Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

in and flash

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Departures
(1450 words approx)

Team: Voidstricken
You get a special item! New from Voidmart, it's the SpectrAway Spray! Also known as ghost spray or ghost repellant. Does what it says on the can; eliminates ghosts in a minute or less.

EDIT: https://thunderdome.cc/?story=8149&title=%3Cu%3EDepartures%3C%2Fu%3E

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 9, 2020

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

In, flash

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

in, flash me a philosophy

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I wish I could enter this round but I'm actually traveling this weekend (Malaysia has Covid-19 under control it seems, so driving interstate is fine).

Nevertheless, thank you, Thunderdome. You're the best sub-community of Something Awful I have joined. I met people here I'm glad to call comrades and hopefully lifelong friends.

Some of your good words brighten my day and I reread stories in the archive. Some of your horrible words brighten my day too, I just don't admit it. But usually they make me mad, lol. I owe a TON of crits, but work and personal life makes it very hard to commit.

Thunderdome made me remember when I was in high school writing really bad writing. I was in loving Elfwood, lol, that's a revelation to some of you who weren't on IRC in the early years of TD. I was one of the first writers in Wyvern's Library before that whole site went crashing down from the owner's ego and some really vigorous "fiction moderating" (I don't even want to go into that haha).

But sorry that's a tangent. Thunderdome made me remember when I write for fun, and part of that joy comes from the joy of improving and looking at my own bad words and thinking, "wow these words are bad but they are less bad than my previous bad words, and my current bad words can be improved by fixing the quality of bad to those words." And the joy of looking at other people improving. Love it.

Thunderdome got me published. My first published piece was something I wrote with a bunch of domers helping me with the first draft, because I was in some other online writing community (that's dead, lmao) and I HATED their bad, bad, bad words. Someone there noticed and I got in a local magazine, then I got in books, on a radio play, online, and I'm hoping to get in more as time goes by.

I've said before sometimes I feel like I'm not hardcore enough a writer, because I'm not like "I must write!" or "I must do this to eat!" or "I must do this for the art!". I just like to think of weird poo poo and write them out and see whether people like the dumb weird poo poo I come up with. I'm told this is a dumb thought to have and it's so good being in a group of writers who are like, do what you like, man.

Also, when I was told to join Thunderdome the first time, it was Stuporstar who came to me and say, yo stop writing those fiction posts in PYF because the people there don't deserve you. Thanks Stuporstar.

Thanks the main crew keeping this all together - thanks Sitting Here, thanks Kaishai, thanks Crabrock, thanks sebmojo, thanks muffin (the only goon I've ever met other than), thanks DocKloc (the only other goon I've ever met), thanks all of you, there are too many of you to name, but thanks. Thanks. Thanks.*

*That's one of my signature, the 3-time repeat stanza**

** That's my second signature, writing too much that the effect is lost. lol!

Thanks.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

sebmojo posted:

:siren:Thunderdome Week 413: Outlaws!:siren:

k in

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

EDIT: https://thunderdome.cc/?story=8304&...+Title+Very+Bad

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 9, 2020

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

K in

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

Thunderdome Week 419: The Thunder Chef!

Gimme an ingredient

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

EDIT: https://thunderdome.cc/?story=8405&title=Kimberly%E2%80%99s+End+of+Summer+Fig+and+Port+Trifle+

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 9, 2020

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

in

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

anytime until the deadline on monday

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor

flerp

Genre:

Magical realism

Protagonist attribute:

dog

Protagonist obstructor:

scared of love

What the protagonist wants:

wants to be pet

Story setting:

On Earth, but magical realism

Setting details:

now

World problem:

trees talk and gossip about everyone

Your protagonist…

Is in denial of what they want

Your protagonist's attribute…

Helps them gets what they want

Your protagonist's obstructor…

Hinders them from getting what they want

At the end of the story…

The world problem is not solved, and will get worse

Flerp Wants A Story About A Dog Being Pet So Here, I Wrote It

EDIT: https://thunderdome.cc/?story=8434&title=Flerp+Wants+A+Story+About+A+Dog+Being+Pet+So+Here%2C+I+Wrote+It

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 9, 2020

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

nut posted:

I am worried that I didn't follow my guide very well so I apologize for that, but I had fun! :sun:

NUT I WANT MY LOWTAX COIN

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Antivehicular posted:

It's a well-known and undisputed fact that the only two good webcomics are Achewood and Super Mega

in anyway

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Entenzahn posted:

Retro
Disco would never die, not today, not ever.

Hi I did a read and crit here while maybe after consuming some things, I don't know how to embed videos uploaded to google drive but here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FeyV3JOjYiKQOPs6gdTb3JhRAcTe2u9T/view?usp=sharing

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Prompt:

I N T E R N E T || D A T I N G || 2 0 0 0

EDIT: https://thunderdome.cc/?story=8471&title=I+N+T+E+R+N+E+T+%7C%7C+D+A+T+I+N+G+%7C%7C+2+0+0+0

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 9, 2020

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

THUNDERDOME 422: It's Called "Spiritually-Abled" You Ignoramus

Today is Sept 1st 2020, the middle of the Chinese Ghost Month (being July of the Lunar Calendar) and also the Hungry Ghost Festival itself!

Your task is to write any kind of story involving ghost(s) or the paranatural or stuff from the Fortean Times. Bonus points if it's an actual legendary or mythological ghost and not "oh this guy is dead and there's a ghost, k, like Pictures for Sad Children."

Genre: Whatever

Forbidden Rituals: Erotica and/or Fanfic

Word Count: 1500

Signup Deadline: 11:59 PM Pacific, Friday, Sep 4th

Submission Deadline: 11:59 PM, Sunday, Sep 6th

:siren: If you ask for a flash rule I will assign you a horrible South-East Asian ghost/hantu and you will get 500 extra words :siren:

Hell Judges:
Rhino
Weltlich
?

Lost Souls:
a friendly penguin - Penanggal
sparksbloom - Pret
GrandmaParty - Tiayanak
Thranguy - Pocong
Saucy_Rodent - Jenglot
MockingQuantum - Wewe Gombel
LiterallyATomato - Krahang
derp - Sigbin
Simply Simon - Banaspati
magic cactus - Orang Minyak
CaligulaKangaroo - Pelesit

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 4, 2020

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

a friendly penguin posted:

I am here for this.
In, ghost me.

Penanggal / Penanggalan (Malaysia)

sparksbloom posted:

In and flash

Pret (Thailand)

GrandmaParty posted:

Let's do it. In and flash.

Tiyanak (Philippines)

Thranguy posted:

In, flash

Pocong (Malaysia)

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 1, 2020

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Jenglot (Indonesia)

MockingQuantum posted:

So in, and so flash.

Wewe Gombel (Indonesia)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Krahang (Thailand)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

derp posted:

okay i'll do it, gimme a ghost

Sigbin (Philippines)

Simply Simon posted:

I too wanna be haunted

Banaspati (Indonesia)

magic cactus posted:

In and flash please

Orang Minyak (Malaysia)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I'm in!

Flash me!

Pelesit (Malaysia)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I got busy so you have one hour left whoever is a straggler

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Alright we are closed!

Interprompt is 250 words, write a piece that makes fun of terrible cultural appropriation in popular media, go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

THUNDERDOME 422: HELLGATE JUDGMENT COMMENCES

Judges had some conflicts in who should win/hm but because I'm the chief judge I decide, haha, sorry nerds.

IT IS DECREED AS SUCH:

Reincarnation (Win): a friendly penguin
, Safeguard - This story definitely read like you did your research into the cultural fear of the penanggalan, the isolation of the main character is a well-tread horror trope but done well here. Story was engrossing enough, you were just this close to me hating it because of the line "The penanggalan that Suria feared had come and it was Suria herself" because it's so unnecessary when the rest of the last couple of passages already communicated this. Also wondering if someone would hallucinate like crazy when they are giving birth surrounded by vats of vinegar, just that overpowering smell of blood and fermentation lol

Purgatory (HM): Simply Simon, derp, magic cactus - k i will do crits on these later

Limbo (DM): Thranguy, Unreleased - ok yeah this was a tough one because i genuinely enjoyed your prose, the story was competently done, but then there was that whole element of creepy old dude being horny on main for an obviously kid-sized ghost which I actually asked around, does this add anything to the story? and they didn't think so. Also the pocong does not come from a war-torn middle eastern country so this raised some eyebrows for me.

Hell (Lose): GrandmaParty, The Logistics Of It All - Both judges agree this story was a bit of a mess that reads like a first draft with typos and forgotten name changes, also the story wasn't that great and the emergence of the Tiyanak as a horrific vampire almost came out of nowhere, notwithstanding the exposition of the protagonist explaining how he found a child in a field. I did have a laugh when he came in in the first para with a new child, like he just bought a really delicious aubergine from the store, nbd.

Torture (Failure): LiterallyATomato - I gave you the crazyass ghost flying about the rice baskets tied to its arms just loving lmao how dumb is this ghost, and you failed to write something, wtf