Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Alhazred posted:

Tangled is a movie that never aspires to be more than "not bad".
The opening song is one of the best. I'd put it along revival era poo poo like Belle's "I hate this hick town" opener.

More to the point, it finally nailed the "like a rock/pop song, but catchy and Disney" poo poo they'd been aiming for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Had no idea that studio became Ghibli and. Yeah. I kind of see it now.

I loving LOVED Flight of Dragons. Jack Tripper as a goony scienceguy in fantasyworld and Darth Vader as the evil antagonist? Visuals weren't as good as Hobbit but it was way more enjoyable.

And that theme song!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

The Saddest Rhino posted:

that pipe has tits
Grabbing some titty when blazing my weedpipe

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

doomrider7 posted:

Didn't they age Connor to adult/young adult or something to make him part of the Legion of Superhero's or some such nonsense?
Jor El returned and was a dick and took Jon on a cosmic ride and he came back older and... ugh

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Robindaybird posted:

Pirates of Dark Water *very hastily* resolved the issue of the titular dark water (as they were alerted to being cancelled early due to how expensive the series was), though given how hasty it was, it can easily be amended.
I thought it was a half-measure? Like the hero's home was restored (or half-restored) but the rest of the treasures became harder to locate for some reason and it just halter the advance of the dark water.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Robindaybird posted:

Who the gently caress wanted a reboot of Johnny test? https://twitter.com/WildBrainHQ/status/1220438102512209922
No one, but the canadian gov basically pays for it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Robindaybird posted:

some of those spectacular set pieces actually made me nauseous it's loving weird that this is the only movie I've seen that I got motion sick from.
Williams has this weird Escher-like composition sometimes and seeing it in motion can be disorienting. It's like too precise for something not animated in 3D CGI and it fucks with my head.

Some of the Baby Herman animated start of Roger Rabbit has that and it always gets my attention.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Star Wolf looking thirsty as gently caress.

Dude is deffo lipsticking in those army issued jodhpurs

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

CrimsonAuthor posted:

You have to buy two tickets to see the whole movie
You get the post-credits scene if you bring in your Sonic 2 stub.

Sonic 2 should also be the Sonic CD poo poo, btw

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

This reminds me of what Tartakovsky was trying for with the original Hotel Transylvania (more stretch and squish and slightly off-model stuff like is found in Trad Animation). And I guess it makes sense that Sony Pictures Animated is the one going in that direction.

It kind of feels more like a Laika or Wallace and Gromit joint than a CGI film, and that's pretty neat.

The eyes are a little too distinct from everything else but very cartoony.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Uncle Wemus posted:

what happened at pixar to make them lose their spark
Part of it is stories working for an audience at the time, part of it is likely not fostering enough new talent through the years, and part of it is that the innovation is less fresh when applied over the course of 25 years.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

The Saddest Rhino posted:

that whole afterlife thing looks like Coco but less relevant to a single culture
Oh man, who wants to tell him...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

There's an insane amount of japanese animation influence in tons of cartoon openings from the 80s and 90s.

When they were told "spend $2 mil on an opening that'll really wow them" the didn't go to Don Bluth.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Pretty sure I watched it as a kid and didnt know what the gently caress was going on.

Also played the SNES game.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Blu-Ray has an alternative cut of the film where they integrate some of the various deleted scenes that were cut for time/pacing.
It's basically a bizzaro version of Spiderverse because it really is an entirely different film. Miles has Ganke with him throughout, he's not bitten while with Uncle Aaron, etc

It's really a look at what a previous draft of the film would have been like.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

It's a Pick post, dude.

Plus she hosed up by not mentioning Return to OZ

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Pick posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

It's a family entertainment film. It showed as a double feature with My Neighbor Totoro.

Wiki posted:

The initial Japanese theatrical release was accompanied by Hayao Miyazaki's lighthearted My Neighbor Totoro as a double feature. While the two films were marketed toward children and their parents, the starkly tragic nature of Grave of the Fireflies turned away many audiences. However, Totoro merchandise, particularly the stuffed animals of Totoro and Catbus, sold extremely well after the film and made overall profits for the company to the extent that it stabilized subsequent productions of Studio Ghibli.
Though Pick's right in the sense that kids get a lot of heavy stuff thrown their way. Bridge to Terabithia, Old Yeller...

Something that probably muddles things a bit is the concept of childhood as a distinct phase of life is only 300 years old, research into childhood psychology is fairly new, and we're constantly re-evaluating things... like when 'tweens' became a thing.

So Red Fern might have been something we all read in 4th grade but it might have gotten bumped up to 7th by now.

Pick's still gonna Pick, tho.

I just finished watching Onward and I really liked it. Good characters, liked what they were inspired by DnD poo poo... the moral was kinda telegraphed but it had some exciting scenes and good jokes.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 5, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Acebuckeye13 posted:

early childhood entertainment geared towards toddlers and very young children probably shouldn't have too much in the way of 'challenging' content because their brains literally have not developed to the point where they can adequately tackle said content.
Funny anecdote but my first kid used to LOVE watching me run around in FFXV, especially if I was fishing or around the beaches. I think he was 7 or 8 months at the time.

And then one day I got too close to a bunch of wild crabmonsters or something and a fight ensued. Kid let out an angry scream,because of course it was too much violence for him to process.

Hopefully he doesn't hate seafood now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

AC is basically "Cloud, get over Aeristh" with a side of "we're gonna clarify that Genova Cells Sephiroth thing a little but not really" and a sweet tech demo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Aces High posted:

it's always fun to come into this thread and learn something about what growing up was like for the various posters in here. I sometimes feel my sense of appropriateness for what to watch in my developing years was skewed because we watched movies like Total Recall and Starship Troopers as a family, I think I was 7 or 8 at the time.
Dad took me to watch Land before Time and I loving loved that movie.

But I think the first film we watched in theatres was Troll. Oop.

I have find memories of the floating braineyes and skullguy from Robocop 2 as well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Mamkute posted:

There was also the 'adopted kid has weird illness' subplot
I'll always curse the translators for going with Geostigma instead of the obviously better choice "Geostigmata"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

"jokes on you I worked on both"

ugh. Will no one rid us of this CalArts STYLe?!?!?!?!!!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

flashy_mcflash posted:

how to make/acquire a Cheetara costume that would be in any way appropriate for a seven year old to wear.
Going by the Roar designs:
Tan bodysuit without one arm, boots, orange overall-shorts?

Or you could go with the reboot young cheetara if you eant more work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckpcldJByGA

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 6, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

flashy_mcflash posted:

That's cool! I never saw the 2011 reboot. It's it worth my time?
I like it a lot. I know it blueballs a ton of poo poo and it comes off as "what if Thundercats but Animu as gently caress", but to be honest it's not like the series has had the attention that something like TMNT has had.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Pick posted:

I didn't ever see the original Thundercats
You loving monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftU5GfORvH8

Thundercats seemed like it was swinging for that Sword and Sorcery but also Technology thing that was present in MotU, but even more nonsensical.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Medenmath posted:

I think MonStar had a brief cameo in the 2011 series, too.
Yeah, he ended up being either the Big Bad or in a network of Evil Fucks that Mumm-Ra was on a videochat with.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just figured out the movie that would make Hollywood go nuts: James Cameron's . . .

FATE: Stay/Night - UNLIMITED

Rider: "I know now why... YOU DIE"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Neon Noodle posted:

SEE, DISNEY????????? It’s not so fuckin hard to NOT ruin your film restoration
It's very weird how they deal with their properties. Simpsons definitely looks like it was run through an SNES upscaler. Just tons of ruined and smeary fields of color.

Some of their other cartoons look the same, while a Donald Duck short will actually get a little love. It's so random.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Egbert Souse posted:

That was done by Fox prior to the Disney sale. I think some of the early seasons were remastered by Reliance Mediaworks, while the rest of the pre-HD seasons were not.
Of course it makes sense that the seasons anyone is interested in look like blah

I suppose a better example would be Mickey's Christmas Carol.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

flashy_mcflash posted:

My younger daughter just discovered Dora The Explorer, which I never watched when I was a kid. The format of the show is so strange - does she live in that computer? Is the animation intentionally bad to replicate a 90's educational computer game?
Dora and her friends are just NPCs in a procedurally generated SCUMM-style edutainment game for kinderkids. In addition to teaching them basic school poo poo and biliteracy, it also covers basic computer skills (clicking, dragging, mouse use).

There's different versions for various languages, as she crosses over with her Chinese-language counterpart at one point.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Thundercats is good but She-Ra just capped off an awesome reboot

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Holy poo poo the first minute of the Studio Ponoc shorts on Netflix is loving gorgeous

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Yea, popped it on because my wife was looking for Ghibli films (thanks US for not having them).

We'll probably finish later because I'm seriously about that opener.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Phylodox posted:

I feel like Disney movies started trailing off when they abandoned the traditional musical format. Maybe I’m wrong, though.
Lion King is the definite peak of the renaissance. With the following films being varying degrees of good to ok:
Pocahontas was too sanitized

Hunchback had the gargoyles and, again, sanitized. Music was good but it wasn't going to sell soundtracks to kids.

Hercules was an insult to greek myth with what they did to Hera. Again, good music but it lacked that Ashman touch.

Mulan had Eddie Murphy and an abundance of cute animal sidekicks, and a weak villain.

Tarzan ... yeah ugh. Definitely the low point before things get loving bad and the end of the renaissance.

That said, I think Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch were loving classics and I kick myself all the time for not watching them in theatres. Even though those two films veer far, far away from the Disney Musical mold, the stories and characterization are great. And the art in Lilo is inclusive and different.

They really did flounder without Ashman's ability to channel alt-musical theatre into the films, though. The late 90s era is all the Little Mermaid kids growing into teens and not finding much in the films, sadly.

It also needs to be said that Eisner was busy releasing Pinnocchio 3- Blue Fairy's Day Off direct-to-video at this time so the brand was definitely being tarnished

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 30, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think the idea is that you need an everyman to react to the weirdness going on and act as an audience surrogate.
I think that's why a lot of people have trouble with Primer. You never feel like you have an "in" to the story

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Boxman posted:

I had that movie as a kid and watched it a lot, and even then I knew it was, at minimum, extremely loving strange. Felix and the Princess is foreshadowing for Sonic 2016
I used to rent it quite often and I loved how bugfuck crazy it was, complete with the sexy princess in captivity dance and D&D Vader huffing and wheezing through it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Oh you're going to have such fun if you enjoyed that.

Totally sticks the landing at the end. Enjoy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Bobulus posted:

I haven't gone back and rewatched Clone High in a decade or more. Does it still hold up? I remember the key jokes, but that's about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cjh48H25zw
The ep that clip is from starts with Cleo building a moat around the SpEd building so....yikes.

But it's also got a great scene where Abe goes to brood at the end of a dock and knockoff Paula Cole song plays as we find Joan brooding at an identical dock 3 feet away.

JFK and Joan might need to be reworked. Like JFK can't understand why nerd poo poo is popular and Cleo is a Kardashian-edque influencer.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

IUG posted:

And that whole moat thing about the special ed section is obviously a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well, Chicken Run 2 is recasting apparently everyone, and while that's understandable in the case of Rocky
Get Chris Pratt and in 10 years we can all be "wow, what a douchebag"