Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ccs posted:

A story about Joe and his band class and the struggle between teaching and stability and the life of a musician is more than enough meat for a story. As it is, his class got sidelined and we had to run around with an annoying blue thing voiced by Tina Fey for most of the runtime.

Honestly it feels like soul did an actual unique story with a nearly unheard of moral in media and right or wrong it's funny how many reviews come down to "well, I wish they had just done the normal moral I'm used to"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

NieR Occomata posted:

The final minute of Soul is sort of ruinous in how badly it bobbles the ending.

The problem boils down to the fact that the entire thematic arc of the movie boils down to Joe realizing that the thing he had built his entire life around was this hollow, self-destructive and ultimately kind of quixotic quest to validate a life that was made around a singular goal, a singular focus that once he achieves he ultimately ends up rejecting. Further, he realizes that the people and things he has sacrificed at the altar of his own personal validation has made him into kind of a lovely dude and thus the final act of the film is him realizing that he, one, has to redeem himself, which he does, and to come to the realization that what he truly enjoyed being was a teacher and to lift up and validate others.

So then we come to the final minute of the film, where Joe has completed his redemption arc and is now more or less where he started, but with the knowledge that what actually intellectually satisfies and validates him is teaching and guiding others. The obvious conclusion to this is to turn Joe into one of the pre-life teachers or at least a mentor.

The problem with having that ending is that it backhandedly argues that suicide is, in fact, the solution to your problems, so they have to give Joe his life back because otherwise it has some Bad Implications. This despite the fact that giving Joe his life back sort of invalidates his redemption arc in the first place and as a ending to the movie as written doesn’t make any sense.

That’s the fundamental issue with Soul. It is a movie with an ending that doesn’t make logical, thematic, or narrative sense as written but is quite literally the only solution they could realistically go with that doesn’t end up subtextually arguing to commit suicide.

I feel like “I found my life’s calling! It was teaching instead!” Is exactly what I mean. They actually had a new moral (your life’s purpose isn’t one singular thing like a job, it’s liking and doing things, big and small) and everyone wish they ditched that and took the same moral everything else does.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ccs posted:

Okay I can buy that. Maybe the issue is it feels too generalized, too much of "just enjoy everything!" that it doesn't feel like its specific enough to the character.

I think that is the moral though. People are told from birth that happiness comes from achieving a singular purpose. That the value of a soul is it's ability to find it's one true calling (and particularly to make money off it) and a soul is incomplete without that.

The moral of the movie is that actually that isn't anything, no one has a purpose, eating a good slice of pizza today can make you happy and you don't need to wait to be happy until you find your "spark". It even went out of it's way to show he really did have a literally transcendent ability with jazz, but it still wasn't his "purpose" and in fact showed people that chased that flow too much grew obsessed and became nonfunctional monsters, because it's just one part of a life to be good at something. Like there was the whole scene with the vet/barber. He wasn't "meant" to be a barber, he would still have rather been a vet, but it didn't happen and he made his peace and had found a new source of happiness and there was no calling about any of it, for either thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

dennyk posted:

Yeah, I liked what I think the message in Soul was supposed to be; reminded me a lot of some of the philosophy of Alan Watts. I feel like the delivery didn't really hit the mark, though. Maybe they were going for a deliberate subversion by building up the whole traditional "it turns out Joe's true purpose was teaching/mentoring all along..." angle and then yanking the rug out with a "...nope, really life has no purpose at all, just enjoy it!" twist, but I think that makes that message seem somewhat confusing and a bit out of left field. The whole idea of life being ultimately purposeless, and of that purposelessness being a positive thing and spending your whole life focusing on figuring out what your "purpose" is to the exclusion of everything else being a negative thing, is a bit of a jarring one in modern society, and I feel like it the movie might have taken a little more time to explain and explore it in greater depth than it did.

I don't think it was a nihilist movie that was saying he was purposeless. He really was good at teaching, he really was good at jazz. The barber wanted to be a vet but became a barber, he probably could have been good at either, he might have even prefered to be a vet. The hippie pirate was enriched just spinning his stupid sign.

The idea is that "a purpose" is not one singular thing you are born to do, the "spark" he assumed was finding 22 a perfect job was really the spark to be willing to start living, instead of waiting for some ambiguous future where some bolt of lighting would start your life.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Aces High posted:

Out of all the Disney sequels, which ones were actually worth making? Lion King 2 was nice, Return of Jafar was more of a backdoor pilot for the cartoon so mileage definitely varies there. I'm not including threequels in this since the average is way better for them (Cinderella 3, Aladdin 3, Lion King 1.5).

I watched Lady and the Tramp 2 many times when it was new, so I must have enjoyed it. I think that was just because it was all about dogs

fox and the hound 2 deserves to exist just to create bar bets where you say what it's about then no one believes you and has to look it up.

(just like the sequel to the 101 dalmatians book)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Cinderella iii isn’t good but it gets a little gremlins ii energy of declaring the first movie stupid and being a soft parody at times

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fan made fake thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ponyo, a movie about two five year olds, features a hetrosexual kiss. Basically every children's cartoon with child protagonists features some sort of hetrosexual romance or crush.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I am going to be honest, katie being gay in Mitchell’s vs the Machines feels extremely weird.

Like specifically because the whole plot of the movie is katie's old fashioned dad disrespects her and doesn't understand her, and they fight so much they don't even own a family photo of them not fighting and the relationship is so strained that the implication is that if she leaves for california she may not come back at all ever again.

Then 120 minutes later it's dropped that she's openly gay and has been all along, but I absolutely positively do not think you were supposed to connect that as being anything, like that line was the other shoe dropping or anything. Like it doesn't even feel like it's supposed to be a subtext. Conservative dad just hated her to the point she would leave home at 18 and never return for totally unrelated reasons and not even like a metaphor thing. And that felt sort of weird.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Timeless Appeal posted:

There's a line at the very start of the movie where Katie says something to the effect of, "I never really fit in... for reasons" or something like that. And she clearly has a crush on Jade the entire movie. She straight up tells her mom that the main reason she wants to get to orientation week is for a girl.

But like it's tough being queer even if you live with progressive people or have a progressive family. My family is all some shade of Liberal and Progressive and it can still be awkward sometimes.

I guess it just seems so weird to have "old fashioned dad who fights to their daughter to the point the family doesn't own a single photo of them happy together with the indication that if she leaves she may never return at all" and "the daughter is openly gay" then have those two things seem to not interact at all.

Like old fashioned dad only drove his daughter to hate him so much she never wants to see him again but for totally unrelated reasons. It just seems weird the way they did it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mycot posted:

Weren't you the one complaining earlier about people criticizing something when it doesn't do the plot that's "supposed" to happen?

I guess it doesn’t feel like they did something different with it, just let it hang.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, it's awesome that it's like "generational differences are hard to overcome" instead of "ew my daughter is a LESBO" like sexual orientation is just an aspect of the daughter that just *is* instead of a sticking point focus for hate and difference.

Yeah but like “Im old fashioned and hate my lesbian daughter so much we don’t have a single happy photo and she plans to leave forever and never speak to me again the second she turns 18, oh but not for the lesbian thing, I’m fine with that, I’m old fashioned about other things like hating tik tok” feels like a weird needle to thread.

Like there is apparently genuine hate and difference at the start, because he is so old fashioned, but like, not on that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Good dinosaur was so weirdly apocalyptic, like it felt like everyone was living some sort of pioneer lifestyle but with no indication anyone came from anywhere so it was just small groups alone in the wilderness all alone and terrified of each other

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The 7th Guest posted:

without context for why sony sold the film to netflix in the first place, it's going to be hard for me not to come to the conclusion that sony got scared of releasing an all-ages animated film with a queer MC, while netflix doesn't give a poo poo (kipo, she-ra). who knows what previous drafts of the script were like, her relationship might have been more integrated into the plot

Isn't the context of it coming out on netflix just that it had like 5 different theater release dates and they all fell through then sony said "ugg, just put it out somewhere". It doesn't seem like they pulled it from theaters for any bigger reason than any other movie not coming out in theaters right now.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah it's possible, as they did the same for vivo. it's just weird because they didn't do that for hotel transylvania 4 which releases in theaters just two months from now, or peter rabbit 2 which is next month

Look at any date on the calendar and that is a day hotel transylvania 4 is supposed to come out:

"Hotel Transylvania: Transformania is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on July 23, 2021, by Sony Pictures Releasing.[1] In February 2019, the film was scheduled to be released on December 22, 2021.[10] In April 2020, the film was pushed forward to August 6, 2021.[11] In April 2021, the film was pushed forward again to July 23, 2021.[1]"

and it looks like michaels actually did come to some theaters in some cities but not others.

It kinda just seems like the entire movie industry is flailing and putting everything out different random ways to see what they can do.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I watched New Gods: Nezha Reborn, it was good but felt like it was ripping off so much style from final fantasy 7 so weirdly specifically. However, it made a reasonable and thought out reason someone would wear weird metal shoulder pauldrons with giant hollow bolts on the shoulders. So I give it some good points for stealing a style then thinking it out more than the thing they stole it from.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Macaluso posted:

I also saw Shrek 2 at a drive in. I feel like a lot of people saw Shrek 2 at a drive in for some reason.

edit: It actually might have been the first Shrek I saw at a drive in. But that still begs the question, what's the deal with Shrek and drive ins??

Switch over to digital projectors leading to a glut of places getting rid of film projectors in 2004 making a brief resurgence of drive ins reopening

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

perepelki posted:

also the cosmic vagina symbolism is next level

Does anyone know where to get a copy of the flaming lips christmas movie? It seems to have entirely disappeared from the internet. (because it's all space vaginas)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is there even any posts of anyone actually freaking out about invisible man? Every tweet posted about this seems to be some second hand someone saying they saw someone else somewhere else freaking out. It's not like anyone has actually posted any actual examples of anyone seeming very upset at all. This feels like a made up issue.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

And think I outed a low-key racist in one of my discord groups by posting the Clark, Lois and Jimmy design.

"The problem is Jimmy Olsen is such a white-rear end name"

My favorite little jummy olsen fact is that he was originally a Dennis the menace style bad boy and you as a reader were supposed to understand him wearing a bowtie as some super subversive move where everyone else was wearing suits and ties.

But then like years later when a new generation of writers came they sort of did "who's this nerd with a bowtie" and reframed him as a huge nerd-linger because all the significance of his cloths had shifted from him being a cool badass to a huge dweeb.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Hulk and/or ironman 1 is the correct answer.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Just watch any relatively straight adaptation of “journey to the west” and you’ll pick up 90% of popular Chinese mythology. Like you said, characters like the monkey king just show up constantly and there is basically one piece of media that covers it all.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ccs posted:

I dunno if it’s that simple though cause NeZha is based on Investiture of the Gods while White Snake was based on a different legend. At this point through anime and these kinds of films I’ve been exposed to the monkey king story a dozen times but I still don’t have familiarity with the rest of these folks.

And there would ever be any one media to consume to learn all of chinese history and folk history, but a bunch of the repeated major players come from a fairly contained set of things, so it is worth finding a straightforward telling of some of the major folk tales.

Like you can understand shrek without knowing a single thing about fairy tales, and no one book will get you to understand every bit, but just going through a childrens collection of retellings of grims fairy tales will give you a strong grounding for a lot of it fairly quick. Journey to the west won't introduce literally every folk character, but it goes through a LOT of stuff that shows up elsewhere.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ThermoPhysical posted:

How crazy is the book's sequel?

All life on earth goes into a coma except for dogs who become immortal and invincible and can fly and teleport and speak telepathically then begin to form a telepathic hive mind so dogs can receive judgement from a literal living star who has seen the coming nuclear annihilation of earth at the hands of man.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The dogs no longer need to eat or drink and all machines do their bidding and they form a one world dog government in england so all the dogs are coming to england except rolly who got a double dose of dog magic so he would have time to go to france and gently caress some random french dogs like he apparently always wanted.

also curela's house looks like it's made of living meat and they break in to kill her in her sleep but decide that is too cruel (but also she now only wears clothes made of metal so she was sleeping in a hard aluminum dress and they may not have been able to harm her anyway)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Charlz Guybon posted:

I don't believe you.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Das Boo posted:

It was a throwaway gag that creates a potential plot hole, but there's a bit where the brother whispers that he thought babies came from sex and Boss Baby acts like he's a disgusting freak for thinking that. So his parents already had that talk with him and he shouldn't have any misconceptions about where his brother came from. Unless the implication is that he actually believes his parents are gross liars.

There's some deep dive Fight Club interpretation of Boss Baby out there that I'm too lazy to look for.

There is at least three levels of reality in boss baby.

1) the whole story is a story being told by the grown child to his own daughter at some point in the far future. The story we are seeing is the flash back of this narrative as told by him.

2) In the story we briefly see other characters point of view on the events and the gag in each is that the event IS happening, but is far toned down from the more fantastical vision of the camera.

3) but we also do get commentary on the real events really happening with jokes like yelling at the parents that it's insane they don't think it's weird the baby wears a suit.

Like, the conclusion seems like there really is a talking baby from a weird baby business world and the loose outlines of the events are real, but then like, the details are fabricated or misunderstood? Like if at the end of narnia they announced it was all just a story and the talking lion was really just a talking really big housecat or something. The fantastical elements are never ruled out, the children are not REALLY having a wild high speed chase, but in the real view of the parents showing events accurately they are really still having a chase and the baby is a weird boss baby, but it's simply much toned down. The "Real" segments still have fantastic elements.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

wdarkk posted:

This is making me want to actually watch Boss Baby.

It's fine. It's not any sort of hidden gem of animation but it's not unwatchable bad.

Oh, also I left out the other layer of reality: the scenes shot in a different animation style that are the kid's explicit imagination. Where he's imagining being a hero or something and the color is all saturated.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BonoMan posted:

Oh don't worry they don't try to worldbuild...

edit: What I really hate is how they felt the need to give the teen girls like... dumbass anachronistic language. "Dragon Nerd/Sisu Fan Necklace/On the Regular/You're nobody without your band/etc etc" It felt patronizing

.......anachronistic to...when? Dragon apocalypse times?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I feel extremely weird about him brutally murdering the indoor rooster.

(I mean, I'm sure he didn't and it'll make a noise off screen to show it's fine but what a weird thing to put in a trailer. It's not even like cartoon violence, he just killed it)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

JazzFlight posted:

He didn't kill it, he made it lay an egg and then it looked relieved.

It looks like it's neck made a horrible crack sound, it egg pooped itself then it's eyes rolled back

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sliami posted:

you guys are cartoon industry nerds. got a question: why cartoon advertising so bad these days? what's the big revenue streams getting toons shafted?

I feel like the way animation is you know if you will or won’t see a movie if you ever watch any minute of it. So commercials are more about tricking you to watch 60 seconds of the movie at all instead of directing your opinion. Like they know your snap judgement is near unchangable so their goal is to click bait as many people as possible to looking so some go “yeah, I’ll see that”

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Space Jam was straight up a bad movie.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Phylodox posted:

Dogma was similar, but felt like a step backwards into safe stoner slapstick stuff, and everything I’ve seen of his since then seems like he just retreated into comfortable, goofy mediocrity and stayed there.

Dogma feels like it's unique to this day for doing a bunch of religious jokes that were like, deep cut catholic lore stuff. Like "catholic humor" isn't a major genre of anything for how big the religion is.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Data Graham posted:

I kinda wish She-Ra could stay at the top of the franchise heap for a while longer without he-man thundering his way through again but y'know, ok

I feel like I just can not imagine he-man outshining the modern she-ra show. It's such an inherently low quality property. She-ra only worked by totally recontentulizing everything about the originals and subverting everything. it doesn't feel like he-man could do that. Like making he-man gay like she-ra was gay would just come off as mocking. But what can you do with a he-man show in 2021 that isn't just an ad for a toy line if you try to play it straight? (pun not intended)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Butt Detective posted:

I’m 11 minutes into Wish Dragon and I’ve noticed that sometimes the lip syncing doesn’t match up to what the character is saying, in a way that’s pretty noticeable? I’ve only seen it happen about 2 times so far, but it seems odd when the lip syncing is otherwise fine. Maybe it’s a UK Netflix thing, idk :shrug:

Edit: Didn’t notice any more instances in the rest of the movie. I liked it a lot! There was a lot of fun noodle limb animation like Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs. The dragon especially was very fun to watch and listen to. The plot was pretty predictable, but I enjoyed it all the same.

Expensive 3D movies reanimate lips for dubs, Cheaper ones just dub in audio.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

galenanorth posted:

The only weird part is that when Sisu gets the power to shapeshift into a human, it seems like she'd immediately shapeshift back into a dragon since they were alone. For a little bit, it seemed like they were going to do a cop-out because they didn't want to show a dragon for some reason (e.g. animation costs), but that went away quickly. Also, Noi would have to have been at least six, not an infant

The whole "each gem fragment has a dragon power" metroid plot was so strange. Like two of the powers don't matter, one is never even seen or mentioned on screen, then it's not even clear if raya's claim her power is "swimming" is even a real thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Wish Dragon is surprisingly good.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm probably going to end up liking this show, but I really do not like the designs of the titular centaur creatures.

I feel like they look bad on purpose, as a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is China even the main source of homophobia? The us seems pretty homophobic on its own. Even if China didn’t exist I think big companies like Disney would still be doing the weird dance around stuff. They already only release some movies in other regions just anyway, is this movie even getting a Chinese release?