Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

couldn't believe how good willoughbys was, for a netflix original film. did they scoop it up or did they fund it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's surprisingly solid, i wasn't sure what I was going to get (especially because the main kid is a bit of a stick in the mud) but it was delightful

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

RE: Mulan a bunch of scenes were filmed in Xinjiang and the credits explicitly thanks the staff of the Uighur concentration camps which sure is a hell of a look on top of the pro-HK police statements by Liu YiFei and Donnie Yen
:stare:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

actually Walt probably was secretly a holocaust denier given that he was an antisemite and Nazi sympathizer (e: ACCORDING TO HEARSAY of course) so I guess it's on brand with the company's legacy

loving woof

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 10, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Macaluso posted:

I remember seeing the first trailer for this movie and not being interested at all, but they just released a new trailer and I think it looks like a lot of fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_zuK_pergw

Also: Lots of bright colors and pinks, like i said about the Croods 2
i'm on board for everything but the animal/alien sidekicks. the ken jeong sidekick has some real martin short from treasure planet energy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

An animated followup/adaption to/of Blazing Saddles? hoo boy, good loving luck dudes

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 28, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ccs posted:

You have no idea. This film was being made back in 2015, and the studio making it poached most of the best animators I worked with to come to Toronto to work on it. A year later the studio was forced into receivership, locking all the employees out of the office. The entire film was then scrapped while the investors tried to get their money back or raise more to finish the film. 5 years later, they had the money and commissioned Cinesite to work on the second version.
this is still for adults though right. like i'm sure it's going to be a trainwreck but they ain't trying to adapt blazing saddles for kids are they

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNCDu4nmt8M
Well now! This doesn't look half bad.
I could do without cyclops Trump, but the rest is promising.
a foam party reference in animaniacs huh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

admittedly the art style is good and the animation is fluid but that furry movie looks, well, extremely horny
that's how I'd describe beastars too but beastars is still solid

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is really dang good 2D-looking CG being wasted on what looks like a worse version of Mouse Hunt

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

What's lovely about it
that they hosed up on making the sequel

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wonder if writers wanted to lean in on Velma being bi from Mystery Inc and higher ups said "well that means it has to be an adult cartoon because LGBT is not for kids!!!"

but then I don't know of any kids show from WBA that is straightforward with LGBT so that's why I'm making that assumption

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they're usually out of college in several shows/DTVs, like zombie island took place after they had broken up as a team

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pick posted:

The sexual orientation of the characters isn't what makes cartoons good or not good
I don't think anyone made that implication??

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

all i said was that i don't know if a WBA show has had a fully out relationship in a kid's show and it wouldn't surprise me if the higher ups there won't allow it unless it's in a cartoon for adults, because that was Disney's position for years and TV networks are behind streaming services when it comes to representation. it has nothing to do with arguments about a show's quality. i've only seen one episode of Mystery Inc and a scene from a DTV where Shaggy is hypnotized and beats everyone's rear end so I have no horse in the race

i was mostly just curious to know if WBA ever actually had real rep in a kid's show, any of their kids/all-ages shows, because i don't watch them and don't have HBO Max

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 11, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FunkyAl posted:

It is hard to hate a cheap cartoon, and very easy to dislike anything with a budget
https://twitter.com/DanManShow/status/1360263537558388736

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

infinity train was un-cancelled and there's going to be a gumball movie

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it feels also aardman inspired artistically. i do not know what people saying "it looks like everything else" want from art directors or if they even have specific examples, other than "surprise me!"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only good parts of space jam are when the non-MJ NBA players or Bill Murray are on screen

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ccs posted:

I had forgotten what she originally looked like until someone posted a comparison on twitter. Geezus, the original was basically Jessica Rabbit with a bunny face and more muscular thighs. I’m honestly not surprised it created a legion of furries.

The new design is not so jarring when compared to the rest of the cast, and it makes sense to bring her design in line with everyone else because she’s not the new character being presented as such a focus.

Oh I found the tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/drakecereal/status/1367558270961946626
the first image is actually horny fanart and not any actual image from the movie

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wittgen posted:

Exactly. It's not an apology video. It's an analysis of twitter discourse using her own personal experiences as the lens. I'm not shocked that people have dismissed the video or said it's a mark against her despite obviously not having watched it. She even addresses in the video how people in harassment mobs will claim there is a "right" way to react that would resolve the whole thing, even though that is absolutely not the case.
for what it's worth, i think most people who are tired of hearing about cancel culture are probably not going to sit through a nearly two hour video about the subject

it's only 7 minutes shorter than the runtime of raya the last dragon itself

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

watched millenium actress last night. like all of satoshi kon's work, it was amazing

i love the concept of being enthralled by a storyteller that you're taken into the world

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there is 0% chance that Bryke had any intention of having Aang kill the emperor

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm gonna try to watch more animated movies while i work, so tonight i watched abominable by dreamworks....

which, if i didn't know it was by dreamworks, i'd never have guessed, because it doesn't really feel like a dreamworks movie. it feels more like a netflix film like next gen or gnome alone-- i don't necessarily mean that to be a negative because next gen is a solid movie. but it doesn't have the feel of a big budget summer animated film half the time. maybe it's an aesthetic thing? it was probably intentional to make the opening city of the film look plastic and lifeless, but it still didn't leave a strong first impression

the film is kind of all over the place, which makes its attempts to be endearing a bit harder to do its work. its initial attempt to build a character arc for yi feels a bit odd and disconnected from the rest of the film until right before one of the large emotional set pieces that closes out the second act. i don't think it fails, i just think it could've been a larger part of the story-- we don't even see yi's family for 90% of the film... there's not even check-in scenes.

the villain of the movie (at least the initial one) is clearly meant to have a redemption arc and you can tell at the end of the first scene that features him, and yet they have him say multiple cartoonishly evil things until it's time for his character to switch over. Similarly, the other villain of the film, while an OK twist, doesn't feel like a hate-able enough villain to me. not enough was done there, I think. maybe the film needed another 10 minutes (which would have put it at a still reasonable 107 minutes) to address some of these issues?

i like to overall leave positive opinions above movies rather than being a grump, though. the film's at its best when it depicts the yeti's supernatural ability to make things grow, resulting in some very imaginative sequences, including a shot where the characters are surfing on a wave of grass and flowers. while jin starts off as seemingly a "look at these zoomers and their selfies" character who too often tells yi and peng to stop and turn around, he has the more fun character arc of the three characters (well, peng doesn't really have an arc, as he is just the comic relief character), where he tries to hijack a motorcycle and has a horrible night on his own trekking through the forest.

i don't think it's a bad movie, it's just odd. it is a jack of all trades movie, never taking the time to fully bake anything. ultimately the film is mostly going to be known for including a map with the nine dash line in it, rather than anything about the movie itself. i was disappointed that the line is still in the home release (at least on hulu), but i can't say i'm surprised either

critics pointed out that the film had no forced romantic storyline, a grounded female protagonist, and those things are true. but they don't tip the scales for me significantly either way, it's just nice that i didn't have to roll my eyes at forced tropes.

the funniest thing to me is that there is ONE thing that makes it clear it's a dreamworks movie: the emotional climax of the film (again, in act 2) is set to a Coldplay song. i don't know if imagine dragons was unavailable, but man. i'm sure the individual artists don't really get a say about that sort of thing, so it's not really something i'm going to hold against the film, but it did take me out of the film to hear such a basic pop rock band take the lead on what should be the part where the audience is meant to be snared and fully invested in the film.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fantastic movie, and lol he's not a conservative queer-hating dad and that would've been a terrible idea. he's a gen x'er, and he isn't even hateful. literally it's explained that his negativity is solely over fear of katie being hurt by failure the same way he was when he had to give up his log cabin. his way of creativity 'failed' for him, and it warped over time to him believing that a creative career path would be a dead end, and that katie would end up like him, disillusioned.

it's not like he's spending the movie complaining about wokeness and the pc agenda. he just doesn't want to see anyone get hurt. making it about sexuality would be a complete non-sequitor and divorced from the message and narrative

it would also, beyond being more "centering a plot about a queer character on their suffering", make the dad a reprehensible character that no one would want to see turn things around

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

without context for why sony sold the film to netflix in the first place, it's going to be hard for me not to come to the conclusion that sony got scared of releasing an all-ages animated film with a queer MC, while netflix doesn't give a poo poo (kipo, she-ra). who knows what previous drafts of the script were like, her relationship might have been more integrated into the plot

e: although it's already a 2 hour film so you probably don't want it to run that much longer

but seriously, everyone should know at this point how hard it is for artists to get queer characters into kids media and the fights they continue to have. this was definitely not a "let's tack this on" thing, but a "we fought hard just to get this much in" thing. mike rianda, who directed the film, was previously the art director on Gravity Falls, where they lost most of those fights with Disney

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 4, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Isn't the context of it coming out on netflix just that it had like 5 different theater release dates and they all fell through then sony said "ugg, just put it out somewhere". It doesn't seem like they pulled it from theaters for any bigger reason than any other movie not coming out in theaters right now.
yeah it's possible, as they did the same for vivo. it's just weird because they didn't do that for hotel transylvania 4 which releases in theaters just two months from now, or peter rabbit 2 which is next month

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm watching arlo the alligator boy... the villains of the movie seem like they exist just because the writers thought that you can't have a film without a villain. and they're REALLY saturday morning cartoon villains

animation wise it's cute. i think the art is its best aspect. and the friendship between arlo and bertie

e: when ansel says "you're getting in the way of our emotional development" to the villains interrupting the emotional climax, my reaction was "same but unironically!!!!!". really weird pacing in this movie

i would be interested in seeing more of a director's cut version of this, but i guess the series will flesh out the main cast more

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 5, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't really think of theaters as an experience, it's more a community thing. and it will heavily depend on your community

with animated movies the experience i often had on the east coast was multiple babies screaming at the same time, kids running up and down the aisles, and half the adults looking at their brightly-lit phones.

if you live in a city or have an alamo drafthouse or whatever, obviously it'll be different. but for me, the only thing i lost by watching a movie at home is that i can't spend $15 on a small soda and single package of twizzlers. and yeah not everyone can afford to go to the theater to watch movies. it's only after moving to a major city that i even ended up finding a second run theater. i wonder how it's doing, given how 2020 was.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

watching onward

so far it's pretty solid, and barley is a great character (jock D&D nerd is a great dynamic), and corey is good too (she's also animated really well)

also even though it's another pixar 'people go on a journey' movie, it's kept within a smaller range than the average animated film so the set pieces are more interesting because they're localized... so one set piece being an applebees, another being a gas station that leads to a motorcycle chase, gives it a different adventure feel

also all the physical comedy with the dad is great. and the mom does crimes!!

only negative was they felt like they had to have minor drama ("you think i'm a screwup?") that ends up being immediately resolved. although i think it's funny that they did soundalikes for songs like anyway you want it (when the dad dances)

e: dang that was a good movie. all the good pixar movies have a clear personal connection to the director

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 9, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

new cute superman just dropped

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Macaluso posted:

So I keep seeing ads for the Boss Baby sequel pop up on youtube. Wasn't the thing with the first movie that everything that happened was the older brother's imagination? Because the sequel seems to be completely throwing that out. Unless it's STILL in his imagination which is worse
i only know the premise of the sequel and it sounds like a plot made for SOMEONE out there but not for me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1403384232756588544

pretty high budget animation for netflix standards. they obviously couldn't recreate the animation style of the game because they'd need a larger budget, more animators, etc. but i think this is pretty good looking for what it is. they may want to bump up the film grain and cel shadow effects on the characters though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FunkyAl posted:

They do, and that is a real and powerful influence. At the same time, propaganda is self-important and fear of it, the power of its voice, so on, is what it uses as its aparatus of control. You can deflect the power of the big loud thing by ignoring it.
kids can't.

FunkyAl posted:

And I see that, but I guess I don't think that particular thing is ever gonna come out of the thing you're already aware of. It will come from nowhere. An indie studio will make a gay bear named "Foxworthy" who will make billions and have a bunch of dvd sequels. But really, ultimately, it's not important to a little kid who makes the thing they're looking at if they get something from it. I think the hypothetical kid here would get more from a book.
telling people to wait on a black swan event is beyond pointless

and independent things make billions because they become visible enough to either be acquired by a corporation or licensed out to companies. for an independent film studio to make 'billions' off of an animated movie they would need screen volume that they can't afford unless they were picked up by a much larger distributor. that's the whole reason animation studios around the world go to trade fairs like MIPCOM to try to fund their work. even the small studio success story Cartoon Saloon relied on one of the largest corporations in tech (Apple) to distribute Wolfwalkers and guarantee revenue

maybe you're thinking about it too much from a perspective outside of animation which is ridiculously expensive to make? like, minecraft, being made out of one person's house can indeed become successful, with programmer art, janky java code and word of mouth......... oh and then a team joining on.... and then it getting sold to Microsoft one of the largest corporations in tech

but maybe this is getting a bit off the topic at hand which is... "a big corporation having an influence is self-fulfilling prophecy and you can just shut it out" being a nonsense argument because even if every single person in this thread did that, you'd still have the majority of the rest of the world NOT shutting them out or ignoring them. and so, yes, big rear end companies like Disney will continue to affect culture in significant ways.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 21, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Netflix killing it with animated movies this year, this looks gooooood

https://youtu.be/BOe8L69JpVI
i feel like that trailer spoils a major thing based on one shot near the end, someone needs to strangle netflix's marketing arm

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

star wars is anime and furry now, it's official

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lle0NNmvIyU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the employees are getting paid, you have absolutely no moral obligation to support them, and saying that boycotting hurts them is the equivalent of saying poor people hurt them as well

Blizzard can get hosed

e: this poo poo also gets trotted out constantly, like with the 2022 Hogwarts game which isn't even by a studio with a positive track record!! people can choose not to buy or watch something for whatever reason they want, whether it's JK Rowling, John Lasseter, a Cosby suite, denying Hong Kong or Taiwan, or... OR.... it just not being your cup of tea! Or you not being able to afford it. Or having too much in your watchlog/backlog already.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 14, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Love the friend group dynamic, love the design variety

A decade+ ago Pixar trailers used to be pretty poorly representative of the movie but now they always get me hyped.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

He sold the rights a while ago. He sold the game and show rights to get back the rights for the comic only, so any show or game that comes out will be unconnected to him.
he's still a consultant (and signing copies) on the new EWJ game, but it's also only on the intellivision amico so no one will care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the songs in Moana are the first time I liked the songs in a Disney film since, like, hercules