Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mordja posted:

I'm still just a few hours into Death's Door and it is fantastic, but for one major, dealbreaking issue. Your crow looks more like a magpie than a crow.

:eng101: Actually:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooded_crow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This is the kind of bird based debate I can get behind

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nordick posted:

So some ex Arkane people are making a weird west game, inventively called Weird West.

https://www.ign.com/articles/weird-west-first-look-preview-ex-dishonored-prey-devs-latest-is-a-delightfully-odd-western

It's apparently an im-sim disguising as a top-down ARPG and I am extremely wishlisting it.

It looks good but help me, an uncultured moron with what an "im-sim" is? I couldn't glean anything off of :google:.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Protocol7 posted:

It looks good but help me, an uncultured moron with what an "im-sim" is? I couldn't glean anything off of :google:.

Immersive sim, which is possibly the least helpful genre name in a field of unhelpful names. It's Deus Ex likes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

victrix posted:

This is the kind of bird based debate I can get behind

:coolbird:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Unreal_One posted:

Immersive sim, which is possibly the least helpful genre name in a field of unhelpful names. It's Deus Ex likes.

System Shock 2 likes :colbert:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Nordick posted:

System Shock 2 likes :colbert:

Okay, Ultima-likes if we're going with that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A Duesvania, if you would.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

death’s door shamelessly pandering to the Cool Bird Fans market, of which I am a part

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
All of those comparisons sound Very Good so I'm definitely wishlisting Weird West too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Unreal_One posted:

Okay, Ultima-likes if we're going with that.

Build a staircase out of environmental objects and hop in a chimney to go to a debug room should be as much a part of things as 0451 :colbert:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Are there any other immersive sims besides Ultima Underworld where you can go down a toilet to enter the floor below

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Weird West does sound exceptionally rad but to be honest the cell-shading-ish visuals and a lot of 3-D space make me kind of queasy watching the video. Like the art makes everything look flat and it's hard to tell where you could go up and down, if that makes sense. Hopefully it looks a little better if it's bigger and you're actually controlling it.

.random
May 7, 2007

Thanks to this thread, I discovered that the common magpie’s classification is Pica pica :japan:, and they are not of the genus Corvus. E Corvidae unum.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

whatever happened to "single solution multiple approach"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

whatever happened to "single solution multiple approach"
gotta find a way to cram those words together. singsolmulapp

subjective objective

router (root-er) shooter

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Someone said bird

I'm tempted by roguelikes. I have Cogmind and Approaching Infinity on my list. Hm.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
It should have been called SteamDœck.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Back 4 blood beta soon! I grabbed a key for the first beta period on aug 5th off of Intels gaming website. Open beta is right after that though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Back 4 blood beta soon! I grabbed a key for the first beta period on aug 5th off of Intels gaming website. Open beta is right after that though.

Can't wait for this game goddrat.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

explosivo posted:

Can't wait for this game goddrat.

Same. Hi, it's me, a goon who's still playing all these drat zombie games after all these years.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

It looks pretty great. I hope theres custom maps support like l4d. Helms Deep? TRAPS map? Hell yes

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Protocol7 posted:

Same. Hi, it's me, a goon who's still playing all these drat zombie games after all these years.

There was a long time when I thought I was so done with zombie games, but I played several maps of Contagion with a buddy just last week. Last time we played the game was in 2013. I'm also looking forward to the upcoming big update for World War Z.

So uh, yeah.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

For me it's less about the zombies and more that it's another vehicle for a (yes, yet another) potentially great co-op game to play with my friends. I'm cool w/ it being more zombies if the game itself is fun to play.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mordja posted:

I'm still just a few hours into Death's Door and it is fantastic, but for one major, dealbreaking issue. Your crow looks more like a magpie than a crow.

Magpie basically are crows. They're just two different words for very similar birds both in the corvidae family, close enough.

Besides I think little homie looks more like a Raven.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

explosivo posted:

For me it's less about the zombies and more that it's another vehicle for a (yes, yet another) potentially great co-op game to play with my friends. I'm cool w/ it being more zombies if the game itself is fun to play.

Well I mean yeah it's not that I'm into zombies specifically, it's just that I really like this sort of co-op shooter gameplay and a lot of those games tend to be zombie games, so... :shrug: But I mean, for a while I was like "oh god can it please be something other than zombies for once"* but now I'm back to "Eh, whatever, zombies work".

*: It's probably a factor in why I got so enamored with Generation Zero. Their first trailer was a little bit of a fakeout, looking like it was gonna be another zombie apocalypse thing (the "Zero" in the title helped), but then, suddenly, robots.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I just like a lot of stuff like State of Decay 2 where there's a bit of a survival element, and that also coincidentally is a great co-op game so maybe that's secretly also what I like about zombie games. :thunk:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Play posted:

Besides I think little homie looks more like a Raven.
:same:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man, even with mods the faction war stuff in Clear Sky is just totally non-functional huh? I've cleared out this bandit base three times, because the stalkers keep losing at the entrance to the level because turns out the three of them can't hold off the twenty reinforcements they get every time I turn around. I've killed hundreds of men now. I've finally run out of ammo and my armor is busted. No one's coming.

I think I spent more in ammo than the rewards for this would have been

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I played Clear Sky recently and while I didn’t remember the faction wars stuff being as broken the first time I played it I also don’t remember finishing the game that first time either.

In any case I don’t think I even got as far as attacking a faction base in that recent time because of 100% of the time a friendly force would just get stuck somewhere and the minor capture point would be forever unoccupied.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kibayasu posted:

I played Clear Sky recently and while I didn’t remember the faction wars stuff being as broken the first time I played it I also don’t remember finishing the game that first time either.

In any case I don’t think I even got as far as attacking a faction base in that recent time because of 100% of the time a friendly force would just get stuck somewhere and the minor capture point would be forever unoccupied.

The annoying thing is I hold all the points; but if I leave, 20 more bandits will spawn, with 4 more squads of 5-20 to go to each of them and kill the 1-3 there

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

RBA Starblade posted:

Man, even with mods the faction war stuff in Clear Sky is just totally non-functional huh? I've cleared out this bandit base three times, because the stalkers keep losing at the entrance to the level because turns out the three of them can't hold off the twenty reinforcements they get every time I turn around. I've killed hundreds of men now. I've finally run out of ammo and my armor is busted. No one's coming.

Huh. Did you try the mod I've linked?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Faction War is the best mod for Clear Sky and it focuses on the faction war part of the game. Does a bunch of cool stuff including a very cool hack to get CoP's weapon in either slot function into Clear Sky. It's just a very well done mod all around, if you're interested in going deeper into the faction war part of Clear Sky. I didn't get very far into it, but what I did play was very well done.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xander77 posted:

Huh. Did you try the mod I've linked?

SRP? Yeah

I "fixed" it by turning on god mode and genociding all of Garbage. One stalker eventually made it :negative:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Clear Sky's definitely the black sheep of the Stalker games, arguably not worth playing at all outside of completionism. I've never once felt the need to revisit it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Boy Horizon Zero Dawn really loving whiffs on the teaching you how to use the combat system effectively. 20 hours in I can finally afford a purple caster and suddenly freeze bombs make 1/2 the mini-bosses a complete loving joke. Shock bombs look cool but don't see the point since all it does is a bit of damage and stuns them for a few seconds. Explosion bombs the same, useful for small clusters I guess? To be honest I don't even know if its a bomb radius thing I've just been launching them directly at the big enemies. It's not really that fun to experiment because there's never a much weaker enemy to test it against. Everything will easily gently caress you up if you're just trying out the new gear.

There's a definite sense that the groundwork was laid for a very in depth, tactical game, but then kind of gently caress it up in weird ways like making stealth kills requiring you to take skill points in it for starters. The main quest had you buy a basic tripcaster for the point of learning how to use it, I see no reason why it couldn't have done the same with the other 6 weapons.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The two main uses I found for the explosive bombs were trivializing the boring human fights, and smashing up glinthawks once you've knocked them out of the air with fire arrows (there are probably three other glinthawks shooting poo poo at you so not needing to aim precisely is nice).

But yeah the skill tree is real bad, and stinks of "well open world games have skill trees so let's figure out what basic gameplay functionality we can turn off so you can turn it back on by spending points"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Triarii posted:

But yeah the skill tree is real bad, and stinks of "well open world games have skill trees so let's figure out what basic gameplay functionality we can turn off so you can turn it back on by spending points"
Games should seriously not have skill trees if they don't have a major plan in mind for them. Gating basic poo poo should only be done in Metroidvanias IMO.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Gating mechanics can be good if it's done to give the player the opportunity to learn the core mechanics first. There are other good uses for it as well. Unfortunately, modern AAA game design tends to just be more about fulfilling a checklist - open world, progression, collectibles, unlocks attached to them, etc - than actually creating the most fun experience possible. Thankfully, there are so many good games now there's just no reason to play the crap ones, but it's annoying to see so much effort wasted creating deliberate garbage (gently caress you, Ubisoft).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Gating mechanics can be good if it's done to give the player the opportunity to learn the core mechanics first. There are other good uses for it as well. Unfortunately, modern AAA game design tends to just be more about fulfilling a checklist - open world, progression, collectibles, unlocks attached to them, etc - than actually creating the most fun experience possible. Thankfully, there are so many good games now there's just no reason to play the crap ones, but it's annoying to see so much effort wasted creating deliberate garbage (gently caress you, Ubisoft).
Yeah, like I said gating works in stuff like Zeldas or Metroidvanias, or puzzle games. It doesn't make much sense in open world games where you can reach any objective from the beginning. I also maintain it made no sense to make you unlock essential stuff to combat in Metal Gear Rising like parrying. I can't fathom why they did it that way.