Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

My kids have moved on to The Little Mermaid, and I'm happy to say that drat, those songs really hold up. It's easy to see why this was such a big deal.

The description they give it on the Disney+ page is weirdly low-key though:

It sounds like the ad copy for a coloring book or something

Maybe they just thought there was no need to really promote it - that anyone who subscribes to Disney+ already knows what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Still surprised that there are SIX other Dolittle films. I'm not sure how that happened but it did.

Yeah, first there's the 1967 version, then the 1998 Eddie Murphy version, then its 2001 sequel, then three more Eddie-Murphy-less direct-to-video sequels.

The first Eddie Murphy one was decently entertaining. The second one was a step down, but still fairly watchable. The one after that was a cavalcade of sports movie cliches and lowest-common-denominator Disney-channel-esque drivel.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think what it comes down to is that it's impossible to put up a grand umbrella over all "Children's entertainment," because children are constantly growing and learning, and what they may enjoy one year may be completely inappropriate the next (And vice versa).

And let's not forget changing standards regarding what is and isn't appropriate for children. Just look at cartoons before the 1980's - for much of that time, TV networks were under pressure from moral guardians who pretty much demanded that anything made for children be suitable for 2 year olds. Or, from then until very recently, anything vaguely LGBT-related.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/10/21216864/robin-hood-remake-disney-plus-exclusive-animation-cgi

It was bound to happen, and now it is: Disney is now doing the "CGI remake" thing with Robin Hood. Except that this one is going to be a Disney+ exclusive.

What do you suppose the odds are that this will end up not sucking?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

dirksteadfast posted:

I don’t know why it took so long for Disney to go back to that era for the remakes after The Jungle Book. I know mileage varies on whether the new Jungle Book was good, but at least it attempted to take the bones of the original and made the rest its own thing. Robin Hood, Aristocats, Sword in the Stone, and 101 Dalmatians are all movies that have bits that are well-remembered but definitely leave a lot of room to build something better with them.

(I just realized that list has both a Robin Hood movie and a King Arthur movie. Both kisses of death in Hollywood)

And how about The Black Cauldron? With modern CGI (possibly tapping the talent behind Lord of the Rings), it could look pretty good.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ungulateman posted:

IMO the weird fandom episode they did for the 100th episode basically burnt out all desire to have the show actually be like that, and after that point the show stopped pressing those buttons and went back to being a good kids show instead, which was a very good decision.

Except for the episode "Fame and Misfortune", you mean. (That one was dedicated to mocking common criticisms from adult fans, much of which would likely have gone over the heads of most anyone in their original intended demographic)

As I understand, the lead writer wanted to tweak it to make it less hostile towards critics who arguably kinda had a point, but the execs were like "No, we want it this way".

quote:

With the fandom slowly petering out after the show ended and the next version of the show being basically Teen Titans Go, for better or worse, the fandom has gotten small enough that the same weird nasty angry people are loud enough to matter again. They still aren't a majority, but boy do they love posting about nazi pony/ies on every website that will let them, and at this point those sites are running out of other people who still care enough to do anything about it

Pony Life (the Teen Titans Go thing) wasn't actually intended to be the next major series - just something thrown together to keep selling toys while G5 is in production (I think it's supposed to premiere sometime next year).

As someone who enjoyed "Friendship is Magic" but never got meaningfully involved in the fandom, I'm looking forward to observing their reaction almost as much as the new show itself.

Invalid Validation posted:

Is Hazbin Hotel any good regardless of the animation?

I personally prefer Helluva Boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlahNrlcgS4

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

A Sometimes Food posted:

gently caress off with this whataboutism.

Every criticism of China doesn't need to be paired with "yeah but the west is bad too". Unless the Chinese government is actively forcing you to post in which case continue on I guess.

Reminds me of when people do basically the same thing with Islamic theocracies. Apparently, letting women expose their bellybuttons in public is on the same moral level as executing rape victims for adultery.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Yeah, I liked Cars 3 way more than I was expecting to - it might actually be my favorite of the three. It's a much more heartfelt look at aging and mentorship than a movie starring talking cars has any right to be!

Another point in its favor is that Larry the Cable Guy is in it for probably all of three minutes.

Agreed - if Pixar ever got it in their heads to do Cars 4 (all I can see about their upcoming movies is a rumor that the next four after Soul will all be original), I'd be optimistic.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mulan will release on Disney+ on September 4th but Disney is charging a $30 fee to watch it thier new "premium access" thing.

https://comicbook.com/movies/amp/news/mulan-to-stream-on-disney-plus/

The CEO says they will still release in theaters but who knows when and if that will happen. Apparently only Japan has theaters open right now?

There's a drive-in theater near me that has Mulan on its schedule.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

you know, "serious and grounded Mega Man" is one of those ideas that should be absolutely awful and hateful to all things good...

Isn't that kinda what hosed up the Jem movie? That is, the first draft of the script was reasonably faithful to the cartoon, but some overpaid butthole in a suit was like "make it more realistic"?

BrianWilly posted:

Mega Man X absolutely deserves a gritty interpretation but like...PG-13 gritty, not David Ayer gritty.

But then again, X is a cop. :sigh:

If I remember correctly, the opening cutscenes in some of the X games mentioned things getting pretty dark and gritty for the meatbags who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

The problem with adapting serious Mega Man is that you quickly run into the fact that Mega Man is not only undisguisedly derivative of a dozen other properties, but is specifically a playful take on them. Even the "darker" series like X and Zero have all the gravity of a scary episode of the 90s X-men cartoon.

Exactly, this strongly reeks of "screw fans of the source material, lightheartedness is for babies" horseshit. Has there ever been a case of a more-or-less lighthearted work being re-imagined as dark and gritty, with the remake turning out to be the least bit respectable?

The best I can come up with is Batman (who's been made to work pretty much equally well on both sides of the spectrum, but that's been going on since before most of us were born).