Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Orv posted:

I'm sure someone somewhere likes Clear Sky meaningfully but it ain't me.

My defining memory of Clear Sky, from when I played it as a teenager, was sneaking to a bandit outpost, accidentally getting discovered and then getting blown sky-high by like 12 grenades that every single bandit in the outpost immediately threw at my feet with pinpoint accuracy, with no regards to such trifling things like line of sight, range or location. Safe to say, I didn't get far in the game. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have a mod patch on that I assume lowered the grenade spam, but I also haven't stopped sprinting

I'm basically playing Doom

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Perestroika posted:

Fighting a ravager near the beginning of the game takes as long as fighting it twenty hours in, since the raw power of your weaponry doesn't seem to increase very much.

It never gets to the point where you can just drop an enemy with a single center of mass shot, but your gear improves quite a lot over the course of the game. If you're at least willing to lob a couple of freeze bombs at an enemy first, then your late-game shots can hit for 4 digits of damage, vs the 2 digits you're dealing at the start of the game.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Zero VGS posted:

Was I imagining things or was the Steam Deck announcement supposed to have some kind of SteamOS update?

Because I downloaded SteamOS off the site today and dragged the contents to a FAT32 drive and it won't even boot my laptop, when like 20 different Linux USBs all worked over the last week. The readme's are all from 2019.

That update hasn't been released yet and the old SteamOS hasn't rebased against upstream Debian either so you're getting an absolutely ancient system. No idea why they are still offering it, it is woefully out of date.

If you want an approximation, install Steam on your run of the mill Ubuntu or what have you. Proton isn't what they are promising for the Deck, but it's close to what will ship.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yeah as far as I know steamos didn't really do anything special other than "it's a linux distro with our branding on it" and possible "we tweaked the main important menus to be navigable with a controller"

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Det_no posted:

That Highfleet game is out. I had no idea it was made by the guy that made the extremely good Hammerfight. I need to save money.

Not only that, but it is kind of a prequel to Hammerfight too. I am very tempted to get Highfleet but since I am busy and the 10% off lasts a week, I'll be waiting on people's impressions and reviews before taking the bite.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lt. Lizard posted:

My defining memory of Clear Sky, from when I played it as a teenager, was sneaking to a bandit outpost, accidentally getting discovered and then getting blown sky-high by like 12 grenades that every single bandit in the outpost immediately threw at my feet with pinpoint accuracy, with no regards to such trifling things like line of sight, range or location. Safe to say, I didn't get far in the game. :allears:
This was from SoC, but every gun was poo poo until after finding a good one past the army checkpoint, so I did every kill with a knife. Lured a patrol by accident to the tutorial camp, cleared them out, the army base after that, then the checkpoint. It was strange seeing the AI walk in a line to an explosion that I used to decoy and then stabbed every back. Each time, they didn't turn around.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I played Clear Sky once with a merge that had the SRP bug fixes mod merged with a weapon pack that also fixed gunplay. But I also ignored all of the faction wars and just ran the plot straight through.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

ZearothK posted:

Not only that, but it is kind of a prequel to Hammerfight too. I am very tempted to get Highfleet but since I am busy and the 10% off lasts a week, I'll be waiting on people's impressions and reviews before taking the bite.

Prequel? Did they go from sophisticated flying tanks with nuclear armaments to swinging big rocks off wooden helicopters?

Uh oh.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

v1ld posted:

I played Clear Sky once with a merge that had the SRP bug fixes mod merged with a weapon pack that also fixed gunplay. But I also ignored all of the faction wars and just ran the plot straight through.

The faction wars seem like a nice idea but more as a background thing than something to get involved with

Except for the mandatory one I guess lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is HighFleet like a side scrolling space combat with customizable ships kind of thing? The game sure looks striking but it's kind of unclear as to what the game part of it actually is.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

from what i can tell it's like cortex command if you played as the dropships and shot at each other

does anyone remember cortex command

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

from what i can tell it's like cortex command if you played as the dropships and shot at each other

I remember installing a halo mod for it, playing it for an hour, then calling it a day

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

explosivo posted:

Is HighFleet like a side scrolling space combat with customizable ships kind of thing? The game sure looks striking but it's kind of unclear as to what the game part of it actually is.

Tactical Lunar Lander FTL with fleet management and diplomacy

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Unfortunately

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hub Cat posted:

fuuuuuck now there is a combination of words.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Mario Starsector

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dark Souls of Factorio

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowcaster posted:

I remember installing it, playing around with the controls briefly, thinking it was pretty cool with a lot of options, ahd then instantly dumping it when I realized it was a 1v1 game with local-only multiplayer???

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Saoshyant posted:

Dark Souls of Factorio

that's just the Pyanodon mod

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I remember installing it, playing around with the controls briefly, thinking it was pretty cool with a lot of options, ahd then instantly dumping it when I realized it was a 1v1 game with local-only multiplayer???

on the other hand i shudder to think about what kind of absolute eldritch nightmare a 2008 pixel physics game made by one dude could possibly have in turns of netcode

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hub Cat posted:

That's the thread title for it, alright.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Orv posted:

Mario Starsector

I think Tetris Starsector would be more accurate

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

I think Tetris Starsector would be more accurate

Hmm, blocks don't go back up though

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Judging by the streamers neither do the ships:shobon:

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 27, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hahaha, fair

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The funniest thing to me about Cortex Command was how god drat difficult it was just to have your soldiers walk across open terrain. Controlling them was nearly impossible, which felt like it was partly by design, but mostly just broke as gently caress.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Cowcaster posted:

Isn't there some goon around here who still has a "brain in a jar hanging from a bunker ceiling" avatar

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Highfleet seems to be a few games in one:

-2D lumbering airship combat simulator
-fleet management sim
-visual novel
-awkward lunar lander minigame
-airship design simulator

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sininu posted:

Anyone with opinions about Aviary Attorney? https://store.steampowered.com/app/384630/Aviary_Attorney
It gets discounts extremely rarely nowadays and I'm thinking of grabbing it from current sale.
I liked it enough to LP it. Very good writing, probably about 10 hours worth of content is you pursue all three endings.

It's slightly better if you're familiar with the time and place, and would have been greatly improved with a proper saved system.

Also, if you're expecting an Ace Attorney level of proficiency in creating dramatic scenes with limited animation, you'll be disappointed. I mean, you do get dramatic scenes, but they're always a bit stilted.

RBA Starblade posted:

Clear Sky: blitzing through swamps 360 noscoping bandits with hunting shotguns to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjBvwFXoehg
Oh hey. This might interest you:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1344004664

Also, this mod apparently fixes friendly AI so that your allies get on the loving control point.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Fun fact - they don't actually throw the grenade. It teleports directly to your location.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 28, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is a hot take I can get behind. I thought I was the only one who felt HZD was just another in a long line of identical open world games but this time with dinosaurs :kiddo: My over-reliance on Tear Arrows probably ruined the combat for me, but there was nothing else fun about the game since the story/setting/characters didn't jive with me so I don't really want to go back and try it with a different combat style.

e: Bow & Arrow is a dweeb's weapon and every game about an archer sucks :colbert:

Haha it's the coolest weapon humans ever bothered inventing. Everything lovely about a shooting game becomes suddenly better when you have a bow instead. Maybe just because a bow makes more sense and is less like just pointing & clicking on 3d models to shoot them. You have to draw, consider arc, projectile travel time, etc.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Khanstant posted:

Haha it's the coolest weapon humans ever bothered inventing. Everything lovely about a shooting game becomes suddenly better when you have a bow instead. Maybe just because a bow makes more sense and is less like just pointing & clicking on 3d models to shoot them. You have to draw, consider arc, projectile travel time, etc.

This is why guns are more fun than missiles on planes, and long range sniper rifles are more fun than close range. There's an added sense of challenge and satisfaction from the act of using the weapon itself.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Anonymous Robot posted:

The funniest thing to me about Cortex Command was how god drat difficult it was just to have your soldiers walk across open terrain. Controlling them was nearly impossible, which felt like it was partly by design, but mostly just broke as gently caress.

It was like someone wanted to make a game about unrealized potential.

The dev melted down so many times too; that little broken pixel game yielded over a decade of drama.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I adore the fact that the Highfleet manual has like 5 empty pages for you to write down notes even when it's digital-only and there are no plans for physical copies so far.
So nostalgic.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Det_no posted:

I adore the fact that the Highfleet manual has like 5 empty pages for you to write down notes even when it's digital-only and there are no plans for physical copies so far.
So nostalgic.

what kind of a gamer are you if you didn't immediately print it out and staple it together

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Was looking at deathloop on GMG as it's $47, and saw this:

quote:

Please note: This is a Bethesda DRM Key. RUCIS, China, Argentina, Brazil, Peru, Uruguay and Turkey customers will receive a Steam key.

and the game's steam page says this:

quote:

Requires 3rd-Party Account: Bethesda.net (Supports Linking to Steam Account)

I thought I heard the bethesda launcher was gone but guess not. how much of a pain is it?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I might be misremembering, but I think the one that launches from Steam is just a thin client, similar to the way EA does things. But it sounds like the key uses the full thing, which is just a kinda crappy, generic launcher, kinda like Battle.net or Uplay.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Hub Cat posted:

what kind of a gamer are you if you didn't immediately print it out and staple it together

A modern one :c00lbutt:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm getting annoyed with OMD3 sooner than I did with the last one :(

The levels where you have to fight two fronts at the same time just frustrate the poo poo out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Is Shortest Trip to Earth any good? It's half off at the moment. I don't mind if it's a bit fussy so long as it's possible to have fun with it.