Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Hedrigall posted:

Idiots spent hundreds of millions making toys look real when they could have just done it with stop motion and actual toys on a robot chicken budget

They could have!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg_vWCUxAHc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think the simpsons movie is, secretly, very very good. The best expressions of themes of nature and community are silent, saying so much with just drawings of trees. According to the commentary they made it in a year and a half which seems insane! Sincerely Christian.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Have you guys seen tezuka's metropolis? You should try to watch that, it's amazing and I don't think mulan is in it at all. It's full of lively robots.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
There's good stuff in rock a doodle, and cooler stuff they cut, and I think anastasia and titan ae are competent at least, if ungood. Exhaustion was probably a part of why that troll crap sucked, and that he and his team seemed much better at dark stuff and were for some reason veering more toward the little kids market. He probably didn't understand kids, central park, trolls, or any of that, all his best work is about death.

Again, about Tezuka Metropolis, its cool that it presents an overtly opposite perspective on robots and labor and the ending!!! than the Fritz Lang Metropolis. Actually it has similar perspectives on labor but it is much more cynical. Also you ever hear about fritz lang lamenting metropolises use as a propagandic vehicle later in life

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's not as silly or ridiculous as the flintstones, but it's not exactly a documentary either.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
We need a new entry in the sherlock gnomes trilogy. I'm on the edge of my seat thinking how it will turn out!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm just saying he steals the show.

I mean it too, Gnomeo is a mean little weenie about him.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Thompsons posted:

also it ends with a dance party

There are several dance parties in the middle as well, at least in Sherlock Gnomes

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
"When in Gnome"

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Gnome if you want to, Gnome around the world

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Gnoman is an island

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ccs posted:

I rewatched the 2001 anime Metropolis movie yesterday for the first time in years. It's an odd film. Tezuka's Disney-esque designs wandering around an 80s anime city, like seeing Pinocchio walk into Akira. Because of how much the movie tries to show, the characters don't get developed much. We know their motivations at least, and maybe that's enough. The real draw of the movie is the visuals and music, and despite some dated cg it still looks incredible. The final explosion combined with "I Can't Stop Loving You" isn't quite earned, because the romance between the two protagonists felt like rather shallow puppy love, but you sort of forget because of how great the animation looks.

I would hesitate to call it romance, but it works because of its simplicity. Tima's "father" is trying to game her as a kind of false messiah, her "brother," is jealous because he thinks the empire should be his. Kenichi, being a kid, takes her at face value and easily becomes her friend, like he also does with the big silly robot. Like everyone else in the movie is trying to either build or destroy a social machine, but both sides are blind to how the machine is functioning, to their detriment or to their benefit. The kids just accept it, they're already living there.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think if a movie is computer animated there is no need for it to look more visually complicated than toy story, ratatoing, or the globgogabgilab

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Neon Noodle posted:

I like how this Snrub thinks

To think, Snrub's and Srehtims's dramatic escape was nothing but a xeroxed pencil drawing.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Slashrat posted:

Counterpoint: The LEGO Movie

The attention to detail really helps sell that experience and people who think otherwise must have had the dullest childhoods ever.

It's incredibly impressive but in service of a commercial. Now, if we were talkin' "Happy Feet"...

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

FilthyImp posted:

That's an incredibly dumb take when the filmmakers took the care to reconstruct things that were familiar to people who owned Lego.

Like the weak point in the space helmet plastic.

Sure, but that's part of the commercial! It makes you fondly associate it with your own childhood memory, Making it more likely you will buy your own son a lego set and be as big in his eyes as his hero, will ferrell. Commercials are very snappily produced.

And this isn't a problem I have with just the lego movie either, I have it with toy story and a lot of the cgi movie industry. They're very good at elciting a strong emotional reaction, i think frozen and stuff can be qualified as having good lighting and anime and so forth, but behind that a bunch of people work high stress jobs plopping out plastic elsas and olafs and so forth by the tens of thousands down huge metal chutes. Why? You can carve a doll out of a stump.

And not to knock the effort either, I found the guy's technical cinematography blog https://www.expandedcinematography.com/ which seems cool. He did the Owls of Ga'Hoole, a much better movie that uses its budget to make sort of a baroque mockery. But not everything needs to be like that is just my point, You can make effective stuff with simple tools.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I don't like GI Joe either! But there's room for more stuff than that, there's films people make with grants and for museums or just by themselves.

What I'm saying is The stuff that looks overexpensive is attempting to create an idea that CGI (and 2d, 90s disney stuff is a lot of this) needs to look expensive and have some impossible photoreal lens simulation engine and render farm for a short about two umbrellas. There are really accessible tools and I'm more interested in what weirdo auteurs or troupes can do with that, and what they are saying and with what "panache." Who will be the rudy ray moore of computer graphics? The Harold Lloyd? The Blair Witch Kids?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The unmade John and Faith Hubley and/or Gene Deitch version of Charlotte's web sounded cool! https://www.awn.com/animationworld/charlottes-tangled-web

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
All dogs are to be visited by three ghosts in the night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1xMKL_XxXQ

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
A Bug's Life is better than Toy Story!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
And yet, no Family Circus Movie. 30 years at Disney, no movie. A once in a lifetime slam dunk, ignored

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think they look ,like the Tiny Toons

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Tim Allen? Cancelled by disney for tweeting communist manifesto.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The lightyear movie must end with stinky pete trying to sabatoge the mission, cut off the oxygen, destroy the rocket on the launchpad, something like that. It is the only way I will not demand my money back, my family's money back, their family's money back, and so on.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Pick posted:

I assume that he does run into evil Emperor Zerg, his father

He either has an evil kingdom in space, or is part of the russian space program.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The Gym in the original was a 3D set!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Animal and Penelope Cat

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Here's a better animated movie idea: A talking chicken sandwich from a world of such sandwiches crosses over into what he calls the "real world," emerging from a manhole in times square in new york city, and is horrified to see the people of earth eating chicken sandwiches and tenders and the like. However, he has never seen and does not understand what a chicken is, and becomes angered still upon being taken to a farm until he can no longer understand his old reality. He is taken BACK to his old reality, where he claims they come from creatures called "chickens," and is taken to an insane asylum and beaten and tortured until he is returned to reason. Then, walking across the same bridge he travels every night, he finds a robed human being, the same man who had taken him in the first place. The man reveals himself the be the Caliph, says the whole this was all a game, and grants the chicken sandwich a place in his court.

Million Dollars, day one!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I have a short animation, that I made, ready for view this Boxing Day.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/775794

One week only! May the Force Be With You.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
People seem pretty touchy about animation being perceived as for kids, but I think at least Toy Story 4 should be. Toys, surely, must be for kids.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

BonoMan posted:

I just cannot fathom a 27 year old, somehow having never seen a previous Pixar film, deciding to go watch Toy Story 4 for whatever reason... And then deducing their entire opinion of Pixar films based off of that. Completely divorced of the multitudes of critical acclaim and billions upon billions of dollars in box office revenue

Not to speak for this alleged 27 year old, but it seems reasonable to go to a pixar movie, see it is no longer entertaining kids, or the adult it is also made for, and decide maybe thirty years of gas was all in that tank.

Tagline for Soul:
"What if your soul came to life when nobody was looking?"

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Does the film ever resemble jazz visually, like in the way a good Bill Melendez cartoon sometimes can?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Hsi9Xjw8M

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I would like to see a real debate where it is decided if SU is good or bad, once and for all! But both sides need to show their work, there is too much conjecture.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

FilthyImp posted:

SU is good because it has a single dad being a supportive and positive (if somewhat absent) role model for the son, and dealing with the onslaught of puberty in a positive and accepting way.

It also tries to be inclusive by showcasing different ethnicities and orientations, and deals with anxieties of friendships, professional relationships, and romantic interests.

Primarily, it works to show that children have to deal with the bullshit foisted upon by their parents (either through genetics, actions, or seeming legacies), and must work to become their own people (hopefully learning that parents are fallible in the process).

Also it cribs liberally and heavily from Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Theoretically all positive, but how does the show itself support these themes? We gotta see some proofs, in the writing and directing.

Schwarzwald posted:

Before we can mathematically prove the goodness of SU we must first establish this lemma: that the comet arc of Adventure Time was good.

Both would have been great, if they had been movies. And there's at least a good movie's worth of SU.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The part at the beginning of Soul with all the the souls sitting in a movie theater, and also the moving filmstrip into the exploding star felt oddly scientologist-y.

But on the whole deeply unimaginative!! I was really disappointed with it. The cubist 2D characters were a nice touch, but the whole environment they and the souls lived in felt like a blank coloring book. And maybe that's the point, that life is the thing with the substance, but there are so many abstract ways to define unsubstance! They could have gone super abstract and done anything but kept going back to the most basic understanding of "void." What if the void was beautiful? Could that present a challenge to the character, that he wouldn't want to leave, or he's losing himself? All the spiritual questions the movie asks are in the material world, but presents the common knowledge afterlife, souls look like blue minions, babies live in limbo, the afterlife is an reused special effect from 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Also weird that Joe doesn't have much in the way of musician friends! Just an ex-student calling him to get a gig. Gigs, according to his mother, he is wasting his life in pursuit of, that he is also not gaining connections at? The social aspect of music (and all the other arts) is huge, and finding camaraderie in a group of artists is a specific, beautiful meaning of life. How did the group of artists making this one miss it? We don't see almost any of Joe's life before he dies! And the only thing he learns from doing music with a quartet is, "this is your crappy day job now?" Boo! Booooooo!

It's just such a limp movie! Theologically, from a character motivation standpoint, and ESPECIALLY because the two never meet in a meaningful way. It's like Monkeybone without flavor. RIP MoonBeam.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Probably should've spoiled that last bit there.

The people need to know. He would have wanted it that way.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

galenanorth posted:

They already did that in the end credits of Monsters, Inc. with Sully and Mike, though

This is a trend with Randy Newman and the movies he scored with this particular group of people. There's two songs from two movies about the amazing lives of bugs.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

perepelki posted:

hey good lookin' is great. it has everything i enjoy - virile anti-cop sentiment, cruelty to italians, a black gang as antagonists who are honestly more reasonable and socially constructive than the protagonists, homoeroticism

c**nskin has its moments of high art but i'd struggle to recommend it to anybody unless i knew it was their particular jam. it does seem like the one film where bakshi oversteps the line in regards to depicting black characters and culture, and it's not one of his more coherent works on top of that, but its good moments are really good and its depiction of the mafia is one for the ages. (again, i love all his italian characters. there have clearly been many interesting italians in his life, something i sympathise with.)

heavy traffic, wizards and american pop are his most unashamedly jewish works, and my three favourites. heavy traffic and wizards are just magical because there was so little executive input into them. they're just pure unadulterated energy from a slightly deranged young creative genius. wizards in particular i suspect was first dreamed up when he was a kid, and i mean that in a totally positive way. heavy traffic is deeply precious on an artistic and historical level in many ways i won't go into just now because i'm drinking prosecco and may get emotional

lotr and cool world are their own thing altogether. the only films i haven't seen yet are fritz the cat, because crumb, and fire and ice, because again, no good weed since march 2020

Crumb hates the Fritz movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

perepelki posted:

thank you :unsmith:

i don't sell my art anywhere, or actually ever share it with anyone, so your kind words mean a lot to me

and yes, they are quail! i am a quail enthusiast

Do you ever share art in a public community space, like an art student's league or a co-op?