Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
*pounding fists on table* Demon's Souls Demon's Souls DEMON'S SOULS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Kinda nice to see Sony just say like “yeah the decision to do this is pretty cut and dry”.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Days Gone, exclusively announced for PC in a GQ magazine interview.

Arleneth
Apr 28, 2010
Hopefully they are not EGS permanent exclusives.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
gently caress yeah, I was just starting to get into Days Gone before I got back into PC gaming and couldn’t take the load times anymore. Like, not only have SSDs spoiled me but Days Gone had truly awful load times on the base model PS4.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Days Gone, the game with the main character who usually talks like he just ran down a flight of the stairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-iG1CnDf8

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 23, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Arleneth posted:

Hopefully they are not EGS permanent exclusives.

The precedent set with Horizon Zero Dawn was that Sony games launch on Steam and EGS simultaneously

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mierenneuker posted:

Days Gone, the game with the main character who usually talks like he just ran down a flight of the stairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-iG1CnDf8

Rapists, thieves and murderers get a bad rap imo.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is what you get for casting Crashdown of all people.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm sure it's been done to death, but it's amazing how a company like Blizzard can gently caress up remastering something as simple a WC3. And then, on top of that, just completely abandon it instead of making it better.

Just like... how? What a complete and utter failure.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The most impressive part is them loving the original up at the same time

Any copy of the game gets patched to Reforged without the graphics update

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm sure it's been done to death, but it's amazing how a company like Blizzard can gently caress up remastering something as simple a WC3. And then, on top of that, just completely abandon it instead of making it better.

I preordered this based on how great the Starcraft Remaster was, forgot about it, saw how bad it was when it came out and forgot to get a refund for it.

So it's forever inked on me as a moment of shame and regret. Excited to see how bad they gently caress up Diablo 2 remaster.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sony should port Puppeteer

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sab669 posted:

Would be cool if it doesn't take 3 years for the next Horizon Zero Whatever to make its way to PC

If Forbidden West came out for PC soon after its PS5 release, I'd basically have zero reason to own a PS5. Which is why I suspect Sony will not do this!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Internet Explorer posted:

Speaking of Blizzard Remasters, has anyone played the console classics? I was shocked as hell when I saw that they were selling a package that includes The Lost Vikings, Blackthorne, and Rock and Roll Racing. Wondering if they're any good (especially unsure about RNR racing given the state of music licensing these days).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

If Forbidden West came out for PC soon after its PS5 release, I'd basically have zero reason to own a PS5. Which is why I suspect Sony will not do this!

I can’t see Sony doing big tent pole games on PC but when it’s something like Days Gone that underperformed I could see them hoping to recoup some more of their investment.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not expecting a simultaneous release, but a year delay would be pretty neat.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Speaking of Blizzard Remasters, has anyone played the console classics? I was shocked as hell when I saw that they were selling a package that includes The Lost Vikings, Blackthorne, and Rock and Roll Racing. Wondering if they're any good (especially unsure about RNR racing given the state of music licensing these days).

I believe I read they did brand new covers for the music in RNRR, and also told everyone to turn the music off, even the MIDI versions, while streaming or else you're probably hosed.

Pretty sure all three of those games have been free on some crusty old corner of Bnet for ages, but hey, Blizzard has to find some way to make money without actually making anything new.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

John Murdoch posted:

I believe I read they did brand new covers for the music in RNRR, and also told everyone to turn the music off, even the MIDI versions, while streaming or else you're probably hosed.

Pretty sure all three of those games have been free on some crusty old corner of Bnet for ages, but hey, Blizzard has to find some way to make money without actually making anything new.

Huh, interesting. I didn't think the old versions were playable on bnet, they just had a section where their existence was acknowledged lmao

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Humble just sent an email saying that Control will be on Humble Choice March 2nd, along with Elex and Chimera Squad.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

repiv posted:

The precedent set with Horizon Zero Dawn was that Sony games launch on Steam and EGS simultaneously

HZD has been one the few, though. Death Stranding and the David Cage joints were all EGS one-year exclusives. Tetris Effect and Kingdom Hearts too, though those aren’t published by Sony.

On the plus side, nothing has been a permanent EGS exclusive!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stickman posted:

HZD has been one the few, though. Death Stranding and the David Cage joints were all EGS one-year exclusives. Tetris Effect and Kingdom Hearts too, though those aren’t published by Sony.

On the plus side, nothing has been a permanent EGS exclusive!

Death Stranding launched on Steam.

E:Detroit Become Human was a 6 month exclusive, too.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 23, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah DS launched on Steam and EGS. And the Quantic Dream games on PC are self-published I think? Idk that Sony controls those.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think Death Stranding was ever at one point considered a Sony exclusive, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Anno posted:

Yeah DS launched on Steam and EGS. And the Quantic Dream games on PC are self-published I think? Idk that Sony controls those.

The Steam page shows Quantic Dream as the publisher, yeah, it’s not a Sony one.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I double checked and Death Stranding/Quantic Dreams stuff were originally published by Sony but then handed off to other publishers for the PC releases

Horizon Zero Dawn is the odd one out as Sony managed publishing the PC version as well

So going by precedent, if Sony manages the PC release of a game you'll probably get it on Steam straight away, otherwise YMMV

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't know, I think even if Sony handed the publishing off to someone else, they probably wouldn't allow them the authority to negotiate exclusivity contracts on their own initiative. If one of Sony's games had a period of exclusivity, it's because they wanted it to have one.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It’d be kinda weird imo if Jim was like “Yeah our release for HZD, problematic as it was, ended up being really successful such that we’re going to bring even more games to PC, but not the store where people actually buy games.” I suppose if the check is big enough it doesn’t matter, I guess we’ll see.

Also lol that’s going to be Control normal edition in the Humble monthly right?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

repiv posted:

I double checked and Death Stranding/Quantic Dreams stuff were originally published by Sony but then handed off to other publishers for the PC releases

Horizon Zero Dawn is the odd one out as Sony managed publishing the PC version as well

So going by precedent, if Sony manages the PC release of a game you'll probably get it on Steam straight away, otherwise YMMV

That’s definitely more promising, then! (Also, big whoops on DS’s release, thanks for the correction folks)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Anno posted:

Steam only has the Ultimate Edition, so I doubt it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Huh, interesting. I didn't think the old versions were playable on bnet, they just had a section where their existence was acknowledged lmao

I could easily be wrong (maybe conflating it with how Bethesda offered the first two Elder Scrolls games for free for ages) and I have no idea if they were in any kind of functional condition either.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Steam only has the Ultimate Edition, so I doubt it.

I just assume it’ll be an EGS key.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/DreadXP_/status/1364281850886299649

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Anno posted:

I just assume it’ll be an EGS key.
That would be a hilariously bad move, so you might be right.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anno posted:

It’d be kinda weird imo if Jim was like “Yeah our release for HZD, problematic as it was, ended up being really successful such that we’re going to bring even more games to PC, but not the store where people actually buy games.” I suppose if the check is big enough it doesn’t matter, I guess we’ll see.

Wasn't the Borderlands 3 launch the biggest in the franchise's history? As much as internet communities love to rage about EGS the truth is consumers at large just really don't give a poo poo if they have to install another app to buy a game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Nutt posted:

All three of them were released as freeware back in 2013-2014, but now that this collection is out it looks like the download links were quietly removed.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140113131237/https://us.battle.net/account/download/ (this only has Blackthorne, later archives of the page are corrupt)

The old site for those games has also been taken down and now redirects to the Blizzard store: http://www.blizzard.com/games/legacy

However, the files are still being hosted and can be requested!

Blackthorne
The Lost Vikings
Rock & Roll Racing

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That would be a hilariously bad move, so you might be right.

It's only the ultimate edition on EGS now as well.
This was incorrect.

I think Days Gone could end up as a year EGS exclusive it seems kind of mediocre, don't think it has much of a PC audience waiting in the wings, and it's using Unreal. If the money is right I think Sony would take it.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 23, 2021

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Sab669 posted:

Wasn't the Borderlands 3 launch the biggest in the franchise's history? As much as internet communities love to rage about EGS the truth is consumers at large just really don't give a poo poo if they have to install another app to buy a game.
Wasn't the "Borderlands 3 launch the biggest in the franchise's history" counting all platforms and including Epic's upfront payment? I'm pretty sure biggest launch was true, while "most consumer PC game launch sales" was never said because it was not true.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sab669 posted:

The Borderlands 3 release was multiplatform and from what I can find, of the 8 million copies it sold before it was released on Steam, 2 million copies were on EGS. That's hardly a small number, certainly.

On the other hand, Borderlands 2 sold 11 of its 22 million copies sold just on Steam alone. Then again, it has been out for a lot longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Sab669 posted:

I think big games can break through, yeah, so and obviously and Sony first party title will be big, so I don’t completely discount it. But Epic themselves put out numbers for 2020 that sure didn’t seem to indicate that people spent much money in their store.