Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
sympathy & symphony; or, the twelve days of christmas but each verse gets a little jazzier
946 words

Archived.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 8, 2021

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
In

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Equality is Here Today Tomorrow Forever Hurrah, a newly named asteroid
900 words

Archived.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 8, 2021

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
In

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
do not kill yourself for a job - you are replaceable - like a cog or a lightbulb or a pen or a small potted plant that sits on a receptionist's desk or a receptionist's desk or a receptionist
941 words

Archived.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
In

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
the priest, the priest, the miracle, the what
1694 words

Archived.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Oh my goodness you idiots have had some stupid large wordcounts recently. As a response, I’m going to set this week’s limit to a whopping 500 words -- partially because you, no doubt, need the practice in trimming things up but maybe mostly because I love myself and my time. As for the theme, I want you to write me stories that could be included in a best man or maid of honor speech. Pretty simple stuff here really. I want stories that are short and sweet and maybe a little funny. If you haven’t been to a wedding before and/or you have absolutely no loving clue as to what would be appropriate to write, either use google or don’t participate. I'm not in the mood to be bummed out by your incompetence!

Just so we are absolutely clear: I don’t need an actual speech. I want a story that is short and sweet and maybe a little funny that could be used in a speech. And for the sake of brevity, you can safely assume I am intimately familiar with your characters already so don't feel obligated to include any background information like oh this is my brother this is my best friend yadda yadda yadda it's fine.

Deadline to sign up is Friday at midnight est. Deadline to submit is Sunday at midnight est. My deadlines, as always, are hard.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
proud father of the prompt
Tyrannosaurus, with arbitraryfairy, his guest

wedding party
Sebmojo
Doctor Eckhart
Azza Bamboo
Pththya-lyi
Thranguy
Saucy_Rodent
Carl Killer Miller
Sitting Here
Aesclepia
a friendly penguin
Armack
AstronautCharlie
Entenzahn
Anomalous Amalgam
Yoruichi
Antivehicular
... you?

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 8, 2020

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Guest list is closed. See ya at the rehearsal dinner.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I’m outstanding on a small number of crits. According to the archive, that small number is 44. I’d like the record to show that 18 of those (Rosa Flores week) can be found here. The remaining 26 can be found below.

:siren: conspiracy theory week :siren:
weltlich
If you throw a bunch of esoteric mumbo jumbo in your first sentence my eyes are just gonna glaze over and that’s exactly what happened here. I’m three lines in and I don’t particularly care about finishing it. That’s bad. If it’s better to say “this young lady's guts are shredded” then maybe just do that from the get go? For such a heavy dialogue story I don’t particularly love your dialogue -- who is talking in any given moment? It takes a minute to figure that out. You also jump around a bunch in time and place. The writing isn’t awful there’s just a lot to clean up.

Yoruichi
I was surprised your spider story for fantastic mr cockroach didn’t win. That was really, really good writing. .

I’m a sucker for a nutty concept and Elvis being an alligator is loving great. This was the poo poo I wanted when I came up with the prompt. Okay, so, you have an awesome concept, yeah? Why gently caress around? Why not start with the cool scene of Elvis with his pants rolled up, feet dangling in the water, whispering to reptiles? Lead strong. Cut the the “measly payout” and we’re off! You’ve hooked me! That will help free up some words to expand on your more interesting points, as well.

Djeser
Well written but I feel like this lacks anything of real substance. Okay, we’re going to find Finland. We found Finland. It’s, unsurprisingly, a massive aquatic creature. Fin. Maybe your prompt assignment was too difficult, I don’t know.

Simply Simon
Interesting setting. Convoluted story. Very slow to get to point. That’s often the problem when you’re doing grand word-building: you run out of space to actually tell a story! Next time, try to interweave details with dialogue. You don’t need to infodump everything all at worse. Give me a slow drip of the world and use it to enhance the story you are telling rather than just throwing it all at me and then beginning with characters and plot and all that

apophenium
I’m not sure what the point of this was. Like, any of it. I don’t get the plot. I don’t get the motivations of the characters. I don’t get it. And you didn’t really follow the prompt either so… yeah.

Curlingiron
Hah. I dig it. Fun twist, great sacrifice line (blood, wine, and salt water), always enjoy a solid end of the world. It’s a little short, though. And it skews a little closer to a funny idea to type some words about than an actual story. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I do that, too. It’s just a thing to note. I liked this.

Anomalous Blowout
This is publishable. I have no notes. Strong opener. Powerful ending. Incredible voice. Just great.

Thranguy
This was silly and clever and for the exact same reason. I love that you flipped the prompt around in the way that you did. The dolphin character kind of came out of nowhere. You should consider a little more foreshadowing of his existence -- not necessarily that he’s, like, a dolphin. Just that he exists at all.

Flerp
I have a bit of an aversion to mermaid stories due to thunderdome christmas lunacy. So the fact that you overcame my natural inclination of dislike says something about your writing. This is haunting and sad and I’m strangely glad nothing is properly resolved. It makes the story sit on my tongue like a pill, bitterly dissolving, lingering lost past when it should. Good poo poo.

Nikaer Drekin
I think my cojudge disliked this a lot more than I did. My biggest issue with it is that you swung for the fences on a bold style and just didn’t land it. At all. It’s more difficult to read than it should be. Your dialogue doesn't cover enough gaps to cover the general lack of descriptions. Even the story itself doesn’t make a lot of sense. One woman with a gun can’t hold an entire facility hostage indefinitely

Fleta Mcgurn
I don’t remember why we didn’t dm this on principle. You didn’t fulfill the prompt at all. You just wrote about the queen being a cannibal. Which is fine, I guess, but it wasn’t the point of the week.

Sitting Here
Brutal title. Just brutal. Which reminds me, I think I owe someone a title from Gachadome. I need to look into that… Anyway, you had an additional (and extremely difficult) modifier to the week with your title and you managed to pull it off. That in itself is an accomplishment. I especially like the little moment of the demons going “oooooh” post gsm reveal. You do kinda end on “and then the real story begins” bit which I’m never a fan of but it’s fairly forgivable here. This reminds me of Umbrella Academy in a way (the show, strangely, is better than the original comics, at least imho -- you’d probably dig it [the show, I mean])

Antivehicular
Fascinatingly original yet familiar feeling at the same time. A well pulled off feat. Lots of little things in here that are delicious: “They mean it's choreographed. Of course it is.” or “ I know his uncle's hired him the best shamanic tutors in the business, but it takes time he hasn't had.” You use your words really well. You carry a lot of meaning in small sections. Slick. Very slick.

Genjoe
You tackled a very difficult subject and you did it with grace. Great job with the breadcrumbs and the foreshadowing. By the time you play your reveal, it leaves a pit in my stomach. Like, of course. How else could it have been? But you don’t see it coming until it’s right there. I reread this several times. Very sad. I feel it in my gut. Good work.

Sebmojo
This is hilarious. Ludicrous but hilarious. I really enjoy how you tied the two extremely different concepts together, especially at the end. Somehow, you managed to make this feel totally realistic even though it’s nuts. A fun read.

:siren: country western week :siren:

Big Fluffy Dog
You take too long to find your footing. I’d say your first 200+ words are just setting up your story -- which isn’t great because your story is 800 words. And you had 1600 to play with. Which is also not great. Blah blah blah Santa had a bad son. See what I did? Summarized everything in less than ten words. That’s all that was actually important in your opening bit. Everything else is meaningless. Pretty words? Maybe. But meaningless. Similarly, your submission isn’t really a story. It’s a summary of an interesting idea. I’d like to see what happens when you take your interesting idea and make it dance with a plot, with character development, with conflict.

Crimea
You have a good voice without putting apostrophes for an accent. Fighting side. Hollers. That sort of thing. I have no idea what’s going on here. But I like it. Whatever weird world you’ve built, whatever strange machinations are occuring, I’m into ‘em. This has a very O Brother vibe in all the best ways.

NotGordian
There are certainly better writers (and teachers) here in the dome that could help correct some of your issues here. Formatting could use some work. Your ending is abrupt and perhaps unneeded. Sections of your descriptions (especially in the beginning) drift towards being long winded. But this beautiful in a way I can’t describe. Every sentence is evocative to me. The pain of the man reaches out and takes hold of me. His letter, in particular, is striking. So often when I read stories like this there isn’t a break between the voice of the narrator and the voice of the character but you’ve done a remarkable job of creating a completely different voice. It truly sounds like a letter. A real letter. Not a narrative device used by a writer but something someone actually wrote. Even the man’s words at the end. His hopefulness and belief of his own ability to change is… He’s hopeless. And the juxtaposition there is great.

SlipUp
I had to reread your first sentence several times to figure out that it was describing a train. And this is during a week where I’m specifically looking for trains. I dig the setting. Dead and living working chain gangs is a good line. Its a little heavy on action and a little light on everything else though. Sprinkle in some more character development and we’re in business.

Haven
Tense issues in the first paragraph -- not a great start. You could use some more sentence variation, too. There is a lot of: she is this way, he is this way, she can’t do this, he wants to do that, da dum da dum da dum da dum. Break things up some more would you? You tied everything up with a bow at the end. You didn’t need to do that. Don’t tell me she’s at peace. Let her be at peace. Trust me to get it. Or figure out why I’m not and write better.

Anomalous Blowout
“Do the needful.” Soliiid voice. Good story overall. The only thing I’d like some more clarification on is why Mother Coyote is doing what she’s doing. Perhaps I’m missing some sort of cultural knowledge? I know coyotes are typically tricksters but this is a bit further along than that, yeah?

Pepe Silvia Browne
I guess that counts as using Athena but I'm not happy about it. Also, I prefer italics to all caps for emphasis -- maybe that's your style but most of the time I find it a bit amateurish. You spend a lot of time describing their situation in nice words but those take up a lot of space that could be better used moving the story along. This feels more like the start of a much longer story rather than something self contained.

Black Griffon
Ha, great opener. I'm already digging your voice and I'm itching to see what comes next. Yeah, so, this is just really well done. You sprinkle in world building and setting as you move a long the plot rather than info dumping me. And it's interesting. Interesting characters, too. Enjoyable read.

Weltlich
I don't have a lot to say. Good voice. Good characters. Funny, appropriate, ending. Complete prompt. Hits some emotions. Oh, and funny use of your assignment. Nice read. I dig it.

Thranguy
I guess maybe you just didn't want to fail? Like I said in the judgement post, I'm not sure how you managed to make an Armageddon rip-off and replace the giant meteor with a dragon and have me dislike it but you did. This should have been a hit.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Submissions officially close in a few minutes but I'm pretty sure everyone has now submitted. Arbitaryfairy, please email me at [redacted] so we can wrap up the week with a little fjgj.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 10, 2020

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I want a story that is short and sweet and maybe a little funny that could be used in a speech.

I feel like that's pretty explicit. Was this not clear? Was I overly vague in what I wanted this week? I have to assume that I did something wrong because, like, half of you managed to gently caress this up. Honestly I'm at a loss for words. I wanted the challenge to be the word count. Not the loving concept. I guess it was too much for me to expect loving goons to have ever gone to a loving wedding before. Jesus.

AstronautCharlie loses. As much as I squint at this, as much as I try to give you the benefit of the doubt of writing in good faith, I feel like your eyes just glazed over the prompt. Like, yeah, you write about love in a general sense. And your writing in of itself isn't bad! But drat if this wouldn't be horrible to listen to during a wedding speech. Just awkward and uncomfortable.

Azza Bamboo dms. This was... I don't... God. Me and my cojudge had an honest discussion as to whether or not you were trying to lose on purpose. If you were, let me know and I'll also award you the loss. We can just have two losses this week. Ultimately, we decided you were just writing a joke piece that we simply didn't find funny. Again, though, correct me if we were wrong.

Doctor Eckhart also dms. You got cute with the prompt. Sometimes that pays off. Sometimes it doesn't. This time it didn't.

Pththya-lyi hms. Arbitraryfairy really liked your story. I liked it good enough not to argue. Even if you didn't quite stick the ending.

Antivehicular also hms. This was great writing. This was what I was hoping for when I made the prompt. Everyone should read this story and then read theirs and see the difference. Thank you! This was a pleasure to read.

Anomalous Amalgam wins by hair. You wrote a little dangerously but you struck a cord with both judges. Congratulations. The blood throne is yours.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
:siren: wedding speech crits :siren:

Saucy_Rodent
Saucy you dumb poo poo. This is stupid and absurd and it made me laugh pretty much consistently the whole way through. It also, technically, falls within the prompt in the broadest interpretation of it so I can’t be outrageously irritated because you kept your writing within the confines of the it. What else, uh, the name gag is good. The shirt bit is good. The ending is almost stunning in the simultaneous stupidity and cleverness of the reveal. You’re a treat and I’m always glad to see you sign up.

Azza Bamboo
I told you you didn’t have to say anything like “What can I say about my homie, Macaroni? How about I tell you the story of how we came to be together today” and yet here we are. With that being said, I like the way homie Macaroni rolls off the tongue.

Oh this is about food

Oh

Oh no

Oh I didn’t like this

This is what I get for wanting a nice prompt I guess.

Pasta way is funny if you like puns (I don’t but how could you know that?). Al dente is solid word play post food reveal. The anus line, in the moment, struck me as almost shudderingly grotesque. I wonder if you’d used “butt” instead if that would have made a difference. I haven’t made up my mind on it, though.

Also, I know you weren’t trying to lose on purpose. That was just a little kayfabe. I actually appreciate that you took a risk and I hate that I had to dm you. Unfortunately, them’s the ropes when you write jokes in Thunderdome. If they hit, awesome. If they don’t… You know, I wonder how I would have liked this if I hadn’t immediately read Saucy_Rodent’s absurdity beforehand

Doctor Eckhart
So everyone is just going to be cute with the prompt this week huh? gently caress me. Okay, so, this technically fulfills what I asked for if I open myself up to super broad interpretations. And maybe if the previous two entries hadn’t been what they were I’d be in a better mood about this (so I guess that’s not really fair to you but what can ya do?). This is a sad little story. I appreciate that it makes me feel something so you do have that going for you. I think you could have done more with the imaginary character than just “oh i can’t ever help you.” Have the character be more emotionally supportive in lieu of their lack of physical presence and then you might actually have something for me to sink my teeth into.

Pththya-lyi
“Let me tell you a story about the kind of person Jaime is.” I was pretty open in the prompt that this wasn’t necessary. Yet I have another story that did it anyway. I should have been more explicit that I didn’t want it.

Ha, I like that she left a Piggly Wiggly. First off, it’s just a funny name. Second, I have a lot of stupid yet amusing memories involving Piggly Wigglys so you accidently slip into a bonus point. Nice mish-mash of fantasy and absurd realism. Doesn’t seem like it should work on paper, to be honest. If someone told me the summary of your story before I read it I’d be like… eh… But you mostly pull it off! I’m not sure that “doing the right thing -- eventually” is actually the moral of the story.

AstronautCharlie
Here’s my question to you: do you really think this is a story that could be told in a wedding speech? Because I don’t think it is. I don’t hate this, by the way. I mean, I don’t particularly love the gumming it part -- distracting and unnecessary. The “I could eat a whole cake” aside did a fine job on its own of getting across how high they are. Also you can use italics instead of all caps. But it is pleasant enough to read. It doesn’t really fulfill the prompt, though. Which is disappointing. There are objectively worse stories this week but this is the one that is the most egregiously out of sync with what I was asking for.

Yoruichi
Another “cute” take on the prompt. Whyyy?

Yeah this is fine I’m just disappointed. As for crits… uh… gently caress those yachts is a good line. The action is easy to follow. I like that they didn’t wait to see if the yachts learned their lesson. All in all this is fine I guess. I just don’t know why you chose to write this for this prompt. This week wasn’t a general love/wedding week. I was kind of asking for something specific. I’m not going to dock you points though because clearly I did something wrong. This many people shouldn’t all be loving up this badly.

Thranguy
“Here's what you all need to know about Liam.” Was I not clear that this was unnecessary? I feel like I’m losing my mind… I guess I should have all caps DON’T INTRODUCE UR CHARACTER-ed the prompt. Ah. Well. Whatever.

Getting jumped by Salvation Army Santas oh that’s funny. That’s just a funny concept.

So, yeah, this is pretty solid. Good use of your words. It’s a good fulfillment of the prompt in that it demonstrates a positive quality/experience in a short and sweet little bit. It’s not overly love related, not particularly romantic, but it’s easy to see how a best man could incorporate this into a speech. A sentence at the end telling the bride/groom how lucky they are to be with this guy and cheers, we’re tapping champagne glasses (I’m not saying you should have done that -- in fact, I’m glad you didn’t).

Aesclepia
One sentence in and I’m intrigued to see how those things fit together.

I was with you until the fabulous breasts bit. Not sure why you thought you needed to include that. Seems unncessarily crude. Very r/menwritingwomen which is going to be weird if you’re a woman sorrryyy.

I’m assuming you copy pasted this from a word doc or something because you have too many spaces between your lines. Always always always do a last second format check before you post.

So, yeah, your opening sentence was actually pretty perfect. It was out there enough to make me stop and think and then you tied together during the story. The in-between, though, needs some work. I need to know what makes this so special. There’s an old adage of “show, don’t tell” and that definitely applies here. You told me they fell in love and talked about a million things. And that would be fine if there was generally more to this story but them falling in love is literally the point of it.

A friendly penguin
I didn’t laugh out loud but I audibly exhaled twice so there’s that. I’m not particularly a fan of puns (I hate them) but I like the “you’re doing great” bit. Casual sexual harassment seems a bit of a weird thing to have come up in a wedding speech if I’m being honest. Since this is fiction and not real life and you can make the issue literally anything, I think you should have made it almost literally anything else. With that being said, my cojudge put this story in their top four so maybe take my crit with a grain of salt.

Anomalous Amalgam
You made that pizza sound loving delicious

Oh, nice, this made me laugh.

Okay so this is just grande. This is exactly the sort of thing a bride and groom wouldn’t want to hear but that a best man would say anyway. People would laugh. People would be disgusted. A+.

Bad title by the way. Very bad title. You could have just titled “Best Man Speech” or, like, anything else and I’d have been fine with it.

Entenzahn
My. Dude. This is an excellent story. Great economy of words. Nothing is wasted. Everything is slick. I don’t have a lot of notes. My only issues relates to how it fits the prompt. Like, how does this get brought up at the wedding? “I want to thank my wife who I supported and loved and encouraged for years to go to this audition and who didn't because I was having surgery?” Not great. Not great. Maybe tack on a “there’s always another audition” or something at the end. Other than that, I liked this.

Carl Killer Miller
Okay so this is super nitpicky and I know that and I'm tempted to just not include it in my crit but here we go: Ruffles was a bad choice for a dog name. You might as well of named it "Fido” as far as ho hum dog name dog name. Stereotypical, yeah? I mean, there's a children's book named Ruffles the dog. Also, Ruffles for a basset hound? Feels off, my guy. Maybe that’s just me and it’s kind of a bullshit crit anyway but I was very distracted by it. Moving on -- I think it would have been better if the dog didn’t throw the rings up. Up to that point I was thinking this works, okay, this works. And now it’s more of a story that maybe wouldn’t get told at a wedding? Especially given that Aisha wants to give the dog away? You went from a story that is going to be a little upsetting but will get funnier over time to just a kinda gross. You know, actually, this might have to be a medical procedure with a vet. I feel like diamonds are not good for doggy intestinal tracts. Now it's not funny again. I'm all over the place here.

Sebmojo
Nice little slice of life piece between two brothers. I always dig a good story of two brothers that love each other. And I could see how this could be used in a speech -- detailing how one is always there for the other. Even in the roughest of times. This is sweet and sad and good.

Armack
Having been a teacher, you wouldn’t leave the classroom to zip up your fly. Especially during an exam. So, like, plot-wise there is a lot of stuff you might need to rework. Maybe toss out a line of “well, I don’t think you’re certified to dispose of food, are you?” That might could work, especially if the teacher is established as a droll, blind rule follower. I guess? Then he would leave to get the principal and possibly a cafeteria worker which has potential for humor. Don’t have the principal praise his loyalty under his breath. Either make it overt or say that you could see in the principal’s eyes or in his handshake or something. We both liked this story but we both agreed that it was a little far-fetched.

Antivehicular
Aw this is sweet. And it feels so real. So very believable. This was the kind of thing I was hoping to get this week. Sweet story. Well written, too. Which is probably more important as far as thunderdome is concerned. And great economy of words. Everything is slick. No wasted space -- which is great seeing as how you’re right along the word limit. I don’t really get the albatross line. This is a contender for the win.

Sitting Here
Assuming that you wrote this is in good faith and with intentionality towards the prompt, it's actually quite interesting. It's a story of heroism. Of "good" triumphing valiantly over "evil." And it's one that would surely be spoken of in great detail during the lavish, spectacular wedding to the god-empress. Yet the story told would be incomplete. Vital details of the love between Thaeo and Mateus would be left out (and for good reason since, you know, it's a wedding to someone else). Instead they would simply be friends, comrades, brothers-in-arms. So, yeah, I love the layers to that. Again, though, this is assuming that it's all intentional and that you didn't glance at the prompt and "lol weddings got it" and dashed off with no further thought. Also, I love that the horn is the horn of Masculus. Very nice.

Speaking of taking things too far, I like to think this is basically just a self-insert thunderdome metaphor piece. You're the god-empress (which, truly, you are, o blood queen, o wicked pen liege, o sharp-tongued word master) and I'm the serpent. Which would make Mateus maybe... Thranguy? He's coming up quick in third right now. Mojo? Possibly anti? I'm not up to date on my 'dome meta since I'm not in discord anymore. But I love the thought of you calling foe someone to take my head before I take yours. Which I know I'm totally 100% fabricating on my own but it's fun all the same. Also, I should come back to the discord. I've missed chatting with everyone I've just had a lot come up in my personal life all at once and I’ve needed to take a break from discord, td, and the internet in general for the last couple of months.

Anyway, race you to 27, yeah?

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Dope. Extra crits are always welcome.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Do we have any unscrolled winners still?

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Let's go. I'm in with a flash.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
carrot cake
1953 words

Archived.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
In, flash.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
(this is a story by me and afriendlypenguin)

every man would pray in the belly of a whale
1500 words

Archived.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 8, 2021

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
In

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
In.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
i'm halfway through my story and i feel like quitting so here's a late :toxx:

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
the end of days
1233 words

Archived.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 8, 2021

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

The animals are scattered in the wake of the Circus Train’s crash... Mother Elephant has been hung in a mock trial. Rabbit is nursing his broken heart on the road back home. Tiger and Peacock have accepted their fate… But Fox seems to be preoccupied by late 18th century French post-structuralist philosophy, despite her dire situation...

This week, you’ll be writing about an animal (possibly more than one) fleeing from the wreckage of a crashed circus train. It is on the run from capture and is in pursuit of ultimate Truth (in any number of its varied shapes and meanings). Can it dodge both hunters' traps and philosophical entanglements? Will it need to? Success and failure come in many forms - if they come at all.

To participate, you will need to:
  • Pick an animal. It can be one that is traditionally found in a circus though that is not a requirement. It’s more important that you pick something you find interesting and that you’ll enjoy writing about. I won’t decide this for you.
  • Ask for either a philosophy or a fallacy. Your assignment must then be included in, alluded to, or, at the very least, vaguely influence your story. If you :toxx:, I’ll give you a second choice and you can use one or both.
  • Write.

Everything can be extremely metaphorical. Extrapolate as necessary. Esoterically ramble as called. Nothing matters.

subs close sunday midnight est
1314 words

judges
me
sebmojo (weird)

writers
SlipUp*
Saucy_Rodent
NAGA LIU KANG*
Thranguy
Yoruichi*
killer crane
dmboogie*
Ironic Twist
crimea*
flerp
a friendly penguin
Antivehicular*
Quartz Crusher
J.A.B.C.*
Something Else*
The Saddest Rhino
Chili*
sandnavyguy
Doctor Eckhart*
Sitting Here

*toxxed

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 3, 2020

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

SlipUp posted:

In, :toxx:, one of each, animal tbd

Your philosophy is Gadamer's hermeneutics (or just broadly hermeneutics). Your fallacy is the wisdom of the crowd.

Saucy_Rodent posted:

In unicorn philosophy

Your philosophy is bioethics.

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

In :toxx: one of each, a regular cat

Your philosophy is deontology. Your fallacy is line drawing.

Thranguy posted:

In with a Polar Bear and a Fallacy.

Your fallacy is genetic.

Yoruichi posted:

In :toxx: one of each please kind sir

Your philosophy is bioconservatism. Your fallacy is false dilemma.

killer crane posted:

in, zebra philosophy

Your philosophy is kaizen.

Your philosophy is authoritarianism. Your fallacy is guilt by association.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Ironic Twist posted:

in with a philosophy

Your philosophy is just war.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

crimea posted:

IN CROCODILE :toxx: ONE OF EACH

LET'S GO

Your philosophy is verificationism. Your fallacy is we have to do something.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

flerp posted:

platypus fallacy

Your fallacy is ableism.

a friendly penguin posted:

In, philosophy, sheep

You philosophy is Kantianism.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

In, toad, :toxx: for one of each

let's do this

Your philosophy is eliminative materialism. Your fallacy is tu quoque.

Quartz Crusher posted:

In with jackrabbit and a philosophy

Your philosophy is populism.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Thanks for the crit, Flerp. I need to remember that just because I know the backdrop, I still need to make that matter in my story. Info in my head isn't info in anyone else's, and it hurts my story not to grasp that.

Also, getting back on that horse. Count me in, as a Goat with philosophy and fallacy.

:toxx: up then.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

J.A.B.C. posted:

Edited my post to show the :toxx:

Your philosophy is transcendentalism. Your fallacy is no true scotsman.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Your philosophy is British idealism. Your fallacy is ignoratio elenchi.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

in, flash me a philosophy

Your philosophy is Italian futurism. Which one could argue is a bit more of an artistic movement rather than a true philosophy. If you would argue such, PM me and I'll assign you something different. But I think it's neat and could make for some interesting writing.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Chili posted:

In, mouse :toxx:

Your philosophy is utilitarianism. Your fallacy is traditional wisdom.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

sandnavyguy posted:

I'm in, weasel and fallacy please.

Your fallacy is reverse causation.

Doctor Eckhart posted:

I'm in. Snake, and I'll take a philosophy and a fallacy, my good man.

:toxx: up then.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Doctor Eckhart posted:

Challenge accepted :toxx:

Your philosophy is New Confucianism. This is specifically meant to be the 20th-century movement but I'm not going to fistfight you over neo-Confucianist ideas and tenets if that's more inspiring. Your fallacy is pathetic.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
oh whoever wins this week will take over the bloodthrone and also I'll be sending them a small real life prize in the mail gl everybody

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Sitting Here posted:

im going to be in and write a story about tube worms and you can either flash me a philosophy or not

Your philosophy is psychological egoism.