Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
WB ended up selling the rights to Thumbelina to Fox during the early '00s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

OP you should add The Mitchells vs The Machines

set to come out on September 18th

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

So apparently there's a Peter Rabbit 2 releasing this April? Unlike the first one it's not releasing under the Sony Pictures Animation label (so an inverse of what happened with the Angry Birds films)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

ThermoPhysical posted:

Welp. Added to the OP.

I guess if this is gonna keep happening lemme comb through various studios and see what they're set to release this year that isn't already in the OP:

Warner Animation Group:
Tom and Jerry (December 23, 2020): Live Action/Animation hybrid

Sony Pictures Animation:
Wish Dragon (no release date given other than "2020", originally slated for a July 26, 2019 in China but got delayed, possible that the 2020 date might be China specific): co-production with a newly minted Chinese studio Base Animation (in fact some sources indicate it's another example of "film not produced by Sony released under the label")

Disney:
The One and Only Ivan (August 12th, 2020): Live Action/CGI Hybrid

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

they're more like Let's Plays without the visuals.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I was gonna post this image in the lotr thread but it looks like it was already goldmined

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

nankeen posted:

i should have asked this at the start, but before i get any more emotionally attached to the man, can someone tell me if bakshi's a creep

obviously nobody escaped the 70s with their innocence intact, it was a horny time, but i mean like a kricfalusi creep

John K has close ties with Bakshi (worked under him on various stuff during the 80s, got Bakshi to guest star as himself in Adult Party Cartoon) but it seems like Bakshi isn't John K level

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Season 1 (which was produced by a different studio that later seasons) was halfway decent and apparently the change in production studios had to do with the CW merger so I can easily imagine an alternate reality where they went "gently caress it" and had the show be a 1 season wonder. Then someone who was fond of season 1 found the Monkey's Paw...

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm sure some CN suit looks at the cost-return ratio for Jonny Test and got dollar signs despite basically any ratings it got was because it was literally 90% of what Cartoon Network showed for years. (Similar to Teen Titans Go now)

It's basically a lovely knockoff of Dexter's Lab, yeah, and pretty much everything people hate about cheap Flash animated cartoons.

cartoon network was never involved in Johnny Test's production (it was made for Kids WB initially, then some Canadian channel after the show switched studios), they just had the rights to air it in america

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

didn't we realize those were edits (with them being more dog like in the original film)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/LaythAlnajjar/status/1228164092751269890?s=20
https://twitter.com/LaythAlnajjar/status/1228165785811484679?s=20

these replies seem relevant, though some stuff in Boxtrolls is having people not give them as much benefit of the doubt

edit: looking at the actual site, both Laika and L.A.I.G.A are separate listings, so probably not actually a mix up

edit 2: then again
https://twitter.com/nononoagh/status/1228160319039500289?s=20
https://twitter.com/nononoagh/status/1228161285289734146?s=20

edit 3: basically I'm prepared for either possibility

edit 4: yeah there's a real life group called the "Laika Publishing House" that has nothing to do with Laika (the animation studio)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 14, 2020

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

their twitter seems active enough that they might reply to this
https://twitter.com/DigammaFWau/status/1228170758632824834

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/LAIKAStudios/status/1228384100999806976

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Pick posted:

it's also really obviously a modification of a pre-existing screenplay, I literally think for an Alf reboot.

a weirdly appropriate observation considering that the original writer/artist duo on the Archie Sonic comic way back in the 90s (Mike Gallagher/Dave Manak) were previously the creative team on the Marvel Alf comic

in actuality apparently the script was being worked on while they were setting up other parts of production (rather than script first, everything else later)

"co-writer Josh Miller in response to being asked about the reception of the original design posted:

That was really weird. The whole time we were working on the script, the design had come up here and there. We weren’t getting day to day updates, we were seeing updates maybe once a month.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I haven't seen the film yet but apparently there's some stuff that was inspired by some sonic 1 deep lore that gets heavily overlooked even by hardcore fans?

https://twitter.com/GreatLange/status/1229600845345374210?s=20

(I'm not posting the tweet Tyson responded to for spoiler reasons, gotta click through to see it)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 18, 2020

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

worth noting this is what was previously being called "The Mitchells vs the Machines"

also this is being written by not just 1 but 2 Gravity Falls writers: director Mike Rianda (who wasn't just a writer on the first season, but also season 1's creative director), and the film's co-director Jeff Rowe (who was a writer on season 2 and Disenchantment)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Uncle Wemus posted:

what happened at pixar to make them lose their spark

One pretty convincing theory I saw was that it can be tied back to the disney buyout: Up was the last film pixar made that was already partially in production before the buyout happened (worth noting the person I saw come up with the theory held the unpopular opinion of "Toy Story 3 is bad")

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Pick posted:

Yikes

Anyway, I found it really crushing disappointment because I felt like it had been advertised as something that would be a spiritual successor to gravity falls.

yeah it feels like that's what disney wanted it to be too (since they outright have Alex Hirsch as a creative consultant on it)

honestly for me the 1st episode is the weakest: it feels like a cynical 4channer with a hateboner for the show watched a version of the 1st ep that was on par with the later eps and was asked to give a play by play of what happened in the ep

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Pick posted:

I watched a few, they're all pretty terrible. Like I can't really think of anything positive to say about it except for the world design. It's really really a bummer.

yeah it's been pretty weak for me overall but holy hell especially that 1st ep

probably the strongest ep that I've seen is the 4th ep I'd say? none of the other eps have been nearly as good as the 4th ep

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Honestly it feels like half of Disney TV Animation's recent output has been trying to be a successor to Gravity Falls in one way or another. the Ducktales reboot, Amphibia, The Owl House, even Billy Dilley and Big City Greens (albeit in different ways than the rest)

seriously most of the shows I listed have a character that could be considered the show's answer to "Grunkle Stan"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Pick posted:

I assumed it was cancelled! I love this style.

yeah nope, it just sitting in CN's vault for a while before they dusted it off. It was meant to come out last year (we haven't even gotten any eps copyright 2020 yet), and one of the directors on a few early episodes moved onto Mao Mao, and his first Mao Mao eps aired back in september

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I remember some people were going "Thundercats Roar sucks despite being made by professionals while Hazbin Hotel is great and was made by independent artists" and one of the boarders on Roar replied with something along the lines of "jokes on you I worked on both"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

BTW has Mao Mao been cancelled or is it still going? It's last episode was in December. It just seems to be releasing very sparsely.

nope it's just been on hiatus (the ep that came out in december was app exclusive as part of CN's recent tradition of releasing episodes of shows early on the app in early december as a preview for the following year, hasn't actually aired on TV yet). Not sure how long season 1 is yet, but given that it's been over 26 episodes already, then, by usual CN trends, it's either 40 eps or 52 (and the ep that came out in december is ep 31)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

also according to the website of one of the overseas studios (SMIP), it's already got a season 2 (with said studio, which alternates with another studio, doing 13 eps on both, so 26 eps per season)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

plus an inherent belief that anything with that artstyle is inherently woke soyboi cuck blah blah blah

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

mycot posted:

I blame John K for starting this.

Edit: It says a lot that these people are also the sort of person who considers John K someone worth listening too.

funny thing is that he technically didn't: when he was complaining about "CalArts style" he was complaining about something with the actual CalArts style: The Iron Giant

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1251224632147021828

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Pencil lines xeroxed onto cels wasn't something the old looney tunes shorts did that was more of a Disney thing in later decades, what WB did was have inkers trace over the art onto cels.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

CaptainCrunch posted:

Ah, misremembered then. I still think the razor thin lines on this new Looney Toons doesn't have the same feel as the old ones and that's what's tripping my eye up on them.
Also the voices ranging from "almost" to "not even close."

I realize I might be wrong about that... for the later 50s/60s shorts. But separate cel inkers were def the case for the 40s shorts (the era of Bob Clampett, Frank Tashlin, Dover Boys-era Chuck Jones) that these new ones are the most inspired by

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Scoob's gonna pull a Trolls: World Tour and be out on on demand May 15th

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I don't know much about TOTS but I do know it's made by Titmouse of all studios

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

From what I've heard Troll in Central Park was heavily executive meddled (which seems to apply to a lot of 90s Don Bluth films) and was meant to be darker

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/HotelT/status/1380505781129338882
So Genndy's not directing the new film (undoubtedly too busy with Primal and Unicorn), though he is writing it. Instead it's being directed by Jennifer Kluska (who's storyboarded on the 2nd and 3rd films as well as some other Sony films, and served as a producer on the Lauren Faust DC Super Hero Girls series) and Derek Drymon (the guy who was 2nd-in-command on Hillenberg-era Spongebob; most of his film credits being storyboarding on various Dreamworks films)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

FunkyAl posted:

The show is all cycles and tricks until TMS gets to it

Okay so I dropped the thread last summer (my posts in it afterwards have been just me popping in thread relevant stuff I thought was interesting with no real context of the surrounding convo) and have only just now started catching up but even though this is from a convo from a few months back and no one's gonna give a poo poo I have to speak up

TMS didn't animate the late 90s tv specials (Zombie Island, Witch's Ghost, Alien Invaders, and Cyber Chase), Mook (aka the japanese studio on Swat Kats) did

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Another response to an older post as I catch up:

Hedrigall posted:

Sony Pictures Animation has such an up and down filmography though, like compared to even the middle tier studios like Dreamworks and Blue Sky, their output is even more all over the place. From Wikipedia:

1 Open Season
2 Surf’s Up
3 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
4 The Smurfs
5 Arthur Christmas
6 The Pirates! Band of Misfits
7 Hotel Transylvania
8 The Smurfs 2
9 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
10 Hotel Transylvania 2
11 Goosebumps
12 Smurfs: The Lost Village
13 The Emoji Movie
14 The Star
15 Peter Rabbit
16 Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
17 Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween
18 Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
19 The Angry Birds Movie 2
20 Wish Dragon
21 The Mitchells vs. the Machines

Starting out with some competent kid's fare, with a definite early highlight in Cloudy.

Then a mishmash of half-live-action Smurfs movies and some Aardman stuff (Arthur Christmas is good but I haven't seen Pirates) and their big studio-tentpole franchise Hotel Transylvania (which, yecch, it's no Toy Story or How To Train Your Dragon)

Absolute nadir with Emoji Movie and The Star (why a Christian movie in there, like, imagine Pixar suddenly doing a random biblical comedy?), and more run of the mill half-live-action stuff with Goosebumps and Peter Rabbit. They seemed to have no idea what they wanted to do around this period.

Then the pinnacle comes with Spider-Verse, which we all know is an absolute genre-redefining masterpiece. It sticks out on this list - it doesn't feel like Sony deserves to have it.

I dunno why Angry Birds 2 is here but the first isn't - did Sony acquire the property to do the sequel?

What even is Wish Dragon, is that their answer to Abominable, like their one for the Chinese market? Has anyone seen it?

I hope Mitchells vs the Machines will be good.

Like what the hell is this filmography? It seems like the Netflix of animation studio output - just throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing if it sticks, with no attempt to develop a house style or (as far as I can tell) cultivate certain talents. They're just scrabbling for IP and churning out all sorts of stuff of mixed quality.

Okay so some of the films released under the Sony Pictures Animation label weren't produced by them: There's the 2 Aardman films like you mentioned (though the animation for Arthur Christmas was done by Sony Pictures Imageworks), and they also didn't produce the Goosebumps films nor Peter Rabbit (notably Peter Rabbit 2 wasn't released under the label).

The Angry Birds films were both produced by Rovio Animation, but while Sony Pictures Animation co-produced the 2nd one with no involvement in the first, the first did have other ties with Sony (Columbia Pictures helped produce it, Imageworks animated it, and Sony Pictures Releasing distributed it)

A vast majority of actually-produced-by-SPA films are animated by Imageworks (the 2 exceptions so far being The Star and Wish Dragon), but there are also a few films from other studios that Imageworks animated: Storks, Smallfoot, and Over the Moon

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 7, 2021

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I've noticed that both Spiderverse films have a similar setup with directors: One had already been a director beforehand (Peter Ramsey on the first film, Joaquim Dos Santos on the sequel; though this is JDS' film debut), one's a writer (Rodney Rothman on the first, Kemp Powers on the sequel; though while Rothman had no prior directorial credits and co-wrote the first one's script, Powers has had a co-director credit and isn't writing on the sequel), and one's a story artist making their directorial debut (Bob Persichetti on the first, Justin Thompson on the sequel)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

you can tell Kluska and Drymon aren't really trying to differentiate themselves from Genndy, at least superficially.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The head writer on Wordgirl became the head(-ish, outranked by the creator/showrunner) writer on Amphibia

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I hope the one of the directors (thankfully just a director of multiple and not the showrunner) that turned out to be a sex pest got kicked off (one of the character designers, who has an uncannily good ability to emulate the old school cartoon aesthetic, publicly threatened to quit when that news came to light if that director wasn't fired; so there's a higher chance of the guy being gone than you'd cynically assume)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Larryb posted:

Wait what show are you referring to here, the Cuphead one posted above?

yeah