Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pixar really has 2 movies coming out within 3 months of each other? Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DC Murderverse posted:

after years of animation nerds having to explain to people who don't pay that much attention to who produces things that, no Anastasia is not a Disney film despite looking and sounding exactly like one, the people who don't pay that much attention won in the end. just like everything else in this fuckign country

Same. What's the opposite of vindication? Where you were unequivocally, factually correct about something for years, but then the facts changed to match the misconception?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The deleted intro to the Tangled opening song (on the Blu-ray special features) makes it even better. Maybe it's just another case of deleted-scene-itis, but I sense it was another casualty of their fear of doing an actual princess musical at the time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Peter Jackson was open about being inspired by these films, iirc.

They also both were inspired by the illustrations of the Hildebrandt brothers IIRC, though I'm not sure about that shot specifically.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Invalid Validation posted:

My kid went through a spiderverse stage and I must have seen it 20 times and I never got sick of it. When Peter dies in the beginning it’s a real kick in the nuts.

I'm looking forward to when my kid inevitably goes through that same stage so I can rewatch it a hundred times. Won't be for a while, mostly for the spoilered reason. Bit much for a little kid's first Spider-Man movie.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rather than having the good fortune of watching Spiderverse on repeat, I'm now finally getting around to seeing The Good Dinosaur. This movie is so weird that it almost wraps around to being good, but it kind of just falls short of being anything at all. No doubt largely due to all the changes in the creative team.

It's the only animated movie I've ever seen where the environments are so insanely realistic that the characters look greenscreened into their own movie. It feels like they have a totally different lighting model on them (maybe they do), and I actually had to go double check that I wasn't getting confused with Dinosaur which was indeed CGI creatures on real backgrounds.

Story-wise, it's a mess. A lot of threads just get dropped or don't end up being important. Arlo is motivated to get home before winter so he can help his mother, but when he does get home, she seems to already be done with everything. His siblings also end up being largely unnecessary characters. And they assert that he's finally worthy of "making his mark" but all he really did was get lost and then get back home. You could even go so far as to argue that the human character is unnecessary, although I guess that's getting into "Raiders would've played out the same way if Indiana Jones wasn't in it" territory, which somewhat misses the point.

Overall it has the makings of a nice detour from the manic pace and comedy of the usual kids' movie, it just needed some more story work... or perhaps less.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 15, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Fartington Butts posted:

Wasn't there... scientologist pterodactyls in there somewhere? Or was that a dream I had since I was watching it half-asleep on the plane.

Not really Scientologist specifically, but a cult that worships the storm, yeah.

I'm just gonna link it because the title of the video is a spoiler, in case anyone cares, but this scene is one of the most jarring IMO in terms of characters vs. background. It looks so greenscreened even though obviously it isn't.
https://youtu.be/96lLPwmUhpM

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bongo Bill posted:

Toy Story 4 is not really a continuation of its predecessors. Rather, it takes their established concept of living toys whose lives revolve around being playthings, and tells a new story about faith and community using their same vocabulary.

Necessary? Certainly not. Each of the previous ones was already a complete story requiring no further elaboration. But that's not the right metric to judge it by. No movie really needs to exist, y'know?

They should do a movie called Toy Story Movie Story where all the Toy Story movies explore the question of whether they really need to exist.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

My kids have moved on to The Little Mermaid, and I'm happy to say that drat, those songs really hold up. It's easy to see why this was such a big deal.

The description they give it on the Disney+ page is weirdly low-key though:

quote:

Dive into Disney fun with Ariel in The Little Mermaid
It sounds like the ad copy for a coloring book or something

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Robindaybird posted:

Who the gently caress wanted a reboot of Johnny test?

Test audiences

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Has anyone watched Balto recently? We just watched that live action Togo movie and now I'm kinda itching to revisit the historically inaccurate original.

Yes, it holds up pretty well. It's a pretty high-quality production.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently they did quite a bit of research into voodoo, and made sure that they didn't use any authentic symbols or glyphs in the movie, as to not evoke anything unnecessarily.

Thanks, this will be a useful tidbit to repeat to the grandparents when they inevitably get weirded out by my kids watching that movie.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Just watched Toy Story 4 on Disney+. First impression is, there's always been an undercurrent of existential dread in the series, but they really laid it on thick this time, huh? Kind of a drag. I'm not sure I'll bother showing this one to the kids for a while, even though I'm sure they'll eventually realize it exists.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

flashy_mcflash posted:

How long has Asylum been making dollar store knockoffs of animated movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS89Q6bG8LM

"An orc-ish journey of elvish proportions"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I only recently saw it and it's definitely very good, kind of hard to objectively judge it against my favorites from childhood, but it's good. I think with a few tweaks it would be up there. There's a vague sense of everyone involved being a little bit rusty and not being able to give 100%. Randy Newman was not a bad choice for the songs since he has some New Orleans connections, but the arrangements feel "small". I also don't really care for Tiana's singing voice, it feels too clean and mature (not that Belle and Ariel were exactly youthful, maybe the style was a better fit though). But it's still at least as good as something like Lady and the Tramp, I'd say. I also appreciate the setting, which feels very authentic... based on the one time I went to NOLA, so I guess that has to be taken with a grain of salt, but it seemed pretty legit...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pixeltendo posted:

I was watching Toy Story 4 for the second time since the theater viewing.

Why did they give Buzz the case of the stupids for this movie? it's really jarring.

So they can sell Toy Story 4 branded Buzz toys.

Though that didn't stop them with Barbie. Pretty sure she's not even in the movie (probably in the background somewhere) but she still gets TS4 toys.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

blast0rama posted:

Looks like Sony is testing the next steps of the tech used on INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE on CONNECTED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toBGv7yvIV8

The movie could be whatever, but the animation looks great.

This looks phenomenal on multiple levels. I'm definitely starting to see a pattern with Lord & Miller's stuff, but it's not one that I'm tired of yet.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Macaluso posted:

Start giving the animated film oscar to Sony Pictures Animation even if the movie isn't good cause they do stuff Disney and Pixar just don't visually

I mean, Spiderverse did get one, there just wasn't really anything else with a high enough profile this past year unless I'm forgetting

paradoxGentleman posted:

See, the animation is very good and interesting. I agree with that.

But man, am I just not interested in the movie version of those "millennials sure are addicted to their phones" political comic strips

I'm not intimately familiar with everyone involved in the production, so we'll see, but Lord & Miller have a good enough track record that I'm expecting quite a bit more nuance than that. Hope I'm not wrong.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

As one of the people Inside Out just didn't work for: if I could pick one word to describe Pixar's movies for most of the past decade it would be "forced". They used to be so bouyant and energetic and full of imagination, and now... They still usually have some strong core idea, but it feels like all the excitement fades after the idea stage but they still just have to make the movie anyway. It's a stark contrast with a movie like Spiderverse or even Boss Baby where it feels like everyone involved was having a blast.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ballz posted:

For all of its unevenness in recent years, I will say I'm pretty excited for Pixar's second movie this year: Soul.

-Written/Directed by Pete Doctor
-Soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
-Questlove is in it
-Jazz

I... don't think Trent and Atticus are doing any of the actual jazz music for the movie but if they are...?

John Batiste is also involved, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMLL23l79KU

They'll probably do more than you'd think. (They are also scoring some movie about Citizen Kane which is only going to use period-appropriate instruments.)

That's definitely a must-see movie for me as well, though I remain skeptical about it, especially since on the surface it sounds so much like Coco.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Welp, Frozen 2 is coming to Disney+ on Sunday instead of 3 months from now, as a goodwill gesture to parents quarantined at home with kids. Well played, guess I know what I'm watching.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Yeah, I have to say $20 is reasonable considering the pretty high chance more than one person will be viewing it. Sucks for people who want to watch it solo, but I don't really see a way around that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

After a few days, my impression of Frozen 2 is: it's a pretty good album that happens to have a movie attached to it.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Jesus Christ, you people can't be serious about Boss Baby. Just an absolute turd through and through

Actually... it is good

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 18, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Onward available for digital purchase TODAY, Disney+ in 2 weeks

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Somehow I got into my head the idea of The Darkness covering "Lost In the Woods" from Frozen 2, and now I can't stop thinking about it

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Frozen 2 is basically an anime too. Half of what happens is just kinda made up on the spot and vaguely assumed to be because of magic, and then someone gets all angsty, and there's some pretty good music

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Boxman posted:

gently caress it just re-use the Nick Wilde assets, bring Jason Bateman back

Re-using assets again would be ridiculously meta

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I'm betting that the Chinese market is no small part of their plan for that movie, so that might be the main driver for that release date even if it ends up not working out stateside.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

So, Onward is a pretty solid little movie in the vein of other "fantasy meets real life" movies from the '80s and '90s. Not something I'll remember for the rest of my life, but pretty enjoyable.

It does have one, and only one, thing in common with The Good Dinosaur: an overexplained "What If" setting that ends up not really feeling necessary. Very little about the story would've changed if the characters were just humans who were aware of D&D stuff and then found out it was real. A little less original I guess, but if they're not really gonna do anything with the unique setting other than some background gags... This seems to be a pattern, as I know TGD was originally going to be this whole "what if dinosaurs but suburban" thing. Someone keeps having that idea and it never really works out.

E: Also, this really doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the movie, but I do have to wonder if Jack Black was ever in consideration to play Barley. Because the most succinct description of the character is just "Jack Black"

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 19, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Shaocaholica posted:

So in Frozen 2 when Elsa makes Olaf again at the end is that a new Olaf? And Olaf prime really did just die in that cave?

Olaf the above

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CaptainCrunch posted:

I feel like the line weight is off. The lines seem razor thin, and don't have the "character" of the pencil lines Photostatted onto cels the originals had.

Regardless of the exact process, my exact thought was the lines are too thin.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The_Doctor posted:

But for that price, you’ve actually bought the film, no?

Yes but you could essentially argue the same thing about going to the theater. The difference there is theoretically a better experience, and seeing it earlier. The first of which is becoming less and less relevant/true.

I do think including some kind of discount on buying the home version later is probably a good idea.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

KFP1 is great, but I have an irrationally strong dislike of the villain's voice casting. It just feels way off. KFP2 definitely wins in that regard.

Edit: to clarify, not knocking the performance per se. I just don't like that voice coming out of that character.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 18, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Atlantis came out during my edgy teen phase so I have no idea how good it actually was. I was easily impressed by anything that was "mature" and slightly reminiscent of anime. At the time, though, I was quite convinced everyone was missing out.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

It's hard to pinpoint because they were all around the same time, but I always put the downturn right around Pocahontas, which has its own host of problems aside from having to follow The Lion King. (I'm not the biggest fan of TLK personally, but it's objectively pretty impressive.) And I agree that regardless of the quality of the movies, their target audience was getting "too cool" for them, and the attempts to grab their attention didn't work.
And of course, Pixar was the new hotness. Toy Story came out between Pocahontas and Hunchback. Kind of a perfect storm really.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 30, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

paradoxGentleman posted:

The thing is, though, Hercules isn't really trying to be faithful to Greek mythology. I'd go as far as to say that that and Hunchback needed some degree of sanitation before being peddled to kids. I doubt the average ten years old would have survived unscarred from watching the protagonist he's been cheering for kill his own wife and children.

Yeah it's really easy to see why they didn't go with the "real" story, and it's not like that stuff is all 100% consistent anyway.

Lindsay Ellis did a good analysis of it, as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KznZcK7ksf4

I agree that the tone is really inconsistent and the main character is super dull. (Basically the same problem Superman often has, which they obviously also borrowed really heavily from.) And interestingly, apparently it was made as sort of an obligation to support the team's real passion project at the time which was... Treasure Planet.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Alice in Forbidden Wonderland
The Forbidden Rescuers Down Under
James and the Giant Forbidden Peach
Big Forbidden 6
Forbidden Inside Out
Forbidden Moana
Forbidden Gigantic

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

There's a new trailer for Soul, presumably to show off the new release date (11/20/20), but it's probably no accident that it also focuses way more on the "being black in America" stuff and has basically none of the supernatural stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYcwbEL-pg

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I feel like you're giving too much credit to the trailer by saying that it focuses, or even mentions, "being black in America".

I wasn't sure how else to put it, I mean obviously it's not like he gets pulled over and beaten or whatever, but you can definitely sense a mandate of "show more black stuff"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Yeah it's fine. It's basically an '80s "fantasy in real life" movie. I do question if the setting was really necessary, as it would be almost the same movie if it were just humans discovering that their D&D stuff is real. It's a little bit of that Good Dinosaur thing where they went through more trouble than they needed to establish the setting. I think this wouldn't be a problem at all if they had a little more fun with it, but it felt sort of obligatory.