Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

RIP to david stern. What does the RIP stand for? Peace? Piss? Power? It's up to you, dear reader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

in 2020, the Philadelphia 76ers will win a bunch of games but come short in the east finals

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Paying my respects, I’m more of an MLB/NHL fan, but I actually thought Stern was the best commissioner of the major sports in the recent era. He didn’t put up with Maloof’s lovely exit strategy to sell the Kings, kind of saw the value of Vegas as a pro sports attraction before the NHL and NFL did, and when tangible proof of Donald Sterling’s racism at last emerged he didn’t put up with that poo poo.

Lot of fans didn’t like him for reasons, but I thought his priorities have been good for the sport.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The commish after him was the one who dealt with Sterling actually. Stern tolerated him being a greasy slumlord creep for a long time.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
a happy new year to my fellow learned doctors.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

gently caress the sixers sorry just breaking in the new space

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Rest in piss rear end in a top hat. Say hi to Aubrey McClendon when you get down there.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

nut posted:

gently caress the sixers sorry just breaking in the new space

gently caress you

https://twitter.com/MickstapeShow/status/1212485674324156425?s=20

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Stevie Lee posted:

gently caress you

I think... I’m gonna like this place

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Carlosologist posted:

in 2020, the Philadelphia 76ers will win a bunch of games but come short inof the east finals

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Do not press f
Do not respect david stern

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
David Stern's wanking in hell

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

FF

One F for Stern and one for 2019

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

David Stern being publicly praised for being ornery directly led to Gary Bettman becoming an even bigger piece of poo poo.
Then again he oversaw the Raptors come into existence (but also moved the grizz away but I dont care about that) so it was the best of times and it was the worst of times. hire me for future eulogies if you want,

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
David Stern was a huge piece of poo poo, but it is also undeniable that he was extremely good for pro basketball.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1212518497592520705?s=19

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Goddamn that sucks

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

ChickenMedium posted:

David Stern was a huge piece of poo poo, but it is also undeniable that he was extremely good for pro basketball.
This is my favorite Stern rear end in a top hat moment.
https://twitter.com/Dubs408/status/1212480511228039168?s=19

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
The poo poo post tag is really upsetting, please stop ruining my new year

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Cool Buff Man posted:

its very appropriate, for a vessel which contains my post's

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tae posted:

Rings, duh

I meant even in the last couple of years as LBJ has been sitting on three rings for a while. Not anyone here but on Yahoo boards and other article comments sections even when LBJ passed MJJ in points some were holding on to the past. But there's been a noticeable quietness lately. Like a sudden realization that LBJ may soon have over 35,000 points, 10,000 rebounds, 10,000 assists, 1,000 blocks and 2,000 steals.

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Instead of admitting new teams with a new owners, what if the NBA chopped the season down to 65 or whatever games and then expanded and used the additional teams' games/profits to make current billionaire owners whole? The added four-or-whatever teams would be league-owned but independently managed, and their revenues would go toward salving the wound the current billionaires would suffer from losing 15-18 games off their teams' schedules. After it's been a decade or so and the teams are worth something wholly different and 65 games is the new norm, then sell the four expansion teams off or offer the municipality the option to be like Green Bay. Pie in the sky.

Either that or guillotine the billionaires and make the league a player owned co-op.

I don't think the owners would like to share. They want their own team e.g. "I am a billionaire and this is MY TEAM! This is my fiefdom and all shall bow down to me and worship me! I have enough money so that I can live for hundreds of thousands of years and never have to worry about food, shelter or clothing while billions of people around the world will live their entire lives with a negative net worth. Kiss my signet ring! PS I need more money!"

Declan MacManus posted:

happy new year you dinks time to watch the scottie pippen mr submarine commercial

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=40YkCQcMCpQ

My new years resolution this year is to use geolocation and find the three people who disliked this video...and ask them why.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Zogo posted:

My new years resolution this year is to use geolocation and find the three people who disliked this video...and ask them why.

They are Mr. Submarine's Sworn Arch-Nemeses: J.J. Pepper, the Victory Auto Wrecker Guy, and The Menards Guy

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

VC is officially OLD. He has negative WS this year.

How $470 million worth of fake Nikes get into the US
https://qz.com/1778276/how-counterfeit-nikes-get-into-the-us/

Potential No. 1 2020 NBA Draft pick LaMelo Ball reportedly offered $100 million sneaker endorsement deal
https://sports.yahoo.com/potential-no-1-2020-nba-072120955.html

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Zogo posted:

Potential No. 1 2020 NBA Draft pick LaMelo Ball reportedly offered $100 million sneaker endorsement deal
https://sports.yahoo.com/potential-no-1-2020-nba-072120955.html

would be funny if he signed that contract and then had to make commercials where he's just bulldozing Big Baller Brand merchandise into a landfill

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
holy poo poo that title.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This is my favorite Stern rear end in a top hat moment.
https://twitter.com/Dubs408/status/1212480511228039168?s=19

Did he say "eating your wife"?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Happy new year fellow ball junkies, learned doctors, and 2k school of capology graduates.

Have a hearty new year laugh courtesy of our favorite sport:

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Cool Buff Man posted:

This is my first thread. PLEASE BE KIND!!!, and envision a good thread tag in its place (like the classic "NBA" tag). Thank you

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Did he say "eating your wife"?

"Did you stop beating your wife?" is a symbolic journalistic gotchya question. Your first reaction is to respond "No!" because your brain ignores the "stop".

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

"Did you stop beating your wife?" is a symbolic journalistic gotchya question. Your first reaction is to respond "No!" because your brain ignores the "stop".
That's not what makes it a gotcha question. It's that the question has wife beating as a built in assumption and no simple response can challenge that. No means you still do it, yes means you stopped but did do it, any "well actually" answer is likely to come off as evasive, and any "that question is unfair" response comes off as confrontational and angry.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Algund Eenboom posted:

This is my first thread. PLEASE BE KIND!!!, and envision a good thread tag in its place (like the classic "NBA" tag). Thank you

Tough break pal, the street toughs around here will beat you up until a mod has mercy and changes it. Just the way it is on our little council estate

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
David Stern worked for Proskauer Rose, and from looking at wikipedia he first came into contact with the NBA when Proskauer made him the lead attorney for the NBA against Oscar Robertson, who was suing for free agency.

What I'm saying is: David Stern is probably very bad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

And if you say yes you’re admitting to having beaten your wife.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Like most rich sports administrators, he probably was. But also, he had moments that made great meme content, so who can really say?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

david stern was incredible at the NBA draft, getting booed, hyping up Russ Granik, being in an insanely short, squat man standing next to literal giants

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Happy new year fellow ball junkies, learned doctors, and 2k school of capology graduates.

I can hear the "and one" through this gif

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

extreme Hachimura energy

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/brianmikejacobs/status/1212513346668371968?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
The blazers are shameful, and bad.