Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Spies in Disguise reminds me of Batman in the sense that while Walter is admirable in that he has a 'no killing' rule, some of the non-lethal tech he develops is super hosed up, like the pen that liquifies your bones. And for a significant part of the story, that power is controlled by a regular run of the mill pigeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Shadow Hog posted:

I did notice that Thumbelina was on Disney Plus already, so that might help you out a bit.

Anastasia somehow wasn't, which is a shame.

Anastasia isn't a Disney movie, is it?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Phylodox posted:

Thumbelina is Warner, Anastasia is Fox. So, if anything, it would make more sense for the latter film to be on Disney+.

Oh that's right, Disney owns everything

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Alhazred posted:

I didn't even remember that there was an opening song.

"When Will My Life Begin?"

My favorite part of the song is that it starts at 7 am, she does all this stuff and then has this WTF intonation when she sings "7:15?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AyUovLL7Q

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

You could argue the collider portal thing had a limited range, so at most maybe five kingpins are affected.

whoops, just in case anyone still cared

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wasnt Johnny Test like the inverse of Dexter's Lab

Johnny was a regular kid with super smart twin sisters who experimented on him

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Uncle Wemus posted:

B-B-B-BUT THATS THE POOR BOX!!

Robin Hood is my favorite Disney movie ever, so hats off to you for this reference

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I enjoyed Sonic a ton. It made me think of the director's tweet about the backlash and really wanting to get Sonic right. After seeing the movie, I feel like that tweet was made sincerely and not just some kind of marketing ploy. All the performances were great, and I knew the after credits stinger was either going to be Tails or Knuckles, so as a younger brother relegated to playing Tails all the time I was over the moon that it was Tails and that he was as fast as Sonic (as he had to be in the games).

Carrey being 90s Carrey was great too and I can't wait for the sequel.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Robotnik is the "I studied the blade" meme come to life

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

DC Murderverse posted:

ugh guys stop talking about your dumb video game movie and start talking about mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgIPtEwy8k

that looks very 90s but not in a good way

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

it's the precursor to the near future cyberpunk dystopian zoos because we have killed all the animals

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I saw Onward and all I could think of was Peter Parker on a road trip with Rex Dangervest

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

This timeline sure feels like it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Phylodox posted:

gently caress movie theatres. When all this is over, they can transition themselves into live entertainment venues. Plays and concerts for everyone!

If they can roll all the fathom events into the a List sub, I would pay an extra 10 :fivecbux:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

doomrider7 posted:

Man you need one those dine-in AMC's.

https://imgur.com/gallery/rtQSirv

A fascinating case of 100% accurate advertisement.

Once theaters come back and I get a bunch of A-List bucks I'm definitely ordering this burger. They have a shrimp bowl that looks pretty good as well.

And no lie, sometimes when I need a boost, I'll pull up Endgame and Sonic the Hedgehog audience reaction videos on Youtube. They just reminded me of my great experiences watching those movies.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Phylodox posted:

You need less sleep as you get older, not more.

I definitely want more sleep though

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mulan will release on Disney+ on September 4th

hell yeah

ThermoPhysical posted:

but Disney is charging a $30 fee to watch it thier new "premium access" thing.

oh wack

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

can I emptyquote this forever

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

i just hope it's Fat Megaman from the game box art

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

paradoxGentleman posted:

If anything, giving Mulan superpowers weakens her whole character. Part of her arc is that, in order to save her father from certain death in the frontlines, she's taking his place despite the risk of being discovered AND the fact that she has no idea how to be a soldier, or even convincingly pretend to be male. It was cool! I mean, she didn't fit in the mold that her society had for her, but that doesn't automatically mean that she's going to know her way around the male role.

Mulan is anti-Rey, a girl so gifted in the Force chi, she uses it to fight for the evil empire

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Totally only tangentially related, but has anyone tried the Disney+ groupwatch feature?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I'd watch the CGI lion king if they swapped out all the voices for real animal sounds and had it narrated by David Attenborough.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

flashy_mcflash posted:

He absolutely wants to gently caress the Nazi plane

Zero... -chan?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Argue posted:

Is the basketball thing a reference I'm not getting?

The Knicks are a bad team, and now we know why

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

The_Doctor posted:

Jon Batiste's jazz pieces are also utterly fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKJcpAwcNbc

The way his right hand floats over those high arpeggios in this piece is just transportive.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

mulan was definitely not worth anything extra, shame

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

A huge chunk of the initial teaser trailer is focused on young Raya-in-training which I found a little boring, but I'm totally digging the vibe of the new trailer.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

The_Doctor posted:

My first idea for a DC Laika film would be Super-Sons, focussing on Jon Kent and Damian Wayne.

Slap Billy Batson on there and I'm in

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

paradoxGentleman posted:

https://twitter.com/JamaalBradley/status/1364253481889005570?s=09

This looks nice. Kind of reminds me of Into the Spiderverse

Pete Ramsey, one of the ITSV's directors, is a producer on this, so I'm excited.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

FilthyImp posted:

While it took a bit for Kora to grow on me, I absolutely loved the hell out of the weird mishmash of noir, steampunk, East-Meets-West poo poo that the world of Avatar evolved into. They really created a great springpad from the Eastern Spirtualism Tribes in AtLA.

I'm stoked about the Avatarverse with the original creators coming back

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

The new Tom and Jerry movie came out. Jerry still an rear end in a top hat.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Larryb posted:

Most important question: do they talk and is it any better than the one from the 90’s?

I haven't seen the one from the 90s so I can't comment on that, but, no, it is not good.

Spoilers, I guess:

Every animal (that I can recall) is animated. Tom and Jerry themselves don't talk but the others can. Tom and Jerry speak in cartoony charades, which is probably the best gag in the movie.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Larryb posted:

Neither have I but it was apparently terrible (as is this one it would seem from looking up the plot description but the main duo staying silent this time is at least a step up).

I lied, the best joke in the movie happens in the first five minutes, so just watch that part and know it goes downhill from there

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The Aladdin tv series inspired a lot of stuff for my dungeons and dragons campaign. The show was basically Al-Qadim: the Series, but better because it also had insect-themed steam robots and Vikings.

And sand witches!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Hedrigall posted:

Raya and the Last Dragon is getting super good reviews, currently 95% on RT with 79 reviews.

Also apprently it’s 1h54m long, which, is that the longest WDAS movie? What are the longest animated movies anyway? I know some anime films top 2 hours but I can’t think of any Disney or Pixar ones that do

I’m so excited but I may have to wait a week or so before I watch it because some friends are coming to visit the following weekend and they want to see it too

I hope it's successful if only because Star Wars did Kelly Marie Tran dirty

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Larryb posted:

Screw that noise, Looney Tunes Show Lola is the only good Lola in my opinion.

This was when she was Bugs's crazy girlfriend, right?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

holy cow this is amazing

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

JazzFlight posted:

I liked Raya on the whole, I'd say it's a solid 8, but there's definitely a part of me that's disappointed in something: the worldbuilding. There's a portion of the movie that I thought would be an amazing setting for a show, game, comic, etc... (it's the beginning of the "6 years later" time period where the world is post-apocalyptic and she's traveling through the desert.)

I love the setting and the amount of work put into making each land/tribe unique and interesting... and then it kind of collapses into what can fit into a feature-length movie with no opportunity to flesh anything out. Out of the 5 nations, only Talon and Fang really exist anymore, so there's no interesting exploration of what the other countries' surviving towns are like. After the movie ends, everything's back and better than ever since the dragons are revived and the world is united, so you can't really do a spin-off movie/comic unless you invent new villains I guess.

It felt like tasting a drop of liquid from an Avatar: The Last Airbender soda can.

I loved Raya and I'm hoping for any animated series a la Tangled on Disney Plus.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

FilthyImp posted:

Onward was a case of "poo poo this movie's been out a week and the world is closed due to pandemic!"

They put it up on D+ as a nice PR gesture to parents so the kids would have something to watch.

good news, we're still in pandemic! :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Sivart13 posted:

I just finished She-Ra, which is great, and have watched Steven Universe, which is also great. I guess I need to watch ATLA so I can have an informed position in these tedious discussions. Hopefully it is also great.

Across three seasons, I would wager there's only one skippable episode. Check it out, you won't regret it.