Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Can't remember if that was the show that Skayde took Quack's money and refused to get on the plane or if that was a different thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

coconono posted:

Was that the KoT where something fell through so they had rush in the ice creams as a replacement?

I don't remember hearing that story, but then again, I only started following Chikara a few months after the first KOT. There was the situation in 2010 where one of the teams was supposed to be Los Ice Creams and Cassandro, but Cassandro had to bow out due to injury and they got Curry Man instead.

coconono posted:

Can't remember if that was the show that Skayde took Quack's money and refused to get on the plane or if that was a different thing.

That was KOT 2010. They instead had the BDK A-Team take on opponents chosen from a hat. It was fixed so the new team was the Osirian Portal and Sara Del Ray with the latter constantly trying to lose on purpose since she was part of the BDK stable.

On a more positive note, this is really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9F1ML62DxE

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was at National Pro Wrestling day yesterday. Really good show, although I think I showed up late (they said the show started at 3 and I was there at like 3:05) and missed the trios match between the Crucible and Forged.

A couple of really good matches, a couple of squashes, and the main event was Hallowicked Vs Quack which was as insane as you'd expect.

Two guys really stood out to me, Matt Makowski and Rocco Gibraltar.

It looks like it was Makowski's first match. He was a former MMA guy and pretty much wears his MMA gear to the ring. It probably helped that he was fighting Jigsaw, but Makiwski's strikes were so stiff and he has a really good no-nonsense persona in the ring which makes him stand out compared to the rest of Chikara. He's going to be really good as long as they don't shove him under a mask and give him a stupid gimmick.

Rocco Gibraltar had a great big guy vs small guy match with Razerhawk. I had a real hard time judging heights, I couldn't believe I'm almost as tall as Hallowicked when he walked by me. That being said, Rocco seemed like he towered over everyone who fought yesterday and is built like a refrigerator. He moved well enough, showed some strength behind his size and was good at taking bumps. He's probably going to be put under a mask and made the enforcer in the next "We're here to destroy Chikara" rudo stable.

Out of the normal Chikara guys, I never thought I'd care about Still Life with Apricots and Pears, but they were fun to watch in a match with Ophidian. They took some really bad bump though at one point, and the back of their shoulder had a huge red mark across it when I saw them walk by.

Boomer Hatfields another guy where I thought I wouldn't like him cause he was just getting a rub off of Dasher. But drat, with Dasher being a heel and not having a mask, he is 100% the guy to pick up the Hatfield mantle.

The only storyline thing that happened was during Sonny DeFarge & The Spoiler Vs Boomer & Zero. Some guy came out and caused a distraction with Spoiler demanding he be thrown out and then grappling with him while being dragged out of the building. I thought the guy had a black and white Matt Classic style mask (White mask with a lot of stars on it) but someone online said it was the original Spoiler? So no idea

Sonny DeFarge is actually good and entertaining, the gimmick is just awful.

Worst part of the show was some loud mouth guy showing up and apparently having no idea how Chikara operates. He nearly got kicked out for cursing, and of course the guy was right in front of me. The only fun thing was at the end of the show watching him try to get out of the seat and he managed to collapse the front two legs of the chair, fall to the ground and nearly take out my girlfriend in all of this.

Oh this was my girlfriend's first Chikara show, so I gave her a rundown of everyone I knew before the match. She got a big laugh out of me explaining that Jigsaw had wrestled in TNA on TV, but they changed his name to Rubix despite him still having a jigsaw piece on the mask he was wearing.

Edit: I did have one question, what is the deal with all the Chikara referees demanding that wrestlers immediately get out of the corner, or to get off the turnbuckles whenever someone climbed them? I thought maybe one of the early match refs was just over excited, but they all did it.

syzpid fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 10, 2020

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

syzpid posted:

Two guys really stood out to me, Matt Makowski and Rocco Gibraltar.

It looks like it was Makowski's first match. He was a former MMA guy and pretty much wears his MMA gear to the ring. It probably helped that he was fighting Jigsaw, but Makiwski's strikes were so stiff and he has a really good no-nonsense persona in the ring which makes him stand out compared to the rest of Chikara. He's going to be really good as long as they don't shove him under a mask and give him a stupid gimmick.

Makowski's had a handful of matches last season. He's pretty much depicted as the ultimate student of the Crucible. He's Ophidian's perfect soldier.

quote:

Edit: I did have one question, what is the deal with all the Chikara referees demanding that wrestlers immediately get out of the corner, or to get off the turnbuckles whenever someone climbed them? I thought maybe one of the early match refs was just over excited, but they all did it.

For the first one, if someone gets grappled into the corner, they're supposed to let go. It's the same principle as someone breaking free from a submission by grabbing the ropes. It's just a minor wrestling rule that lends itself to passive-aggressive gestures when the dominant wrestler backs off.

The other one is just an old school rule that nobody really talks about anymore. I only remember it because NES Pro Wrestling would DQ you for spending too much time on the top rope.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

syzpid posted:

Out of the normal Chikara guys, I never thought I'd care about Still Life with Apricots and Pears, but he was fun to watch in a match with Ophidian. He took some really bad bump though at one point, and the back of his shoulder had a huge red mark across it when I saw him walk by.

Still Life is nonbinary, so they/them

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Makowski is a rookie, but he's been wrestling on the live shows since Chikara went to Chicago. Everything he does looks great, and he has the IT Factor.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Xerzes posted:

the fact that Noted Dirtbag Sidney Bakabella manages to use Still Life's pronoun's correctly is proof to me that anyone saying singular they is confusing is just full of poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm actually really relieved to see Chikara being cool about that stuff because ever since I found out Quack was best buddies with a Fox News guy I was worried he was a big old chud.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Xerzes posted:

My mistake, I'll fix it. I did hear the announcer saying "They are Still Life with Apricot and Pears" and thought that was cool, I just forgot by the end of the show.

Gavok posted:

Makowski's had a handful of matches last season. He's pretty much depicted as the ultimate student of the Crucible. He's Ophidian's perfect soldier.

I haven't been following Chikara as much, so I missed him. I tried googling him but couldn't really find anything but might have misspelled his name.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've never watched Chikara. Is there a place I should start? I'm currently watching king of trios 2011 because I remember this show had a lot of hype back in the day.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

mariooncrack posted:

I've never watched Chikara. Is there a place I should start? I'm currently watching king of trios 2011 because I remember this show had a lot of hype back in the day.

All King of Trios shows are worth watching, though the first two (2007 and 2008) are a bit too much due to how excessively long they are. 2009 is a good one to start with, even if the main event for the first night is endless garbage.

High Noon from the end of 2011 is the best starter show because that's the first time they did iPPV, so they tried to make it as much of a jumping on point as possible and the main event was the finals of their inaugural singles title tournament.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The double main of Bucks vs Colony and Kingston vs Quack makes High Noon pretty watchable. I think it has Cabana vs Archibald Peck, too?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mariooncrack posted:

Pick a card with your faves on it and go from there.

If you get hooked there’s recap shows and whatnot that are helpful because Chikara tends to book major angles to pay out each season.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Any recommendations for things to check out if I just want to read about or listen to people talk about CHIKARA?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Any recommendations for things to check out if I just want to read about or listen to people talk about CHIKARA?

Gavok’s post history. They’ve always been my favorite source of CHIKARA recaps.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

John Cenas Jorts posted:

CHIKARA In 15 is a good podcast

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So remember that weird, unaired show from the end of last year that they filmed and didn't explain what it even is? Looks like they'll be airing it (or part of it) on Saturday morning as CHIKARA Action Arcade.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

So remember that weird, unaired show from the end of last year that they filmed and didn't explain what it even is? Looks like they'll be airing it (or part of it) on Saturday morning as CHIKARA Action Arcade.

There's really nothing good about those matches outside of Quack's one. Looks like WWE deal fell thru so I guess they just wanna use the footage in some fashion.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Have all perverts been vanquished from CHIKARA?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cory Lidle posted:

CHIKARA In 15 is a good podcast

Thanks for this. Genuinely didn't know if there were any podcasts devoted to the company

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Have all perverts been vanquished from CHIKARA?

Its wrestling so probably not

At least Quack acts when he finds out

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Just about everything Sara Del Rey did during the end of her run with the company was great. They were building her up to win the title from Kingston, unfortunately that changed when she signed with E. I'd say Joshimania to the end of her run had a lot of good matches. Just skip any of the matches that involve Saturyne.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ah Saturyne, such promise, so much ego.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

coconono posted:

ah Saturyne, such promise, so much ego.

I don't know about promise. She's the only person I've ever seen have a bad match with Ophidian (at least with Chikara) and I feel like her matches at the major events of the year still had 2 or 3 botches even when they hid her in tag matches. The ending of that match with Ophidian was so messed up that he was cursing loud enough you could hear him

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There was the rumor that Quack had a thing for her/with her which is why she quit CHIKARA :v:

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
She probably quit CHIKARA for the same reason she quit wresting 7-8 times, which is she's a poopbrain who loving sucks.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

syzpid posted:

I don't know about promise. She's the only person I've ever seen have a bad match with Ophidian (at least with Chikara) and I feel like her matches at the major events of the year still had 2 or 3 botches even when they hid her in tag matches. The ending of that match with Ophidian was so messed up that he was cursing loud enough you could hear him

She had good matches with Mr Touchdown. But yeah, I dunno what her deal was. She hated wearing a mask I know. And now she seems to despise wrestling. Shame, cause she was way better as a rookie than most were.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I can't believe this headline is a lie.

Guys who have announced they've severed with the company in the last day or so from what I've seen: Dasher Hatfield (the champ), Hallowicked, Frightmare, Jakob Hammermier, Lucas Calhoun, the Whisper and Green Ant.

They just finished their final show of the season, though it isn't posted on Chikaratopia yet. After that, I can't imagine there's anything else on the horizon unless, say, Quack steps down and hands the keys to Ophidian or something.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Man, I used to love this company. (Until Ashes, I'm just using that as a statement on the current situation).

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Per PWInsider an announcement is forthcoming that CHIKARA will be shutting down

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
:rip:

https://twitter.com/PWInsidercom/status/1275912048434655232

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
the thread title is now a filthy lie

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I wonder if CHIKARA sells off any assets? I want that Max Moon photo that says not to photograph.

Also, now that it's over, I just wanted to say how awful the Crucible angle was. Nothing about it was good.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Quack could have sold the CHIKARA tape library a month ago for way more than whatever they gave Gabe for EVOLVE

Now...they're not touching it

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CHIKARA is no longer a thing for good reasons in 2020. Sure.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
https://twitter.com/MikeQuackenbush/status/1275941688960266246

His Twitter profile pic seems so disjointed from a serious statement like this.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

He's sliding down the shades for a creeper leer.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

oh nothin, i was just selling chikara to my sick uncle... *LOWERS SHADES TO LOOK YOU DEAD IN THE EYE* who's a Model by the way,

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Quack is def the guy who talks all weird to make himself seem more intelligent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I felt like it was only a matter of time until something came out about Quack. Wasn't the rumor that he had to shutdown Chikara for that year because he had cheated on his wife with one of the wrestlers and she was divorcing him and she had been the one financing it mostly?

Kind of sad, Ultramantis Black drew me back into wrestling and Chikara was the first wrestling show I had went to in over a decade. gently caress Quack