Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pick posted:

CATS rocked, plebs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

The twist is that it's someone playing a futuristic version of DQV in VR and eventually the game gets all glitched with a virus and it plays out differently.

It's pretty disappointing that they finally do a DQ movie and didn't play it straight. Especially since being super traditional has been the series's strengths. But whatever, I'll watch it when available.

:smith:

Oh well, at least they didn't do it to VIII.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I'm surprised at the hate toward Big Hero 6. I really liked it, but a big part is because Honey Lemon also reminded me of one of my best friends in college (who was also a kooky chem major with me) so it might be more of a personal connection.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I guess that's pretty fair criticism. I usually think of my favorite characters in the film (Honey Lemon and Baymax) when I'm reminded of it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I'll be honest, I had no idea BH6 was based on a Marvel property. It came out when I worked in Japan and was marketed as Baymax (ベイマックス). Even without that, I assumed it was just a Disney idea because a cute inflatable robot buddy for a sad child seems like a very Disney-type story to tell. I'm pretty surprised at how different the Marvel character designs are.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Das Boo posted:

I was one of those weird little fucks that loved OG Little Rascals and Three Stooges. Takes all kinds, I guess.

Still stand by the Stooges, tho.

:hai:

Stooges rule

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Goats were one of the earliest domesticated animals. I know the horizontal slit eyes are a little off-putting, but it's different when you see them in action.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lmao, when did this come out?!?

2016, ah. Okay, I missed it because I was working abroad and checked out of movie releases.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

demon slayer is mid, make no mistake

It's no Ronin Warriors

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

If the anime doesn't bring back Thomas Jane and Brandon Routh for their roles I will be extremely disappointed.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

I absolutely saw Routh's name in the trailer, would bet even money on Jane being in as well.

hell

YES

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Macaluso posted:

Netflix released a teaser for this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQTNRFJ9R-4

I have two main thoughts.

One: I think visually it's quite nice, animation looks quite good.
Two: I am not using hyperbole when I say that Adam Sandler's voice coming out of this particular character here may be the most wrong sounding voice for an animated character I have ever heard in my entire life.

It's not the worst casting as the lizard looks like a derpy dope. I am sold on him after the little callback to a better character from a better film, though...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

One of the character traits I really liked with the DCAU Batman (which really came about with The New Batman/Superman Adventures) is that Bruce Wayne became less of a goofy playboy persona, and more of Gotham's guardian angel. He doesn't just donate to charity so that he can parade with the hottest socialites. He uses his companies and foundations to help rebuild Gotham and rehabilitate criminals. The episode where Nightwing/Dick Grayson tells Robin/Tim Drake why he quit really underscores that part. Batman realizes that he sometimes goes too far, and he uses who he is as Bruce Wayne to repent for his own sins.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Klungar posted:

Splinter learns martial arts from TV/YouTube

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

drat, I miss when Harley Quinn was just Mr. J's hype woman. Everything in that scene. :discourse:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

Same. A lot of those earlier episodes played them as...oddly, but legitimately affectionate. Hell, it did it for ALL of the villains. It created a weird, but believable feel of community amongst them kind of similar to what was done with Flash's rougues gallery.

I definitely feel the later episodes/seasons started going a little too much on the darker and grittier/edgier than was needed and tended to kind of contradict earlier characterizations. That and the whole Barbara x Bruce thing as well as rebranding Jason Todd as Tim Drake which felt unnecessary.

Yeah, I agree. They made Batman darker in The New Batman/Superman Adventures, more severe and less empathetic. I think JL/JLU tried to walk that back, especially his moments with Ace. But making him less empathetic took away some of the magic that BTAS started out with.

And agreed with the Jason Todd rebranding. When I found out Robin was Tim Drake I was stoked since Tim is my favorite of the Robins. He was nerd kid superhero, and that was who I wanted to be. I was bummed when I found out his origin. I still like DCAU Tim, though. Maybe even more than I should because his voice sounded a bit like Charlie Brown, lol.

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 2, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Another cool part about this scene is that Trickster is voiced by Mark Hamill. He played the character in the 90’s live-action Flash TV show, and has reprised the role for the recent version of the show as well.

Mark Hamill is the GOAT

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

I do like DCAU Tim, admittedly to the point of being rather upset with Return of the Joker, which I did like for how Terry basically *broke* Joker by being himself, instead of being Bruce.

:same: He was someone who was excited to put on the cape and cowl and help people, and his Clayface episode is awesome. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch Return of the Joker, and it's one of the reasons I try to memory-hole Batman Beyond. That show is a mixed bag of great and gross ideas.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:perfect:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

I think there’s some excellent storytelling that could be made from the Bat Family concept these days.

I love Tim and Steph :kimchi:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

Same. I still feel some type of way about how their relationship has been handled throughout the years.

Inkspot posted:

The word you're looking for, since about this date in 2004, is "poorly."

They got done dirty in the whole War Games comic arc. I'm just glad Steph is back.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

I am absolutely fine with Tim being bi, like hell it felt like during his YJ to Countdown that he seem to harbor a small crush on Kon - but poor Steph got so loving screwed by various writers over the years.

Yeah, to be clear I'm not talking about Tim being bi. I'm talking more about how they both got treated in the comics (Tim getting stripped of being Robin, Steph replacing him and getting summarily "fired," and then Steph getting tortured by Black Mask). Steph definitely deserved better.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Don't sleep on this

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I just fell down the wiki hole for Incredibles and found out that they had to pay Lucasfilm for the name Omnidroid in the movie. Because apparently George Lucas holds a trademark on the term droid.

This has nothing to do with this critique on the politics of a film or whatever we're on now, but isn't that loving nuts?

Once again, George Lucas proves to be the king.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

You would think that, *rad_Bird*

OH SHI-

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It's hard to claim that a film that makes $100m-$300m is a loss if you don't...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Inkspot posted:

The 1990 TMNT movie made 200 million (470 adjusted for 2023) on a 13.5 million (32 adjusted) budget. Highest grossing independent film of all time until Blair Witch made almost 250 million (585 adjusted) on a less-than-1 million (2.5 adjusted) budget.

Thank you for finding this. It makes sense. The TMNT movie is incredible, especially given the stunts the Turtles have to pull off in those outfits.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It does explain how it got away with some of the darker moments, like Raph getting jumped and Shredder getting crushed in a garbage truck.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Nikumatic posted:

And yet I also think this specific animation is why every person I know who will talk about the movie was absolutely terrified of Judge Doom as a child, even more than the eyes/voice that come immediately after or the dip sequence. It triggers the uncanny pretty hard.

Yeah. That part rules. It may not be as technically impressive as other effects, but it is absolutely terrifying. I had the same reaction as a kid.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CaptainCrunch posted:

Can't just load up a pattern in photoshop! They made the sequin glimmer in Jessica's dress by filming light shining through a black plastic bag that they'd scratched with steel wool.

This loving rules

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The lovely Xmas animated specials must flow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

Chris Pratt should've pulled off the ultimate troll and given Garfield a high-pitched stereotypical Italian voice. "Mama-mia, I love-a the lasagna!"

Lol