Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sexpig by night posted:

You gotta remember, nobody in this movie does anything. It opens by introducing LeBron having trouble connecting with his son, some unrelated things happen involving Loony Tunes, there's a basketball game, and then he connects with his son in the last ten minutes. This is not a movie where people do things, toon or not.

I feel like this is a theme with these movies that are basically the visualisation of various marketing departments' collective wank fantasies as they share lines of cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also Warner Bros. really really REALLY wants the kind of brand identification Disney has. They've been thirsty for it for a long time.

And it's going about as well as Playstation All-Stars.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

yea we also need to talk about how they gave bugs bunny a straight up Optimus Prime death

and by talk I mean laugh

Dey killed da wabbit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel like Space Jam 2 is like if the Dover Boys cameo in 1 had metastized and taken over the whole movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Everything I've seen of Cool World gives me 90s auteur adventure game vibes for some reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

People just aged like that back then. Smoking, booze, and drugs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A love letter to Cuba, not set in Cuba, and not featuring people who've actually ever seen Cuba for over half a century

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

Watched an episode of Speed Racer I'd not seen before. In addition to starting with a guy getting gunned down, the episode ends with a battle between speed and a man on horseback with a sword where right before the man plummets to his death we cut to Speed completely stone faced, watching it happen, and not even trying to stop it.

I love Speed Racer

If anything, the movie barely scratched the surface of how bonkers the show could get.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Megera posted:

We're four eps in and still dunno if we like it, but some of the songs are way better than most TV musicals

Horse has got some real pipes on her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

It's not bad despite, possibly because of, the gonzo compromises of tone and content. There's a scene in the beginning that actually works really well because the first half is a looney tune that turns seriously about of the ugliness of people. I haven't read the book and I think once I do I will like the film less. But it appears at least to be "semiotically" engaged with the religious icons and art and so forth

Some of the most fun and interesting movies are ones where the styles and tone are practically at war. Whether deliberate or not.

Also pretty lol that I'm fairly sure Gargoyles was originally pitched as a Hunchback spinoff, since making animated series spinoffs to their movies was The Style At The Time to Disney for quite a while.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

The 1994 Cartoon series with a head writer who planned for 5 seasons + spinoffs and had nothing tying it to the property was pitched as a spinoff to the 1996 Film?

In that case I'm amazed that the Disney properties both involving talking gargoyles apparently had nothing to do with each other.

For context, I grew up greatly enjoying The Mighty Ducks animated series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

You... you should look up the history of the franchise. :3:

I'm quite aware. Hence why I'm surprised that Gargoyles wasn't a spinoff concept turned bonkers somewhere down the line.

See also how 'Batman in high school' turned into Batman Beyond.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of Disney cartoon spinoff stuff in the 90s was fun like that, various takes on pulp adventure as well as clearly trying to compete with other shows. (see the above Gargoyles vs BTAS, and Mighty Ducks being a particularly ridiculous TMNT riff combined with a sports toon, As Was The Style At The Time)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

She defenitely does have big cartoon eyes, moreso than the human cast, which is accurate to the text and media.

RE his films, God only knows. Who knows if they do

And now I have to wonder if Elfquest was an inspiration there, which specifically has the elves look almost anime while humans are drawn in a more standard style, and it's brought up in-universe how they look strange to each other. (And the trolls in particular look MUCH more Bakshi, come to think of it)

Also, that Gollum looks kinda like Littlefoot with ears.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

The big unstated labor issue in games/movies are people in thankless labor and service jobs that have built a dependence on them as an emotional outlet. Like if you work a crappy job stocking shelves at 1AM, don't see anyone can't go anywhere, you might be reticent to let go of however long you spend a week as a fantasy legend mining ore. That demand needs to lessen before games will be able to.

German forklift sims though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dewey Duck as Sonic was perfect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Every time I see a screenshot of Cool World it looks like a 90s adventure game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

OG DuckTales was pretty much the prototype for what would come to be called the Disney Afternoon of the 90s cartoon renaissance when they started giving them actual budgets and effort. The results still have some ups and downs from a modern viewpoint (the racism, whew) but were a huge leap nonetheless. That said, they do get kinda samey eventually.

Not surprised that a kid might find the OG easier to get into, the reboot is definitely made with an older audience in mind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

I think that whole style peaked with Gargoyles. IIRC what followed was more comedy stuff like Bonkers, Marsupalami, and Shnookums and Meat.

There was also the Mighty Ducks series, which also tried that whole storytelling model. No one was really buying that though.

I bought right the gently caress into the Mighty Ducks cartoon, thank you very much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently the IRL team still owns the copyright to the Mighty Ducks main character as their mascot.

Hawkperson posted:

I would watch the fuuuuuuck out of a Ducktales 2017-ified Gummi Bears

Ducktales 2017 actually did have an episode that outright referenced it in all but name, complete with the Gummi Juice being a major plot point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Every single show has a massive fan somewhere. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

All the TMNT knockoffs are a real weird thing in retrospect because they all kinda have their own spin on it. And most were made to sell toys. Mighty Ducks played up the fancy tech and added sports gimmicks, Street Sharks and Extreme Dinosaurs played up the 90s attitude and grotesque 'cool' designs. (the Street Sharks toys were very chewable) I'm still not sure if Samurai Pizza Cats counts, but it probably should; TMNT was apparently popular in Japan enough to get its own season or two there, from what I've heard. (and they got sentai powerups and the ability to combine into a giant turtle, supposedly?)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a whole era of XTREME cartoons with wildly mixed results, given Extreme Ghostbusters was actually pretty good, and Batman Beyond was great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh, can never forget Toxic Crusaders!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actual gummi bears and gummi worms paint a terrifying picture of the gummi universe

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The 90s was a crazy decade for sports and pop culture.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zero One posted:

That's the bad Late Eisner Era (LEE). Early Eisner Era (EEE) and Mid Eisner Era (MEE) gave us new parks and attractions around the world, Disney Quest, the Disney Channel 90s cartoons, Disney sports teams, Disney cruise ships, and the second golden age of animation.

Sounds like there's an unfortunate turn from 'Let's actually capitalise on all this IP we have laying around that people can't get enough of' to 'I want the maximum money for minimum effort'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's kinda the point, yes.

At least The Lion King 2 followed up ripping off Hamlet (and Kimba) with ripping off Romeo and Juliet. And then the Lion King 1.5 ripped off Rozencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

paradoxGentleman posted:

Aaaah, yes, Atlantis 2: Milo's Return

Even Teenage Me, who was even more genre blind and stupid than Current Me, could tell this was Frankensteined together from an handful of scrapped made-for-TV episodes.

The Sonic the Hedgehog 'movie' (the anime one, with the catgirl) comes to mind as being pretty obviously a failed multi-part pilot.

FilthyImp posted:

Little Mermaid 2: Ariel's Daughter wants to be under the sea!

Lady and the Tramp 2: this time the Tramp is a Lady!? And the puppy wants to be a street dog?!

There's probably a 4th qualifier being "failed TV show scripts" crammed together for a movie.

At least those could be genuinely interesting flips of the original movie's formula in theory. Thesis, antithesis and synthesis and all that.

The Brave Little Toaster is also Disney owned iirc (and the original movie was made by a lot of people who'd go on to make Pixar, apparently. It really shows when you compare with Toy Story) and while the first DTV sequel I watched over and over was the weirdly omnipresent 90s 'save the beloved pets from being kidnapped and sold to evil animal research lab' plot, the third one The Brave Little Toaster Goes To Mars is the one whose premise at least is based on one of the original books. Probably not as insane as the 101 Dalmations sequel but possibly up there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boxman posted:

It was an OVA, wasn't it? Those don't really play by our rules of pilot/series/movie.

There was a lot to enjoy about that, but the fact that they gave Knuckles a hat for some reason is high up there.

Aces High posted:

was that the one that gave us the great "strange, isn't it?!" scene with Metal Sonic? Man that thing was a trip

Yes, that's the one. More that there's distinct act breaks every 22 minutes or so that tend to end with someone going SONIC?!- including the end where it smash cuts to a Sega logo.

And had the weird setting with the floating islands and the mysterious underworld with the flooding abandoned 20th century city.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

First time I've seen anyone else acknowledge the Little Mermaid cartoon. I remember it being pretty... alright. Mostly the Red Tide episode, and the song about lobster mobsters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A respectable credo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It wasn’t GOOD, but one of the villains was Tim Curry as a manta ray merperson, so it had that going for it

Tim Curry was a villain in drat near everything in the 90s and he was wonderful every time.

Also Nigel Thornberry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

all I remember about star command is xl-rx (or whatever the robot's name was) falling asleep on the job and getting woken up suddenly and confusedly saying "No, judge, I promise! I didn't know she was under warrantee!" which feels like it's up with "finger prince" for dirtiest joke ever in a cartoon.

XR was pretty much a G-rated Bender.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Star Command actually had a full on drug addiction metaphor episode that flat out handled the topic better than almost everything else of the era.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did you ever watch the "dinosaurs" weed episode?

Sadly not, I forgot about that one out and saying it.

More that there's an actual sincerity to the Buzz Lightyear one; specifically, the substance is a common and otherwise benign thing, and thus there's no 'dealer' figure to villainise, which I think is pretty rare in most anti-drug messages.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Data Graham posted:

That was the greatest phenomenon in feature animation since the 90s Golden Age.

First came Toy Story 2 with actual hilarious rendering errors, then starting with A Bug's Life they said gently caress it and made scripted "outtakes" just to play on the absurdity of the concept (remember this was when photorealistic CGI animation was still a huge novelty and it was amazing to see these "things" coming to life as though they were filmed by actual moving sentient objects in front of a camera).

It just snowballed from there but I don't think they tried going further down the self-referential hole than the Monsters Inc. "play within a play", Ember Island Players style

It's just the very old and welcome animation joke of the characters being 'actors' within the medium, which was doing pretty much the same thing at the dawn of animation.

The Monsters Inc joke was also the followup to a mid-movie gag where they'd pretended to be rehearsing a play.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, the suit was very specifically designed to have the look of a cartoonish future setting, it makes no sense to have it be exactly the same in a contemporary setting except for an obsession with ~branding~. Weirdly enough one case where an adaptation should be less aesthetically faithful to the source material.

Like, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command felt perfectly like the setting and tone where Buzz should come from. It fits him the same way Woody's Roundup fits Woody.

...actually I know what this is making me think of- Cruella. The same deal with trying to 'explain' things that never needed explaining, and completely missing the point of the character in the process and changing poo poo that didn't ever need changing.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 1, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

Let's not forget the Brave Little Toaster.

Wasn't that made by a bunch of people who'd go on to form Pixar?

Toy Story 3 in particular takes a lot of cues from it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nintendo got burned pretty bad by the Mario movie and other adaptations going weird by people who don't seem to even understand the first thing about the source material. At this point you finally have people in Hollywood who actually understand what a video game is and aren't going to just shoehorn an IP into whatever script they already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

Adapting Mario to film seems almost impossible. The most basic version of the story is "man rescues woman," and what makes it interesting is all the places he goes, which are all going to be way less interesting when you can't actually explore them. You could probably make a bunch of good shorts that would be a lot like popeye. The Mario RPGs with the stories are usually inventing whole other worlds and the stories (with the exception of bowser's inside story) have like nothing to do with the mainline mario concept. Thousand Year Door was about an ex-nazi conspiracy on the moon. What will this one be about?

Adventuring in a whimsical fantasy world with a cast of cartoon characters seems pretty easy. Like, they've had Mario manga, cartoons and more narrative-based games that worked just fine.

It's not a hard thing to do, which makes it all the more impressive that Hollywood managed to make something completely unrecognisable out of it because they don't acknowledge video games as like, existing. A common problem with boomers and older, they don't really understand interactive media; you show them a video game and I think they just see static on the screen.