Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Recently rewatched An Extremely Goofy Movie after 15 years or so of not seeing it, and there's a lot of animator fetishes being fueled by all the dog women.

Also, what's the explanation for the shading differences between A Goofy Movie and An Extremely Goofy Movie?

A Goofy Movie looks like a standard Disney film, but Extremely has every character being backlit despite the light source of the scene? So everyone looks shiny? But also flat?

Goofy:

Extremely:

Both were made by Disney's secondary animation studios and not the main one, but the quality drop is crazy.

It looks like After Effects lighting, which is stupidly easy cheap to do. Basically you take a mask of the whole character, throw blurry directional lighting on the edges, and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Ccs posted:

Whereas I, some guy with nowhere near the talent of half these animators, started out getting paid $15 per hour as a junior animator in Canada, and now make $23. Nowhere near a princely sum or anything, but fine.

I made $11/hr doing cleanup animation for my first industry job. Even though it required less talent than animating, it was STILL underpaid, especially because it was in Hollywood.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Ccs posted:

drat don't they have guild rates there? I looked at the Animation Guild rates for juniors and it starts out at 70k a year, which is probably more than I'll ever make in my career in Canada. But that's also why studios are trying to get all their movies done abroad now, aside from the huge players like Disney.

Not all studios in LA are unionized. Luckily most are now.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
i know someone working on it who's been seeing finished renders, the studio is probably just delaying release so they can get that sweet, sweet theater money and earn over a billion dollars

lego movie
who framed roger rabbit
aladdin
cloudy with a chance of meatballs
shrek 2

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
maybe A24 can get actual writers for the show to make it interesting

that animation is gonna take forever to get made though, rip underpaid animators

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Why all the making GBS threads on hazbin hotel? It’s gonna get worse now she got picked up by A24 because other indie creators who don’t find success love turning on the ones who do, it’s jealousy *mic drop*

I hate on it because I want it to succeed as an adult animation that isn't ugly and has visual effort put into it. :colbert:

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
the "Spaceship!!!" sequence is one of my absolute all time favorite comedy scenes and it's based on one character's utter joy :3:

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

holy poo poo, i am in LOVE with that brush painting opening title sequence

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Ccs posted:

Spoilers for Mulan I guess but this sequence could be from Kung Pow
https://mobile.twitter.com/slamacao/status/1301994108664328192

it's like the extreme opposite of the Last Airbender earthbending shot but it's still awful, poor overworked editors

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
live action 101 Dalmatians is a delight :colbert:

never saw the original, but I mildly enjoyed the new Pete's Dragon, which makes it my favorite of the new live action remakes by far

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
There's No Place Like Gnome: A Wizard of Oz Story

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Pick posted:

I never really liked it as a kid for whatever reason.

same, also for Pinky and the Brain too

but i loved the hell out of Freakazoid and Road Rovers (tho probably just cuz i liked dogs) even though i never knew when it aired

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

I remember enjoying The Secret of Kells, though I never did watch their other movie

i enjoyed Song of the Sea so much more, but i should give secret of kells a second watch

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
The only good part of Wreck It Ralph 2 is the nightmare fuel at the end. Other than that, it's so corporate and groan-worthy. The world basically copies the Emoji Movie, which was already creatively bankrupt.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I think we ended up liking Soul a ton because we watched Onward the night before and I'd just completely forgotten what a movie with creativity feels like

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I hate that MLP dragon's unsettling Elsa face, but everything else looks great

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I would recommend Mind Game (I think it's the first movie he directed) for the animation and utter creativity, but I wouldn't call it a good film overall.

Edit: same with Your Name (not Yuaasa). Gorgeous to look at and experience but the story always leaves me thinking it needed a few more drafts.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Boxman posted:

Just to pile on, we watched Redline recently and its so rad. Its like the director just did a Scarface-sized pile of coke while watching the Wachoskis' Speed Racer then decided to strip out anything that might be called a plot. I'm not sure its strictly "good", but it's amazing to watch.

Seconded watching Redline just for its artistry. I feel like the ending perfectly sums up that movie's story by having some of the most intense animation and ending with a freeze frame with some half-assed motion graphics of the word "LOVE"

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I don't think you can recreate the Ghibli feeling of animation unless you have really competent CG artists

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

what's it like to be on a show that gets multiple seasons at a time :cry:

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
it has a very similar vibe to Hercules: really fun and pretty fleshed out characters that deserved to be in a better movie. even the villains felt neutered

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Pretty sure I remember Game of Thrones ending with such a wet fart because they didn't want their audience guessing what would happen, and they got Thanos'd out of the cultural zeitgeist real fast

Megera fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 11, 2021

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I've been a storyboard artist on some Family Guy style shows where we are basically keyframe animators since everything gets sent to an overseas studio where the animators don't get paid enough to give a poo poo to add drawings of their own. Initially you start out wide-eyed and redrawing poses but whoops turns out this 2 minute scene is due in 4 days, time to copy, paste, and rotate some limbs!

It's an absolute joy when you get a dramatic or action scene, or something with an elaborate visual gag.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
It also doesn't gently caress up rewatching the rest of the series like Game of Thrones did

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
When I saw Wolfwalkers, I thought Mebh and Robyn were lesbians. The "Running With the Wolves Tonight" segment gave me massive "A Whole New World" vibes. Even just how they behaved around each other before that really made me think they had some puppy love going on. But then they become a family at the end, so uhhh... Guess not.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I like theaters for A/C in the summer, but yeah. I hope they find a way to make more money to keep making animated movies, but there's a 50% chance the theater I was in would have an annoying audience member who would take me out of the movie.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Shrek 2 > Shrek 4 > Shrek :colbert:

I dunno why they skipped "3" in the naming convention, ah well

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
We just finished watching Raya, and FilthyImp's summary is incredibly accurate. What a mediocre movie.

Also in regards to that Moana question, it was like someone said "we loved that Tweeting joke Maui made, let's make more of those!"

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

I know people who worked on this who are LBGTQ who said they loved this show AND working on it, so I'm hoping this is just a bad teaser

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Can confirm re: flag colors being used by people without knowledge by the artists. A gay artist used the colors of the asexual flag in a scene, and the showrunner had him change the colors because none of the asexual characters were in that scene. The artist had no idea he'd used any meaningful color scheme (this was back in 2016ish when pride flags weren't as widely known).

Luca is still hell gay tho

Megera fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 2, 2021

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

dennyk posted:

Porky's got nothing on this masterpiece...

Either version, really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ONIQZdbpwY

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Ccs posted:

I’m not saying some people aren’t having really fun, fulfilling careers but the fact that I have never met an animator over 45 in any of the studios I’ve worked concerns me. I know a supervisor who just turned 50, and there are plenty of directors who are in their late 40s and up, but you never see someone plugging away as a senior animator with grey hair. Maybe I just haven’t worked in the really top tier studios they end up in, or...

I'm finally an episodic director at 33 and I've been increasingly nervous about this. I'm definitely slowing down productivity-wise when I have to storyboard (but idk how much of that is my untreated sleep apnea).

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
"Warner" was said so many times in the first half of the movie (we didn't continue). Did the original mention Warner Bros at all?

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
We're four eps in and still dunno if we like it, but some of the songs are way better than most TV musicals

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Das Boo posted:

I find it exceedingly funny that we were all told to "cut the anime poo poo because it won't get you a job" in art school, and then we all just went out and made anime poo poo.

whenever a board artist on my team asks for reference for an action scene, i'll send them the appropriate sakuga compilation

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I had to double-check it was DreamWorks. It looks fun and not off-putting at all!

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
i'd only ever heard of animation twitter, and my biggest mistake was reading the comments on that tweet

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Toy Story 2 is the best Pixar sequel and the best of the Toy Story franchise :colbert:

Agreed that most of their movies don't warrant sequels. Finding Dory worked for the most part because it follows a different character and ended up being good (not great, but better than Onward and Brave).

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
^^^ Connie is a gem

Ccs posted:

I watched the first season of Big Mouth when it came out and I thought it was pretty funny. I just didn’t feel an impetus to watch the next season though.

We watched season one, and fell off at the beginning of season two. Then a friend said season 3 wasn't that great, but you can start season 4 with the recap and be good. So we did that and thoroughly enjoyed seasons 4 and 5!

I feel bad that I have a friend directing on Human Resources, and I just have no desire to watch it based on the trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Being a 14 year old girl at that time, 9/11 happened, our school had an assembly about it a month later, and that was it. I was busy growing up and doing homework.

My parents, on the other hand, would watch endless Fox News coverage about it.

Oh wait does that guy mean all the Muslim girls in Turning Red should have been getting harassed about wearing religious garb? Cuz that definitely happened.