Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

quote:

:words: about Last Epoch
Eh, bummer. Thanks for saving me some money. I'll keep it wishlisted and see if the same complaints are around post launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cardiovorax posted:

That's a very strange transliteration, then, because as far as I can tell that's not at all what that word means. It's Greek for "foreign" or "from the outside."
Allogenes, 'the Outsider', is the central figure of eponymous gnostic texts - half-divine beings who are of this world but do not belong to it: someone who through personal insight became divine, or who was born divine, but who are still trapped within corporeal existence in spite of their divine nature.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Orv posted:

Last Epoch is a really fluid, fun to play ARPG stuck inside the bloated, rotting corpse of a KMMO.

If that is a meaningless distinction to you, know that it is simply a very bad time the moment you finish leveling.

eh, its only about as punishing as path of exile. you're overstating this a bit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ghostlight posted:

Allogenes, 'the Outsider', is the central figure of eponymous gnostic texts - half-divine beings who are of this world but do not belong to it: someone who through personal insight became divine, or who was born divine, but who are still trapped within corporeal existence in spite of their divine nature.
Ah, right, that makes a lot more sense, then. I was kind of hung up on the whole "raw material" thing.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cardiovorax posted:

That's a very strange transliteration, then, because as far as I can tell that's not at all what that word means. It's Greek for "foreign" or "from the outside."

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah, there's some apparently-deliberate Gnostic theming that the game has, that's made more explicit by certain transliterations (See, for example, the seven archons), but you lose some other stuff in exchange.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Fruits of the sea posted:

Genshin Impact honestly sounds pretty fun but I know I’d end up dropping it after a couple weeks just like I do every gacha pooping game I put on my phone. It’s crazy how much the grind ramps up after a certain point in gacha games.

That's actually the best way to play Genshin Impact. Just run around until your bored and wait until they release a new area.

The cool thing I like is that at certain points in the game you have to do a extra quest to raise the difficulty level of the world (higher difficulty means better item drops/materials need to level characters & weapons) . At one point I stayed at AR 35 (basically a ranking of how much of the world you've done/played) to just dick around and explore while still gaining AR exp. There is a ton of explorable content that is more then just fetch quests so its worth it to try it out for a Breath of the Wild type game that can be played on the PC/phone.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oh man, Valheim's second half is awful, you're absolutely right. It was an easy 8/10 for me all the way through the first two areas but the swamp sucked poo poo, the mountain was the swamp except with cliff racers, and the plains just threw away the crafting and resource stuff and went "Hey, you know the lovely combat that keeps interrupting the fun parts? What if that was the main thing?"

I'm hoping it gets ironed out, because EA, but since they've had years to iterate on the experience I'm assuming what we have now is about what the devs want, which is kinda disappointing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

Last Epoch is a really fluid, fun to play ARPG stuck inside the bloated, rotting corpse of a KMMO.

If that is a meaningless distinction to you, know that it is simply a very bad time the moment you finish leveling.

Wait, are you sure you aren't thinking of Lost Ark?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Games I Have Played Recently, in Descending Order of Quality:

Fights in Tight Spaces is in early access and holy christ this game is good. I'm terrified of what it will do to my free time when it drops into 1.0. Nine hours in it already! It's Into the Breach but with cards so you can't quickly solve every board, and the animations are slick and the writing good. I load it up for focused punching mans and it's a real good time.

Valfaris is a 2D brawler/shooter that feels EXTREMELY warhammer 40k even though it isn't. You fight and kill lots of metal dogs or soldiers and enjoy the metal soundtrack and it's just slick and grungy and fun. I was surprised at how fun this is, and I'll be back for more.

Outbuddies DX - A really nice underwater metroidvania with some neat new mechanics. The writing is bad but vanishes after the opening cutscene (so far) and I spent a happy forty minutes last night navigating the labyrinth. Swimming is a big thing in this one - but there's no breath meter and you can strafe underwater so it feels as good as being on land. You also have a robot buddy who can scout any map and can move around blocks and it just felt really nice? I want to play this one some more!

Broken Lines - I'm playing the WWI campaign first, the one with no supernatural elements, and it's solid! It's tactics broken into seconds - you set waypoints and orders (similar to Doorkickers) but the key here is that you cannot pause while the orders are running. You have to give the enemies a look, the cover a look, and then make your best decisions and let it run and pray you didn't mess it up. Fairly simple but really satisfying with lovely production values. Do skip the tutorial, though - it's covered in the main campaign but faster.

Manifold Garden - Antichamber reborn! REALLY clever puzzling with how you shift angles... but why is it so low? It's because it gave me motion sickness with how the puzzles work. :rip:

UNLOVED - Great ambiance of being in a spooky horror basement looking for doodads to unlock doors, and I can see why it has positive reviews, but the difficulty cranked up in a way that made me feel it's balanced for more players and eh. I have better shooters to play.

X-Team - forgotten ukranian RTS/tactical thing? This is my jam! Up until I hit the racism. Welp, nevermind. Also it's the brownest game. It's from 2008 and I knew the stereotype of games from that era is that they're brown but my GOD it's brown. And green. And grey. Where is the color?!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Wait, are you sure you aren't thinking of Lost Ark?

No but also! Last Epoch has a bunch of weird hardcore nonsense busywork style of old ARPG design at the endgame in addition to some really bad choices around upgrading/rerolling, hence the KMMO dig.

Lost Ark is literally a KMMO ARPG and is being published by Amazon at some point here in the west. :v:

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Thanks to the posters in this thread that have talked up Hidden Object Games in the past. Sorry I don't remember who specifically, but it's a genre I never would've tried otherwise, and it turns out I really enjoy them!

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam is my favorite Hidden Object Game, but I usually fail finding the heads hidden in the jungle in time

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

Lost Ark is literally a KMMO ARPG and is being published by Amazon at some point here in the west. :v:
Oh, word? First I'm learning of this, cool, been looking forward to it even though I'm sure the KMMO part will eventually drive me away.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Oh, word? First I'm learning of this, cool, been looking forward to it even though I'm sure the KMMO part will eventually drive me away.

Was announced like last week so not too surprising. And yeah, same.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Wow, no poo poo? Last Epoch looked like it was going to be good too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't know from the endgame, but what few hours I've played of LE is cool. Well, mostly I like its ridiculous skill system, where every single ability has its own skill tree. That kind of stuff has always been more the draw for me than the loot aspects of ARPGs.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I feel like there would be some easy fixes for the devs to implement and it would be a pretty good game. No telling if they're willing to do it though. Player base seems to have a big "git gud"/I don't have a full time job crowd.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Why is it so hard to make a decent ARPG? I was fiending so bad I reinstalled Diablo 3. Other than Grim Dawn, the rest of them seem like such garbage. Wolcen seemed like it was on the right track, but what an absolute trainwreck that was.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Internet Explorer posted:

Why is it so hard to make a decent ARPG? I was fiending so bad I reinstalled Diablo 3. Other than Grim Dawn, the rest of them seem like such garbage. Wolcen seemed like it was on the right track, but what an absolute trainwreck that was.

Yeah I was jonesing as well and was looking at Wolcen on Saturday in my library like "Maaaaybe it's good now???" but didn't muster up enough courage to try.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm very fond of Van Helsing Final Cut and Inquisitor Martyr myself.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

explosivo posted:

Yeah I was jonesing as well and was looking at Wolcen on Saturday in my library like "Maaaaybe it's good now???" but didn't muster up enough courage to try.

The recent reviews say it's still a mess.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm very fond of Van Helsing Final Cut and Inquisitor Martyr myself.

I keep meaning to try Van Helsing. Maybe once I am sick of D3 again. I hadn't looked carefully at Inquisitor Martyr, thanks for the heads up. I thought it did poorly at release but it seems like a B- these days. Are all the million little micro-DLCs worth getting?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Victor Vran is a lot more fun than I'd have thought, I can recommend it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

- Focus on the leveling experience instead of endgame.
- Prioritizes skills or items at the expense of the unique and multilayered interactions between items and gear that make ARPGs fun.
- Usually some overly ambitious tertiary system that ends up being pointless.
- Classes lack a distinct visual profile.
- Fail to include adaptations (rerolling gear, instanced loot) that have already been figured out for the last 10 years.

This is primarily why new ARPGs tend to suck, they all fail in some way to rise above what came before them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Why is it so hard to make a decent ARPG?

That's actually like, a good question?

I hate ARPGs after what Diablo2 turned into (and all of it's totally *drivel* contemporary clones), but I do know that there's a massive loving market for them, they have a huge tail-end of player retention (if not quite technically a "forever-game", they are pretty drat close), are trivial to bilk money out of the willing player base, and are an established genre with known-popular/good mechanics.

I keep seeing various ARPGs being pushed on Steam and have no personal interest in them, but I kind of get the impression that few games have managed to reach the success of D3 and PoE. I wonder why?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I want more ARPGs like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I want a rerelease of the Dark Alliance games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

That's actually like, a good question?

I hate ARPGs after what Diablo2 turned into (and all of it's totally *drivel* contemporary clones), but I do know that there's a massive loving market for them, they have a huge tail-end of player retention (if not quite technically a "forever-game", they are pretty drat close), are trivial to bilk money out of the willing player base, and are an established genre with known-popular/good mechanics.

I keep seeing various ARPGs being pushed on Steam and have no personal interest in them, but I kind of get the impression that few games have managed to reach the success of D3 and PoE. I wonder why?

Not googling this is going to bite me in this rear end but I'm not sure you actually give a poo poo about ARPGs if you hate D2 and everything that actually came after. That's like, four games maybe?

Also me being a stupid rear end in a top hat aside exquisite tea covered it pretty well.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 1, 2021

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

God, yeah. Ended up doing the same thing, reinstalled D3 last week and it'll probably last me until Season 23 hits and I can give the new Firebird set a try.
I never clicked with Grim Dawn or Titan Quest, they're way too slow and I just hate passive skills in ARPGs.

Givin posted:

This too. Dark Alliance was so loving good. :<

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Givin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXgaEGpfHc

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
lmao I forgot about that trailer

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Orv posted:

Not googling this is going to bite me in this rear end but I'm not sure you actually give a poo poo about ARPGs

I... I don't? I'm aware of them because I played their progenitors and my friend is in still the industry, but as you said I don't give a poo poo about the dozens of new ones Steam tries to sell me which is why I asked the thread.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

I... I don't? I'm aware of them because I played their progenitors and my friend is in still the industry, but as you said I don't give a poo poo about the dozens of new ones Steam tries to sell me which is why I asked the thread.

Yeah I misread a couple of the tenses in your post because sleepy brain. Sorry!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Serephina posted:

My 2 cents: I enjoy ARPGs (Diablo clones, Path of Exile, Van Helsing, etc) because they're great for podcasts. You can theory-craft a cool build and then put it into motion to weed-whack a thousand skeletons until you get a +5% weapon that makes you weed-whack faster and it makes the lizard brain happy. Number go up! Toss in bonuses like Van Helsing or Grim Dawn's stories - not great but fun - and it's a good time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I tried Chaosbane from the couch and it was... not great. I'm willing to give it a bit more time, but how you can make a Warhammer game feel dull, I will never know.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only bore.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I got to the "end game" of Chaosbane. It's not awful, but not good either. It is nice that they have multiple sets per class that play differently. Just seems like their end game systems/mechanics are not all that thought out or very interesting.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

main thing for me with ARPGs is active control and twitchy combat like victor vran. i don't like auto-attack, i don't like point and click, i want to pick up a controller and mash. that's why i love Ys Origin/Oath. but there's just not enough games like that

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

bamhand posted:

I got to the "end game" of Chaosbane. It's not awful, but not good either. It is nice that they have multiple sets per class that play differently. Just seems like their end game systems/mechanics are not all that thought out or very interesting.

Agreed, it just feels like a more bland version of Diablo 3 with very little content.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm not sure how to feel about the System Shock remake demo. It's kind of a mixed bag when it comes to what they updated and what they left exactly like in the original.

Basically it's nice to see this all-time classic looking like this:

But then the combat is still this:

And that's a VERY carefully chosen scene because of that visceral decapitation in the end, it really feels more like that first hit over and over. Basically imagine if they remade the original Wolfenstein with realistic graphics but the soldiers still behaved and moved around exactly like back then.

The same goes for having an inventory tetris (that the original SS didn't have) with 100 different useless items placed on shelves for you to throwaway immediately, having to endlessly destroy cameras in every room, a lot of the level design feeling very cramped in a video-gamey way. So it's like they updated some mechanics but left some outdated ones like in the original and then changed some outdated mechanics for newer...but still outdated versions. I'll still have fun playing it but it seems they were afraid to implement more modern ideas not to piss off the fans but at the same time the modernizations they went for still won't be enough for a mainstream player so the game sits in an awkward position gameplay-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

main thing for me with ARPGs is active control and twitchy combat like victor vran. i don't like auto-attack, i don't like point and click, i want to pick up a controller and mash. that's why i love Ys Origin/Oath. but there's just not enough games like that

Nioh 2 is a fantastic Action-RPG and has way too many systems that you can get lost in its the only thing even remotely Diablo like that i actually enjoy and god bless Team Ninja for bouncing back after Ninja Gaiden 3.