Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I recently got an Xbox one wireless controller and it’s fantastic for steam games, but pricey and hard to find at retail though. Got a Bluetooth usb dongle and have had no issues. I used the D pad to finally play through bloodstained and it works great with Hollow Knight too. I’m currently play through GTA V, flys a plane like a champ.

I used to have a 360 controller but I like the xbone better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I got an Xbone Elite Series 2 controller a few months ago and it was pricey but that thing is insanely good. Might be worth looking into when the prices aren’t jacked up nearly 2x. The sticks, triggers, and buttons all feel extremely excellent and the back paddles are super handy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For the 3 of us looking forward to Drox Operative 2, it looks like it predictably got postponed and now just says "soon" for the release date.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Make that four. Drox Operative is a weirdly engrossing game and I just recently played a campaign to like level fifty again. Here's hoping the delay won't be too long.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Interesting. So far I have found that most games with some controller support (presumably for Xbox controllers) work pretty well for the Dualshock, but the sensitivity is sometimes off and things like the gyroscope are mapped wrong. Glad Steam makes it work at all, though.

At one point I had an Xbox 360 controller, before it developed a case of exploded batteries. I think the main thing the DS4 has over an Xbox controller is the touchpad that you can use as a mouse, and while that would be terrific for a few games where you really need a cursor sometimes, it's not that useful in general.

A lot of games from the last 5 years or so actually support the DS4 out of the box and you can run into issues trying to run DS4windows or steam’s controller integration with them, so using it wired I don’t even need them that much these days, although idk if that applies to what you tried

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thinking some more about Thronebreaker, and I think I figured out why I like it even though it took me ages to get into Gwent; the starter deck isn't total trash. If you don't immediately start playing every single gwent match that Witcher 3 throws at you, you will quickly find yourself getting frustrated as you play against random inkeepers with like, full monster decks, while you don't even have a single spy or medic to your name. Frankly even if you do start playing early, it kind of sucks because I didn't really start enjoying Gwent until I started getting fully-featured decks; once you unlock a faction's real capabilities, you start to play around with some real interesting card synergies that simply aren't there with the lovely cards you start with.

Thronebreaker gives you a ton of fun toys to play with right out of the gate, while also making the game more mechanically complex and interesting, so you can start tooling around and seeing what works right away. So if your initial impression of Gwent was that you wanted to like it, but you hated it based off the first handful of matches you tried, give Thronebreaker a go, they did a much better job of it this time around.

I'm getting back into Thronebreaker and been having a decent time - the puzzles are pretty good. The starter deck is a combo based draw your blitz cards deck which seems pretty strong.

The Gwent F2P game on the other hand plays more like poker with card limits and you're holding your breath that they don't have an X point swing. This might actually be the best version of Gwent?

I'll try out Witcher 3 to see what old school Gwent was like. It's kind of nuts that CDPR created 2-3 different editions of 'Gwent' - must be a labor of love.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Dredmor run completed.

Decided to go with a straightforward wizard build relying mainly on psionics for damage (sweet sweet pyrokinesis) and decided to use astrology for the first and capstone skills, also throwed in Bankster in just for fun, never completed the entire tree and haven't played with it since insurance fraud was nerfed into oblivion. Bankster turned to be pretty useful, hedge fund is an incredibly potent defensive passive ability and money was never an issue, even thoug it would have been more useful in normal mode.

No time to Grind, Going Rogue, permadeth, no mods.

Build: Psionics, Bankster, Fleshsmithing, Astrology, Blood Magic, Leylines, Mathemagic.

The hard part of a build like this one is surviving the first four floors, if you do, sans extreme bad luck or being careless/impatient, you are probably going to win. I'm gonna be honest, I decided to pick this build because I wanted something that could complete the game as fast and possible and no crafting skills means I didn't need to bother with inventory management too much.

For some stupid reason the game started crashing often in floors 13 and 14, it was incredibly annoying and had to redo the same monster zoo three times. Decided to skip diggle hell and Vlad Diggula entirely, my main skill is fire damage and Diggula has a bazillion fire resistance and just didn't have enough holy damage to spare. Also skipped all pocket dimensions codes and mysterious portals, too much risked of getting stranded due to bugged maps.

Final stats before entering floor 15. Pretty decent magic power all things considered.

Encountered Lord Dick lurking next to the stairs. Look at that life, holy crap.

The fight itself is fairly simple, just keep teleporting away and throw poo poo at him until he dies. The most damaging attack in the game against Dredmor if you are a wizard is pearlescent wands, because he has crap holy resistances and the damage scales with magic power (extra damage to undead). Each cast did more than a hundred damage. Sadly, only had one wand. Sonic wands and holy hand grenades are also really useful.

Defensively speaking, I was fine, decent magic resist plus 50% damage reduction from Hedge Fund+a massive instant heal spell for 3 mana is pretty good.

gently caress you Lord Dredmor.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

exquisite tea posted:

For the 3 of us looking forward to Drox Operative 2, it looks like it predictably got postponed and now just says "soon" for the release date.

:negative:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Lobster posted:

Dredmor run completed.

Apparently I haven't played Dredmor since 2012. Might have to give it another go.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've been using my PS4 controller for steam and it works just fine; my only complaint is that most games use xbox button prompts by default and sometimes I forget which button is the X button.

I'm tempted to buy an xbone controller just so I don't have to deal with this (or with moving my ps4 controller back and forth between the console and PC since I only have the one), but it's kind of a lot of money to spend on a stupid problem, and do you really need to keep it charged with batteries even when you're connected to the PC via USB? The PS4 controller charges while plugged in, I just sort of assumed Xbone would work the same way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Two Rimworld questions:

- how long does it take to win the game on vanilla?
- is the Royalty expansion worth it?

I'm figuring that it will never go on sale and I have the 20% off at humble so I'm thinking about it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Two Rimworld questions:

I'm figuring that it will never go on sale and I have the 20% off at humble so I'm thinking about it.

It's not really a game you play to win. Besides, you're likely to rack up at least a good 60 hours before you get to the point where you're capable of reaching the "win" state. Royalty's apparently very good, but I'd recommend playing without it since there are already enough systems to get to grips with on your first few colonies.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've been using my PS4 controller for steam and it works just fine; my only complaint is that most games use xbox button prompts by default and sometimes I forget which button is the X button.

I'm tempted to buy an xbone controller just so I don't have to deal with this (or with moving my ps4 controller back and forth between the console and PC since I only have the one), but it's kind of a lot of money to spend on a stupid problem, and do you really need to keep it charged with batteries even when you're connected to the PC via USB? The PS4 controller charges while plugged in, I just sort of assumed Xbone would work the same way.

Ubisoft are hands down the publisher that does this the best, they've had native DualShock recognition in their games for some time now. The vast majority of games unfortunately still don't give you Sony-branded button prompts but it's slowly becoming more standard in newer games, like 2017 and onwards.

And no, you don't need to have batteries in an Xbox One controller when it is plugged in.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Technically speaking, you could probably do it ten hours or so, in terms of how long it takes to build up to the win condition.

Realistically speaking, you'd have to be playing the game for thirty or forty hours at least before you've got enough of a grip on the system and the game's idiosyncrasies to actually get there, though. Rimworld can be Dwarf Fortress level of "and then something bad randomly happened and everyone died" unforgiving.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Two Rimworld questions:

Playing RimWorld to “win” isn’t really the draw, imo. It’s much more fun as an open-ended survival/adventure/Sims sandbox.

Royalty is good, imo, but I don’t know that you should feel compelled to get it right away.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Ainsley McTree posted:

Make sure you try games with Steam's DualShock support disabled because a lot of them detect it natively and give you the correct button prompts. USB tends to work better than Bluetooth for that case (at least for me). If Steam's DualShock support is enabled, even for games that you aren't running through Steam, it'll create a fake Xbox controller for it and you'll get Xbox prompts.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I mean I've already put 69 hours into Rimworld. Should've said that sooner, sorry. So "winning" is anywhere from 10-60 hours, eh? I've never tried it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Focusing on winning Rimworld was a fun experience for me and you avoid having to work around/mod out the weird game pressure bullshit that even leaks into Randy events.

If you play to win from day one and don't get distracted 30-40 hours sounds about right to learn what you're doing and put it into effect to reach a win condition. The nature of the game means most people get distracted by personal projects and/or modding though so it's hard to gauge.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Angry Lobster posted:

Dredmor run completed.

God drat, I don’t see anyone topping that one. Add me on Steam and provided nobody does beat you by tomorrow, I’ll send you a 15 dollar game of your choice.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/needbetterlink

Gromit looks likely to take the crown for “best character backstory”, I’ll pester him on Steam tomorrow for the same thing provided he still wins.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Cartoon Man posted:

I recently got an Xbox one wireless controller and it’s fantastic for steam games, but pricey and hard to find at retail though. Got a Bluetooth usb dongle and have had no issues. I used the D pad to finally play through bloodstained and it works great with Hollow Knight too. I’m currently play through GTA V, flys a plane like a champ.

I used to have a 360 controller but I like the xbone better.

It helps that the Xbone controller has an actual functioning DPad.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

God drat, I don’t see anyone topping that one. Add me on Steam and provided nobody does beat you by tomorrow, I’ll send you a 15 dollar game of your choice.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/needbetterlink

Gromit looks likely to take the crown for “best character backstory”, I’ll pester him on Steam tomorrow for the same thing provided he still wins.

Thanks man, I appreciate it but honestly I don't really need another game right now. I decline in favour of the next highest score participant, if no one else claims it, you could donate it to the charity of your choice.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Any good co-op top-down shooters? I finished The Hex, and that scene where you land on an alien planet with synthwave blarring was my jam.

From a couple of days ago, but check out SYNTHETIK: Legion Rising. It's great. Guns feel awesome in it and the co op is apparently really good (only played solo). It's on sale at GOG right now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1266047078259720192

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not all that surprising considering the first i heard of amazon even attempting to make their own videogame studio was someone mentioning that this game was launching this week, earlier this week

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Battleborn is back baby

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
Nobody cares how many people are watching a game on Twitch.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Uplay has a free weekend for Far Cry 5. Time to become best friends with a bear and to get kidnapped by the bad guys over and over again, I guess.

A couple days ago it had thousands of viewers, because they paid a streamer with a decent audience for an #ad.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 28, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tax Oddity posted:

it's a pretty solid metric for determining the public interest in a game these days, actually

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Tax Oddity posted:

I mean, that's just objectively untrue if you live in the year 2020.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tax Oddity posted:

It made me laugh a little and I wanted to share that with the good people in this thread

e: here's some good game news instead that you should care about :

https://twitter.com/radcodex/status/1266019432142442497

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

that Amazon game has currently 6% above "Mostly Negative" (45%) with almost 10.000 reviews... it's F2P and nowhere in the charts.

lol.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

Uplay has a free weekend for Far Cry 5. Time to become best friends with a bear and to get kidnapped by the bad guys over and over again, I guess.

For all of FC5's many faults, I did find it to be fundamentally a really fun game to play (outside of the "you're being kidnapped!" sections anyway); the shooting mechanics are silky smooth and the environments are gorgeous. It's just everything else about it that's a bit of a let down. Very much worth playing for free, I'd even recommend buying it on a deep discount so long as you go in with the right expectations, which it sounds like you have

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Oldstench posted:

From a couple of days ago, but check out SYNTHETIK: Legion Rising. It's great. Guns feel awesome in it and the co op is apparently really good (only played solo). It's on sale at GOG right now.

Co-op is fantastic right up until one of you gets a Nemesis with ricochet rounds.

Then it becomes glorious.

Seriously though, SYNTHETIK is fantastic and more people should play it.

(Just don't try and play it like a twin stick, moving wrecks your accuracy, you gotta learn to stand still to line up your shots).

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Tax Oddity posted:

:goonsay:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Far Cry: I beat New Dawn and liked it well enough, but was really disappointed by the need to re-do outposts and expeditions to grind supplies. I guess it's related to the map being tiny - just give me vast swathes of land I can gradually paint with my faction's color, goddamnit.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’ve echoed others praise for FC5 before but this time I want to mention it has multiplayer. , you can team up with a bud in the open world, which is a lot of fun, though I can’t recall if you can actually do campaign missions together. however I found the PvP modes less fun and I was disappointed to not find anything creative or unique made by anyone in the create a mission mode.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Dark Messiah remake that adds a dropkick and roundhouse kick

Dark Messiah of Fear

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

I’ve echoed others praise for FC5 before but this time I want to mention it has multiplayer. , you can team up with a bud in the open world, which is a lot of fun, though I can’t recall if you can actually do campaign missions together. however I found the PvP modes less fun and I was disappointed to not find anything creative or unique made by anyone in the create a mission mode.
Never tried it, because gently caress playing Far Cry 5 ever again, but according to its Ubisoft website, the campaign is fully co-op, so you ought to be able to do that.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I played alot of roguelites, and finished very few of them.

Synthetik: Legion Rising is one of the best, and it has a co-op function. The gunplay is meaty, the music is loving awesome. Play it please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

StrixNebulosa posted:

It made me laugh a little and I wanted to share that with the good people in this thread
Wild that you brought back Dominic White to these forums.