Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fruits of the sea posted:

"Arkham combat" has become a negative thing now which is interesting because it was really well regarded when it first came out. It's always weird to me how drastically perceptions of AAA games can change over time. Kind of like how folks are trying to rehabilitate Gears of War as anti-conflict narrative.

The first Gears is pretty clear in its themes, the second one doesn't give a poo poo at all and wants to be (and succeeds at, mostly) being a big dumb 80s action movie, and then it kind of just goes from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I only ever played Asylum, has Knight effectively supplanted City as the open world batman game?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Oxxidation posted:

Spider-Man’s combat revolves around air juggling way and shutting down enemies way more than Arkham, you’re expected to zip around of your own volition a lot more whereas Arkham’s protags can launch themselves all over the arena with the attack buttons alone

if you try to play it exactly like Arkham you’ll be taking hits constantly because spidey can’t really stagger enemies on the ground level that well, they either have to be webbed up (and launch web weapons at them near terrain takes them down instantly) or in midair

Yeah I really struggled in Spider Man when I first started it because I was playing it like the Arkham games just standing in the middle of a bunch of enemies trying to punch/counter/punch/counter and that's what Batman does but no, you're supposed to move around and keep mobile and once that clicked it was a lot more fun.

Spiderman's "Arkham Combat" has it's own flow different from the Arkham games you need to adjust to.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Mordja posted:

I only ever played Asylum, has Knight effectively supplanted City as the open world batman game?

I think a lot of it depends on how much you like the batmobile

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Spider-Man absolutely wears out its welcome by the time you're doing the DLC and realize that his biggest weakness for some reason is fat bald guys in vests and that they are everywhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
his archenemy is the Kingpin for a reason

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which is crazy because spiderman is canonically a mets fan

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Karma Tornado posted:

Spider-Man absolutely wears out its welcome by the time you're doing the DLC and realize that his biggest weakness for some reason is fat bald guys in vests and that they are everywhere.

my weakness is the same but i guess not in the same way

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Spider-Man runs pretty great with RT on high and DLSS on balanced but I get pretty massive slowdowns when webslinging around. Like it will go from 90 fps to 50 and back again. Need to tweak it a bit more. DRS doesn't fix it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The 7th Guest posted:

Circus Electrique, what looks like Darkest Dungeon meets the carnival, by the Pinball FX devs, releases Sep 6 as well

Sunday Gold, a game I'm personally looking forward to, combining point & click adventure with turn-based RPG combat, releases Sep 13th

Welp, two new items to add to my wishlist! Thanks for pointing these out, I'd have never heard of them otherwise!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kaddish posted:

Spider-Man runs pretty great with RT on high and DLSS on balanced but I get pretty massive slowdowns when webslinging around. Like it will go from 90 fps to 50 and back again. Need to tweak it a bit more. DRS doesn't fix it.

Yeah I was noticing the same thing. It helps to turn down the Ray tracing range but it still varies.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

explosivo posted:

Yeah I was noticing the same thing. It helps to turn down the Ray tracing range but it still varies.

I figured it out with RT still on high. Game looks great.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Trying to decide on what to get In a fanatical bundle, has anyone tried:
The Falconeer
Partisans 1941
Unrailed

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, you can probably beat all of the normal encounters in an Arkham game by mashing X and then pressing Y when there's a big Y prompt on the screen.
That's all.

I’m having flashbacks to Assassin’s Creed 2(?). When you attack an enemy the game plays a parry animation, but decreases their health, and the actual kill move happens only when you damage them enough.

I decided that normal attacks where ineffective and beat the entire game using only parries and counters :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fat Samurai posted:

I’m having flashbacks to Assassin’s Creed 2(?). When you attack an enemy the game plays a parry animation, but decreases their health, and the actual kill move happens only when you damage them enough.

I decided that normal attacks where ineffective and beat the entire game using only parries and counters :(

I hit the same thing when replaying AC2 earlier; the kill chain stuff doesn't start until rear end Bros lol

I couldn't figure out why it was taking so long :v:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There was a THQ Nordic showcase this afternoon. A few new games were announced, the most exciting to me being a remake of Alone in the Dark and a new RTS with some big C&C vibes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The RTS has been teased here and there for like two years so glad to finally see it. Wreckreation also looks like it could be dumb fun, it's by those ex-Burnout guys but this one looks like it might have something approaching a budget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e84CyMTSHdg

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Mordja posted:

Knight is good now but imo City is still better overall

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

fit em all up in there posted:

Trying to decide on what to get In a fanatical bundle, has anyone tried:
The Falconeer
Partisans 1941
Unrailed

partisans just made me wish i was playing shadow tactics and desperadoes 3 again. it's a similar isometric real time stealth combat game, but not as good.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I loved both Knight and City but I prefer to go back to Knight because zipping around and launching myself out of the batmobile is really fun. Can't really go wrong with either imo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fart of Presto posted:

Speaking of super hero games, I need some advice on the Batman Arkham series:

I absolutely love open world games, but dislike combo brawlers. I can just never remember the sequences of eg. Y+Y+X+RT+Left Down for light lower kick.

The original Batman: Arkham Asylum seemed OK except for the continuous chatter, where someone kept yapping in my ear while I was sneaking around in sewers or something.
Then the fighting where it was only combo brawler fight after combo brawler fight.
I gave up after a couple of hours.

I can stomach the Assassin's Creed level of brawling(tap button/hold button), and once in a while I remember that I can do rolls and parry, but anything more than that, and I'm out.

Do any of the later ones, Arkham City, Arkham Origins or Arkham Knight improve on that, or should I just give up on them?

Is Spiderman like the Batman games in gameplay or more like Assassin's Creed-style?

I am Very Bad at games and found Knight fine, fwiw

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I am somehow who cannot remember actual combos in games like DMC or Darksiders for the life of him, but the Arkham games aren't really like that. Outside of the basic combat moves there are only the gadget quick-combos to remember, and while some of the later games (Origins/Knight) arguably overdid it with those at times they're also not generally needed.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

my weakness is the same but i guess not in the same way

:monocle:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hell yes I loved Spiderman on ps4. time for some real fps and graphics while flying around

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I applaud The DioField Chronicles for releasing a demo of one of the worst PC ports I've played in quite some time. Dear god the UI is a mess. It's never a good sign when Chromatic Aberration, Motion Blur, and Depth of Field are on the same slider so you have a choice between headache inducing levels of blur and aberration so intense it looks like you're watching a 3d movie without the 3d glasses with some depth of field to cover how pixelated the lighting is, or your game looks like it's made of tiny lego bricks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The tutorial bored me so I unisntalled after it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Absolute unit

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best thing about spiderman is the swinging. It’s so so so so good.

I was maybe halfway through in the early days of the pandemic and stopped playing in the summer of 2020 though because the copaganda was too much for me in that moment. May go back to it, may not. The swinging was so good.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just looking on Steam and you can buy the entire Arkham series for £7.49 and even though you can get that cheaper elsewhere right now I still think its a bargain because of just how good those games are.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jordan7hm posted:

The best thing about spiderman is the swinging. It’s so so so so good.

I was maybe halfway through in the early days of the pandemic and stopped playing in the summer of 2020 though because the copaganda was too much for me in that moment. May go back to it, may not. The swinging was so good.

I bought a PS4 just for FF7R (If I knew it was gonna come out on PC a year later well, no PS4) Spiderman was the only other game I had a fantastic time with. Oh and God of War.

Just playing it now in 3440x1440/120 with RTX it's amazing just swinging around and webbing fuckers, which is what I loved about the game.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I appreciate that the Spider-Man game lets very online guys reveal how much they love the taste of boot.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

Just looking on Steam and you can buy the entire Arkham series for £7.49 and even though you can get that cheaper elsewhere right now I still think its a bargain because of just how good those games are.

Arkham City alone is worth it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

I applaud The DioField Chronicles for releasing a demo of one of the worst PC ports I've played in quite some time. Dear god the UI is a mess. It's never a good sign when Chromatic Aberration, Motion Blur, and Depth of Field are on the same slider so you have a choice between headache inducing levels of blur and aberration so intense it looks like you're watching a 3d movie without the 3d glasses with some depth of field to cover how pixelated the lighting is, or your game looks like it's made of tiny lego bricks.

I like how when you're back in town you can press Tab to open a menu and then if you hit ESC to close it the screen pauses black for a second but if you hit C to close it then it closes immediately/cleanly.

I really want to like the game but man I'm just too picky with games as software lol. Also it's super annoying that when you're in combat if you issue a command to a guy then want to issue a second command, you need to re-select them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Can someone help me remember a game? All I recall from the video I saw was a hallway, the character having a flashlight, and then lights and weird poo poo happening in it. It was a first person perspective game, I think it was wondering about a detective searching an abandoned house and there were aliens? I think there was a scene where they were looking upwards at a staircase in front of them and then bright lights started shining through the walls and windows while poo poo flew around.

The trailers/gameplay I'm thinking of were on YouTube, and it was someone in the last 8 years or so. Maybe 5?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Mordja posted:

The RTS has been teased here and there for like two years so glad to finally see it. Wreckreation also looks like it could be dumb fun, it's by those ex-Burnout guys but this one looks like it might have something approaching a budget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e84CyMTSHdg

Looks like someone is finally making a sequel to Stunts.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Spider-man video game is very very good and I'll probably pick it up at some point for PC

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
The "Why must Spiderman and Batman work with cops" mentality makes no sense to me

Both of them are presenting a *How it should be* scenario, where they are catching criminals to assist the cops also trying their best. Pretty sure both Batman and Spiderman have had comics about both going out of their way to catch corrupt cops and present them to the ones doing their job for the people.

The cops presented in their games are meant to be the type of cops we want, that we can trust, that is the whole point. About working in team in a functional for the better society.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

The Spider-man video game is very very good and I'll probably pick it up at some point for PC

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Thanks for all the comments re. Arkham games

I'll give the newer ones a go, because of cause I now realize I already own them and should just loving install them and try them out :gaben:

Also good to know I'm not alone here :okboomer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Does Arkham Asylum run well on PC? Seem to recall it being a pretty lovely port back in the day.