Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Starting off 2020 with a viewing of Cool World, because my partner has never seen it.

Can't help but feel a little sad about how hosed over Bakshi got on this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yo, nankeen, if you're looking for another idiosyncratic animation feature to break things up between Bakshis, you could do a lot worse than Bill Plympton's Hair High.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
TGMD = The Great Mouse Detective

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I liked the nonsensical jump boost sequence.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Watched Osmosis Jones for the first time yesterday, because my partner (who'd also never seen it) had an impulse to watch it.

That certainly felt like a movie responsible for the death of a major studio's animation division. What confused me most was trying to figure out who the intended target audience was. Buddy cop movie going on in the animated side, with a corrupt mayor (voiced by Shatner) B-plot. And Bill Murray schlubbing around in the live-action side, embarrassing his daughter and (sort of?) learning about the importance of a healthy lifestyle. Cameos from Kid Rock and Joe C., Laurence Fishburne as the villain, Chris Elliott drifting around in a weird wig. David Hyde Pierce in a lead role. And all of it directed by the Farrelly brothers.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Heavy Metal, American Pop, Akira, and The Brave Little Toaster.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Animal Crackers: It's alright. Not nearly as bad as Indiewire tried to make it out to be. Gilbert Gottfried's character kind of steals the show.

It's better than The Nut Job.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
With music by Suzanne Vega.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Something, uh... 'impressive' about Peter Pan is that the racism is toned down (arguably) from the stage musical version.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
My sister tried to take away my VCR privileges once, because I kept rewinding and replaying a specific verse from the junk shop song.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The best part of Ralph Breaks the Internet was the scroll bar on the end credits, letting theater workers know how much longer they had to wait before the auditorium would empty for cleaning.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I guess I’m about a year late on this, but Klaus is sweet and good. Only issue I had with it was that a couple of the songs are a bit insubstantial, which is a weird fit with how well-constructed the rest is, but that’s a minor fault.

Stick Man was another enjoyable animated holiday film. Fairly short, and the dialogue makes it obvious that it was adapted from a storybook, but the texturing is very smoothly handled, and there are some wonderfully captured animal mannerisms.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Everyone's clamoring for the back-story to Sykes from Oliver & Company.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Data Graham posted:

I haven't seen it yet so I'm making assumptions here, but have we not seen the "the baby is not really a baby, it is a small adult con artist" thing enough times between Zootopia and Roger Rabbit and however many other times it's been trotted out?
Baby Herman was a baby.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Having watched Christmas in Tattertown today, I'd like to encourage an egg and any other big Bakshi enthusiasts to check it out. It's a pilot episode for a series which never got bought, and it anticipates a lot of the ornamental qualities of Cool World in its busy population of frames, plus a red-nosed spider as a main supporting character. There's also what feels like a slight revisiting of Wizards in the antagonist's gathering of antiquated war machines (this being aired on Nickelodeon, there's no Nazi imagery, though). Allegedly, the Mighty Mouse flower powder incident played a role in the series not being picked up.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Pixeltendo posted:

Wasn't there some leaked e-mails about their idea for a Spider-man where he did some stupid food related blog?
Yes.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Hedrigall posted:

Holy gently caress it sounds dangerous to be a Pixar intern

Just wanna give this good joke some recognition.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Who could forget Jeff Daniels asking for another cup of marriage, or the kid playing the astroturfed Dalmatians video game?

Macaluso posted:

Animated things don't need to be made into live action. It should be the others way around
We’ll never get a live-action Mr Toad’s Wild Ride with that attitude.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bakshi has a Cool World production cel up for sale. $1100.

"Cool World : Sequence: 122. Scene: A. Cel: #16

This very rare animation production cel is original , handpainted, and the only one of it's kind in the world. It was used in the Ralph Bakshi animated film, Cool World. Bakshi will sign this animation art, if you wish . Image size is: 11" x 13", and comes with a copy of the original animation background from the scene. This artwork is the original animation art used in production and is an historically significant part of each animated film. The cels come with a copy of the original background from the scene where available, or the sequence, or the film. Shipping is FREE in the United States. Shipping is $20 International."

Which cel is it?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
“I saw the Cool World in the blank page and drew until I set it free.” - Michelangelo

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
"What is evil, anyway?

Is there reason to the rhyme?

Without evil there could be no good

So it must be good to be evil sometime!"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Oliver Stone’s Golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

I guess it could be this but I don't think it was, the animation doesn't really trigger any memory. In my memory it was more of a ninja turtles-style muscular animal guy with a gun busting through some bushes into a peaceful picnic of disney-looking critters, gleefully murdering them all from the get-go.

But I was like 6 or 7 at the time so it could just be cloudy memories at this point.

Maybe a little bit of the music video for “Three Little Pigs”?