Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Rainbow Six Siege is on sale. If I get it will I just get annihilated by people who’ve been playing for 5 years?

Nah the game is popular and has skill based match making, so if competitive shooters are your jam you are safe to try it regardless of skill level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Joe Man posted:

Dusk is currently in a Humble Bundle so it might be worth it if there was anything else in the bundle that you wanted:
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/thrills-chills

Is The Blackout Club like that choking game or

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Siege is all about knowing the maps and operator choice factors heavily into how a level is approached so do expect a bit of a learning curve in terms of "oh I had no idea they could do that/shoot through there/come at me from that side".

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Alan Wake is Good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I just started Disco Elysium and I'm really loving confused? All these skill checks and stuff and it's hard to tell exactly what is going on.

I’m typically the same way with games but I really came around to DE in the end. My advice is to pick one of the suggested archetypes at the beginning of the game and invest your skill points into the things that archetype is good at and just kind of role play the game that way. So like, if you pick the intelligent Sherlock mind palace archetype, you’re gonna be dogshit at anything that requires physical strength, but it’s ok, just roll with it; for the most part, failing checks is just part of the narrative.

Basically just pick a character type that sounds interesting and click your way through the game until pieces start falling into place. Don’t worry too much about what all the skills do right now, you’ll get a sense of what you’re most interested in as you play.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Alan Wake's biggest problem is that it really only has one gimmick that doesn't change throughout the game, so every encounter pretty much plays the same as the last. And its not like Max Payne where that single gimmick is "matrix dodge in slo-mo shooting guns at dudes THIS ROCKS."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Someone judge me on my cart for the sale:

Terminator: Resistance: 24$, appealing as it's based on T1+2 and none of the sequels.
Sacred Gold: 2$, a full set
New Tricks for Old Gods: 1$: weird
Transport Fever 9$: the second one is expensive this one isn't and I wanna check it out
Xenomarine 4$: didn't get it last sale, regretted it
Death Crown 4$: same as above, weird RTS

Anything good/bad/obviously missing? I'm not sticking to a spooky game theme this year as I'm watching spooky movies instead. Did you know that Halloween owns as a movie, but Ghosts of Mars is hot garbage that I kind of loved?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Terminator: Resistance: 24$, appealing as it's based on T1+2 and none of the sequels.

Janky, tons of fun, and made by people who really, really appreciate the first two terminator movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That is not helpful because a lot of those awful Slender clones get really good reviews from tweens who saw their favorite yelling streamer play it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
due process

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i bought darkwood was surprised to see this game that looks pretty simple is some how 8gigs

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Here's a couple sale recommendations for y'all.

Furi (75% off) is an excellent boss rush beat em up. Do you like big ol' intense boss fights with far too many phases and health bars? Good news, Furi is entirely that. It's also incredibly stylish and has a great vaporwave soundtrack that includes tracks by Carpenter Brut, Toxic Avenger, Danger and Waveshaper. It's very good and very cheap right now!

MO: Astray (40% off) is a fun platformer with some of the best pixel art I've ever seen, a unique movement gimmick (because you are a slime and move pretty much entirelt by bouncing) and an intriguing story. It's gone completely under the radar and absolutely should get more attention and love.

Hollow Knight (50% off) how have you not already played hollow knight it's loving incredible. play hollow knight. do it now

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Hades or Noita

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Flavahbeast posted:

Hades or Noita

Noita is cool, but Hades has a lot more content and is also good.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

If it's a toss up between those two Hades. Noita is neat but Hades is really good and polished.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

barkbell posted:

due process

Game is very good

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
So there's no gimmick to this sale and the discounts kinda suck, right

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

Furi (75% off) is an excellent boss rush beat em up. Do you like big ol' intense boss fights with far too many phases and health bars? Good news, Furi is entirely that. It's also incredibly stylish and has a great vaporwave soundtrack that includes tracks by Carpenter Brut, Toxic Avenger, Danger and Waveshaper. It's very good and very cheap right now!

I have slam picked this, thank you!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Flavahbeast posted:

Hades or Noita

Noita if you want something more emergent and sandboxy. Hades if you want better action and balance. Both are excellent though

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Flavahbeast posted:

Hades or Noita

hades, but both are good.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What was the consensus with Doom Eternal again? 50% off, but I remember initial impressions being it's hard, there's a lot more complexity in juggling the weapon switching and there's "forced" weapons, for better or worse.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Doom Eternal is really good but it’s an FPS character action game in disguise, so you might not enjoy it if you don’t appreciate the plate spinning aspect of managing a lot of tools at once or will like it immensely once you do master the systems.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

StrixNebulosa posted:

Someone judge me on my cart for the sale:

Sacred Gold: 2$, a full set

There's a guide on Steam to patch it with community patches and modernise the camera and controls. Recommended and almost mandatory I think.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's not a great game, but it has some fans

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Artelier posted:

What was the consensus with Doom Eternal again? 50% off, but I remember initial impressions being it's hard, there's a lot more complexity in juggling the weapon switching and there's "forced" weapons, for better or worse.

it's the last doom but with a few extra buttons to keep things twitch and fun

it's good but it does need a half-decent rig

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dragon Age: Inquisition spoilers in quote:

Holy poo poo, this is the first time I'm actually kind of right with one of these random predictions.

e: from the way it ended, I assume Dragon Age 4 will be about stopping Solas, with Tevinter being heavily involved somehow.

Kind of a shame about Iron Bull casually betraying you and then dying like a chump. I thought we were friends.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 30, 2020

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

The start is super slow, so don't let that turn you off of it. The game picks up massively after a certain point, but the intro sequence is crazy long.

I somewhat agree with your statement in the first 100 minutes I have played, but the story already has me super interested in what's going on. Really looking forward to seeing how it evolves.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's the last doom but with a few extra buttons to keep things twitch and fun

it's good but it does need a half-decent rig

It runs better for me on my 1070 than the last game did, didn't click with me like the first but honestly the optimization is godlike

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

is alan wake worth the time if I liked control?

It's worth a play-through for a Steven King inspired Twin Peaks town setting story about old unknowable powers and pulling at the strings of strange going ons to find the truth.

It was episodic before episodic became a thing, went really big into trying to build out the lore and backstory from collectibles and things, and while playing you will absolutely get the feeling like "this seems like a last minute change" at certain points.

If you want a way better Twin Peaks game, there's Deadly Premonition, which is literally Twin Peaks: The Game.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ragequit posted:

I somewhat agree with your statement in the first 100 minutes I have played, but the story already has me super interested in what's going on. Really looking forward to seeing how it evolves.

Also this game is gorgeous Goddamn

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

pretty mixed opinions on alan wake here, guess I'll sleep on it, it's on sale for another serveral days

Artelier posted:

it's not as good as doom 2016 because they added some annoying stuff and the plot/characterization is dumb, but it's good and worth playing

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Volte posted:

That classic childish concept, cubes

E: Speaking of boardgames, I just played through the first two chapters of Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon and it has some serious "Sunless Sea the Boardgame" vibes. Heavy exploration/CYOA focus with branching and shifting narratives driven by attributes and status flags, overlayed with a survival/resource system with permadeath (and option story-mode rules). The combat is much, much better than Sunless Sea, though - It's a pretty unique card-chaining minigame.

I was pretty disappointed to discover that the related PC title is Slay the Spire clone instead, even if it sounds like a pretty competent StS-alike!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 30, 2020

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
My buddy has a Steam account, but no matter what settings we've tried flipping for him I cannot see his game or wish list. Has anyone else had similar trouble?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

nordichammer posted:

My buddy has a Steam account, but no matter what settings we've tried flipping for him I cannot see his game or wish list. Has anyone else had similar trouble?

Profile > Edit Profile > Privacy Settings

All of his are set to public or friends only? If they are then I have no idea

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Kind of a shame about Iron Bull casually betraying you and then dying like a chump. I thought we were friends.

Maybe he would’ve been a better friend if you hadn’t left all his friends to die. :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think if you want to play a spooky (but not horror) game you could do a hell of a lot worse than Alan Wake.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

SirSamVimes posted:

Alan Wake is Good.

It wasn't even good when it was released.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xeras posted:

It wasn't even good when it was released.

It was, and still is

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lobotomy Corp seems cool now that I realized it's a management sim with cute robots and weird monsters and not like, surgeon simulator or something. can anyone confirm/deny this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Acerbatus posted:

Lobotomy Corp seems cool now that I realized it's a management sim with cute robots and weird monsters and not like, surgeon simulator or something. can anyone confirm/deny this?

they're not robots, they're living, breathing people that may or may not die horrible deaths.

It's SCP as an electricity company.