Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Moon Atari posted:

Both the movie and book were among my favourites as a child. Soothing-voiced spider lady sets a very high bar for friendship. Although her and Wilbur's relationship fits into the same thing as my interpretation (posted waaaaay upthread or maybe in the last one) of the Ralph/Vanellope relationship: that even though they call each other friend its thematic purpose is to replicate a parent/child dynamic.

I really hope that Charlotte's Web 1973 gets a HD remaster for the 50th anniversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Macaluso posted:

These moon cakes sound like a real hassle

No different a concept to Christmas Cake/Pudding though...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Pixeltendo posted:

The good dinosaur isn't the worst movie I've seen but it's the second worst Pixar film from them.

I don't mean to crap on anyone's opinions but there's probably more Pixar films that don't come immediately to mind so you're not really considering.

(Even if you count Cars trilogy as 1? There's still Bug's Life, MU, Finding Dory, Onward even if you like most of the films in their middling catalog.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

I was just rewatching Poor Unfortunate Souls for the nth time (It's one of my favourite Disney villain songs) and there is an aspect of it that I appreciate.

I also love how after this sequence she gets transformed to human form so immediately that she has to swim upwards an incredible height to not drown instantly.

But I've never understood why she has to get kissed before sunset or turn into the mushroom thing. That wasn't part of the contract at all!

VVV thanks, I'm not sure how I've managed to miss that cut seemingly every time I've watched it.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 5, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Boxman posted:

My favorite version of The Little Mermaid is the dark ride version at the parks. They skip on literally everything villainous Ursula does to save time. The progression goes, like, under the sea, transformation sequence, kiss the girl that actually results in true love’s kiss, celebration finale. Ursula’s basically an unsung hero.

If it wasn't for Prince Hans, Elsa never would have learned to control her powers and in fact would still be alone in her ice castle while everyone in Arendelle starved and froze to death.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

How could you, Dave?!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Oh come on Nintendo. You own so many IPs that would make great cartoons or movies (Earthbound, Zelda, Animal Crossing), stop focusing on the ones that lend themselves to adaptation the least!

F-Zero anime about the heroes and villains who compete in dangerous races in the far future.

Oh wait

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

priznat posted:

Recommend VPN'ing from Australia to watch it on the ABC website! (https://iview.abc.net.au/show/bluey)

I'm not trying to have a go, but iview is one of the worst ways to watch it since it tops out at 720p if you're lucky.
If you're going to pirate it just pirate it.

VVV true, fair enough. Although I also didn't realise that D+ was behind on eps.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 2, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Why would Andy's family have a yard sale just after having moved? It makes no sense!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

This might be old news but I was browsing D+ today and Anastasia Romanov has been upgraded to a Princess.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Lin-Manuel Miranda is like coriander; you either like him or you think he tastes like soap.

Encanto is garbage in my opinion and I liked Moana and what I've heard of Hamilton (haven't watched it yet.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Aristocats is obviously a lesser Disney but it’s weirdly the one Disney VHS my Nana had so we watched it uhhhh roughly EVERY Saturday for the first 10 or so years of my life? It’s absolutely the Disney animated feature I’ve seen the most. It’s like second hand nature to me. Baked into my brain.

I think this is another generational aspect lost to time. Disney VHS used to be expensive and I feel like most people only had one. (My sister had Beauty and the Beast, so pretty good for us.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I have no interest in the Mario movie but if they mention quad parallel universes I’m in

I was wondering why the film runtime was 1009 ½ minutes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Crazy Ferret posted:

Judy and Nick, Private Paws would be the best way going forward and give you a lot of creative space to play with the Cop themes from the first one.

They should become Freelance Police.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

no mario paint or dr mario sequence? yeah gently caress that i'm not watching this! eat poo poo illumination!

Plus the Mario Karts are the awful ones from 8.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The visuals kind of reminds me of corporate art style.

Memphis Arts.

VVV I know, it was meant to be a Cal Arts Style joke

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 20, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Here's the most damning thing against the worthless critic score

:colbert:

I can't believe that almost half of the films that have a RT "splat" are actually good!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

Watched this the other night via the Tribeca festival and the animation is truly stunning and has a real painterly quality to it. The story is a little thin but works really well.

I thought this was going to be a submarine anime based on the thumbnail and now I'm disappointed.

Back to Zipang

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

It's a really tough sell. It's probably got a lot of good movie craft going for it, but the concept just seems so insultingly stupid, and the more details I hear, the worse it sounds. There's something about a Pixar metaphor that's just extra aggravating when it doesn't land, because you know how clever they think it is.

The trailer I've seen was extremely stupid as well. An earth elemental gives the fire elemental a flower, which instantly burns to a crisp.
They're all Classic Elements who live in Element City, why wouldn't the earth know not to give the fire a plant, and the fire know what would happen if she touches it?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

Elemental's now made $423.7M worldwide, it has probably finally broken even, just in time for it to hit streaming on the 15th and rake in the actual profits.

How do they make any more money from it just because it's available on D+?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

Penguin Highway (2018, Crunchyroll) comes from director Hiroyasu Ishida, who, if this film and his second (Drifting Home) are any indication, likes to mix the surreal and mysterious with down-to-earth slice of life storytelling. I wouldn't necessarily tell Sonny Boy fans to jump headfirst into this film, because you won't get any heady philosophy from this one, but you might find the genre mix to be similarly interesting. It is based on a novel from Tomihiko Morimi, who also wrote The Tatami Galaxy, and The Eccentric Family.

Never heard of this, thanks for posting it.
Do you think this would be enjoyable for a 8yo to watch?

VVV Fair enough, thanks!

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 21, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I just fell down the wiki hole for Incredibles and found out that they had to pay Lucasfilm for the name Omnidroid in the movie. Because apparently George Lucas holds a trademark on the term droid.

This has nothing to do with this critique on the politics of a film or whatever we're on now, but isn't that loving nuts?

MikeJF posted:

Motorola had to pay Lucasfilm to name their Android phones Droid, IIRC.

I'm reasonably certain that Lucas/Lucasfilm is only charging a very nominal sum and companies just find it easier to pay them off rather than fight it in court, because it would seem to be a slam-dunk case.
(not to excuse people trying to extort rent via the busted IP law system)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'd be fine with it, if it means they have to put the work in public domain.

Heck, anything not "in print" should be in public domain (maybe after a certain amount of time), because at that point nobody is profiting from the copyright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

We watched Disney Aladdin, the cartoon movie yesterday. I haven't watched that movie in....I don't know how long. It was one of those movies I always wanted to watch with my son because he's a wimp and I remember thinking that the ending was pretty impressive to young me. Well, even now to him that ending is tense. The sheer ease with which Jafar utterly dominates the heroes all the while gloating, accompanied by the deep reds and threatening music just makes it all quite menacing. Few things come near to that in the Disney movies if you ask me. Jafar is the best Disney villain.

Hah, my kids couldn't make it past the Cave of Wonders where it turns into a scary lion and asks for the diamond in the rough.