Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ultrafilter posted:

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

I love this game and everyone should get it, it's like $5 and not that long.

I feel bad for the dev for how things went for him. he was going to make another Momodora in 3d, people hated it, made a different game in 2d and... Nobody bought it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yami Fenrir posted:

they're not robots, they're living, breathing people that may or may not die horrible deaths.

It's SCP as an electricity company.

I'm sure all the cute robots living, breathing, fleshy people will die horrible deaths at some point, just wondering how it held up from the gameplay perspective.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

I'm sure all the cute robots living, breathing, fleshy people will die horrible deaths at some point, just wondering how it held up from the gameplay perspective.

the flavor is absolutely on-point but the gameplay, while engaging, is extremely trial-and-error intensive

basically every day in the game starts with you poking your new abomination until you figure out how it works and then resetting the day so you can use the knowledge you got without any of the horrific causalities. it absolutely isn't meant to be iron-manned and the loss of any agents is essentially a failure-state, causing you to have to restart the day from the beginning which is especially a pain in the rear end when you were like a minute away from closing out the shift

some anomalies are absolute pains in the asses that you can get way before your facility can safely handle them - and since anomaly selection is semi-random (you pick from a random set of three every day, and all you have to go off of is a short flavor text blurb that doesn't tell you anything about the danger level) it's entirely possible for you to screw yourself over when you don't know what to avoid or prioritize

the game has mechanics to lessen that sting a bit - every five days, a "repository" save gets created, and at any time you can revert back to that save while keeping your knowledge, mission completions, and equipment; but it still feels bad to realize you've gotten yourself stuck in an awful situation and you need to erase the last three days to stop the rest of your game from being an uphill battle

all in all it's rewarding when things go well but spending multiple hours trying to complete a single late-game day kinda burnt me out

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I know there's a thread for games like that but Autonauts is unexpectedly fun and engaging in the Factorio-like way. You are a single (I assume) human building robots to colonize a planet. The main mechanic is that can teach these bots to perform simple actions by performing the actions yourself first (basically light in-game programming) I thought it looked kinda of lame and (yeah) dumb at first but the loop of creating production chains and optimizing them is really, really fun.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Acerbatus posted:

I love this game and everyone should get it, it's like $5 and not that long.

I feel bad for the dev for how things went for him. he was going to make another Momodora in 3d, people hated it, made a different game in 2d and... Nobody bought it. :(

Risk of Rain 2 really should've gotten people to stop knee-jerk dismissing 3D games from 2D devs but alas.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Artelier posted:

What was the consensus with Doom Eternal again? 50% off, but I remember initial impressions being it's hard, there's a lot more complexity in juggling the weapon switching and there's "forced" weapons, for better or worse.
Do you think calling demons "mortally challenged" is hilarious?

Because the game sure does.

lordfrikk posted:

I know there's a thread for games like that but Autonauts is unexpectedly fun and engaging in the Factorio-like way. You are a single (I assume) human building robots to colonize a planet. The main mechanic is that can teach these bots to perform simple actions by performing the actions yourself first (basically light in-game programming) I thought it looked kinda of lame and (yeah) dumb at first but the loop of creating production chains and optimizing them is really, really fun.
Autonauts Tip: You can always just make another robot if you need to. In fact, you can set up a chain of robots to produce the intermediate products and make a robot FOR you! Setting up production so there's always at least one of your best bot upgrades and an unused bot lying around is quite helpful. Or making robots whose only purpose in life is to follow a sign around and dump construction materials on any blueprints you set up inside the sign's radius.

You can also build crates/walls/floorings/etc and then press the "delete" key at them and they'll go into stock to be instantly built later.

"Until X is full/empty/not full/not empty" conditionals are also very useful.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

It was funny in 2016 where they basically turned UAC into scientology and ran with it. Yeah, the writing in Eternal is a lot worse - but who the hell plays Doom for the writing anyway.

It's a weaker game than 2016 to be sure but still enjoyable enough.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
somebody apparently does, otherwise they wouldn't be trying to shove so much stupid backstory into it. What's wrong with "demons kill pet rabbit, rabbit owner kills demons", it's a tale old as time.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the Doom Eternal responses. The story criticisms make me more hesitant because I loved the storytelling in Doom 2016 which was basically:

Samuel Hayden: Hey so this important thing needs to happare you listening why are you smashing th-

It was great, I loved it.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Artelier posted:

Thanks for the Doom Eternal responses. The story criticisms make me more hesitant because I loved the storytelling in Doom 2016 which was basically:

Samuel Hayden: Hey so this important thing needs to happare you listening why are you smashing th-

It was great, I loved it.

This is the story in doom eternal except it's everyone telling doom guy hey maybe don't do that while he's in the process of doing it. I also think the game play is superior because you no longer have to hunt around the arenas for health and ammo if you get in trouble.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zereth posted:

It's funny once or twice, but 2016 did a much better job on the corporate satire without being repetitive and hitting you over the head with it. Gameplay wise, it's different. I'm hesitant to call it a step up, but I do like it more once you get used to it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Doom 2016 was funny as hell because nobody saw the story coming, such as it were. Doom Eternal story-writing suffers somewhat from having started to take itself seriously, even if it still tries to stick to a humorous tone.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I keep trying to play Doom 2016 but the number of times you get locked in a room and have to shoot waves of enemies turns me off. Which is upsetting because when it's not doing that its one of the best FPS games I've ever played.

I hope Eternal got rid of that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think it kind of doubled down on that, if anything, including a special type of miniboss enemy that you have to deal with repeatedly.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

The first person to quote this post will get a free STEAM key for The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope via PM.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

D1E posted:

The first person to quote this post will get a free STEAM key for The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope via PM.

Sure, what is that?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sure, what is that?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1194630/The_Dark_Pictures_Anthology_Little_Hope/

Sent!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Got it, thanks! And woah, this looks like it's gonna scare the pants off of me. Thanks!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is there any obvious workaround to a crash that keeps happening in my Doom (2016) campaign, at the same place every time? I was able to get past it with a different campaign slot but I can't go forward in my current one for some reason.

Using a GTX 1660 if that matters.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I keep trying to play Doom 2016 but the number of times you get locked in a room and have to shoot waves of enemies turns me off. Which is upsetting because when it's not doing that its one of the best FPS games I've ever played.

It absolutely did not.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

ho ho ho boy did it ever NOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9ZsFT_eqXY

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I hate it when shooting games make you shoot things to advance

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Joe Man posted:

So there's no gimmick to this sale and the discounts kinda suck, right

The Halloween sale only covers games with a Halloween theme. If that's not what you're interested in, then yeah, you're not going to see much. But if you are, you can get some fantastic games for cheap.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I love it when the rollercoaster comes to a screeching halt and only starts back up again after I've solved a Rubik's cube.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hwurmp posted:

Rip and tear!

No, not like that

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hwurmp posted:

https://twitter.com/dril_gpt2/status/1318139177838456832

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Most of the arenas in Eternal were very large with multiple rooms and floors, I really don't get why people are so hung up on them.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

:perfect:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the dreadful burden of optional weak points tearing at my soul

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I liked Doom Eternal it just seemed apropos :shobon:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
More like Doom Maternal

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i like to run and gun and think painkiller-esque arena waves are dumb, even if they're designed like Q3A maps for constant movement/routing (of course it's much worse when it's a flat rear end box like shadow warrior)

it should just be a once in a long while thing rather than a "now would be a good time to read donations" every 10-15 minutes

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

twistedmentat posted:

They’re shooters that force you to eliminate all enemies. The idea is to give you a series of combat arenas against specific types of enemy. You see that kind of design more commonly with stuff like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta or Revengeance. Doom is more like those than other FPS.

The Doomslayer leaves no witnesses to his rampage.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

dmboogie posted:

Maybe he would’ve been a better friend if you hadn’t left all his friends to die. :colbert:

Oh, is that the trigger? Well, gently caress him then. Iron Bull more like Iron Bullshit.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They’re shooters that force you to eliminate all enemies. The idea is to give you a series of combat arenas against specific types of enemy. You see that kind of design more commonly with stuff like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta or Revengeance. Doom is more like those than other FPS.

The Doomslayer leaves no witnesses to his rampage.

It's just the pacing, it's almost as bad as the Darksiders sequels for that, in that you start to feel the world open up into a large open space and reflexively sigh "oy, here we go again". It's so relentless in how it shuttles you between locked-in space to locked-in space, you start getting sick of it and thinking "but I just want to *progress*". And oh hey you'd better find those glory kill animations endlessly satisfying because you have to grind through them again and again to not run out of health and ammo.

I mean this is the thing, games are supposed to be escapist, actually HAVING to save the world by killing every single demon would be a loving grind of a chore, and the game starts to feel like that even to a completist because it takes away your choice in how you play. Let me tank my completion percentage for maintaining forward momentum if that's how I'm feeling at that moment rather than constantly insisting I can't eat my pudding if I don't finish my meat.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

The Halloween sale only covers games with a Halloween theme. If that's not what you're interested in, then yeah, you're not going to see much. But if you are, you can get some fantastic games for cheap.

Not true.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

drat, Intergalactic Fishing must get spookier than I thought

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Isomermaid posted:

And oh hey you'd better find those glory kill animations endlessly satisfying because you have to grind through them again and again to not run out of health and ammo.
Yeah, most of the problems people have with Doom Eternal are completely up to personal taste, but this is one thing I'll actually blame the game for: they completely overdid it with the limitations to how much ammo you can carry at one time and forcing you to constantly restock by doing glory kills over and over. It utterly kills the pacing of the game to me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I found that brief pause during a Glory Kill to be a much needed moment to breath what with how hectic some of the fights felt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you have to chainsaw more than two or three imps/zombies in a typical fight then you are using too much ammo