Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

PenguinKnight posted:

I’ll always love his Tom and Jerry shorts. :(

Seriously, they're wonderful. Dicky Moe is probably my favorite T&J cartoon overall.

(There's a DVD with all of them fully restored, looking and sounding fantastic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

PenguinKnight posted:

I’ll have to get a copy of the dvd then because Dickie Moe is definitely in the top for me!

Here's some caps from the DVD. It has an interview with Deitch and another with historian Jerry Beck, I think. Only $9 on Amazon right now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Does anybody have the Tex Avery screwball classics Vol 1 Blu-ray who would be willing to share their thoughts on it?

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 20, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Neon Noodle posted:

SEE, DISNEY????????? It’s not so fuckin hard to NOT ruin your film restoration :argh:

Disney might be going away from the overdone look. Disney+ has The Sword in the Stone in 4K Dolby Vision and it looks spectacular. Actually has film grain and the color pops like 60s Technicolor. Looks exactly like the sort of remastering Warner has been doing for Blu-ray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

It's very weird how they deal with their properties. Simpsons definitely looks like it was run through an SNES upscaler. Just tons of ruined and smeary fields of color.

Some of their other cartoons look the same, while a Donald Duck short will actually get a little love. It's so random.

That was done by Fox prior to the Disney sale. I think some of the early seasons were remastered by Reliance Mediaworks, while the rest of the pre-HD seasons were not.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Of course it makes sense that the seasons anyone is interested in look like blah :imunfunny:

I suppose a better example would be Mickey's Christmas Carol.

Reliance Mediaworks generally does great work, but they're at the mercy of whatever the studio wants them to do. For example, the first five Disney features look great (they even re-did Pinocchio prior to Blu-ray since the UK DVD that used their first remaster was universally chided), but went a bit too far on Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty.

They absolutely did not handle the final masters for The Sword in the Stone and Mickey's Christmas Carol for the Blu-rays. I don't think anyone figured out what happened, but at some point a filter was applied to the entirety of the film. In fact, you can catch a glimpse of the unfiltered transfer of MCC in the menu screens and it looks gorgeous. It's still astonishing that they never offered replacements for those discs since they're easily the worst-ever major studio releases I've seen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Popeye’ Movie Afloat with King Features

"Animation icon Genndy Tartakovsky is teaming up with King Features to go back to the drawing board on his long-awaited Popeye animated feature, close sources have revealed to Animation Magazine. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I like the new Looney Tunes that I've seen so far (first 4-5 episodes). Great animation, found myself laughing a lot.

Best thing is the return of woohoo Daffy (and possibly coded as queer? Anyone else getting that?)