Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was at National Pro Wrestling day yesterday. Really good show, although I think I showed up late (they said the show started at 3 and I was there at like 3:05) and missed the trios match between the Crucible and Forged.

A couple of really good matches, a couple of squashes, and the main event was Hallowicked Vs Quack which was as insane as you'd expect.

Two guys really stood out to me, Matt Makowski and Rocco Gibraltar.

It looks like it was Makowski's first match. He was a former MMA guy and pretty much wears his MMA gear to the ring. It probably helped that he was fighting Jigsaw, but Makiwski's strikes were so stiff and he has a really good no-nonsense persona in the ring which makes him stand out compared to the rest of Chikara. He's going to be really good as long as they don't shove him under a mask and give him a stupid gimmick.

Rocco Gibraltar had a great big guy vs small guy match with Razerhawk. I had a real hard time judging heights, I couldn't believe I'm almost as tall as Hallowicked when he walked by me. That being said, Rocco seemed like he towered over everyone who fought yesterday and is built like a refrigerator. He moved well enough, showed some strength behind his size and was good at taking bumps. He's probably going to be put under a mask and made the enforcer in the next "We're here to destroy Chikara" rudo stable.

Out of the normal Chikara guys, I never thought I'd care about Still Life with Apricots and Pears, but they were fun to watch in a match with Ophidian. They took some really bad bump though at one point, and the back of their shoulder had a huge red mark across it when I saw them walk by.

Boomer Hatfields another guy where I thought I wouldn't like him cause he was just getting a rub off of Dasher. But drat, with Dasher being a heel and not having a mask, he is 100% the guy to pick up the Hatfield mantle.

The only storyline thing that happened was during Sonny DeFarge & The Spoiler Vs Boomer & Zero. Some guy came out and caused a distraction with Spoiler demanding he be thrown out and then grappling with him while being dragged out of the building. I thought the guy had a black and white Matt Classic style mask (White mask with a lot of stars on it) but someone online said it was the original Spoiler? So no idea

Sonny DeFarge is actually good and entertaining, the gimmick is just awful.

Worst part of the show was some loud mouth guy showing up and apparently having no idea how Chikara operates. He nearly got kicked out for cursing, and of course the guy was right in front of me. The only fun thing was at the end of the show watching him try to get out of the seat and he managed to collapse the front two legs of the chair, fall to the ground and nearly take out my girlfriend in all of this.

Oh this was my girlfriend's first Chikara show, so I gave her a rundown of everyone I knew before the match. She got a big laugh out of me explaining that Jigsaw had wrestled in TNA on TV, but they changed his name to Rubix despite him still having a jigsaw piece on the mask he was wearing.

Edit: I did have one question, what is the deal with all the Chikara referees demanding that wrestlers immediately get out of the corner, or to get off the turnbuckles whenever someone climbed them? I thought maybe one of the early match refs was just over excited, but they all did it.

syzpid fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Xerzes posted:

Still Life is nonbinary, so they/them

My mistake, I'll fix it. I did hear the announcer saying "They are Still Life with Apricot and Pears" and thought that was cool, I just forgot by the end of the show.

Gavok posted:

Makowski's had a handful of matches last season. He's pretty much depicted as the ultimate student of the Crucible. He's Ophidian's perfect soldier.

I haven't been following Chikara as much, so I missed him. I tried googling him but couldn't really find anything but might have misspelled his name.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Just about everything Sara Del Rey did during the end of her run with the company was great. They were building her up to win the title from Kingston, unfortunately that changed when she signed with E. I'd say Joshimania to the end of her run had a lot of good matches. Just skip any of the matches that involve Saturyne.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

coconono posted:

ah Saturyne, such promise, so much ego.

I don't know about promise. She's the only person I've ever seen have a bad match with Ophidian (at least with Chikara) and I feel like her matches at the major events of the year still had 2 or 3 botches even when they hid her in tag matches. The ending of that match with Ophidian was so messed up that he was cursing loud enough you could hear him

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I felt like it was only a matter of time until something came out about Quack. Wasn't the rumor that he had to shutdown Chikara for that year because he had cheated on his wife with one of the wrestlers and she was divorcing him and she had been the one financing it mostly?

Kind of sad, Ultramantis Black drew me back into wrestling and Chikara was the first wrestling show I had went to in over a decade. gently caress Quack

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Ursa Minor adding his two cents.

https://twitter.com/UrsaMinorSky/status/1275974314261729280

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
lol wasn't this the KOT when The Future Is Now finally gets eliminated, the crowd started chanting "Thank You FIST"? Or was that a different year.

I also like him complaining that Hydra is so popular and so over, it doesn't matter if he fucks up spots that other wrestlers would be poo poo on for messing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

He's also teasing Season 22 so it might be time to change that thread title, CHIKARA is a thing!

How would he even? Towards the end the one good thing you could say was that the core guys (Hallowicked, Frightmare, Ophidian, Dasher) could carry just about anyone to a good match. With those 4 at the very least definitely done with Chikara, Quack and even wrestling in general, there's absolutely nothing to build on. I can't think of any important Chikara guys who haven't spoken out about Quack on twitter.