Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

I've spent decades reading Covid-19 articles, far more than you have. That makes me more of an expert than you ever can dream of.

Buglord

I think he rotoscopes so every frame is drawn from the photo instead of drawn from the last frame, so every artist slightly changes what details do or do not get painted over and how so frame to frame everything sort of looks like it's constantly moving. Like every frame seems rotoscoped right from the picture, instead of remembering what details the previous frame focused on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

I've spent decades reading Covid-19 articles, far more than you have. That makes me more of an expert than you ever can dream of.

Buglord

gohmak posted:

Frozen 2 is Thor Ragnorak without recompense. What a loving disgusting Euro apologist theme.

My favorite part about it was this movie felt like it was really showcasing "no, black people live in arendel too!" and showing "arendel was bad to natives" which both independently feel like positive takes from the movie but then were combined specifically to "the black guy who lives in arendel was mean to the natives"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

The five elements: water horse, a lizard, many rock men that are unrelated to the little rock men that were central to the first movie, the actual wind and human ice. Who are all spirits that are separate entities to the chaotic spirits that were shaking up the town

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

DC Murderverse posted:

wow, Frozen 2 didn't get an Oscar nomination. I'd imagine Toy Story 4 is probably the frontrunner for this as it's almost certainly the most watched of the five that did get nominated.

man, I forgot toy story 4 even came out this year. It's so forgettable. It feels like 3 netflix specials glued together.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is I lost my body good? It's the only show I'm not familiar with

I thought it was real good. It's like two stories intecut, with one being a high concept mostly wordless adventure of a severed human hand that needs to do a bunch of adventure game style tasks to cross a city and get back to it's arm mixed with a super small story of a pizza delivery boy that falls in love with a girl and becomes a woodworking apprentice to impress her/be near her and I love that it's a movie that made me keep thinking "ugg, get me through this part about a severed hand fighting rats so I can get back to watching the good part"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Barudak posted:

Kristoff's song is also real bad.

Didn’t weezer ghost write that song? Or was that a weird dream I had?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Good dinosaur is such a weird movie because you can tell there was a white board where someone wrote the central theme of the movie is "FEAR" and it's kinda like inside out was about sadness, like teaching the kids about fear being good. But the whole movie is so weird and disjointed it's just got these weird random interludes that have this "everything in the world is loving terrifying" vibe that undercuts everything with not a ton of conclusion or payoff.

Like the first guy they meet being a total wreck because he's so afraid of everything, the antagonists seeming to be in some sort of death murder cult, talking about murdering someone by drowning them in their own blood, the extremely brutal flesh ripping on the wings.

The whole movie feels like it was plotted out like it would be like "hey kids, the world is scary sometimes, but fear is your friend and helps you" but the movie is edited too weird and that got tramped down and it's just "hey kids, the world is loving terrifying, it seems really bad but..... oops, movies over, sleep tight!" Like it's only that the movie is fairly forgettable that it won't be a generation of kids looking back traumatized remembering this weird movie about how awful and scary everything is.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Macaluso posted:

Also the marketing kept hammering "What if the Dinosaurs DIDN'T go extinct??" but that particular story bit doesn't matter at all. Most people are not going to find it odd if there's a caveman and a dinosaur existing at the same time

God, the setting is so weird. Like everyone is living in different eras of some sort of vague american frontier times. But it never really indicates that there is some dinosaur boston out there they all recently traveled from, it just feels like it's a world where everyone is living in the middle of no where totally alone and separated from everyone else continuously forever on some sort of forever frontier where everyone felt like they had just gotten wherever they were despite the indication everyone was where they had been their whole life. Like the state of the world felt like the whole planet had like 4 people on it each hundreds of miles apart and each just barely establishing themselves but with no sense that anything was changing and that if you checked back in 100 years that they wouldn't still be building their first grain silo.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

The real magic was the friends we found along the way and also this gun we found along the way

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Shadow Hog posted:

I sorta figured that out with video games a while before that

Some degree of stylization is so much more interesting

I feel like the photorealism is not at all the problem good dinosaur had. I feel like the elements in this photo that don't work are the awful stylized dinosaur and his terrible knees. The background looks great and the kid looks fine.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

remember that disney cartoon episode where one of the characters finds one of the other main character's(a cop) handgun and accidentally loving shoots her and nearly kills her because he was playing around with it like a toy

Remember the episode of tiny tunes where buster and porky drink a beer then die in a drunk driving accident?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Pick posted:

watch as it's referring to a romantic partner as a "they" in a way that is interchangeable with how people casually talk about third-party entities who arent present

her one line is “My girlfriend’s daughter got me pulling my hair out!" it's basically the star wars background kiss again. It's a 1 second background character thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Alan Smithee posted:

Is advent children something to watch? Does it answer any ff7 questions or just kinda add shot that’s unnecessary

It’s the point where the thing where everyone collectively confused cloud with a brooding antihero got cannonized. He’s a doofus goofball in the game but everyone just arbitrarily decided he was cool and dark and advent children made him that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

honestly, Nomura is a loving hack who basically been coasting the last ten+ years because he got several hits under his belt and seem to be making poo poo up as he goes along. He may have been talented once, but he's basically all ego now.

Nah, he’s great. You were just thirteen when the stuff you liked came out, he’s totally the same still

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Lego movie 2 was really good, but really good in the exact same way lego movie and lego batman was.

Like being meta is extremely funny when it's unexpected. You get a real "I'm losing my mind here" when a joke has leonardo the ninja turtle show up when you have no reason to expect that. But once you've done that a few times it's not unexpected anymore. It can still be funny and well written, but it's not the same as when that stuff is coming out of no where.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

It's way late and out of season but I watched the lego holiday special and it was really bad, which is so dumb because they had a template to make it really bad and have everyone love it then instead they just made it regular bad. The only worthwhile part was yoda in the rudolph special snowman sweater.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Pick posted:

I think it's literally just Miyazaki's nihilism. He's not happy about it but doesn't see it stopping. He's also an old man, so he's had plenty of time to see it not stop.

I think most of his movies are set at the end of one era where it's the very final days of one way of living as a new way takes over. A new generation meeting a dying way of life and ending up moving on and not reversing the decline but taking some part of it to assimilate into the modern world.

I think it makes sense, many of his movies are about childhood, and childhood ending, and that itself is a fact of life that is bittersweet. And his own childhood was during and immediately after world war II, and that is a lot more confusing narrative for a Japanese person. In the US, the story you get if you are 80 is "america was great, then we were the good guys, then america got even better!", while if you are 80 and japanese trying to talk about the world changing from your childhood it's a really mixed mess of "we were a bunch of fishing villages that turned into a military industrial superpower real quick, but it was bad, but we made cool planes, and we got utterly destroyed for it, but then we turned into a technological superpower and now everyone's life is much better than it was, but also worse, and we did it and that is good but also it happened because we did something bad, but it had to happen to get here, so I'm glad it happened but also it was bad" and I think that sort of very ambivalent, "it's good bad things are happening but now everything is better but also worse" makes a lot of sense as a theme for him.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

I think the strangest thing is how not much else does what the minions do.

Like, for 50+ years almost all animation was nonverbal slapstick physical comedy. Then for the last few decades it's fairly hard to name anything that does that. Minions actually is more or less cornering the market of the genre that was nearly synonymous with animation for most of a century.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Speaking of unique animation, I watched Yamasong last night and I just can't put my finger on why I didn't like it. Every element about it seemed great, but I feel like it's going to be a movie I forget even existed in a week.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At least it's not Kingdom Hearts.

NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139...

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

PierreTheMime posted:

I’m honestly surprised it took this long for someone to try it. Netflix has produced some pretty solid animation projects so I have hope that they’ll do the books justice.

there was a redwall show in the early 2000s, it was generally pretty good but not remarkable.

I think redwall in general has issues as a series. I loved it so much as a child but they wrote too many books and it really screwed things up.

Like specifically the species stuff is something you wouldn't even question in one or two books, but by the time they wrote like 20 books it's repeated uses made it a theme and it's the grossest imaginable theme and makes the whole series sour.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Pigbuster posted:

Every single Redwall book I went into I was craving for the one that’d finally turn the species essentialism on its head with a good vermin protagonist and a mouse that’s revealed to be evil as a twist. Even as a kid I got a sense of the unjust politics of the series and all my own imaginary stories in the setting were about triumphantly overturning prejudice and achieving equality.

Then I read Outcast of Redwall and jesus christ.

It's the sort of thing where if you read one or two books you go 'eh, I can see why someone would read it that way but it doesn't seem like that big a deal" but as you read more and more books and the same things keep happening even as a kid it comes off as so weird and gross.

Like the whole 'veil' plotline feels the like most hateful and mean spirited story imaginable, there is like ten billion ways that story could have gone that would have felt fine, but every single choice that book made was to be as just awful as possible. but it's not like they do it, then go "ah, we screwed up, that wasn't good" and backtrack in some later book, they just do similar things like 3 more times. It really sucks. It feels like there being so many books turned 'this is a thing that happened once" into repeated motifs in just unreasonably awful ways.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

JazzFlight posted:

Hmm... this makes me wonder how much leeway they'll give the new show. Who knows, maybe they'll change a few storylines to give some sympathy to the vermin?

The thing is, plenty of similar stories can do that sort of simplified "rats are in a war with mice" and not have it feel gross. It's simple shorthand and a million popular things do it just fine without feeling so vile. I can think of a million stories that use 'all the good guys are [this thing] and all the bad guys are [this other thing]" where like, you could feel someone reading way into it to find it as a racist thing, but it's just a shorthand for the two sides.

Redwall feels like they grind it in in a horrible way. A fairly early book (the 8th I think?) has the 'good guys' kill a nursing mother (nursemaid?) in a battle leaving a nursing baby ferret orphaned, they want to kill it but instead a kind couple save it and agree to raise it. they do and it grows up to betray everyone and poison all the mice. and it's played off like the couple that raised it needed to learn a lesson (by raising a child from nearly birth to adulthood then seeing it murder their friends) and everyone that who assumed it was going to grow up evil were vindicated and were the sensible ones. It's not even a story where the point is everyone had assumptions and it grew to fill them, it was just an evil baby. I feel like books before that had elements of similar stuff but were kind of "eh, it's fine, mice good, vermin bad" but almost every kid that got to that book said "what the gently caress even is this?" at that whole plotline. It's so hyperbolically needlessly hateful. It's so directly set up as a story with a lesson and the lesson is so overtly evil. It's a nursing baby! the good guys murdered the mom! then everyone learns a big lesson about showing it kindness because a ferret is a ferret is a ferret even if it's shown love by the nicest couple in town.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hopefully the people adapting it are smart enough to change things and make them feel less overtly racist, because it really is impossible to miss. I read those books when I was like 8 or 7 and back then I didn't quite have the words or the life experience to fully understand what was happening, but they still felt "wrong" in a way that made me very uncomfortable.

There's a lot of good stuff in the Redwall books, a lot of good descriptions of food, just take out the parts about how some people animals are just BORN evil and you're good. Hell, how about you change the species of some of the characters up so you have an equal mix of different forest creatures as both the good and bad guys?

It would also be fine if they just committed to “vermin are bad” and were just normal about it. Just make them a bad guy faction like a normal story and no one would care. Redwall just had to make it so weird constantly by constantly humanizing the enemy but never ever going anywhere with that except reinforcing the bad guy is inherently evil.

It’s just the ending of Alfred Hitchcock’s “lifeboat” over and over, without the excuse that standards and practices forced them into it

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Pick posted:

The biggest problem with red wall is it ultimately basically every single book is the same

Yeah, the thing about redwall is the concept of redwall and the moment to moment writing of redwall is amazing. Like it's this very low magic fantasy world that still has monsters and stuff, and just brutally kills everyone all the time in a way unlike most kid's books. It was not like anything else out there in children's literature. It's like the witcher for babies.

but like, it also kinda sucks. it's all weird and screwed up, the stories repeat and contradict each other. The storyline falls into prequels of prequels of prequels pretty quick where everyone is identical to everyone else but 100 mouse years ago from the other guys.

I hope a netflix adaption would be just the general vibe of it and drop basically all the details from what happens in the books. nobody likes the specific redwall stories, they like reading about a lizard tearing someone's spine out on a boat and then 14 pages about how good barley tastes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

14 pages about how good barley tastes.

also I would like to formally complain because this bothered my 10 year old self so much:

in early books they are mouse sized and eat mouse sized food. They will describe a recipe as like, a drop of dew and one single seed cooked up. Then in the middle books they eat fictional stuff, like hot pepper flowers and stuff with fanciful names that are clearly the mouse version of a regular human food, but then by the end of the series they just eat human food and will just be eating apples and stuff even though they are mice. It made me absolutely unreasonably angry as a kid when they ate a bowl of beans or something. how big are these beans? also they had a horse in the first book but I think the first book was just weird like that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Macaluso posted:

I don't like Scooby Doo either. It was always really ugly to me. I hate Scooby's design. I appreciate the new stuff trying to make Velma, Fred and Daphne into actual characters, but I still don't like looking at Scooby and his awful face

They designed scooby doo by looking in the dog show manual for the best Great Dane then making him the opposite in every category. That is why he has a weird hump back in early series

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also reminded of the Batman Brave and the Bold/Scooby-Doo crossover movie, where one of the best collaborations between them is Batman actually remembering Scooby is a talking dog, who has both a superior canine sense of smell and the ability to understand and communicate what he smells in mostly understandable words.

Did anyone watch mystery incorporated where the whole series ended up being a very anime backstory for why scooby can talk?

(there is interdimensional aliens that can't get to earth but during some universe conjunction thing that happens rarely can manipulate animals telepathically and mutate them, so they have been all the animalistic gods in human history, good and bad. The most evil alien made it to earth but got defeated by the other gods and put into a crystal under what became the town of crystal cove, then one of the other dog god things set up that they would watch over it forever, but since thousands of years had passed of breeding with regular dogs the descendants were just back to being mostly regular dogs again)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

BioEnchanted posted:

I sigh at all the mentions of CG anime and no one mentioning the Golden Age of 3D Anime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XskHytzMIrE

cubix was korean

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

The complaints that everyone settled on in the disenchantment thread is that everyone is just interchangeably bender. Like the obvious on paper setup is a confused young women in her early 20s torn between responsibility and freedom with a devil on one shoulder and an angel (elf) on the other, but for some reason they just decided every single character is a bitter drunk rear end in a top hat in random scenes, like no matter what personality anyone has they will just be bender sometimes and anyone could have anyone else's lines at any time.

The other big complaint is how scattered the writing is and the repeated problem of someone doing something, leaving then immediately going back to where they were. Like bean going to the freak show, rescuing all the 'freaks', leaving to fight some robots, going back to the freak show, freeing another person, then going back to the robots to fight them more, like they put the show in the wrong order somehow and half the runtime is patching them leaving places and going back. Like bean leaving steamland, then immediately going back to steamland for more scenes. Or like how there are three totally separate scenes where someone is discovered to be murdered and it's not like it's a joke, they just seem to have written it multiple times then forgot. Like each episode author had the outline of a script but isn't told what part their episode is set in so they have to redo random plotpoints then undo them so everything can happen ten times.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Pick posted:

It's extremely odd and a problem I haven't seen in any other show. I don't know how it happened.

Yeah, it's so strange. It's like every time any story thread closes they have someone that thinks of one more situation or joke they forgot to include so everyone has to run back to where they were for one beat then return again to how it was.

Like oona quits being a queen to be a pirate, then IMMEDIATELY comes back and episode later to be queen more then IMMEDIATELY leaves an episode later to be a pirate. And there is no story function like she doubted her decision and then got stronger resolve. It's just like they put the scenes in the wrong order and needed to throw something in showing her returning and leaving.

And it's not just a one time thing, it happens with nearly everything. They end the gun plot then make a new gun plot identical to it like two times in like 4 episodes. They kill percival then resolve that then have like two other scenes they discover he died (and make it a gun plot). it's like every episode is written by someone locked in a room with an outline of the season and told to write episode seven but that they can't talk to any other episode writer to know what has or hasn't happened in the plot yet.

It's such a weird problem for a show to have and the more you think about it the more you notice it happening, everything happens, is undone, then immediately happens again.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Darth TNT posted:

It doesn't help that the major part of the comedy apparently comes from drugs and booze. It's not my favorite part of the jokes. I don't mind drunk humor, but I don't need the whole cast to be bitter drunk homers.

I didn't realize we have a separate thread for this.

Is there a word for "reverse flanderization" where as a show goes on every single character displays less and less character traits?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Darth TNT posted:

I finished Disenchantment. The ending was pretty good, but it felt disconnected from everything that came before. This season felt like a waste of time.

No man, an army was approaching with a trail of smoke marking their progress, so dreamland had to raise their own army, so they had to go get support from a neighboring country. then the army disbanded because they saw an elf smacking it's butt, then the invading army was just a guy cooking green sausages who had been killed earlier in the series? But THEN a different army invaded anyway, and they fought it with an army.

It's seriously one of the worst examples of the stuff I was saying about the writing. everything happens like four times before it sticks, there is an invading army then it resolves abruptly then a different invading army comes one episode later. nothing can ever just happen, it has to happen then unhappen then happen twice more.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Data Graham posted:

Reading this stuff about Disenchantment without having seen any of it makes it sound like some kind of inscrutable artsy David Lynch sort of thing where time and causality has no meaning and you're not really supposed to "get" it.

I wish.

I feel like there is 30 separate ways that show could be made good. Like if Futurama had a thing where they were waiting for an army to come then something stupid came as a gag then right after a real army attacked independently that would seem fine. The show is funny and it's easy to separate joke events from real plot.

Disenchantment is so self serious and up it's own butt about lore. So like the stupid side army can't just be a dumb 5 second gag, it needs to be a very important character with a subplot that takes up 15 minutes ad delivers the exact same information another character already delivered then just returns the plot exactly to where it was with an advancing army about to attack.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

VinylonUnderground posted:

Who on Earth is this for? A grimdark My Little Pony doesn't make sense. Why the hell would I want my kid to watch some grimdark dystopian stuff?

I feel like lots of popular children's animation now is set in a very bad or dystopian world. I feel like the 1980s trope of a very happy character in an already very good and conflict free place has been pretty replaced with a positive and happy character in contrast to a background of actually serious issues.

adventure time, steven universe, star vs the forces of evil, gravity fall, etc.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Data Graham posted:

I would have thought that well was drained dry by this point anyway, 98% of the fanfiction is total grimdark bullshit.

"nobody goes to that club anymore, it's too popular". I feel like there isn't a risk that all the kids have read so much fanfiction they are going to care if a story is popular there. If it's popular with kids there it's probably because they like that sort of story.

Anyway, kids are living in some pretty grim dark times, It's probably not totally a random coincidence that nearly every popular cartoon is of the format of a very positive and happy child interacting with and overcoming a bunch of dark situations in a fairly awful world. Kid's media has always sort of been that anyway.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Pick posted:

I'm kind of baffled that anyone thought Disney was doing an even gay-ish movie and yeah you probably tanked it if you were saying it reminded you of a film with adult content anywhere that disneyco could hear you. Disney probably won't make a gay centric movie in your lifetime and it's unthinkable in minimally the next 10 years, after which point their main market will be china anyway.

Owl house isn't a feature film but disney makes that and has it as a major tentpole type show on their network. It's still a few steps to get from that to feature film but it seems like LGBT themes aren't any sort of super edgy thing disney wouldn't touch anymore.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Elman posted:

Don't some countries censor that stuff though? I remember they made Ruby a dude in SU, and I'm really curious to know how they handled the (unskippable, really important to the plot) wedding episode where she's wearing a dress.

They just skip the episode. The guy censoring gay weddings in Russian children’s cartoons doesn’t care about preserving the lore or plot line.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The Aladdin tv series inspired a lot of stuff for my dungeons and dragons campaign. The show was basically Al-Qadim: the Series, but better because it also had insect-themed steam robots and Vikings.

My memory of that show was the episode he became a ghost and everything was spooky and me being very upset that even though he escaped he’d just go back to spooky ghost hell later when he really died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005

Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1366553846890307584

I'm so annoyed - I actually love this ridiculous manga but this looks loving terrible, almost like trying to watch a slideshow over a lovely connection.

The way of the house husband feels like it was a really cute thing that they extended way too far. Like it feels like a premise for like 8 to 10 one page comics that they just kept making more and more of so it stopped feeling like he was a fish out of water adapting to a more normal life and started feeling like he was a gangster alien or something that didn't know what basic things are.