Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Invalid Validation posted:

That surprisingly looks like the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

I can't believe people told me to watch this movie :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BiNsFFzcs

Also I like this reviewer. I don't watch very many but she seems to understand more than any other reviewer out there that the most important thing about a film is the theme. Stories have no reason to exist without a theme. A raison d'etre.

Jenny Nicholson is one of those people who takes over an hour to recite a script instead of just publishing the same info as an article you could read in five minutes, but at the same time rarely takes advantage of working in a visual medium and just sits on her bed staring into the camera doing vlogs that awkwardly cut every three seconds. I get that there's a demographic of people for whom having someone non-threatening to waste away the hours watching talk is appealing but aside from her literal fanfiction everything I've seen her talk about like the Buzzy animatronic being stolen is something I've seen written elsewhere much more concisely.

DC Murderverse posted:

i definitely thought the idea of guerrilla filmmaking at disney world was really cool and interesting when that movie was first announced but i never got around to seeing it and now i am very glad that i didn't because it sounds awful.

The exact moment I knew the movie wasn't going to be what I wanted was when they have the main character riding on Its A Small World and they use CGI to give all the puppets ~spooky~ faces and do dramatic zooms and jump cuts just to show how creepy and twisted it is. Also completely invalidating the film's own gimmick by using green screens and sets a bunch of times.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

fauna posted:

wizards is on its way :3:

Trying to watch Wizards was the first time I tried to consume a Bakshi film in its entirety rather than seeing clips on YouTube or screenshots and I couldn't do it. I can watch clunky and uneven old adult-targeted animated movies like Heavy Metal no problem but Wizards was just too boring and too awkward in how it kept smashing together cartoony slapstick (with terrible comic timing thanks to the quality of the animation and voice acting) and serious action in between big lore dumps.

The ending is great though!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Klaus' animation was like 90% algorithms so I'm glad it lost and something with actual craft behind it won.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

DoctorWhat posted:

the rankin bass hobbit was outsourced to a studio that later became Studio Ghibli

And the rankin bass 1969 Frosty the Snowman special was outsourced to Osamu Tezuka's studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Regalingualius posted:

The final season is what the movie ended up becoming, IIRC. You can definitely tell from how tightly choreographed the first three episodes and interviews with him in the intervening years that it was what Genndy had had in mind for the opening half.

That's weirdly plausible because everything involving teen girl assassin falling in love with the middle-aged man holding her captive against her will was really bad and felt like filler. I could totally see how excising that entire character and sybplot but keeping the same opening (Jack has an existential crisis from losing the sword and killing a person for the first time) and ending (overcomes his self-doubt by reclaiming the sword and is able to return to the past and defeat Aku with the help of all the allies he made over the course of the show) would make for a nice tight little movie.