Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I was thinking about getting back into Destiny 2 (put way too many hours into it), but the game manages to still feel like a whole bunch of chores without the easy fun and bright lights of Warframe.

Sloppy posted:

Borderlands games fill that niche for me. Fun, colorful, goofy, lots of loot. Running over ratdog monsters in cars never gets old.

Oh! I never got too far in BL3 so this sounds great (especially with trainers to make it even easier).

[quote="NObodyNOWHERE" post="512792662"]
You should play Thumper with the volume up screaming loud. This recommendation is almost 100% the opposite of what you’ve requested, but the thought of a person extremely high and being blasted by a wall-scale version of that game is highly funny to me.

Well, before you play, do you have insurance that covers mental health treatment?

Haha, I actually tried this as my first game on the new big screen weed setup. I loving loved it, but I'm also a musician so it wasn't too stressful (although I had to adjust my reaction time because of being high).

I'd love more games like that actually, although with some form of invulnerability would be great (getting less points is fine, but having to restart is no fun in this altered state).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/Distant_Worlds_Universe/

Distant Worlds is 90% off

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Anyone have thoughts on Fantasy General 2? It's currently on sale. Also Warhammer Gladius.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1025440/Fantasy_General_II/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/489630/Warhammer_40000_Gladius__Relics_of_War/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kind of missing the point that the MP mode was actually wildly popular for ME3 and DA:I's MP did pretty good as well. When done right it's a pretty good system.

Still doesn't help the fact that Bioware is led by gently caress-up management and people keep fleeing the project in droves.

Anthem revealed all the cracks in Bioware, including the "original" studio thinking it was the A team and the other offices in Austin/Montreal were B/C team, so when the other places got roped in to trying to fix the disaster that was Anthem and tried to offer suggestions based on their experiences making online games (SWTOR for example) the "A team" leadership told them to shut the gently caress up and that no one cared.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

The System Shock remake can be preordered now, which I think is a new thing, despite that the release date is still just "summer 2021". Not that I'm going to preorder it but hopefully this means it's finally out of its mismanaged cycle of development hell. I've never been able to get into the original because, whoof, even with mouse control patched in that interface is just TOO rough (and then it's an absolute nightmare to get the music to not sound like poo poo on modern hardware).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

When I think gaming news, I think Bloomberg.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Jason Schreier works for Bloomberg. It’s his own article.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ultrafilter posted:

I mean with schreier now, the One Real Games Journalist, kind of, yeah

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007

bamhand posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Gladius.

I liked it. It's a dumbed-down Civ5 with a 40k skin. Also has paradox levels of dlc. But it's a lot cheaper than plastic speceman.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
This isn't in defence of games-as-a-service, but maybe Anthem flopped and Fallen Order didn't because the latter was a functional video game and the other was a sucky bug-ridden mess? It would be like if DOOM Eternal came out in an unplayable half-finished state and flopped hard, but publishers went "oh our research suggests FPSs are out now:downs:", but I'm no learned market analyst like EA's got, what do I know

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wouldn't hold up Fallen Order as a bug-free game

e: also the reason GAAS fail is because you can't have a dozen competing games that all expect you to sink 500 hours into them and be the only game you play with your friends. people will pick THE ONE game that they and their friends play, and that's it. i don't think anyone simultaneously plays hours of genshin impact, the division 2, anthem, destiny 2, FF14, fortnite, apex legends, warframe, and avengers all in one day, or one week, or even one month. i could see someone playing a COUPLE of them, but inevitably there will be GAAS failures because people only have so many hours in a day

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 25, 2021

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Gladius is cool, kind of like a stripped down Civ-style 4X where each faction is actually quite a bit different from the other ones. I bought it 2 weeks ago and have been happy with it, kind of annoyed it's like $5 cheaper now, haha.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

e: also the reason GAAS fail is because you can't have a dozen competing games that all expect you to sink 500 hours into them and be the only game you play with your friends. people will pick THE ONE game that they and their friends play, and that's it. i don't think anyone simultaneously plays hours of genshin impact, the division 2, anthem, destiny 2, FF14, fortnite, apex legends, warframe, and avengers all in one day, or one week, or even one month. i could see someone playing a COUPLE of them, but inevitably there will be GAAS failures because people only have so many hours in a day

It’s just everyone making MMORPGs again under a different name and payment model.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

Yeah but it was a finished, fun product.

Lots of dumb things in the game, the story got completely nonsensical (but hey, Star Wars) but nothing was as much fun as sneaking around listening to Stormtroopers talk about their day, then hearing them scream and freak out when you jump around the corner to surprise them. I still think I could recall a handful of those conversations from memory even a year later.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
has anyone tried the Outriders demo yet? not normally into looter-shooters but it's from the Bulletstorm studio

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Barry Convex posted:

has anyone tried the Outriders demo yet? not normally into looter-shooters but it's from the Bulletstorm studio

There's a thread about it where we're sharing experiences, it seems extraordinarily mediocre so far. I haven't played past the tutorial yet because I'm working but yeah seems like it might be fine-to-bad.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/rockpapershot/status/1365045563817926660

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

treasure trove of data for apple there

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

LewdMonocle posted:

I liked it. It's a dumbed-down Civ5 with a 40k skin. Also has paradox levels of dlc. But it's a lot cheaper than plastic speceman.

WarEternal posted:

Gladius is cool, kind of like a stripped down Civ-style 4X where each faction is actually quite a bit different from the other ones. I bought it 2 weeks ago and have been happy with it, kind of annoyed it's like $5 cheaper now, haha.

Is the combat like Civ where you have one unit per tile on the map? Or like Age of Wonders where you have stacks and go into a tactical map for combat?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

bamhand posted:

Is the combat like Civ where you have one unit per tile on the map? Or like Age of Wonders where you have stacks and go into a tactical map for combat?

One per tile, which by the way it's your only real advantage against the AI, at higher levels it gets so cheattastic that playing big maps in FFA style becomes a big no-no.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The System Shock remake can be preordered now, which I think is a new thing, despite that the release date is still just "summer 2021". Not that I'm going to preorder it but hopefully this means it's finally out of its mismanaged cycle of development hell. I've never been able to get into the original because, whoof, even with mouse control patched in that interface is just TOO rough (and then it's an absolute nightmare to get the music to not sound like poo poo on modern hardware).

Thanks for that update, and I'm in the same position as you. Really interested, but cautious. Plus I don't want to play it enough to pay A$65. They posted an update about where it's at that and they are still planning for late Summer 2021 release, and a new demo is out for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

this seems completely absurd.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

this seems completely absurd.

Valve will be fine.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

that loving header image :lol:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

that loving header image :lol:

you know what it's from, right? epic made an anti-apple propaganda video to accompany their lawsuit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euiSHuaw6Q4

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Barry Convex posted:

Feels pretty mediocre to me, it's pulling bits from a bunch of different games so it feels stale, and the combat is nothing special, the abilities are heading towards interesting but I'm really not impressed with any of it personally. It's not really the goofy liveliness of Bulletstorm more on the grim side which is a real turnoff for me personally.

It didn't explode my computer or anything so probably worth giving a whirl if you're interested but I wouldn't go in expecting Bulletstorm 2.

Here is a link to the order:https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.356.0.pdf
Valve explaining exactly how they could obtain the data was a mistake(as I thought), the definition of "games market" is a merit question and at the heart of the whole issue so they don't want to limit the information that can be used to decide that question but they did limit the scope of the data that Apple can collect, and obviously comparison of sales between Epic and Steam shows competition. There are a few more rebuttals of Steam's arguments in there but that's largely the gist.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 26, 2021

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Blattdorf posted:

Resident Evil 7 has finally received the long-awaited update.

lmao

I see you, and I appreciate you.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

:psyboom:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

And here’s to the next craze.

The next craze better be wildlife photography games

I feel like the world could use that right now

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Barry Convex posted:

Hub Cat posted:

Feels pretty mediocre to me, it's pulling bits from a bunch of different games so it feels stale, and the combat is nothing special, the abilities are heading towards interesting but I'm really not impressed with any of it personally. It's not really the goofy liveliness of Bulletstorm more on the grim side which is a real turnoff for me personally.

It didn't explode my computer or anything so probably worth giving a whirl if you're interested but I wouldn't go in expecting Bulletstorm 2.

Yeah, just ran through what there is with a friend and it fell completely flat for both of us. I played Pyromancer and the first 3 powers felt completely anemic, he played the tank class and sorta liked it but mentioned the controls/camera for the powers were kinda weird.

Guns feel... alright? Gameplay feels like a mix between Gears and Division, but not quite as good as either of those.

Dunno, it's not terrible, but I'm not gonna be grabbing it at launch (and most likely not during a sale either).

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The next craze better be wildlife photography games

I feel like the world could use that right now

Also where the animals can sometimes come up to you and sleep on you or just hang out like you sometimes see with real photographers. And a macro mode for insect photography.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I tried out the Timberborn demo from the last demo-event and...I really want to like it but my little beaver-people lust for their own deaths too powerfully. I plopped down a few buildings and then first everyone almost died of thirst and then did all die of hunger because there seems to be no way to prioritise tasks and the default AI happily builds paths rather than water pumps and farms. It seems like there might be cool things to do with dams and mechanical power systems, but I don't know. Besides everyone dying, the tutorial just showed me how to gather berries and logs then told me gl, hf and that was that. I did learn that mature trees fully re-grow much faster than blueberries ripen though, something I had not been previously aware of.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

HopperUK posted:

The only reason I'd play Diablo 2 at this point is because I can be a werewolf. Is there another ARPG where I can be a werewolf yet?

Shining Soul II had that back in 2003 if handhelds count.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, just ran through what there is with a friend and it fell completely flat for both of us. I played Pyromancer and the first 3 powers felt completely anemic, he played the tank class and sorta liked it but mentioned the controls/camera for the powers were kinda weird.

Guns feel... alright? Gameplay feels like a mix between Gears and Division, but not quite as good as either of those.

Dunno, it's not terrible, but I'm not gonna be grabbing it at launch (and most likely not during a sale either).

I just got my class, picked Trickster. My first skill is an aoe attack that flays everyone 10 yards in front of me to the bone and then they explode. It's been neat so far but I'm just starting.

e: ok my second ability gives me bullet time where I can dodge bullets and is on something like a 30s cooldown. My melee attack stuns people and then explodes them. Having fun so far. Guns also feel meatier than The Division.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 26, 2021

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

mature trees fully re-grow much faster than blueberries ripen

Steam Thread:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It’s blowing my mind that demos are a normal thing again. Feels like the industry stopped making demos like 15 years ago.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

What's more mystifying to me is that the majority of them these days seem to not be time-limited in how long you can play, but time-limited in how long they exist for. Like, for double-A and indie games too. I don't get it.

Gromit posted:

Thanks for that update, and I'm in the same position as you. Really interested, but cautious. Plus I don't want to play it enough to pay A$65. They posted an update about where it's at that and they are still planning for late Summer 2021 release, and a new demo is out for it.

Huh, it's an actual new demo this time. The last time they put up a demo it was a reissuing of the crusty old pre-alpha from the kickstarter. Definitely still has a few bugs, and wow the cyberspace sequence is rough (I can't even look directly at the "logging in" animation or whatever you'd call it).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

It’s blowing my mind that demos are a normal thing again. Feels like the industry stopped making demos like 15 years ago.

It seems like it's a direct result of discoverability being so bad.

The risk of someone playing the demo and deciding not to buy is now less than the risk of people not having any awareness of your game at all.

Steam festivals need something to be more than a large list of games, so they now offer demos to attract eyeballs and click through to the game page.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay I'm in love with nonsense chess now:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1064340/Chess_Evolved_Online/

It's free and features all kinds of weird chess figures that makes it full chaos and fun to play, very reactive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MonkeyforaHead posted:

What's more mystifying to me is that the majority of them these days seem to not be time-limited in how long you can play, but time-limited in how long they exist for. Like, for double-A and indie games too. I don't get it.

I feel like part of this comes from how a few times now, the demo has allowed people to crack poorly implemented DRM on a finished release.