Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Yeah Virustotal is not too happy about that installer either

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/54deb2c3d839fd8227be977278ab0dcfaec3028eea8fbdbd57ff2408649895cb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Well I finally beat Prey. I wasn't interested in any of the magical Typhon powers so I beat the entire game only using Slow-Mo :shrug: the Shotgun and the Wrench did a lot of work for me.

I'm now hungry for more Prey / Dishonored / Deus Ex / BioShock-esque "FPS but also you're a Wizard, Harry" but drat what an un-explored genre. Like what else is there other than those 4 [from even a vaguely modern era]? Incidentally I don't feel like doing NG+ in Prey for some reason even though I skipped a huge swath of side quests.

I see you're not mentioning Dark Messiah. You should play Dark Messiah.

Also Arx Fatalis still totally holds up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Seems like it could be cool but good lord those controls are clunky as gently caress. Got my first few runes but I can't seem to draw them correctly to cast the first spell lol.

Also the game crashes if I try to run it at any res higher than 1080p, which is annoying because it shoves a bunch of my windows over to my secondary monitor... Which is just a TV that I leave off 99% of the time.

https://arx-libertatis.org/

You're welcome.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Literally what we were just talking about on the previous page, also the one giving people virus warnings.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Firefox tells me that download contains a virus :thunk:

e; Windows Defender also finds it suspect lol

e2; https://www.reddit.com/r/ArxFatalis/comments/u0kjpv/arx_libertatis_121_bugfix_release/ apparently I'm not alone

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
why not play Prey: Mooncrash?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

As I said to my cousin, I was lukewarm on the base game so "buy the $20 DLC" is a tough sell.

And while I did really enjoy Deathloop, roguelikes where you're replaying the same thing a bunch generally aren't my bag at all.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
oh uhh I got both games for like $5 during one of the last sales :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If you claimed Prey on EGS that includes Mooncrash

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Got another Rogue Legacy 2 question: Do enemies scale with your level, or do they only scale upon entering new game plus? I know that they do go up in NG+ (though I have not finished the game yet), but I cannot find for a fact fact that they do not scale with level. I ask because my last 5-6 runs felt super grindy and spongey and some were even with the Knight so I don't think it was just bad stats.

i'm on loop 5 and i haven't noticed any scaling beyond the level bump after a new loop. where are you in the run? pishon dry lake is deliberately crafted to be a meat grinder

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm giving Fallen Order a second chance and I just got to the part that made me drop it the first time. Who thought it was a good idea to have three squeeze through tunnels followed by, what feels like, a two minute elevator ride, followed by even more squeeze through tunnels WITHOUT a meditation spot after all that?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

lunar detritus posted:

I'm giving Fallen Order a second chance and I just got to the part that made me drop it the first time. Who thought it was a good idea to have three squeeze through tunnels followed by, what feels like, a two minute elevator ride, followed by even more squeeze through tunnels WITHOUT a meditation spot after all that?

I dunno, whose idea was it?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Oxxidation posted:

i'm on loop 5 and i haven't noticed any scaling beyond the level bump after a new loop. where are you in the run? pishon dry lake is deliberately crafted to be a meat grinder

Been running through Sygian Study trying to get runes / blueprints, but have not beaten the boss of the Plateau because I need Hero Complex to happen since I am a massive scrub.

Maybe it just feels longer since I can now clear three zones with relative ease, or maybe the Sanguine Gear has reduced my attack power compared to something else.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

repiv posted:

If you claimed Prey on EGS that includes Mooncrash

Free game = Unplayable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Been running through Sygian Study trying to get runes / blueprints, but have not beaten the boss of the Plateau because I need Hero Complex to happen since I am a massive scrub.

Maybe it just feels longer since I can now clear three zones with relative ease, or maybe the Sanguine Gear has reduced my attack power compared to something else.

sanguine weapons do have weaker attack power than other sets but that alone probably wouldn't make much difference

midway through the first run is probably too early to start getting inventive with builds, just keep juicing strength and HP and start taking advantage of runes if you haven't already

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kanfy posted:

It's a super well-known mod, and a lot of game mods get false positives. Isn't Arx Libertatis' source code public anyway?

According to reddit comments there's something in the exe that determines whether you're on a 32 bit or 64 bit system when you run it and then it launches the appropriate version of the game, and that's what is being flagged as a virus. This kind of stuff is pretty "common" in game mods, private server launchers for MMOs, etc. but in this day and age I'm not going to touch even a false positive especially when the alleged problem could be fixed by just having separate shortcuts or downloads for 32bit/64bit versions.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I wasn't really in the mood to find out just for a 20 year old game

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I bought Dark messiah on this thread's recommendation and it seems fuckin' sick but I can't do those controls, at all. I didn't find any controller mods (no, not controller profiles) and I haven't found controller mods for I don't think any game, ever. It's too bad they never revisited that. arkane's gamepad controls for later titles are great.

Are there any other games with something like DM's playful environmental insanity?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elderborn is directly based on dark messiah and it's good, although it's more of an effort to modernize its melee combat (kick included) than recreate all the environmental stuff

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Magnetic North posted:

Got another Rogue Legacy 2 question: Do enemies scale with your level, or do they only scale upon entering new game plus? I know that they do go up in NG+ (though I have not finished the game yet), but I cannot find for a fact fact that they do not scale with level. I ask because my last 5-6 runs felt super grindy and spongey and some were even with the Knight so I don't think it was just bad stats.

Enemies in different regions have different hp IIRC but they never actually scale up with your level. Though anecdotally it seems like the first few areas start to add more difficult variants to the enemy pool after you've progressed further. E.G. I never saw any purple-projectile shooting enemies in the basic castle area until after I had explored the Stygian Study.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Drop Sanguine armor in RL2, focus on leveling the runes for the str/int lifesteal in higher cycles.
Use drowned or warden armor (drowned is +str/20% str bonus at tier 3)
Warden is the crit set (+20% random crit chance at tier 3)

I personally prefer drowned. The str bonus is massive. Also buy the bonus that heals you 100% when you enter a boss door, lets you explore levels and you'll always be at peak power for a boss.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey Steam thread, wanna hear a joke?

Dragon Age 4.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Singularity slaps.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

Hey Steam thread, wanna hear a joke?

Dragon Age 4.

I wish Bioware could leave EA.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Elderborn is directly based on dark messiah and it's good, although it's more of an effort to modernize its melee combat (kick included) than recreate all the environmental stuff
It's also really, really short. Still a great game, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mescal posted:

I bought Dark messiah on this thread's recommendation and it seems fuckin' sick but I can't do those controls, at all.
What's wrong with them?

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1GLZILJc24

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 28, 2022

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Melee attacks in Dark Messiah have ridiculously long windup and it takes some practice to be able to fight competently. Once you get good you mostly stop noticing it, but the game definitely feels really janky before it feels smooth and satisfying.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it seems like the first few areas start to add more difficult variants to the enemy pool after you've progressed further. E.G. I never saw any purple-projectile shooting enemies in the basic castle area until after I had explored the Stygian Study.

Isn't this a selectable burden? I had the option to add new enemies to the castle for NG+2.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, uh, EA actually isn't the problem this time, shockingly enough.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fatty posted:

Isn't this a selectable burden? I had the option to add new enemies to the castle for NG+2.

It happens even in NG.
I'm sure the burden has a much bigger effect though

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dark Messiah is pure physics jank, but it's jank that almost always works in your favor, so it's cool.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Dark Messiah is pure physics jank, but it's jank that almost always works in your favor, so it's cool.
Pratfalls: the video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack Trades posted:

Deadspace 1&2, also

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I tried Sniper Elite 5 on gamepass, and I can't seem to make this thing not run like poo poo. I switched from 4K to 1920x1080, and kicked the rendering down to 50%, and I STILL had some hiccups when moving quickly through tall grasses. I'm running this on a RTX 2080. It can handle VR at 120Hz, but THIS game pounds its dick into the dirt? Jesus Christ.

Also having graphics issues, but mine are causing hi res textures to not show up anywhere. And the cross hair is missing from the scope. It's probably related to my card not supporting DX12 but the Vulkan exe gets to the title splash, eats all my RAM, then crashes. Vulkan would definitely work with my card, so it sucks. I wasn't able to find any conversations about either issue anywhere so I might have to come back to it in a few years when I don't need to take out a second mortgage to upgrade my GPU.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

BrianRx posted:

Also having graphics issues, but mine are causing hi res textures to not show up anywhere. And the cross hair is missing from the scope. It's probably related to my card not supporting DX12 but the Vulkan exe gets to the title splash, eats all my RAM, then crashes. Vulkan would definitely work with my card, so it sucks. I wasn't able to find any conversations about either issue anywhere so I might have to come back to it in a few years when I don't need to take out a second mortgage to upgrade my GPU.

I haven’t had issues with my 3080, but it does make my CPU run really hot. Is it maybe a CPU bottleneck?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
They're doing something really dumb in the programming of that game. Nothing in it looks to be new or impressive, which means some understudy made at least the first level.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Bioware is a shambling corpse at this point.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Bob Dylan of Videogames was entirely their idea, just like Babylon's Fall was entirely Platinum's

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Well I wasn't a pc gamer during that era, so I never developed the skill to use KB+M controls that suck. Bummer cause I was ready to love that game due to videos like that one.

Anybody know why per game controller settings aren't there for me in any game in Steam? The only thing that's accessible is the settings for like which kind of controllers are enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm so used to crapsack morally grey endings to games and movies that I guess I didn't know how to react to Hardspace's actual happy ending.