they're 25 million over budget and can't pay the stage crew. Someone gets the brilliant idea of simulating Spider-Man's webswinging by doing Cirque de Soleil - esque trapeze stunts but leaves out the part where they hire Cirque de Soleil - esque performers and just get the regular Broadway dudes to do the stunts. It was a nightmare, I'm talking "both wrists were broken" , I'm talking "had to be sawed free", I'm talking "fell thirty feet into the orchestra pit", you can find some of the accidents on YouTube, I'm not linking that poo poo in-thread.

The show's final budget was 79 million dollars. For comparison, most Broadway shows are in the 5-15 million range. The Lion King was 27 million but basically everything else is going to be under 15 million.

Did you need this information? No. Unfortunately you have no power here.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I absolutely adore Princess Mononoke. It's gorgeous, great soundtrack, great cast, it was my first Ghibli film so I'm naturally biased but it's probably the closest to a 'conventional' anime action movie in the Ghibli lineup. Anyway you should show your friends Porco Rosso.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also The Wind Rises and Kaguya are two of my favourites but, like, you gotta be in the right emotional place for those two.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My understanding is that the original creator sold all rights to the series a few years ago and they don't have to pay him anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I assume that these kinds of rules are happening all the time in the world of licensed media, it's just that 1) writers aren't usually openly discussing them and 2) Sega is probably a little gunshy because the last time they let writers go unmanaged we got Ken Penders and the Infinite Echinda Empire.