Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/RinnySega/status/1212180681343692800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Anastasia isn't a Disney movie, is it?

Doesn't Disney own the rights to it now that they bought Fox?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

All life on earth goes into a coma except for dogs who become immortal and invincible and can fly and teleport and speak telepathically then begin to form a telepathic hive mind so dogs can receive judgement from a literal living star who has seen the coming nuclear annihilation of earth at the hands of man.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The dogs no longer need to eat or drink and all machines do their bidding and they form a one world dog government in england so all the dogs are coming to england except rolly who got a double dose of dog magic so he would have time to go to france and gently caress some random french dogs like he apparently always wanted.

also curela's house looks like it's made of living meat and they break in to kill her in her sleep but decide that is too cruel (but also she now only wears clothes made of metal so she was sleeping in a hard aluminum dress and they may not have been able to harm her anyway)

I don't believe you.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My 3 year old just watched Bambi for the first time.

"Oh no! He lost his Momma."

My wife "What happened?"

..."She went to the market?" :thunk:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Still surprised that there wasn't more noise about that series.

Never watched it, give us the details

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

My wife and I got back into our Disney rewatch and rewatched Pocahontas which is somehow much worse than I remember. A few random thoughts on it:

-- It's like if Gaston made a movie about himself
-- The backgrounds are very pretty, but the more realistic characters are atrocious. There is something so off about Pocahontas's running cycle
-- Jim Cummings is very distracting
-- It's really sad how Disney did straight up forget how to make musicals for a bit after Ashman. Even with Lion King, the songs feel less embedded with the film, but in Pocahontas it feels like there are at least two aborted songs and it's really weird.
--Savages is the only good song, but it's just a poor ripoff of "Kill the Beast"

It isn't a good movie, but Colors of the Wind is absolutely magnificent.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Superrodan posted:

I have to imagine this was discussed a thousand times behind the scenes (and if I'm honest I would bet that Lin Manuel Miranda expected they would use their own version when he wrote that) and they must have decided against it for some good reason. It might be as simple as thinking it would be too distracting of a moment since it has nothing to do with this moment, or maybe they didn''t want to have to switch their animation styles partway through one song just for one quick line or something.

Also, why would they have their Hercules cowardly run away for Cerberus? That doesn't sound like good brand synergy to me.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Pixeltendo posted:

I can only imagine an Encanto sequel is going to answer questions nobody really wanted answers to, like what the deal with the magic candle is, or whats beyond the walls, and then give Mirabel a power completing under-cutting the point of the first film.

She already has a reality warping musical power, it's just that it's so all encompassing that nobody has noticed. :colbert:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Calaveron posted:

It grosses me out how they make the joke that Dale is now CG when all the cartoon characters are obviously CG too except cel shaded

https://twitter.com/JWCartoonist/status/1493636029529661449

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ccs posted:

Berserk has the art style switch in that you can see the same scene done with a tv budget vs film budget. The film goes much heavier on atmosphere and using fancy camera moves, the tv series goes for reaction shots and stays very true to the manga’s framing. Not sure which I prefer but it’s interesting to see the comparison.

https://youtu.be/Q5jAOIrs7O8

There a similar thing that happens in Rurouni Kenshin where the shinsenguimi raid is depicted in the tv series with strong poses and framing and in the OVA with a ton more actual movement. Only the OVA scene is up on YouTube at the moment. There used to be a video comparing the two but it got taken down

https://youtu.be/gy-0vS1rwvQ

Kenshin is interesting because it’s been done in so many styles. Two very different takes in animation, then a much later and worse take also in animation that coincided with some fairly decent live action films. And apparently yet another anime is coming down the pipe next year or so.

The OVA is really incredible. Definitely my favortie anime adaptation that I can think of.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Ahahah the first reply I saw said seriously that it's not that, they're just complaining about the generic cal arts style. For the CGI film

I saw a review on Rotteb Tomatoes call it out for "hideous" Cal art style, but he still gave it 2 and a half stars, because he liked eveything else about it.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 13, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Hilarious interview about all the 4*Town members

https://slate.com/culture/2022/03/turning-red-4-town-boy-bands-domee-shi-interview.html

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shammypants posted:

Encanto avoids the problems of Turning Red in a number of ways. First, it's a period piece of the late 1940s and early 1950s. It doesn't describe how South Americans are now per se, but provides some mythology along with South America storytelling styles to make the story relatable to those alive today. Of course it's not relatable to every South American or Colombian for that matter, and the theme could relate to many populations traumatized by war or other violence (i.e. the story could easily be about a village of Rwandans or Syrians). Turning Red probably would resonate with anyone who has overbearing parents in childhood as well. Second, characters are situated among a broader community of individuals living normal 1950s lives in Colombia. Aside from a matriarch figure that may be common among South American households I don't see a lot of other tropes in the film, at least none that are commonly assumed of Colombians/South Americans living in the world today.

I guess it's worth noting that my experiences, my community growing up, my wife's community growing up etc. isn't the end all be all of experiences. One person's experiences doesn't make the director's experiences untrue or an exaggeration unworthy of cinema, but it doesn't make it necessarily broadly relatable either. Again, to me, this felt like the palatable, comfortable and familiar stereotypical view of what an Asian family is like to Americans/Canadians today. I would still rate the movie a 3.5/5 just because the focus on friendship and coming of age was quite good. It just doesn't rate among the better Pixar movies, just like Encanto doesn't rate among the best Disney movies to me.

I'm trying to figure out if I am just not as interested in Disney/Pixar films anymore or if their recent work is just not completely hitting all the marks like their older films did. Between Encanto, Luca, Onward and Turning Red I feel like they could all be better in different ways, but are still enjoyable for what they are.

1950s? I thought it was 1910s.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Do we see a car/truck in the movie?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Das Boo posted:

allbrownpeoplelookthesame.tweet

e: Or .mov really, but .tweet was dumber.
Eh...Elsa's face looks exactly like Anna's who looks exactly like Rapunzel's. It's definitely a problem with Disney computer animation.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Lol, what a bunch of transparent cowards

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1646086141408591872

https://twitter.com/SpencerKlavan/status/1645544989693288449

https://twitter.com/SpencerKlavan/status/1645544993661042690

https://twitter.com/SpencerKlavan/status/1645546283246002182

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Estimates I've seen are anywhere from a 37 to 45 percent domestic dropoff. If that 37 is right Mario could be a contender for top ten domestic box offices ever.

Get ready to see a lot more Chris Pratt!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

MokBa posted:

Fox in Space captures a very, very specific tone just perfectly. It feels like watching TV late at night when you’re a kid and you see something that you don’t really understand that’s kind of silly and low budget but somehow relentlessly cool. Maybe you were drifting in and out of sleep and then years later you suddenly remember it but you aren’t sure whether it was a dream you had.

This was "The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island" for me.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I have encountered parents bringing very young children to venom and deadpool 2, of course in both instances the relevant child bawled and shrieked at all the horror and violence onscreen pissing everyone off lmao

Not as bad as the Mom who brought a toddler to the remake of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Robindaybird posted:

Definitely remember seeing the nightmare sequence from Terminator 2 (and other parts) when I was a very young kid and having nightmares over it.

But definitely wish parents wouldn't stop being loving idiots and aware other people exist in theaters. Definitely recall someone bringing their toddler to a late night ballet performance (starting about 8pm ending about 10pm), so already kid's gonna be cranky about being up late, then something scared 'em and they kept bawling until the ushers had to go in and ask the parents to take the kid to the lobby, not a single attempt to soothe or calm the kid all the while.

I saw Aliens when I was 2nd or 3rd grade. Definitely had nightmares about it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno I feel like the storyline of the bully (who is often also heavily spoiled and rich) and the bullied becoming friends has been done to death at this point too especially for female characters. The movie has many other problems, but I think its also good to occasionally acknowledge that bullies can just be assholes and its pointless to try and befriend them.

Yeah, but not because it's racial destiny for them to be assholes. That's hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

My Pixar rankings:

13) Finding Nemo (3.5/5)

Unfathomably low ranking

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 25, 2023