Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, actually very reasonable and with a story like that attached I don't feel any reason to doubt them. Even better than they didn't hide behind a perfectly reasonable explanation and actually made a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Det_no posted:

:siren: poo poo just got real when it comes to Steam's Remote Play Together: :siren:

Huh, no Steam account needed for the other person? That sounds amazing.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Resident Evil 7 has finally received the long-awaited update.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Det_no posted:

:siren: poo poo just got real when it comes to Steam's Remote Play Together: :siren:
What games does this work with?

Review time. Stickman has been regularly posting Big Fish Games codes in the free games thread.

Big Fish is like a... casual game collection thing? Hidden object, tower defense, diner-dash (spoilers - the subject of this particular review). You get a 60 minute demo for every game, which is fairly neat.

Personally, I'm primarily interested in and are currently reviewing Gamehouse games (some of which are on steam, so I believe this post is almost borderline relevant here). They're diner-dash clones (diner-lites?). If you're familiar with the term, feel free to skip the next paragraphs, where I try to laboriously illustrate a concept that's easily understood by searching youtube for a minute or so of game footage.

In a Diner-like, you're servicing customers at an establishment. They walk up to the counter or sit at a table or lie on a hospital bed, and ask for cookies, an IV-injection, or a witch-doctor hat. Your avatar has to walk up to the item or items in question (scattered around the room in an unsound and inconvenient fashion) and pick it up \ follow a multi-stage preparation process, then bring it back to the costumer. The quicker you are, the more points you get, and customers who waited too long eventually grow angry and leave (preferring to eat \ have their surgery at the restaurant \ hospital across the street). But on the other hand, you also get bonuses for servicing several customers in a row without picking up any more items, so there's a bit of a balancing act, which gets more complex with more variables as you go through the game.

Before and after each level, you get a bit of the ongoing storyline (generally a Lifetime sitcom of sorts). Your family just moved into the neighborhood and is having trouble getting along with the neighbors, Miss Siftieg may have lupus, the Bayville strangler has switched MOs and is now burning the remains of his victims. This may influence the unique challenge in a particular level - between servicing regular customers, you also need to complete preparations for the big BBQ, process some blood samples, and find all the body parts stashed around the strangler's apartment. Fun times all around.

I've played through 3 games, reviewed in order.

Fabulous: New York to LA is relatively recent (2019), and fairly "modernized".

185 (!) regular levels, (and like 40 additional challenge levels). Everything moves very fast - customers tell you what they want almost instantly, all changing and modelling is done very quickly, not many items need a timer to prepare. The levels are also fairly quick, 2-3 minutes each (particularly since you can just call additional customers in at will). The story is spread extremely thin, only a few lines per level, with quite a few regular levels having no intro \ outro scenes at all.

And the story itself is a bit of a nothing - Angela moves to L.A, fame kinda-sorta goes to her head, then she figures out who her friends are and moves right back (expenses are actually mentioned and hand-waived - I suppose a fashion designer who won contests and have run numerous stores would have a few hundred thousand lying around for investments, but it still feels off in some way. Maybe because we're so used to everywoman characters, particularly in this series?).

There are occasionally fully animated (ok, limited animation, but not just sprites interacting) scenes. Which is... borderline adequate, but makes you wonder whether that's the best use of a limited budget. Particularly since the characters express themselves via a highly-limited stock sound effect library. "Ooh! Ah! Awwww!" - doesn't really work even in fairly generic scene, much less when trying to accompany an ostensibly genuinely emotional level.

Probably the biggest change \ issue - if you don't finish a level at 5 stars (and until you figure out that the winning strategy is "get as many people as possible waiting for check out and pile on the bonuses by checking them all out at once", you might struggle), replaying the level just adds to your score and you get 5 stars more or less automatically. I haven't found a way to "reset" the level so that you'll complete (or fail to complete) it at 5 stars "for real". Kinda minimizes the challenges and replay value (then again, that's why you have 200+ levels).

Conversely, Delicious - Emily's True Love and Emily's Wonder Wedding (so old school that they aren't actually on steam, making this review barely 1\3d relevant) had that old school pain that I wanted.

The first time a customer walked up to the counter and just stared at me for 10 seconds with a "..." over his head before finally settling on an order, I really had to shift gears (Fabulous, as noted, was practically instant). (Brings to mind various "what do you expect to find in a McDonald's, you goddamned moron" memes. Emily currently stocked an overwhelming variety of 4(!) products).

So. Old school game, old school charm. Each level takes 5-6 minutes, and oddly enough, that it feels 3 times as long as an average Fabulous level, rather than 2. Mostly because everything is more leisurely, but on the cusp of a fuckup cascade at any moment. Your score doesn't add up over replays - you either 5 star the level or don't, there's no pity bonus for replaying (well, there is, but it's not automatic). As noted, things can be going well - except that when you bring a full order to a table, it turns out they wanted an orange-blue cocktail, not a blue-orange one. So now you're slightly behind and have to remake the cocktail, and now your stew has boiled over (just as another table asks for more stew) and the errant sheep managed to escape before you could click it, and the customer waiting for towels is growing angry, and you've somehow made the orange-blue coacktail AGAIN... and now the level is practically over - might as well rage-quit and try again later. This is exactly the frustrating and addictive gameplay I wanted - no magic solutions, no tricks, just your ability to balance everything on a knives-edge. Challenge levels are genuinely challenging and hard to get through.

70 levels each (including the challenge levels, which get genuinely difficult). A lot of sitcom shenanigans - Emily travels to Paris (stopping at every restaurant along the way to help out, of course) to meet her true love, but it turns out he was in Snuggford all along. Then they get married (which also involves traveling to the most Irish restaurants in Scot-Ireland ever, complete with green leprechauns). Sheep get unleashed in pubs, dogs fall down a magic well, fiances fall down a magic well, fun times are had all around. No animated cutscenes, just sprites played for all their worth (even if the exact same cross-eyed, "huh?!" baffled expression on multiple characters gets old) , which kinda works for that old-school sitcom charm. There are even some very special episode style special effects and meaningful choices.

Some bugs - for some reason, the delicious series seems relatively plagued with them, despite being very simple games. At one point, Emily had to go off-screen to help a friend with some... flamenco lessons or whatever? and the game just kept on going, with the customers growing angry and leaving. Skipped the cutscene upon replay, no issues.

A lot of gamehouse reviews are basically "hey, did you want a diner dash clone? Well, this is a diner dash clone. What more do you want?" which I kinda disagree with. But in this case, it's hard to definitively say whether Wedding or New York are better (True Love is definitely a lesser entry), given that their styles are so radically different. But hey - only of these is even on steam, so unless you start checking out those sweet game coupons on Big Fish, there's not much of a choice.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 25, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

holy poo poo, this is unprecedented. I'm going to go thank them on twitter.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

HopperUK posted:

Can't see your wishlist but my destressors are:

Wilmot's Warehouse

that game is the literal opposite of a destressor for me, it feels like physically cataloguing my own anxiety and then having to remember where I filed away my mental break from 8 years ago and retrieve it without colliding it with the rest of the poo poo I have squirreled away and loving everything up beyond repair

Captain Invictus posted:

WoW fully broke me, [in] never wanting to get that deep into a game again.

...says the person about to dive into Factorio :v: Really though, I hope you enjoy it and as others have said you should probably just turn enemy expansion off for the best experience, but you might want to clear your schedule for several hours before starting. Also you might need to look up how to make a central bus around the time you get into plastics production, because as fun as spaghetti factories are they're unfeasible to scale up past the midgame.

Xander77 posted:

What games does this work with?

In theory, I think everything on Steam? In practice, should be everything that a half-second of input lag isn't going to render unplayable for everyone but the host.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 25, 2021

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MonkeyforaHead posted:

In theory, I think everything on Steam? In practice, should be everything that a half-second of input lag isn't going to render unplayable for everyone but the host.
Remote Play Together only works with games that have local multiplayer. It's a super nice feature that allows me to play games with a friend who only has a crappy laptop.

Also it's nothing new, it's been a feature since November 2019, now you can just invite people who don't have a Steam account to play with you. Seems like only thing needed is Steam Link software.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 25, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sininu posted:

Seems like only thing needed is Steam Link software.
?

Which means...? (I mean, I've seen the Steam Link silhouettes plastered all over the explanation page and assumed that it required the hardware)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Xander77 posted:

?

Which means...? (I mean, I've seen the Steam Link silhouettes plastered all over the explanation page and assumed that it required the hardware)

Steam Link is the general name for remote connections of any sort now, not the old hardware device that streamed stuff inside your house. They expanded that project tenfold and removed any specific hardware requirements.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Xander77 posted:

?

Why would Steam introduce a new feature that requires hardware that's discontinued long ago?
And the explaination on those pages and even the post you quoted says this:

quote:

Send the link to your friend on Windows, iOS, Android, or Raspberry Pi, and they can click your invite to join in the fun.

quote:

Invite Anyone with a link and your friend will be invited to install the Steam Link app before connecting. Once installed, Steam Link enables a quick connection to your game session. If your friend has Steam installed, it will instead be used to facilitate the session.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 25, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

As someone who has only ever been peripherally aware of Steam Link as a vague concept, I only just learned it no longer requires hardware like a month ago.

Hell I didn't even know the hardware was full blown discontinued. You can still find Steam pages for the hardware and I don't recall it being obvious it was redundant / gone last I looked at it. The page for the Steam Link App even describes the hardware as "We are continuing to support the product and believe it is a valuable part of the Steam Link ecosystem." which does not make it clear at all that you don't need it for most use cases.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 25, 2021

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The whole Steam Link/Big Picture ecosystem is a real shitshow, and I say that as someone who used it primarily for a few years.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Never got it to work to my satisfaction after hours of network troubleshooting and messing with configuration and settings. Always ended up with fairly predictable and annoying audio hitches no matter what. One of these days I'm going to get the upstairs wired with ethernet and try again with both pcs on a wired connection.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the steamlink stuff is cool in theory but I had similar issues with it. It just never ran super well. I can wirelessly stream VR games from my PC to my Quest 2 and it works like magic yet for whatever reason, even hardwired, trying games over steamlink had input lag and buffering issues.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My problem was always controller lag, I could never get it acceptably low enough

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Doctor Nutt posted:

Never got it to work to my satisfaction after hours of network troubleshooting and messing with configuration and settings. Always ended up with fairly predictable and annoying audio hitches no matter what. One of these days I'm going to get the upstairs wired with ethernet and try again with both pcs on a wired connection.

I had a fully wired setup and still encountered continual frustration with controllers not being detected or integrated properly, crashing, and general bad UI design. There was probably input lag as well, but not enough such that my gameplay was impacted- I never played fighting games etc on it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I only just recently tried to use it because Siralim Ultimate hasn't been ported to Android yet and someone on the subreddit said they got it working via Steam Link. I tried but all that would happen when I launched the app on my phone was my desktop would go into Big Picture mode and then I couldn't actually interact with the game on my phone.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Suggestions for relaxing, beautiful/colorful games to play on a 120" projector while stoned? Bonus points if they're great with a controller and/or have a very easy mode.

I'd love something like Warframe or Diablo 3, where I can just sit back and rake in all the loot without having to think too hard. Of course, I have played the poo poo out of these games so I'm looking for something new.

Games like Abzu and Journey are great, but I guess I'm looking for something with numbers going up if that makes sense.

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 25, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

That's awesome, good on them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blattdorf posted:

The long awaited collab with Earth Defense Force.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blattdorf posted:

Talkin' bout bugfix

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

biggest annoyance with remote play is wireless interference. if you live in a big city expect to have problems even on 5ghz. or to have to change your wireless channel a lot

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

space marine todd posted:

Suggestions for relaxing, beautiful/colorful games to play on a 120" projector while stoned? Bonus points if they're great with a controller and/or have a very easy mode.

I'd love something like Warframe or Diablo 3, where I can just sit back and rake in all the loot without having to think too hard. Of course, I have played the poo poo out of these games so I'm looking for something new.

Games like Abzu and Journey are great, but I guess I'm looking for something with numbers going up if that makes sense.

Borderlands games fill that niche for me. Fun, colorful, goofy, lots of loot. Running over ratdog monsters in cars never gets old.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

You should play Thumper with the volume up screaming loud. This recommendation is almost 100% the opposite of what you’ve requested, but the thought of a person extremely high and being blasted by a wall-scale version of that game is highly funny to me.

Well, before you play, do you have insurance that covers mental health treatment?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

You should play Thumper with the volume up screaming loud. This recommendation is almost 100% the opposite of what you’ve requested, but the thought of a person extremely high and being blasted by a wall-scale version of that game is highly funny to me.

Well, before you play, do you have insurance that covers mental health treatment?
Back when I still smoked weed, that would've been my perfect stoner game. Just pure sound, color and rhythm. Could've just watched that go by for hours.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Destiny 2 might be something to consider in addition to the stuff other folks have mentioned. It's a confusing mess of a game right now but numbers go up and it's pretty, and the content is really only as hard as you make it depending on what you'd like to do. If you want to blast aliens and get loot drops regularly it will do that for you for sure. Plus you get to be a space wizard.

e: when I'm into destiny I play stoned like 90% of the time to no ill effect even in group content

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Good to hear.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1365005940739743745?s=20

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Maybe someone other than Bioware should make it, you know, just a thought

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Has Sin Slayers been removed from Steam?

It's featured in this Fanatical Bundle. When I try to google it, none of the Steam links work.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle...tm_medium=email

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

bamhand posted:

It's featured in this Fanatical Bundle. When I try to google it, none of the Steam links work.

Looks like it, the Steam widget on the official site doesn't even work.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

I'll believe it when I see it. Then again, maybe the industry is finally running out of GAAS and can leave that asinine business model behind. I'm sure Bioware will somehow gently caress it up though. That's the only thing they excel at these days.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

bamhand posted:

Looks like the publisher was banned (or momentarily suspended) for some reason. Probably a paperwork kind of thing.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Would the game still activate? Mainly just curious at this point, reviews for the game are mixed at best. Also seems like the dev is called Goonswarm, are they from this forum?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

bamhand posted:

Here's the discussion page: https://steamcommunity.com/app/783190/discussions/
No comment on the delisting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

No Man's Sky might work for you.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sininu posted:

Remote Play Together only works with games that have local multiplayer. It's a super nice feature that allows me to play games with a friend who only has a crappy laptop.

Remote Play is a dirty word among my gaming friends in that it never works even remotely well for them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It does feel like we’re maybe at the tail end of the latest craze that every company is doing until they aren’t. If so there’s still going to be some coming, desperate to have the next Fortnite (here’s to you, hundreds of past dead MMORPGs) but maybe maybe maybe we’re at the “hm, maybe not every game has to be a modern military FPS” point.

And here’s to the next craze.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Here's a very cheap tiny game about flying in colourful landscapes and doing sick tricks for points, Superflight. Not sure how well it'd go with weed, but came to mind :)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

bamhand posted:

Would the game still activate? Mainly just curious at this point, reviews for the game are mixed at best. Also seems like the dev is called Goonswarm, are they from this forum?

More than likely. Even if games get delisted they remain in people's libraries and I imagine the same applies for game codes that have already been generated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah the code should still activate if the game is delisted