Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The_Doctor posted:

I’m still waiting for his inevitable Milkshake Ducking.
You missed when Ellen Paige called out his homophobic-rear end church and he was like 'hey not all of our church ....'

Guarantee the guy has some ALL LIVES shirts in his closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Catholics aren't the hip cool church for Hollywood up-and-comers, for one.

Plus this is what one of the pastors said about the LGBTQ+ community:

"Hillsong Church welcomes ALL people but does not affirm all lifestyles. Put clearly, we do not affirm a gay lifestyle and because of this we do not knowingly have actively gay people in positions of leadership, either paid or unpaid."

And that's, you know, not addressing the allegations of pushing conversion therapy.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 11, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

Again, though...why does Pratt have to personally answer for that yet neither, say, Leonardo DiCaprio nor Stephen Colbert need to personally answer for the terrible stuff the Catholic church has done?

:colbert: posted:

"Colbert, who taught Catholic Catechism for several years, says he thinks there is a responsibility with devotion. When Rosica asked him about religious fanaticism and the Charlie Hebdo murders, Colbert said the Catholic Church was once that extreme. He also said he’s relieved he wasn’t doing a show when the Hebdo massacre took place. “There’s no sufficient response I could’ve thought of at that moment, and I felt very lucky not to be on-air at that time,“ said Colbert. “When a big story happens, I would think, ‘I wish I were on-air to talk about this,’ that one was like, ‘I’m so glad I’m not because I don’t have anything I think that approaches it.’”

But he said his second reaction to the murders was to look at his own faith. “If this were the 14th Century, Christians could have done this,” he said. “If the 15th-Century Christians might have been offended to the point of violence, at blaspheme. You know, check your history books. So, in an ultimate sense, I do not perceive that action is indicative of Islam… I’m not trying to make a moral equivalency between the Christianity of the Middle Ages and these people, who are doing this horror right now, but every religion has been so defensive of its beliefs that it has actually abandoned its beliefs at times.”

I mean, it's not him saying "we need to own up to the molestation, damage to access to birth control, antiabortion, anti-gay sentiment..." but it's a bit better than "well my church is very inclusive actually because they didn't stone me when I was going through a divorce" when someone else brought up explicitly anti-gay bias in the church and leadership.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

I don't see why Chris Pratt is particularly awful in this regard, and why everyone seems so eager to lambast him specifically.
Largely because he puts forward the nice everyday guy / loveable goof persona.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

I mean...maybe he just likes his church? Maybe he enjoys the community. Maybe what he sees on his level is genuine unconditional love and acceptance.
True, but he enjoys that because he's a cishet white male.

That level of acceptance or welcome wouldn't be possible for a black lesbian.

The fact that his church is supposedly somewhat against Divorce but overlooked his great and terrible sin is... well... :downs:

Note that I think Selena Gomez/Justin Bieber and whatever other celebs attend that church should get dragged as well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

For the record, I don't cosplay, I just respect the art of it.
Hell that Yaya Whatever chick has a whole line of moldable EVA FOAM poo poo at Joann Craft stores.

Need pre-textured dragon scales? How bout a big rear end sheet for your sexy warrior bustier? Done.

Costuming in general has hit a weird point where materials, printing and even electronics are cheap enough to make your kids' SpiderStark suit light up, have a really nice pattern to it, and come pre-filled with puffy muscles.

Meanwhile I'm here remembering how a thin plastic smock and a razor sharp uncomfortable mask held together with elastic made me He-Man...

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 20, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've watched worse, MUCH worse.
Funny how everyone memoryhole'd 12 Forever after the creator's dirty laundry was aired. Right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Isn't there a brony civil war going on due to Nazis?

Wtf do they call Nazi cloppers anyway?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Everyone forgot about Jackie Chan, eh?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Boxman posted:

TIL that all of old Looney Tunes is on HBO Max, though, so it’s been a good night. The Looney Tunes show is also good, right? The one where Bugs and Daffy are housemates?
I liked Looney Tunes Show. It was a lot more neurotic than cartoony.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aces High posted:

I was very tempted to include Flight of Dragons in my top 5. It may not have stellar animation but it is such a fun movie and one of the few times where the scientist is actually totally wowed by magic, but also breaks it down into scientific principles while not being a total :spergin: about it

:blush::respek::grin:

drat right.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FunkyAl posted:

I think pixar should make a documentary with digital cameras, or a gritty realist neonoir. Give a crew of new hires three cheap cameras and see what happens. It should be rated R. There should be no Computer Goofery.
What if Film Students employees had Feelings?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Lizzie Maguire reboot was shelved and it had LGBTQ characters.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
lovely take, bro.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I knew Lego Movie was legit when I could see little thumbprints on the character bodies.

The the dumb weak spot in the astronaut's helmet. But yeah, way to knock it out if the park with story as well as with genuine live of the subject matter.

Lego Movie 2 even has a dumb "I stepped on your loving Legos while barefoot " joke. :stonklol:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pigbuster posted:

Can't reframe it, can't retime it
I think it's workable, but you need a massive investment in cgi to make it cohere.

The moment the two near the firepit start moving there should be embers and a kind of fire pillar shooting up. When they start turns and poo poo there could be branches peeling off and joining into the projectile. Give it a loving dragon face while you're at it.

Instead of all the dust, the earth wall should char and crumble with ripples of soot cracking the ground. The Cheer Squad's footfalls should leave shock marks in the ground and create an intensifying jagged buildup of earth while larger pieces start levitating around them and mixing together forcefully.

When the foreground guy is in frame, those particles should crash into his rock to build it up in stages. The squad then shoot out a ripple of earth towards the rightmost firebender as a distraction and then the boulder knocks him down. Reacting, left guy shoots several small fireballs towards Boulder guy with some veering off in the direction of the squad.

Everything else, though? VvV

Hedrigall posted:

So that’s what a turn based battle looks like on film

You can literally see them all standing still while their attacks are picked from a menu
There should be a MASSIVE amount of chaos. People should be cowering, running for the nearest cover they can find, firenationers should be getting little flame feet and fists in case poo poo goes down. There should be smaller skirmishes breaking out everywhere, walls of fire going up, people getting encased in stone or getting their feet immobilized or falling into quicksand.

It's just dead. Even the martial arts work is plodding.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

I think it was as good as it was because it kind of slipped under the radar and so the creators were allowed to do their own thing and tell their story with relatively little executive meddling.
In part it was because the world was pretty well designed. It gets you hooked and the viewer wants to learn more about how the various elements work and the histories and whatnot. That the various benders have distinct martial arts styles also helped to convey the thoughtfulness put into the elements of the show.

But also, it was one of the first big serialized animated shows in the US. There was a clear plot to each season and character growth and poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Silver Snail posted:

No! gently caress!!!
It just becomes AstroBoy/Kikaider where the metal Pinocchio find he's a golem. Maybe some Robocop.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Darth TNT posted:

Are we getting a Megaman movie? Finally a way to fill in the time skip from classic to X. All in on the grittyness!
Megaman Delta as the in between.

In which we find out Wily was actually Megaman Sigma and rebelled

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cockmaster posted:

Isn't that kinda what hosed up the Jem movie?
I liked it for what it was, which was something only tangentially related to the series but echoing concerns of the nascent Online Artist thing with some great musical pieces and music video direction.
Reminds me to watch the final cut, since I saw a very rough workprint with missing FX.

quote:

If I remember correctly, the opening cutscenes in some of the X games mentioned things getting pretty dark and gritty for the meatbags who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Yep. By the PSx era games it's "cities decimated by rogue robots that humans keep building for some dumb reason, then a sky-city 9-11's, then a Space Colony 9-11's the earth and ruins the biosphere."

Timeless Appeal posted:

Also-- I forget his name is Jumbo, Jr. Dumbo is an insult from the bitchy elephants-- like he's dumb. And Dumbo can't speak. We've been calling a mute character Dumbo for eighty years. And made a remake of that movie last year. I just don't understand why that never hit me and it's kinda gross.
The movie ends up saying "be nice to the weird ones, they may have an exploitable skill that makes them worthwhile!" In a very cynical read.

I mean, it's not a great film but it is the film that saved Disney from financial ruin (and the cheapness of it no doubt helped).

Part of me feels like there was just the faintest glimmer of something good in its story, with parallels between the working bodies building up the tent in pouring rain, Ms. Jumbo's incarceration, the heartfelt moment when the mother gets a fleeting touch of her son's childhood, etc.

And then you have the racist crows which just backtracks all over that for some jive poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Timeless Appeal posted:

But I dunno... experiences vary I guess. I was always bored by Dumbo as a kid so I don't think I was paying attention. But like they're clearly black and while the lyrics are hard to hear, I think the sentiment comes through enough to be skeeved out. My wife's reaction was "oh no."

What's weird is that Pinocchio and Fantasia are actively pretty bawdy and sometimes scary movies. But Dumbo's the first movie we actively found offputting.*
I always enjoyed Dumbo as a kid. But that's because ALL the race-related poo poo went over my head.

Even then, I wasn't :downs: enough to think "it's dark, who knows if those are black men working hard". Like Jesus Pick what a take.

I think with Dumbo it's the supporting cast that does all the lifting while Dumbo just kind of Dopey's his way through things because he's a child. And though all the race related things are interesting, there's not much they can do with it when that's the hero.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BioEnchanted posted:

Isn't the point of happy-hearted roustabouts that it's a very sarcastic song? Kind of pointing out that they are trapped in a lovely situation but putting on a farcical brave face?
Also draws on worksong tradition, most likely.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is she particularly litigious or something? I'm not familiar with her.
Nah, people just love Dolly because she's a big personality and very genuine and caring. Like part of her philosophy behind Dollywood was giving people great-rear end food like she used to eat at home . There's like whole buffet meals that coat $20.

Add to the fact that she's always been outspoken and unapologetic about who she is, along with a very full-throated support for BLM recently, and talking poo poo about her is about a good idea as dissing the Virgin Mary in Mexico City.

She also grew up dirt poor and hustled her rear end off to build her career.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't really think of the story now without being reminded of that.
The dwarves are horny as gently caress tho.

But yeah, when does Rose Red get her due?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think part of it comes from the shorts where you get stuff like Mickey's Birthday where it has a loose premise and you just come up with stuff for the characters to do. But part of it also harkens to more leisurely paced musicals.
Reminds me of Miyazaki's like Kiki or Totoro, really.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Eh. Maybe if they didn't take 4 years between sea--oh god stop it hurts oh god

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hedrigall posted:

And all the Lord of the Rings movies you love! But they’re the animated ones
Honestly I love Fishman Gollum more than stringy gross NEET gollum.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
???

Also oh god gently caress me the series was Sealab 2021 and we're like months away from that year god gently caress poo poo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I mean Haiwaiian culture is literally American culture, even though its a sub-culture.
I think the colonized Hawaiian people have a different view, though a lot of the movie does deal with tourism

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ccs posted:

Vfx studios in London are working on previz and concept art for The Little Mermaid right now, and are in post-production on a prequel for 101 Dalmations called Cruella.
Mermaid's gonna make like 2 billion.

Reminds me that the live action trend was jumpstarted by all those "classic film but the villains story" flicks and they eventually just went "cartoon but live action why not"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

Maybe he only had a couple of good movies in the tank and overestimated himself.
Iirc Bluth studios were a boom/bust deal where every second film would bankrupt them and they'd go somewhere else for funding?

I just remember that he shied away from Spielberg after An American Tail for some reason.

Ah, here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRBRNoc_Ybw

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sing HO! for the life of a Bear
Sing HO! for the expedition

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The_Doctor posted:

You should probably scoot back a little, you’d be more comfortable.
Obviously not much of a fan if he doesn't know it's the Gnomioverse and Sherlock doesn't appear until the second film Jesus christ

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FunkyAl posted:

I'm just saying he steals the show.

:what:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't think I watched Gnomeo and Juliet, but still I remember bits and pieces of it. Maybe I watched scenes on youtube? Maybe a review?
It's kind of more clever than I assumed it would be since it relies heavily on Elton John music set to the Romeo and Juliet story.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gnome Alone

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Darth TNT posted:

I just find it flat and a little lifeless. I think I miss smudges in a lot of their movements.
That's it, that's why I feel like so much new stuff is so still. The lack of smudging and squish/squash

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ccs posted:

There's so many original Animaniacs episodes (99 of them!) that I doubt I actually saw most of them as a kid.
I never knew they did a Power Rangers send up until I found it on YouTube randomly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It comes off really weird.
The thing they got super right (and pretty much the only thing I remember from it) was the random cuts between poo poo to the Warner Rangers pumping fists and going "Right!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I put Road Rovers in the same mental slot as The Mighty Ducks cartoon.

Though RR did have that joke about Russian names and Dude Sonofobich