Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:same: Teenage Nuer doesn’t appeal to me at all. I’m still getting it, mind, and I’m hoping it’s really different from Nier Automata, which I truly did not like. Though a lot of my dislike of N:A was from dying to the boss at the end of the intro to an unlucky juggle, and having to go back and play the whole thing again. I beat the intro the second time but it soured me on the whole thing so bad I stopped after another hour or two.

Sounds like you got successfully trolled.

The game gets substantially more forgiving after the intro, with checkpointing before bosses and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sinteres posted:

So to the Nierheads out there, if I haven't played Automata yet, should I wait and play it after Replicant, or does it not matter? Side note: I play FFXIV where they have Automata inspired raids but I haven't done those yet either.

It does not matter.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sinteres posted:

So to the Nierheads out there, if I haven't played Automata yet, should I wait and play it after Replicant, or does it not matter? Side note: I play FFXIV where they have Automata inspired raids but I haven't done those yet either.

Automata is a sequel, but really, it doesn't matter. If anything, playing the prequel afterwards may give you a bigger appreciation on what happens there after you have experienced the future. Play both ASAP, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sinteres posted:

Thirded, it basically does not matter. It's technically the same setting, as far as I'm aware, but in a 'ten thousand years into the future' kind of way. You will meet a single Replicant character at one point which makes for a callback to that game, but otherwise, there is essentially no connection. The game is stand-alone in every sense that matters.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

OgNar posted:

Actually, i'm not exactly sure how ratings work.
I do know that weight is a factor (that is a kinda small bear).
And for animals like deer, males will get you higher plus even more if they have antlers.

For contrast here is a heavier bear that I shot while it was charging me.
Got a bronze rating alone for the weight I think.

But its truly a casual game for me so I really just wander around shooting things as opposed to people who only go after gold or diamond ratings.

Also ammo used will get you a lower rating. I was getting real low ratings on Moose until I finally unlocked the Polymer bullets.
Because the soft point was considered not strong enough.
poo poo I figure if you used a lesser bullet and still killed it you should get a higher rating.

That's basically it. For some animals it's weight, for some animals it's the size of the antlers. But you can usually tell the level of trophy you'll get based on the difficulty of the animal. All species have a difficulty range and every animal will be generated with a difficulty rating within that species' range. The more difficult that animal, the better the trophy, usually. So for black bears, the maximum is 9-legendary, while yours is a 4-easy.

If you hover over the trophy rating number it will show you how much you need for a silver/gold/plat etc. But even if your number is enough for a particular level, you won't get it if you don't pass the harvest check. E.g. If you shoot with the wrong ammo, you get downgraded. If you don't shoot a vital organ, you get downgraded - you're not supposed to shoot the head.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sinteres posted:

Some of the big revelations from the first game are spoiled in the second, so if you really care about maximum surprise go with Nier before Automata. But like others have said, it's not really a big deal.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Isn't there a free tier of bullets in thehunter? Even if there ain't, you'd have to work real hard to go bankrupt.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Black Griffon posted:

Isn't there a free tier of bullets in thehunter? Even if there ain't, you'd have to work real hard to go bankrupt.

Yes, the starter rifle comes with as many as you want of soft point bullets.
This may also be true with the starter pistol and shotgun.
But I have actually never used either.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sinteres posted:

It's the same setting but thousands of years later. There are some spoilers for Replicant/Gestalt in some of the files you can find, but the game doesn't throw it in your face.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There was some brief mention of Dauntless earlier; how does it stack up? Since it's f2p I think I'm going to install it when I get home from work, rather than ponying up for MHW just to see if I enjoy the genre on PC more than on PS4. I looked over the weapons on the wikia, looks like the Chain Blades are the analog to MH's Dual blades

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Honestly, where is the drakengard 1 remake/remaster

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I wish there was a pokemon hunting game.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Kennel posted:

I wish there was a pokemon hunting game.

There is Pokemon Snap, where you hunt... FOR THE BEST PICTURE!

Where is the pokemon snap sequel, dangit.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Luisfe posted:

Where is the pokemon snap sequel, dangit.

They just announced it this year.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Luisfe posted:

They're still too busy grinding discs with classical music together and hitting the drum machine with a sledgehammer for the remastered soundtrack.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

:stare:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Has anyone picked up Interstellar Rift and can comment on how it compares to all the other space games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSOQHFovI4I

https://store.steampowered.com/app/363360/Interstellar_Rift/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Mostly Positive as a Steam rating translates to something like 70%-ish percent positive ratings or something like that, right?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cardiovorax posted:

Mostly Positive as a Steam rating translates to something like 70%-ish percent positive ratings or something like that, right?
Yes. If you hover over it it tells you the specific number, 72% from 859 reviews for that one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yes. If you hover over it it tells you the specific number, 72% from 859 reviews for that one.
Oh, I never even knew that. Thanks a bunch, that makes those ratings way more informative.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Luisfe posted:

I'd love to see this but I'm not holding my breath.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Give us the Populous: The Beginning remake cowards

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tarezax posted:

Sounds like you got successfully trolled.

The game gets substantially more forgiving after the intro, with checkpointing before bosses and stuff.

I know it gets easier, I was just so annoyed with having to replay like an hour of the game I didn’t want to deal with it anymore.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

I bought NMS earlier today and I am really not impressed with it so far.

Are there any planets at all that does not have a billion stupid looking animals just run around in endless circles?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Flimf posted:

I bought NMS earlier today and I am really not impressed with it so far.

Are there any planets at all that does not have a billion stupid looking animals just run around in endless circles?
No, that's basically the NMS experience in a nutshell.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Re: theHunter:CotW talk,

The Skull is the trophy for that animal, meaning by shooting it in the head you’ve lost points because you ruined the trophy. Those bears would’ve scored a lot higher had you made a cleaner/more ethical kill.

The game has several criteria for “proper” kills.

* Use a gun appropriate to the target (no obliterating bunnies with a buffalo rifle)
* Do not use excessive force, you lose points for shooting it more than twice (buckshot/birdshot counts this per shell, not pellet)
* Keep the trophy intact (no headshots! Shooting animals in the head/spine is a terrible idea IRL, their brains are tiny and you’re more likely to inflict a horrible wound that the animal will take forever to die from in excruciating pain*)
* Score a hit to the animal’s vitals (lungs, heart, liver, I think the stomach?)

The animal dying quickly used to be a criteria for the trophy score but it not longer is, it does however still effect how much XP and money you get from the kill.

The game is actually really good about incentivizing somewhat realistic and ethical harvesting of animals. Aside from the fact you can freely gun down entire herds in a few hours. But tag limits might be going a bit far. :v:

* Old story I'll probably never forget from my grandpa that made sure I could never go hunting in real life, kinda gross: to keep it short, he was hunting one day in an area much like Layton and tried to shoot a moose. Unfortunately his aim was high and instead of hitting it in the vitals "Breadbasket" he hit the spine, paralyzing the poor thing's rear half. It started thrashing around with its two working front legs, screaming painfully. My grandpa tried to line up a second shot but the thing was thrashing around too much and a second shot just ended up hitting it in the intestinal area causing it even greater suffering. He ended up having to close in, draw his knife, wrestle the thing down with the help of his hunting buddy (at great risk to themselves) and knife the thing in chest to collapse its lungs to end its suffering as fast as he could (he judged trying to slash its throat too risky). He said he couldn't go hunting again for nearly a decade after that and he was tearing up retelling this. So yeah, if you ever go hunting IRL, make loving sure you give those poor animals as clean and quick a death as you can.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 24, 2020

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

:stare:

Well poo poo

How did I not learn of this until now

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Been playing Rebel Galaxy Outlaw again now that it’s on Steam. It’s a good game, but it kind of plays itself too much. Yeah, the autopilot saves some time playing but makes delivery missions “accept, hold a, dock”. The fighter combat is good but the lock-on tracking is... I like it and I don’t like it, it simplifies things but it’s always the best choice.

The art style and the music are still top notch and the whole thing feels a lot like first person freelancer to an extent, but a bit budget. I like it, I recommend it, but it’s not perfect. I also hate that it makes me change settings through a launcher and never lets me save them through an in game menu.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Re: theHunter:CotW talk,

* Keep the trophy intact (no headshots! Shooting animals in the head/spine is a terrible idea IRL, their brains are tiny and you’re more likely to inflict a horrible wound that the animal will take forever to die from in excruciating pain*)

Most tutorials out there are from a year or more and basically boil down to telling you to shoot it in the spine, because 'in game' that was the most efficient way to kill.
Which was, of course, patched out.
They tweaked it so most spine shots simply do less damage.

Now that I have unlocked the .270 polymer bullets I can finally move on to other maps and be able to take out bigger game when I want.
The .270 soft points just weren't doing jack for me on stuff like moose unless i got a perfect heart shot.
And half the time it would just run away wounded because I wasn't getting penetration.
giggity

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 24, 2020

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

My experience with every Monster Hunter has been "engaging if a bit grindy" until I hit G rank where the monster health and attack values skyrocket so absurdly that I can't be bothered to take it seriously anymore. I'm not failing a hunt 3-6 times, wasting ~45 minutes of my life each time, to finally succeed and get 1/5th of the materials I need for 1 piece of the new gear out of however many look worthwhile, while getting stiffed the rare drops at every possible opportunity. High rank is a nice challenge. G rank is for crazy people.

That considered, I guess it's not surprising I had the best time with and spent the most time on Freedom 2.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's bugs the heck out of me that the digital version of Root went with kinda-janky 3D models instead of something 2D

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

OgNar posted:

Most tutorials out there are from a year or more and basically boil down to telling you to shoot it in the spine, because 'in game' that was the most efficient way to kill.
Which was, of course, patched out.
They tweaked it so most spine shots simply do less damage.

Now that I have unlocked the .270 polymer bullets I can finally move on to other maps and be able to take out bigger game when I want.
The .270 soft points just weren't doing jack for me on stuff like moose unless i got a perfect heart shot.
And half the time it would just run away wounded because I wasn't getting penetration.
giggity

Yeah, Spine shots used to be the meta because you just had to hit vertebrae and it was an instant kill. They changed that so the only way to score an instant kill with a spine shot is to hit the spinal nerve cord itself instead of just the vertebrae and that still will lose you points because that doesn't count as a "Vitals" hit (spine shot meta was from before the Vitals requirement replaced the Quick Kill timer). The spinal cord is really tiny and if you can get a good angle at it, you've got a good angle at the "Breadbasket" and should just blast the thing in the chest anyways as its easier and gets you proper points. It was a good change, IMO. A lot of old tips & tricks videos should be taken skeptically cause a lot has changed in the game in the last year or so.

And yeah, usually better penetration beats out raw damage, the deeper you can hit into the animal's body, the more organs you're likely to hit and kill it faster. The .270 is still a bit weak for reliably killing moose, your next step up should be the 7mm rifle, assuming you've got no gun packs. The 7mm is a reliable weapon for a lot of animals. The .270 is a great all-rounder though (but the 7mm is valid for everything the .270 is, with the .270's only advantage being the 7mm is a single-shot break action rifle, meaning you usually can only get a single shot in). Can you believe there was a long time in the game where the .270/7mm wasn't considered a valid/legal gun for blacktail deer? It was dumb as hell.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 24, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
:derp::siren:Goon user Tortolia has been compromised:siren::derp:

Of the other people warned about I think I was only friends with one of them, but this goon has 34 friends in common with me, so please be careful.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lmao how are all these goons getting duped so hard god drat

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

but we could win with our team in the voting contest!!!!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hwurmp posted:

but we could win with our team in the voting contest!!!!

Oh poo poo where do I put in my steam username and password and also disable my 2FA

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
if you'd just vote for them already they'd have won and this would all be over

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m telling ya it’s the anime.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If it wasn't surprisingly easy to get someone with a phishing message when they're not expecting it, people wouldn't be bothering to do them, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

yet another reason why it's always best to tell people to gently caress off and die when they approach you, for any reason