Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

repiv posted:

I can't vouch for them but they're featured on IsThereAnyDeal which only aggregates legit resellers.

Oh right, I was trying to think of that site and why I moved on. I been using https://gg.deals/ since it has a way more readable format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Space Engineers on sale for $14 and free for next 3 days.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/Space_Engineers/

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

My Fallout experience: blew up the starting town in Fallout 3. Didn't click with New Vegas because ??? will try again later. Fallout 4: starting it now and holy jesus this 1950s vibe is SUPER creepy

sounds like a lovely experience. Try Fallout 1 and die by rats in the first cave!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

haldolium posted:

sounds like a lovely experience. Try Fallout 1 and die by rats in the first cave!

Alternatively, try Fallout 2 and die to scorpions in the tutorial!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of FO4, NV, and that mod I mentioned, it seems to be coming along well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JanHMbRjNJ8

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Here's a bundle that's way better than the monthly: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...tent=cta_button

Worth it for Detention and Dusk (I assume) alone. Dunno if anything else is a pleasant surprise.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I really want New Vegas 2 in the Outer Worlds engine (the only good thing about it).

Iverron
May 13, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I really want New Vegas 2 in the Outer Worlds engine (the only good thing about it).

I need to see what Avowed looks like first because man TOW was an anemic, forgettable game. First Obsidian thing I’ve been truly disappointed in.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GrandpaPants posted:

Here's a bundle that's way better than the monthly: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...tent=cta_button

Worth it for Detention and Dusk (I assume) alone. Dunno if anything else is a pleasant surprise.

Blood is one of the best FPS games out there and a major influence on Dusk. You're getting a remastered version rather than the original but from what I've heard it's pretty much the same game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

lordfrikk posted:

Meh it was just UE4. Outer Worlds still felt exactly like a lovely open world Gamebryo game and I'm continously baffled as to why they thought that was a good thing to replicate?!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It felt like a lovely Gamebryo open world game despite having no physics and all the items were just soda cans

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

Speaking of FO4, NV, and that mod I mentioned, it seems to be coming along well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JanHMbRjNJ8

Not gonna lie, that looks exactly like Fallout New Vegas does in my memory and now I am afraid of opening the game and realizing it has N64 graphics.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I just started playing Outer Worlds on Game Pass and does the writing ever pick up or is "hello stranger, I am [capitalist running dog], even though we just met, please turn off the power at the bad deserter town for me, you will need to flip these switches three" about what I'm in for

I presume I'm going to find out that diverting the power in either direction is bad for different reasons because there's no ethical choice under et cetera and so forth

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Deakul posted:

Meh it was just UE4. Outer Worlds still felt exactly like a lovely open world Gamebryo game and I'm continously baffled as to why they thought that was a good thing to replicate?!

because Obsidian can't make good games and people never realized (still most don't). ALL their games are technical desasters at least, excused by some sort of lovely deadlines (Kotor2 or so) or some sort of not getting whatever (crappy Bethesda addons). They're simply a gloryrfied myth from ppl. who played D&D or whatever in their cellar and thought that was the pinnacly of good writing. (It's not)

Obsidian and Double Fine are the worst, most overrated game companies outside of todays cults.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That dastardly Obsidian.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

haldolium posted:

because Obsidian can't make good games and people never realized (still most don't). ALL their games are technical desasters at least, excused by some sort of lovely deadlines (Kotor2 or so) or some sort of not getting whatever (crappy Bethesda addons). They're simply a gloryrfied myth from ppl. who played D&D or whatever in their cellar and thought that was the pinnacly of good writing. (It's not)

Obsidian and Double Fine are the worst, most overrated game companies outside of todays cults.

Show us on the doll where the bad dungeon master touched you

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

looks like all of the zachtronics games are 50% off on the humble store right now.

also the messenger is $4. steam reviews for this are very positive but i think i remember people here saying its bad?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Awesome! posted:

looks like all of the zachtronics games are 50% off on the humble store right now.

also the messenger is $4. steam reviews for this are very positive but i think i remember people here saying its bad?

It turns into a really low effort Metroidvania after the first half and I did not like that at all.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

drat horror queefs posted:

Show us on the doll where the bad dungeon master touched you

not ready yet :'(

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Karma Tornado posted:

I just started playing Outer Worlds on Game Pass and does the writing ever pick up or is "hello stranger, I am [capitalist running dog], even though we just met, please turn off the power at the bad deserter town for me, you will need to flip these switches three" about what I'm in for

I presume I'm going to find out that diverting the power in either direction is bad for different reasons because there's no ethical choice under et cetera and so forth

No, in fact you are currently going through the by far most interesting and well written part of the game, it's all downhill from there, lol

And yes on the second paragraph, except the reason with which they came for making one of the factions "bad" is so monumentally idiotic it feels like a parody, but it's delivered with all the earnestness the writers could muster.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

haldolium posted:

Counterpoint: Alpha Protocol, as broken as it is brilliant.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

steinrokkan posted:

No, in fact you are currently going through the by far most interesting and well written part of the game, it's all downhill from there, lol

Gross. Ew.

I did one of those Charlie Brown "auuugh" noises quietly to myself when it asked me to flip three switches before flipping the important no take backsies switch

I shot some kind of parrot wolf at range using the not-VATS and that boy did sail up into the sky very slowly like it had been raptured by a god who wasn't really sure what it was doing, though, that was pretty good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was gonna say New Vegas was good, but now I realize that was over 10 years ago and Obsidian has had more misses than hits during that time. This is like realizing Weezer has sucked for way longer than they were ever good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

I was gonna say New Vegas was good, but now I realize that was over 10 years ago and Obsidian has had more misses than hits during that time. This is like realizing Weezer has sucked for way longer than they were ever good.

What were the misses?

Tyranny was good. Pillars was good. Deadfire was amazing. Haven't played that Southpark game. Outer Worlds is their one miss so far imo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

New Vegas and Alpha Protocol are the only Obsidian games I've played and enjoyed

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Karma Tornado posted:

Unfortunately no, it doesn't get better. The main quest has some interesting twists and turns but the whole game has a "Gee jolly, capitalism sure is wacky!" toothless aesthetic that endlessly throws binary lesser-of-two-evils choices at you. At first it's a little refreshing because the choices are not false or fabricated, you can rarely hit a dialogue check and make both parties happy. The issue is that they're tortured and terribly contrived, like they absolutely had to make both sides equally evil. I, apparently, got a bad outcome in a mid-game quest chain because the leader I was working for was actually a zealot and his 2nd in command thought I was irresponsible for supporting him, but the dialogue leading up to that point barely supported that outcome. Some of the beat-by-beat dialogue is fun - Spacer's Choice! and the Parvati companion line as two examples that come to mind. Then you get to Byzantium and the bottom falls out.

Also the whole combat system straight up sucks. It just sucks. The game has the most bloated and worthless inventory system I've experienced in an RPG.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Awesome! posted:

It looks pretty good but the platforming is dull and there’s just no gameplay “hook.” It’s all extremely rote and the humor doesn’t land either.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I felt like Outer Worlds combat was perfectly fine for the genre.

My problems with it were the boring Perks each level, and the entirely uninspired "Gun", "Gun Mk2" and "Gun Mk3" for gear.

Can't comment on the writing because, as with every game, I skim subtitles and press Skip half way through the voice acting :downs:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Awesome! posted:

It's not gameplay related, but The Messenger quotes/paraphrases Jordan Peterson and refers to him as Jordan the Wise. I don't know if the rest of the game has any chud messaging, but that's a yikes from me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

What were the misses?

Tyranny was good. Pillars was good. Deadfire was amazing. Haven't played that Southpark game. Outer Worlds is their one miss so far imo.

If you watched the first 10 years of South Park then The Stick of Truth was a fun as hell rpg style game that drew from all the irreverent dumb humor that made the show good.

The Fractured But Whole was just them jamming their throbbing "THE TRUTH IS IN THE MIDDLE LOL" agenda into a game making fun of superhero franchises and what racial humor they did try fell completely flat or was gross as hell. I'd even go so far as to say it was cop apologia for the following the cops target and harass black people because there is a demon in the basement of the precinct that only eats black people, not you know because cops are largely fascist racist tools of the state

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Awesome! posted:

I'm lukewarm on the main game. The free DLC was quite quite good though imo.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 20, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the messenger is fine and blew a lot of minds with its mid-game twist, but the gameplay changes after said twist really don't work for it and the writing is very bad

not even about the petersen quotes, the characters basically speak in fourth-wall breaking shitposts and most of them are about as funny as a root canal

Iverron
May 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

If you watched the first 10 years of South Park then The Stick of Truth was a fun as hell rpg style game that drew from all the irreverent dumb humor that made the show good.

The Fractured But Whole was just them jamming their throbbing "THE TRUTH IS IN THE MIDDLE LOL" agenda into a game making fun of superhero franchises and what racial humor they did try fell completely flat or was gross as hell. I'd even go so far as to say it was cop apologia for the following the cops target and harass black people because there is a demon in the basement of the precinct that only eats black people, not you know because cops are largely fascist racist tools of the state

Obsidian didn't make The Fractured But Whole?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The Messenger main game feels like it went through a lot of revision. There are a lot of things stapled together that don't really belong. The DLC doesn't feel that way at all, the sense of humor works and it's hard in all the right places. Ok, the final fight is a giant meme but everything up until then is exactly what it should be.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

I had to look this up because I've never heard about this game - it's made y Ubisoft.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

What were the misses?

Agree with this, but Outer Worlds was a AA game that came out of nowhere, and sold and reviewed much better than it had any right to. I think some of the initial reviews and FNV comparisons set people’s expectations way too high, but calling it a miss seems like a stretch. It was a neat small budget game and it already has a sequel in development.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Iverron posted:

Obsidian didn't make The Fractured But Whole?

I didn't mean to imply Obsidian made it, I thought they did but my main point was the first game was great, and the second was Matt and Trey jerking off over how enlightened their lolbertarian ideas were. Probably didn't have too much to do with the developers making story/character choices.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

You may want to double check who made which game.

Edit

pentyne posted:

I didn't mean to imply Obsidian made it, I thought they did but my main point was the first game was great, and the second was Matt and Trey jerking off over how enlightened their lolbertarian ideas were. Probably didn't have too much to do with the developers making story/character choices.

The main point was about Obsidian though, not South Park.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 20, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
How well does Star Wars Squadrons run on 5 yr old hardware? My GPU is below recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Has any of the Obsidian games actually been a "technical disaster" since AP/New Vegas? (10 years ago)