Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Look Sir Droids posted:

How well does Star Wars Squadrons run on 5 yr old hardware? My GPU is below recommended.

I'm also starting to get to the point where my hardware is just one tick below the recommended specs for either the CPU, GPU, or both (1070 and i4770) for the shiny new AAA games. I had a nice run of not having to worry about this kind of thing, you hate to see it

e: this is an incredibly dull snype, I'm sorry, please enjoy this cool bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm also starting to get to the point where my hardware is just one tick below the recommended specs for either the CPU, GPU, or both (1070 and i4770) for the shiny new AAA games. I had a nice run of not having to worry about this kind of thing, you hate to see it

I was already planning to upgrade my GPU for Cyberpunk, but I’m kind of in a bind. I’d like to wait for a 3060 to come out, but it’s likely that will push my power usage up enough for me to need a new PSU. At which point I’m over halfway to a new build. Or I can hope to snag a 2060 Super or 2070 on a good deal and that might spare my PSU.

My CPU is a 4790k. Anything less and I’d be fine starting from scratch. But that’s still a good processor. I don’t OC it so maybe I could resell it.

e: It's okay, I didn't even realize I was being dunked on. That is a very cool bird.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 20, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

That IS a pretty cool looking bird!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Look Sir Droids posted:

My CPU is a 4790k. Anything less and I’d be fine starting from scratch. But that’s still a good processor. I don’t OC it so maybe I could resell it.
4670K here and yeah these processors will likely last another few years. Kinda insane how future-proofed this line was since it came out in 2013.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

pentyne posted:

The Fractured But Whole

Wasn't made by Obsidian, which is the topic at hand. And is also considered the worse game of the two modern South Park ones.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Joe Man posted:

4670K here and yeah these processors will likely last another few years. Kinda insane how future-proofed this line was since it came out in 2013.

yeah it's mad, I keep thinking I should upgrade but I have a sneaky suspicion it won't make a noticeable difference and changing mobo can be a pain in the rear end (though possibly not, win10 is pretty good about things like that).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Enjoyed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

That’s a pretty cool bird.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It really depends if you have a high-refresh monitor and a GPU capable of driving it at its resolution. There are a handful a games where a 4579k would have a noticeable impact at 60 FPS, but not many and they’d still be perfectly playable.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kennel posted:

Has any of the Obsidian games actually been a "technical disaster" since AP/New Vegas? (10 years ago)

Not really.

The Pillars games have bad loading on non SSD drives but their bugs weren't technical instability so much as bugged abilities/quests and both Pillars games did get comprehensive post launch support that fixed pretty much all of them.

And by CRPG standards both were pretty stable even on that front to begin with.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Saoshyant posted:

Wasn't made by Obsidian, which is the topic at hand. And is also considered the worse game of the two modern South Park ones.

The combat and character building was better but everything else was weaker. I still liked FBW but Stick of Truth is absolutely the better game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So I ended up buying Amazing Cultivation Simulator now that the English beta is out. My body cultivator just had her first tribulation and oh my God, they deal with Heaven being angry at them by literally punching it until it stops. :allears: They're basically the Dragonball Z character class.

This game really is Amazing alright.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cardiovorax posted:

So I ended up buying Amazing Cultivation Simulator now that the English beta is out. My body cultivator just had her first tribulation and oh my God, they deal with Heaven being angry at them by literally punching it until it stops. :allears: They're basically the Dragonball Z character class.

This game really is Amazing alright.

Oh poo poo, I've been waiting for this. Is the translation alright?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

sebmojo posted:

yeah it's mad, I keep thinking I should upgrade but I have a sneaky suspicion it won't make a noticeable difference and changing mobo can be a pain in the rear end (though possibly not, win10 is pretty good about things like that).

A friend of mine just upgraded his i7-870. Q3 '09 processor. Absolute insanity. We played Ark and Payday 2 and Killing Floor 2 together for years and I had no idea. I have a feeling the RAM upgrade had a bigger impact than the CPU did (he went with a i7-10700K).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo, I've been waiting for this. Is the translation alright?
It's excellent. There are a few phrasings that are a bit off, but otherwise, it's complete and everything makes logical sense and fits together thematically in the wordings they chose. It's quality work.

The beta patch is accessible through the beta code 'gsqenglishtest,' go buy it now while it's still cheap.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

New Vegas and Alpha Protocol are the only Obsidian games I've played and enjoyed

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cardiovorax posted:

It's excellent. There are a few phrasings that are a bit off, but otherwise, it's complete and everything makes logical sense and fits together thematically in the wordings they chose. It's quality work.

The beta patch is accessible through the beta code 'gsqenglishtest,' go buy it now while it's still cheap.

Done and done. Thank you for the heads up about the code!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

Done and done. Thank you for the heads up about the code!
No problem. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do. This game is everything I was hoping Rimworld would be and more.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cardiovorax posted:

No problem. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do. This game is everything I was hoping Rimworld would be and more.

This is another one that's more about managing your crew/cult/colony of insane creatures, than about building machines & environmental stuff a la ONI, right?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

This is another one that's more about managing your crew/cult/colony of insane creatures, than about building machines & environmental stuff a la ONI, right?
Kinda both yes and no. Your disciples are way more stable and obedient than Rimworld colonists. They're way more easy to keep content and don't have nearly as many quirks. The focus is definitely heavily on the cultivation mechanics and the adventure aspects - a lot of the game consists of sending out your Taoist Kung-Fu Wizard out into the larger game world and making them do stuff, including uncovering the overarching mystery plot of who killed your former sect and why.

In the most basic gameplay sense, it has everything Rimworld also does, but there's just way more game to it overall. Not a lot of those mechanics interlock into creating a greater Rube Goldberg-device of moving parts the way Oxygen Not Included does, though. Your sect won't suddenly collapse on itself because your wheat field gave up the ghost and that means half your food-creation tech tree collapses or things like that, but there is a lot of complexity to how things like the feng shui of a room interacts with the over a dozen different elementally-aspected "cultivation laws" a given character can follow.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
re Amazing Cultivation Simulator - the translation is very good (aside from a few bits that are still untranslated, but it's a beta) but IMO a lot of the mechanics are obscure and poorly explained, and honestly some of the systems are just poo poo (the rep system, the dialog system, the auctions, the traders - most of the non-core stuff, honestly). That's not even getting into the deliberately obscure systems for levelling up your peeps. It also doesnt help that all the mods are chinese so it's much harder to take the rough edges off.
there's also little stuff that just shows a lack of polish - eg, medicines in general need refrigeration so they dont spoil. demon blood is classed as medicine, but it doesnt need refrigeration. demon blood is very hot - so it warms up the room it's in. there's no (good, non-gimmick/problem-causing) way that I've seen to create a medicine stash for just demon blood, so it ends up making all your other medicine spoil.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

awesmoe posted:

there's also little stuff that just shows a lack of polish - eg, medicines in general need refrigeration so they dont spoil. demon blood is classed as medicine, but it doesnt need refrigeration. demon blood is very hot - so it warms up the room it's in. there's no (good, non-gimmick/problem-causing) way that I've seen to create a medicine stash for just demon blood, so it ends up making all your other medicine spoil.
Set up a storage for only fire-elemental medicines of tier 6. There's basically nothing other than beast blood which fits into that category. Being able to just pick a specific item time to store would be more convenient, I guess, but it's easy enough to do with just the tools the game provides to you.

Also, not all medicines spoil. The special stuff like red ginseng tends to last forever even without refrigeration and once you build the mini-universe that kind of stuff mostly stops mattering altogether anyway.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Set up a storage for only fire-elemental medicines of tier 6. There's basically nothing other than beast blood which fits into that category. Being able to just pick a specific item time to store would be more convenient, I guess, but it's easy enough to do with just the tools the game provides to you.

Also, not all medicines spoil. The special stuff like red ginseng tends to last forever even without refrigeration and once you build the mini-universe that kind of stuff mostly stops mattering altogether anyway.

yeah, thats fair, when I was trying to do it i was thinking about item types rather than cross filtering on all those things. But the bigger point stands - it's a great translation of a fairly janky and not very smoothly-designed game
e: just to be clear, it is great fun turning your peeps into superpowered kung fu gods, but dont go in looking for polish.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's definitely a lot of jank to this game and some stuff is poorly explained, so that's not altogether wrong. Amazing Cultivation Simulator is a game for people who can tolerate jank and just love crazy content-rich labours of love like this game definitely is.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
There's also a LP going on for Amazing Cult Sim which got me hella on board with the game for those who want to take a look at it first.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915034

It's using an older translation of the game (presumably to prevent save file issues), the actual english patch in the game is much better except for certain untranslated bits. Definitely playable and it has a tutorial that's pretty good as far as I can tell.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It is my opinion that Fallout New Vegas is an astronomically better game than Fallout 3 and especially 4.

I admit that Outer Worlds was not i expected, especially considering that Monarch overstayed it's welcome, but I enjoyed the game which is more than i can say for FO4

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

It is my opinion that Fallout New Vegas is an astronomically better game than Fallout 3 and especially 4.

If someone reads this and is like "yeah NV was fine but Fallout 3 is better because it had Megaton" or whatever then you immediately know they're some kind of idiot or maybe a child

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Currently playing AI: Somnium. I completely understand the little girl having issues and being irritable, but she's being way too much of a butt.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Outer Worlds is serviceable. A perfectly mediocre "one of these". Meh Vegas, if you will.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I think I played the first Ghost Recon way back when and I was under the impression that the series was all really slow and painfully realistic tactical shooters, but I'm playing Breakpoint (with the gun level/rarity turned off because that sounded dumb) and this game is literally just Far Cry 3/4/5 with more gadgets, somewhat better stealth, and fewer attempts at humor or personality (not necessarily a negative given how those attempts tend to turn out).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Triarii posted:

I think I played the first Ghost Recon way back when and I was under the impression that the series was all really slow and painfully realistic tactical shooters, but I'm playing Breakpoint (with the gun level/rarity turned off because that sounded dumb) and this game is literally just Far Cry 3/4/5 with more gadgets, somewhat better stealth, and fewer attempts at humor or personality (not necessarily a negative given how those attempts tend to turn out).

The old Tom Clancy style died with Rainbow Six 3. None of them have been slow tactical shooters since then.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The only way that Outer Worlds is similar to New Vegas is that the dialogue gives you the up-close talking head view which is probably the least-loved aspect of that generation of Bethesda games. My favourite part of a New Vegas playthrough (any Fallout game really) is deciding which kind of weapons and armour I'm going to use and what kind of perks I'm going to use to build my character, and Outer Worlds doesn't have any of that. It has generic tiered weapons with shared ammo types, like two kinds of armour, the perks are completely useless incremental upgrades instead of having build-defining effects, and the combat is incredibly easy (unless you play on Hard in which case it alternates between being sort of easy and getting one-shotted by the boss-type enemies).

I understand that they could not have done something with the scope of New Vegas, but they could have at least looked to Fallout 1 for inspiration. At least that's a game that both Cain and Boyarsky worked on. It's nothing like New Vegas but has a very similar structure to Outer Worlds with a limited number of small zones that you can travel between, and still managed to have a large number of perks and skills that actually mattered and challenging combat. My massive disappointment in Outer Worlds is not because it's a travesty of a game, but because it's one relatively small mechanics overhaul away from being a really fun game with a lot of replay value (and super lame writing, but you can't win them all).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Volte posted:

The only way that Outer Worlds is similar to New Vegas is that the dialogue gives you the up-close talking head view which is probably the least-loved aspect of that generation of Bethesda games. My favourite part of a New Vegas playthrough (any Fallout game really) is deciding which kind of weapons and armour I'm going to use and what kind of perks I'm going to use to build my character, and Outer Worlds doesn't have any of that. It has generic tiered weapons with shared ammo types, like two kinds of armour, the perks are completely useless incremental upgrades instead of having build-defining effects, and the combat is incredibly easy (unless you play on Hard in which case it alternates between being sort of easy and getting one-shotted by the boss-type enemies).

I understand that they could not have done something with the scope of New Vegas, but they could have at least looked to Fallout 1 for inspiration. At least that's a game that both Cain and Boyarsky worked on. It's nothing like New Vegas but has a very similar structure to Outer Worlds with a limited number of small zones that you can travel between, and still managed to have a large number of perks and skills that actually mattered and challenging combat. My massive disappointment in Outer Worlds is not because it's a travesty of a game, but because it's one relatively small mechanics overhaul away from being a really fun game with a lot of replay value (and super lame writing, but you can't win them all).

Are there any mods for OW? Regardless of the actual quality of the game, there's always a massive scene that blows around Bethesdalikes but I've heard of nos such thing happening here.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
OW was the first time I’ve ever done a “dumb play through” in a rpg and there were plenty of funny moments. However the combat and weapon progression were very bland so I lost interest roughly half way through.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Outer Worlds is an Unreal Engine game which has no mod support out of the box unlike Bethesda's janky old engine. As much as people wish Bethesda would move on from their Gamebryo Frankenstein engine that they've been tacking onto since the Morrowind days, they'd liking be wishing away the mod scene there as well.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

A large amount of Outer Worlds players also played it through Microsoft Store (Game Pass specifically) because the publisher's Epic deal prevented a Steam release.

Microsoft Store allows no mods of any kind because its game files go into a super protected folder that cannot be accessed even by administrators. Even if there was a mod scene, lots of players would be entirely locked out of it.

Superanos fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 21, 2020

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Moddability on the Microsoft Store is possible on a per-game basis according to whether the publisher wants to allow it. I'm hoping that once the Microsoft/Zenimax thing is finalized and all those games go on the Microsoft Store / Game Pass, MS realizes that modding is a big part of what makes those games popular and enables it for them (preferably all their first party titles).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Volte posted:

Outer Worlds is an Unreal Engine game which has no mod support out of the box unlike Bethesda's janky old engine. As much as people wish Bethesda would move on from their Gamebryo Frankenstein engine that they've been tacking onto since the Morrowind days, they'd liking be wishing away the mod scene there as well.

I am honestly surprised to learn current Unreal Engines are hard to mod given the awesome mod scene around UT99 and 2k4. I guess everything decays.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I am honestly surprised to learn current Unreal Engines are hard to mod given the awesome mod scene around UT99 and 2k4. I guess everything decays.

It's more that due to the way UE4 is made devs have to specifically set up ways to do modding for a game, it doesn't come out of the box and doing things without that setup, while possible, are a lot harder for random people to get into. That's why Bethesda sticks with Gamebryo and its continual forks, the modkit they've maintained since Morrowind, while not easy necessarily can be pretty well intuited and tutorialized so anyone can make a mod. Of course, that leads to plenty of dreck but it also leads to some really good stuff that talented but otherwise modding uninterested people never would have made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm constantly surprised by people saying they want to play The Outer Worlds