Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

fez_machine posted:

It seems like it's a direct result of discoverability being so bad.

The risk of someone playing the demo and deciding not to buy is now less than the risk of people not having any awareness of your game

Ah yes, also the source of my favorite thing: a tweet from a game news site announcing a new article reporting that a publisher has tweeted an announcement that they will be making an announcement about their game at a later date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay I'm in love with nonsense chess now:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1064340/Chess_Evolved_Online/

It's free and features all kinds of weird chess figures that makes it full chaos and fun to play, very reactive

I love that two of the top reviews are "this game is frustrating and terribly balanced. I love it, recommended"

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

MonkeyforaHead posted:

What's more mystifying to me is that the majority of them these days seem to not be time-limited in how long you can play, but time-limited in how long they exist for. Like, for double-A and indie games too. I don't get it.
I mean a big thing is not having to maintain a fork for the demo and/or have an old version floating around turning people off your game. Demos are a mixed bag for developers they mainly want exposure and time limiting lets them manage the downsides, it's anti-consumer obviously but I'm betting most people use refunds in lieu at this point intentionally or not.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 26, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

In particular demos used to be forked off the 1.0 build of a game or something close to it, but a lot of the Steam festival demos I've tried are much earlier builds more akin to what they'd show the press at E3

Definitely not something you'd want to keep up forever as a sample of your game

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay I'm in love with nonsense chess now:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1064340/Chess_Evolved_Online/

It's free and features all kinds of weird chess figures that makes it full chaos and fun to play, very reactive

This is like playing super hero make believe in elementary school where you and your friends would come up with ridiculous ways to get out of whatever death trap the bad guy trapped you in. I might try this

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FWIW a lot of indie games have early build demos on itch.io and many of them stay up on itch.io after the Steam Festival ends and even when their game releases. they just don't bother maintaining it and there's a reason the phrase "demo not representative of final version" exists

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I definitely get not wanting to keep the demo up indefinitely when it's an early and/or unrepresentative build, but having it be available for a grand total of something like 4 days to a week just seems absurd to me. If you want to draw attention you've gotta have a bigger window than that! I've not seen much crossover between itch and Steam for demos, usually what seems to happen is a more proof-of-concept phase of the game spends a while as just a (usually free) release on itch with a series of updates that then goes silent for a while before reappearing as a commercial Steam release, after which the itch page is either deleted, abandoned, or brought up to date as a DRM-free alternative.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I feel like part of this comes from how a few times now, the demo has allowed people to crack poorly implemented DRM on a finished release.

Ehhh, the people who do that kind of thing would be likelier to have used a roundabout means to preserve the demo in its limited availability in the first place.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

HopperUK posted:

The only reason I'd play Diablo 2 at this point is because I can be a werewolf. Is there another ARPG where I can be a werewolf yet?

Darkstone a Diablo knock off from 1999, featured a wizard werewolf. This is not a serious recommendation.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Underwhelmed posted:

Darkstone a Diablo knock off from 1999, featured a wizard werewolf. This is not a serious recommendation.

That class was the coolest to play because of how it worked mechanically. Darkstone had HP + Attack as physical stats and MP + casting as magical stats.

When you used the werewolf transformation you swapped those sets of stats, so you could make your regular form a glass cannon that kept trying to stay transformed, or maybe you build up as an actual generalist with the were-form as an rear end-kicking bomb in reserve, or... Game was C-tier but it punched above its weight here and there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well I don’t think I know quite what to make of Outriders yet but the early game isn’t really showing much regardless. Looking at what I have seen and through the menus at stuff I won’t be able to unlock it does seem like there’s potentially fun stuff ahead but there’s just not enough to go on.

I do know it is ridiculously edgy though, like if Borderlands took its setting seriously. As in “already been multiple references to eating children” edgy.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I definitely get not wanting to keep the demo up indefinitely when it's an early and/or unrepresentative build, but having it be available for a grand total of something like 4 days to a week just seems absurd to me. If you want to draw attention you've gotta have a bigger window than that! I've not seen much crossover between itch and Steam for demos, usually what seems to happen is a more proof-of-concept phase of the game spends a while as just a (usually free) release on itch with a series of updates that then goes silent for a while before reappearing as a commercial Steam release, after which the itch page is either deleted, abandoned, or brought up to date as a DRM-free alternative.

Ehhh, the people who do that kind of thing would be likelier to have used a roundabout means to preserve the demo in its limited availability in the first place.

I feel like when you've got backlogs as thicc as this, demos being time limited adds some urgency that makes people more likely to try them out rather than putting it off for a bit and forgetting about them entirely. The festivals really should be at least 2 weeks long though so actual adult rear end adults can participate in them. If the festivals were indefinite they wouldn't be festivals, they would be festival, and a festival that doesn't stop isn't a long party, it's substance abuse problem. Also I would never buy games again because I am a busy man with a short attention span and demo length is just about the perfect game length to me. Even this post is too long i don't care anym

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

What's that nu-retro FPS where you wield the cane and smash a billion crates? I can never remember the name of it and I wasn't even aware it was IN the festival with its time-limited demo... the exact same time-limited demo as it had the last time... until a couple weeks after it had already up and vanished again. That's more my point, not that I see stuff and put it off, but that there's stuff I don't even see until after the fact.

e: vv yeah that's the one.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 26, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

What's that nu-retro FPS where you wield the cane and smash a billion crates? I can never remember the name of it and I wasn't even aware it was IN the festival with its time-limited demo... the exact same time-limited demo as it had the last time... until a couple weeks after it had already up and vanished again. That's more my point, not that I see stuff and put it off, but that there's stuff I don't even see until after the fact.

Graven?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Monster Hunter Rise has been confirmed for PC albeit later than rumored. Coming early 2022.
https://www.ign.com/articles/monster-hunter-rise-is-coming-to-pc-in-2022

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm a very picky video game player and I've been trying to find something I really like after going through Divinity OS2 a number of plays. Middle-earth shadow of war is quite a pleasant surprise, I really like it so far. Even though I'm not a particular aficionado of the genre or Tolkein. It's like a spider-man game, really. The very free movement feels fairly acrobatic (which IMO is a rarity in non-2D games.) It might be kind of a babby game for people in this thread since it's very you know, mainstream, polished, and accessible--not even too hard on hard mode--but I'm sold on it largely due to the basic mechanics of moving around being fun. It's a breath of fresh air after the punishment of Dark Souls III, where you can't jump off a stepladder without dying and you can't get anywhere from anywhere.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think Shadow of War was basically a sequel that was 'more of the same', but perhaps too much so. Remarkably relevant due to the demo discussion, I'd say you get around 90% of the game's content in the demo, especially all the good stuff (Gruul's voice acting), and it only takes a few hours to play through. The final game is basically repeating the demo's contents over and over, it wears its welcome out long before you get anywhere near the game's end. This might have come about from the publishers trying to force "forever-game" multiplayer dynamics into a single player game, and making everything terrible as a result.

It's been a very very long time since I played the original (Shadow of Mordor), and I wonder if the first game holds up better in terms of pacing? I know they both suffer from downward difficulty slopes etc.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mescal posted:

I'm a very picky video game player and I've been trying to find something I really like after going through Divinity OS2 a number of plays. Middle-earth shadow of war is quite a pleasant surprise, I really like it so far. Even though I'm not a particular aficionado of the genre or Tolkein. It's like a spider-man game, really. The very free movement feels fairly acrobatic (which IMO is a rarity in non-2D games.)
It pretty much is, yes. The Middle-Earth games and especially the Arkham Batman games share a lot of DNA with each other. It's personally one of my favourite games of its generation, I spent a lot of time loving with orcs and figuring out better ways to gently caress with orcs.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
I picked up Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes and MG5 for like 4 bucks from fanatical, having never played a Metal Gear game and knowing nothing about them.

Played Ground Zeroes. Once I got into the actual gameplay part, it was pretty fun. Kinda Hitman-y stealth action with more action and sans disguises. I realized I had no idea what the story for the games was (despite the intro cutscene), so I went and checked the "backstory" part of the menu.

:wtc: it threw essentially decades of various types of snakes, bosses, bigger bosses, and several near-identically named nuclear weapons platforms at me. Also acronym salad. I have no idea if the guy I'm controlling is a good guy, bad guy, antihero, or mind-controlled CIA asset, or.. anything.

Do I have to understand the story of this franchise to have fun with MG5, or can I enjoy it like a hitman game, where the story is just something to push the gameplay along?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

It pretty much is, yes. The Middle-Earth games and especially the Arkham Batman games share a lot of DNA with each other. It's personally one of my favourite games of its generation, I spent a lot of time loving with orcs and figuring out better ways to gently caress with orcs.

I don't know why, but it really bothers me that the main character is a fairly stout guy, when with that movement he should be like a tall guy with a swimmer's body or a female rogue-type.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

UltraShame posted:

I picked up Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes and MG5 for like 4 bucks from fanatical, having never played a Metal Gear game and knowing nothing about them.

Played Ground Zeroes. Once I got into the actual gameplay part, it was pretty fun. Kinda Hitman-y stealth action with more action and sans disguises. I realized I had no idea what the story for the games was (despite the intro cutscene), so I went and checked the "backstory" part of the menu.

:wtc: it threw essentially decades of various types of snakes, bosses, bigger bosses, and several near-identically named nuclear weapons platforms at me. Also acronym salad. I have no idea if the guy I'm controlling is a good guy, bad guy, antihero, or mind-controlled CIA asset, or.. anything.

Do I have to understand the story of this franchise to have fun with MG5, or can I enjoy it like a hitman game, where the story is just something to push the gameplay along?

I think MGSV is probably the best game in the series for playing while ignoring the story. The fun is all in exploring the open world and loving with guards.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

UltraShame posted:

I wish I could've seen your facial expression during all that, it must have been hilarious. Just a completely befuddled "who are all these people!?"

Honestly, I'm not sure. MGS5 has great gameplay, but it also relies on you being a fan of the series to keep you interested in it. Or maybe it'll be better for you because you're not a fan of the series and MGS5 is pretty different from the previous titles. It's kind of a crapshoot. I guess worst-case you can just ignore the story and go through it as a generalized stealth-third person shooter. It works well enough even if you completely ignore the plot, such as it is.

Mescal posted:

I don't know why, but it really bothers me that the main character is a fairly stout guy, when with that movement he should be like a tall guy with a swimmer's body or a female rogue-type.
The game does make him feel weirdly small. With his proportions, Talion is always comes across as like five feet tall in my mind.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

UltraShame posted:

In a lot of ways MGSV is the perfect game to start on-it contains tons of callbacks/resolutions to stuff from prior games, but will almost never rely on it.

The TL;DR is that Big Boss (your guy) started off as a black ops military dude with good intentions, but eventually turned into a monster. (He's the protagonist of some games and the antagonist of others.) Ostensibly MGSV covers the period of time that transformed him into an antagonist, but don't expect much on that front. Mainly think "Greatest soldier in the world, wants to buy peace through war, goofiest motherfucker in the world."

Also, it pays to remember that the metal gear universe is goofy as hell, and you are encouraged to try dumb bullshit. Especially with the cardboard boxes, it's nuts how many obscure, optional mechanics they built in.

Also-also, remember that thing Miller taught you to do in the tutorial, where you click the left stick and he comes on the radio and tells you about what you're looking at? Try that on everything.

No, I mean everything. Would you like to hear long, extensive lectures about local flora and fauna in Afghanistan? Well you can!

Also x3, listen to the loving cassette tapes you get after each mission. They're largely intended to give you background noise while grinding missions and exploring, and you would not believe how much of the plot happens offscreen on those tapes.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more also: I realize this is stupid as hell, but there's something really, really important to keep in mind- your guy is Big Boss, and all of his soldiers call him "Boss." But he is not "The Boss." Whenever someone specifically mentions The Boss they are referring to a completely different person- she's the woman who trained Big Boss, and the inventor of special forces. I'm fairly sure people talk about the two characters in the same sentence, so get hype for moderate levels of nomenclatural confusion.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 26, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sadly, much of that goofy poo poo is not in MGS5 in particular, which is why I just never really liked the game all that much.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Serephina posted:

It's been a very very long time since I played the original (Shadow of Mordor), and I wonder if the first game holds up better in terms of pacing? I know they both suffer from downward difficulty slopes etc.

I've played the games out of order and it made Shadow of Mordor a bit of a walk in the park. Pleasant, but far from exciting. You can't dominate orcs in the first region initially in both games. That works better in Shadow of War when it still has a multitude regions to play around, whereas Shadow of War has two and you are pretty much done with the first region when you start recruiting.

Shadow of War goes on for way too long (although the patched final chapter is way shorter), but Shadow of Mordor feels like it stops too early, even when going for a 100% run.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 26, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mescal posted:

he is also a ghost elf

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A very chunky ghost elf.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Cardiovorax posted:

I wish I could've seen your facial expression during all that, it must have been hilarious. Just a completely befuddled "who are all these people!?"

Furrowed brow, attempting to work out "some snakes are bosses, but most bosses are snakes? unless they are bigger bosses.." but i keep being called just "boss"?

Then, the weapons that keep being dunked into bodies of water, including by maybe a boss - who is not a snake - but was ressurected as an AI designed to deliver nuclear weapons and also to sass one of the snakes? :confused: There is a bewildering amount of snakes.

Omi no Kami posted:

goofiest motherfucker in the world.

Also, it pays to remember that the metal gear universe is goofy as hell, and you are encouraged to try dumb bullshit. Especially with the cardboard boxes, it's nuts how many obscure, optional mechanics they built in.

That's 47-ish enough for me, sold, will play through as a jerkass.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. If the point of it is to be so bonkers over the top stupid, I'm okay with it. I just wanted to know if I'd be lost actually playing the game not knowing the story, because there's apparently a jillion named characters with personalities.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

UltraShame posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLiLRVeaZA

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, I mean, when you put it that way, the whole thing sounds really silly, but

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

UltraShame posted:

Furrowed brow, attempting to work out "some snakes are bosses, but most bosses are snakes? unless they are bigger bosses.." but i keep being called just "boss"?

Then, the weapons that keep being dunked into bodies of water, including by maybe a boss - who is not a snake - but was ressurected as an AI designed to deliver nuclear weapons and also to sass one of the snakes? :confused: There is a bewildering amount of snakes.
You should play Metal Gear Solid 1 sometime. That game has snakes for days. "Sneks dohn't belohng in Ahlaskah!"

As well as many other funny animals.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

MonkeyforaHead posted:

e: vv yeah that's the one.

It seems like every demo gets a front-pageish highlight in one festival, and then no more after that, even though most of them put their demos back up. I've seen about zero crossover between each of the three festivals and I even had a bunch of demos from the first festival still installed that became available in the latest one, but weren't listed anywhere on the fest pages. It helps make way for new games I guess but at least some visibility would be nice. I don't know what the best way to approach that would be.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1365191991072600066

This looks cool!

Arleneth
Apr 28, 2010
Well, well, well.

Looks like The Sinking City finally managed to drag itself into the Steam store.

Is it worth $16?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, it does, you aren't kidding.

And now there's a name I haven't seen in a while. Guess Dominic stopped posting in these parts for a few years now -- I do miss when he would bring up something new in the indie/mod world.

I'm old, and following people on Twitter isn't my thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I miss his rabid defenses of the trashiest garbage. Kind of unironically, honestly.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Dominic still has god tier taste in games, this is backed up by the fact that I also like trash. I roll in it, I breath it in. It is good.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sinking City is available on steam now. I'm assuming Frogwares managed to resolve their issues with their publisher.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Orv posted:

I miss his rabid defenses of the trashiest garbage. Kind of unironically, honestly.
This except when it was the Brutal Doom nazi he was defending

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh poo poo, that looks nice. Maybe it's time I played the Darkmod.

Also holy poo poo, Mechwarrior Living Legends is running again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Threep posted:

This except when it was the Brutal Doom nazi he was defending

Ah poo poo I missed that one, nevermind.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Also holy poo poo, Mechwarrior Living Legends is running again?

For two or three years now? Keep in mind both the community and the dev team were, last I'd heard, rear end deep in nazis.