Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So I discovered Team Fortress 2 Classic. Do you yearn for Team Fortress 2 before it started to suck? Then this is for you. I played it for a few hours and it is everything I wanted it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I just had one of those weird moments where a game is everywhere I look. I had been thinking about buying BloodBowl 2 ever since that bundle a few weeks back but today I got recommended videos about it, read news about a new tabletop thing coming out, it was even on sale and the isthereanydeal page for it had a live stream of Beagle (from shacktac/X-com fame) playing the game too.

So... here's a 5% coupon I got off fanatic with my purchase: F_D18W3d7Vb2tz3bpo

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So I discovered Team Fortress 2 Classic. Do you yearn for Team Fortress 2 before it started to suck? Then this is for you. I played it for a few hours and it is everything I wanted it to be.

Are there a decent amount of people playing this? I'm definitely interested in this if so..

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

explosivo posted:

Are there a decent amount of people playing this? I'm definitely interested in this if so..

I observed 2-3 full-ish servers doing the regular maps all throughout the day today. It seems to have just been released on July 4th

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I observed 2-3 full-ish servers doing the regular maps all throughout the day today. It seems to have just been released on July 4th

This owns, thanks for the heads up.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The only online shooter I ever really liked playing was Unreal Tournament 2004. I hate playing anything with voice chat because I don't want to be called the N word non stop by children, but it also means I am pretty worthless in team-based things since I can't communicate vocally with others (I don't mind typing and I'm fast enough). I've heard some people say that Team Fortress was unlike anything else and I might actually like it, but I'm not sure why. Can you tell me why this is a good game? Or at least why I would enjoy it when I hate Counter-Strike, Fortnite, etc.?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I used to really like playing Payload maps, the objective is one team tries to push a big bomb in a minecart into the other team's base in some limited time, so there's less focus on getting sick kill streaks and more focus on setting up defensible positions and sieging said positions. And since the objective moves from one side of the map to the other it changes the primary conflict location

TF2 also has a pretty goofy aesthetic which scares off many of the tryhards and edgy kids who want to use real guns.

It's not a for sure thing that you'll like it, but I could never get into Counterstrike yet sank a bunch of time into TF2 back in the day

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

credburn posted:

The only online shooter I ever really liked playing was Unreal Tournament 2004. I hate playing anything with voice chat because I don't want to be called the N word non stop by children, but it also means I am pretty worthless in team-based things since I can't communicate vocally with others (I don't mind typing and I'm fast enough). I've heard some people say that Team Fortress was unlike anything else and I might actually like it, but I'm not sure why. Can you tell me why this is a good game? Or at least why I would enjoy it when I hate Counter-Strike, Fortnite, etc.?

Oh man that's a tough question. I'm not sure how much of my enjoyment is nostalgia. I just really like the different classes and the way everything is balanced. It feels like a massive amount of thought was put into balance. This game was actually developed by Valve as well, so it just has that extra layer of polish that they always bring to the table. Things like the way the maps are designed to flow in a certain way, or how each character has a unique silhouette that is intended to be recognizable from a distance, you just got this feeling that they put a lot of thought into how it played, something that games are missing sometimes. I expect their secret is a massive amount of playtesting. However at some point they seemed to stop caring about balance, almost like they handed it off to a different team. The whole game went off the rails and every class had a million different crazy items and weapons to use and I just couldn't keep track of it anymore. It no longer felt balanced, it became gimmicky.

The only game that I can compare it to is Overwatch, but just.... tighter. Smaller scale but still with a high skill ceiling. Hopefully someone else can chime in with a better answer to your question because I feel like I botched this.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 9, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The whole game went off the rails and every class had a million different crazy items and weapons to use and I just couldn't keep track of it anymore. It no longer felt balanced, it became gimmicky.
this is correct, i pretty much bounced at around the time hats made a real appearance because it was also a ton of zany whacky banana bomb drums and refrigerator rockets that just really felt like it derailed it. probably peak was early payload update but before it started adding a ton of items. i do think it needed some work at launch because how easy it was to stalemate and pretty much most maps just ended up stalemated in pubs which got very repetitive, but i think that could have been accomplishe differently. hydro was criminally underrated

that said to answer the the guys question, would tf2 classic be a good game in tyool 2020 if you've never played it? maybe, depends on what you want. imo the action multiplayer fps scene is kind of loving dire right now so maybe: battlefields are basically dead and DICE is checked out (bf5 was supposed to be a "5 year Games as a Service gassy" project that EA killed in a little over a year because it flopped player-wise) ontop of having no anti-cheat whatsoever so poo poo degraded even faster than normal, there's a host of counter-strike or ArmA ~real milsim~ type games (hell let loose, squad, post scriptum, arma, etc) that don't really appeal to me, and some 6v6 or battle royale games that ain't exactly my cup of tea, and i guess CoD which is well...

out of all your options, TF2 is going to be closest to the UT2k4 experience by far. planetside 2 probably second.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 9, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Overwatch is pretty much a Team Fortress game if you played that. Definitely borrowed a lot from TF2

but nah it's not really anything like a plain shooty game like CS or Fortnite. It's a team game where there are a bunch of different roles you can play, so you can act as support or do some sneaky sabotage. The classes all have their own playstyle, and some of them (the Soldier and Demoman) have explosive weapons you can use to turn them into fast-moving, aerial combatants, if you have the skills!

Depending on how classic it is, each class has a few different loadouts they can use that change how they play, what your strategy is gonna be, and you can switch it up depending on how things are going. Things can get pretty creative, and there's a ton of stuff you can try out. Especially if you try being a spah, where it can be as much about mind games with the other team as actually taking action

It's also not a one-life thing, if you die you get out there again almost immediately, so it's more about trying to turn the tide - you're not punished for experimenting. And a coordinated team isn't as important either. Plus the whole thing just has a ton of character and charm. I haven't touched it in forever, but I used to play it a lot!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'm starting to go through the Steam reviews of Horizon Zero Dawn now that the sample size seems pretty good.

Gosh darn.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TF2 from 2009-2011 was one of the best experiences I ever had with online games & definitely had the best community of any competitive game I've played. no idea why that game in particular had such better players than others but people on the servers I frequented were just way goofier and less serious/tryhard than other games but with a lot of mic usage and communication that made matches great. CTF on turbine was my jam

such a shame the game went downhill after they kept adding dumber and dumber items that totally broke the role of classes in half or in at least one case was just an objective upgrade over the stock. I remember in the dev commentary they talked about how they carefully designed each class to have a distinct silhouette so you could instantly know what capabilities you could expect from an enemy player when you saw them, and in one of their blog posts when they first started adding new weapons, they said they were designing the additions to reinforce class strengths rather than remove class weaknesses, which was very smart design. sure would have been cool if they hadn't completely loving 180'd on those things later

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I still miss TFC

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

such a shame the game went downhill after they kept adding dumber and dumber items that totally broke the role of classes in half or in at least one case was just an objective upgrade over the stock. I remember in the dev commentary they talked about how they carefully designed each class to have a distinct silhouette so you could instantly know what capabilities you could expect from an enemy player when you saw them, and in one of their blog posts when they first started adding new weapons, they said they were designing the additions to reinforce class strengths rather than remove class weaknesses, which was very smart design. sure would have been cool if they hadn't completely loving 180'd on those things later

Remember when they said they wouldn't introduce cosmetics that break the Sixties setting/aesthetic.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I don't have a problem with the TF2 aesthetic or games balance.

What broke the game for me was the 2016 (?) update which annihilated community servers (and your ability to actually choose the server you want to play on), instead sticking you into an automatic queue which took 5-10 minutes to find a game and would outright fail and drop you back into the main menu about 70% of the time.

I've been told that even people who live in Western Europe \ North America (where Valve servers exist and you might actually get into an active game in less than an hour) are quitting due to the plague of bots and hackers over the last year.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Xander77 posted:

I don't have a problem with the TF2 aesthetic or games balance.

What broke the game for me was the 2016 (?) update which annihilated community servers (and your ability to actually choose the server you want to play on), instead sticking you into an automatic queue which took 5-10 minutes to find a game and would outright fail and drop you back into the main menu about 70% of the time.

I've been told that even people who live in Western Europe \ North America (where Valve servers exist and you might actually get into an active game in less than an hour) are quitting due to the plague of bots and hackers over the last year.

Wait I quit playing before this happened, did they seriously get rid of community servers? That is the dumbest loving idea I've ever heard in a while and it's 2020.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Either my HZD crashing issues have magically abated or the Intelligent Standby List Cleaner is doing the trick! The port is absolutely stunning and I haven’t noticed the pop-in some people have been complaining about.

Also seems like a couple years is enough for me to forget the right amount of story beats to enjoy a second playthough :v:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really want to play HZD again on PC but my PC is very mid-range and the area where it's most lacking is RAM :ohdear:

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Overwatch is pretty much a Team Fortress game if you played that. Definitely borrowed a lot from TF2

Overwatch is nothing like TF2 aside from being a team shooter and sharing some vague concepts in game modes and characters (payload, control point, A Character With A Laser Beam That Heals You)

I'm sure it started like that early in development, but then they decided that what fast-paced FPSes needed were tanks which slowed the entire game to a crawl and now pub play is mostly about getting caught in chokes and shooting shields

socialsecurity posted:

Wait I quit playing before this happened, did they seriously get rid of community servers? That is the dumbest loving idea I've ever heard in a while and it's 2020.

They didn't technically get rid of them, they just hid the server browser in a tiny button in the corner, so the 95% of players that just slap "PLAY GAME" get into the official servers via terrible matchmaking. There's not a critical mass of players who actually look at the server browser for community servers to run anymore, and most of them gave up and closed. The only ones that survived were the biggest 24/7 2fort servers.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Post-Void is now one of the top games of 2020 in my mind. I've beaten it twice now and yet I still keep coming back for more.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I know this comes up often but is there a good way to organize your library? Depressurizer was always janky and it doesn't look likes its been updated for about a year.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

I really miss dedicated servers a lot of the time, it was always great when you found a good one and would regularly play with the same people. Usually the more popular ones would even have websites with a little forum, the sense of community was great.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really miss dedicated servers a lot of the time, it was always great when you found a good one and would regularly play with the same people. Usually the more popular ones would even have websites with a little forum, the sense of community was great.

In the couple hours I played of TF2 classic, the regular servers had voice chat enabled for everyone instead of team based, and it was a great time. The people playing are pretty chill

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

In the couple hours I played of TF2 classic, the regular servers had voice chat enabled for everyone instead of team based, and it was a great time. The people playing are pretty chill

One of my favorite podcasts (the f plus) started as people reading insane poo poo over voice chat in TF2 servers like those.

I used to have a bunch of UT2K4 servers and BC2 servers where there was a vent server listed on the server site for people to just shoot the poo poo while we played. It was super fun, and people usually wouldn’t get salty about the game since the game was kind of just a secondary framework to the whole experience.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

credburn posted:

Ahem.

No shooter has ever flicked the "silly fun" switch for me like TF2 has. Generally speaking I don't like PvP games online because of the faceless nature of your opponents, the merciless poo poo-talking, etc., but while those elements are still present the cartoonish lilt to how everything is designed helps take the edge off. You also don't need to put up with "you died, now sit out the rest of this game" unless you're in Arena mode, and nobody plays that.

The aesthetic, setting, characters and their voice barks (and masterfully written absurdity of the comics on the website that establish the lore) all coalesce into this environment with a mirror-sheen polish that, to me, remains head and shoulders above its imitators. The central plot of TF2 (yes, it somehow has that), which wasn't established until some time after release, is that two brothers, Redmond Mann and Blutarch Mann, are in a bitter lifelong feud contesting ownership of the cp_gravelpit map -- literally a pit of gravel -- because they're convinced the gravel is highly valuable, and are each sending endless waves of mercenaries to clash against each other in the hopes of finally claiming the area for their own. Oh, also there's a third brother, Grey Mann, who was raised by eagles. Nobody talks about him much until the robots invade. The Medic dies at one point, makes a deal with the Devil, and out-weasels the Devil in their agreement. Things are pretty much always like this.

The absolute MOUNTAIN of community content made in Gmod, SFM and the like focusing on the absurdities of the world, these characters, and their interactions speaks volumes to how well written, adaptable, and just plain enjoyable they are, and how much you can get out of them. To this day there are still sporadic stop-motion animations put out by ElTorro64, Dr. Lalve, Antoine Delak, Greatdictator and probably others I'm forgetting, not to mention the old content there is to sift through, or the "How it FEELS to play [Class]" series by LazyPurple that excellently summarizes every class he's covered with a combination of gameplay footage and animation.

In terms of gameplay the classes are also balanced against each other to a similarly impressive degree, mountainous deluge of stupid unlockable weapons aside, although the demoman and pyro remain massive points of balancing contention in the community through to present day. By far the game's biggest weakness at launch was that it had like 3 maps and 2 game modes to play, both of which have been very resolved by now. There's 9 classes so you have a good variety to experiment with and find a main but you also aren't overwhelmed with several dozen variants on each class archetype. Payload is probably my favourite game mode, where one team pushes the cart along a track and the other tries to stop it, but if you just want to kick back and basically team deathmatch for an hour it's hard to beat 2fort.

2fort, over time, has become "that terrible CTF map nobody should ever play", which is exactly why you should give it a shot. Nobody coordinates, they either turtle or go lone ranger hoping to find some satisfying 1v1's that aren't rudely interrupted. It's the perfect environment to get your feet wet. Or, everyone could just end up going sniper instead, that happens sometimes. It's also the only map I've seen that has a habitual tendency to derail from deathmatching and capturing the objective, to playful nonlethal screwing around, even before things like the conga dance and sandvich parties existed. I still have a screenshot somewhere from when a scout got "stuck" up the wall in the opposite team's courtyard and somehow both teams built a totem pole of heavies to "rescue" him.

Not gonna lie, the barrier to entry is definitely a lot stricter now than it would have been a decade ago, as a lot of people have figured out the classes and the Spy in particular you're probably going to have a bad time trying to get a feel for. On the flipside, there are plenty of videos to watch for advice now and the game's been free for a while so there's a wide variety of skill levels you're going to encounter. If you don't like it, at worst you're out some of your bandwidth cap; if you do like it it's likely to stick with you for some time to come. Just cross your fingers and hope the gibus dweebs aren't all on your own team.

socialsecurity posted:

As has been said, community servers are still there but they've been massively disincentivized with the changes that were made in the War! update and the vast majority of the player population only shuffles through the official servers now. So most of the community servers couldn't afford or see a reason to stay up, and there's rather a dearth of them compared to what there used to be despite the general growth of the playerbase. It's a drat shame.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 9, 2020

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Which is more valuable: 100 gems or 6 cents?

The 2017 title is right. I reinstalled Steam and am going to go through All(most) of the games I have here that I bought and either never played or played very little.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

One of my favorite podcasts (the f plus) started as people reading insane poo poo over voice chat in TF2 servers like those.

that's rad, I've listened to the F plus off and on for a few years now and never knew this. alltalk servers were definitely a great part of TF2's community with everyone being able to yell at the entire server at once and no way to communicate without the other team hearing it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

that's rad, I've listened to the F plus off and on for a few years now and never knew this. alltalk servers were definitely a great part of TF2's community with everyone being able to yell at the entire server at once and no way to communicate without the other team hearing it

Their episode 200 retrospective talks about it in depth, it’s a good listen and makes me miss that whole 2000’s era of dedicated servers.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ryanbomber posted:

Overwatch is nothing like TF2 aside from being a team shooter and sharing some vague concepts in game modes and characters (payload, control point, A Character With A Laser Beam That Heals You)

I'm sure it started like that early in development, but then they decided that what fast-paced FPSes needed were tanks which slowed the entire game to a crawl and now pub play is mostly about getting caught in chokes and shooting shields

Funnily enough it actually started life as a development failure for a new shooter MMO franchise, so I guess it's more like they added tanks and then ripped off TF2. They're not really all that similar tbh

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 9, 2020

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Which is more valuable: 100 gems or 6 cents?

They're about the same, enough people play the gem market that major inefficiencies get balanced out. The gems have chance of being slightly more valuable in that Steam's transaction tax has a baseline of two cents, so 6 cents is actually 4 cents whereas a gem bag(1000 gems) going for 60 cents would be 53. But I just looked it up and currently the gem market is buyer tilted, so gem bags are going for 42 cents, meaning what the seller makes drives the price instead of what the buyer pays. It fluctuates in that range.

Unless you have a ton of things to turn into gems reading all that is a bigger waste of time than just listing the thing up for 7 cents and hoping 5 cents will pop up in your steam wallet at some point in the future.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

They're about the same, enough people play the gem market that major inefficiencies get balanced out. The gems have chance of being slightly more valuable in that Steam's transaction tax has a baseline of two cents, so 6 cents is actually 4 cents whereas a gem bag(1000 gems) going for 60 cents would be 53. But I just looked it up and currently the gem market is buyer tilted, so gem bags are going for 42 cents, meaning what the seller makes drives the price instead of what the buyer pays. It fluctuates in that range.

Unless you have a ton of things to turn into gems reading all that is a bigger waste of time than just listing the thing up for 7 cents and hoping 5 cents will pop up in your steam wallet at some point in the future.

Thank you for the information. I probably won't even bother with any of that. I was considering cleaning out my inventory but, eh. :effort: Dont even have that much in there.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
hey gang, did anyone do a review on what's good and bad from the humble choice? i got all of it but only really wanted vampyr and wargroove

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

That’s why you should play TF2 Classic and travel back to a simpler time! Thinking back, it’s pretty crazy that they never made another class in an update. Definitely for the best though

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Played a bunch of TF2 Classic last night and man that brings back a lot of good memories. There's some alternate weapons I've never seen before so I had to laugh that the classic TF2 experience was even some time after I stopped playing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I want someone to make Team Fortress Classic 2.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've never had fun in a multiplayer game like I had playing medic in TF2.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As I am always quick to stubbornly point out, Overwatch actually cribbed a whole hell of a lot from Super Monday Night Combat. Possibly moreso than TF2. (Though MNC also cribbed from TF2 in the first place.)

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

TF2 from 2009-2011 was one of the best experiences I ever had with online games & definitely had the best community of any competitive game I've played. no idea why that game in particular had such better players than others but people on the servers I frequented were just way goofier and less serious/tryhard than other games but with a lot of mic usage and communication that made matches great. CTF on turbine was my jam

Also don't forget how they designed the game to explicitly downplay the importance of K/D/A only to then eventually add several different types of premium items to show off your sick nasty kill counts. One of which spams the loving server to let everyone know how big your dick is.

My interest was already waning at that point (not helped by the big "gently caress you, give us money" that the later crafting recipes were) but that was the final nail in the coffin for me personally.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 9, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

explosivo posted:

Played a bunch of TF2 Classic last night and man that brings back a lot of good memories. There's some alternate weapons I've never seen before so I had to laugh that the classic TF2 experience was even some time after I stopped playing.

Are you explosivo on there? Maybe I'll run in to you. Same name as on here for me

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Are you explosivo on there? Maybe I'll run in to you. Same name as on here for me

Yup, sure am. I'm trying to stick to the 24 player classic servers for the most part, not a big fan of most custom maps I've tried tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeaaaah that's where the good stuff is at. It almost reminds me of playing on the goon servers whose name I've forgotten. Lemuria or Lost something. I'm glad you're having the same experience as me! More of you guys should hop on, maybe we can get together in the goon discord or something. For the uninitiated, you want servers that just have the tag increasedmaxplayers, which is what bumps it up to 24 from 16, which imo 24 is the sweet spot. Other servers might have a bunch of tags on them, like nocrit and stuff like that.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 9, 2020