Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There’s a point in dark souls 3 where the path splits into left and right, and you just silently fail a long NPC quest if you go right instead of left first, even though the quest then requires you to go right after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
They have been streamlining systems while progressively worsening the requirements for side quests. Please look forward to Elden Ring where an otherwise uninteractable character from the start of the game who drops the equivalent of the Drake Sword must be left alive and fed twelve mcguffins, all completely unrelated and unmarked, to unlock the ability to do the good ending.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DatonKallandor posted:

Or ruining backstabs because of the dumb PvP.

The backstabs were great in 2, but I always gently caress up the ripostes

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://steamcommunity.com/app/9480/discussions/0/3149682775496734153/

This is so incredibly sad. Holy crap.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

gently caress cancer :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well poo poo.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Life takes no prisoners.

Much respect for all his work.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

IMO dark souls side-quests went out on a real high note with

https://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Show+your+Humanity

just a true capstone achievement to From's quest design in the series

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Orv posted:

Ohhhh, I thought it was about the whole darkness thing, my bad. I'm not too bothered either way but yeah fair enough.

This remains really silly for me to see people constantly level against 2. It definitely has a couple of the worst areas in From's modern catalog - first half of Iron Keep and second half of Earthen Peak in Scholar - but literally every Souls game and Bloodborne have many sections of unannounced group combat and really lovely ambush placements. It's their entire thing, check every corner or get smacked and just occasionally gently caress you anyhow.

Some of the tools are used in other From games, aye, but the pieces are different and arranged differently and that's what matters. Most other From games don't stack giant unflinching assholes together as often, often intermingling them with smaller dudes you can fight more reasonably instead (not that it doesn't happen sometimes- I too remember the Kapra and Taurus Show and the Fire Sea of Dragon Asses) and when you hit a tripwire and summon a room of dudes, that room of dudes isn't six archers that are also Silver Knights or a pack of super-fast not-doggos stored in three different buildings over two floors. A lot of From games will make you dodge stuff while trying to cross difficult space, but that difficult space isn't usually hard-to-parce visual masking with a bunch of off-sync spellcasters throwing spells in a staggered wave.

Like, Bloodborne uses similar placement at times but the difference is that it does it with a bunch of easy to flinch small dudes who's ranged attacks are far slower and more manageable in a game where if you get to killing fast enough you can quickly recover a large chunk of that health you lost. Your character is more agile, far more capable offensively due to the design of both the hunter and the enemies, and the encounters themselves more tightly designed with enemies mixed in better with each other instead of giant packs of the same enemy causing the same problem making order of operations for the player incredibly difficult.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Locke posted:

Some of the tools are used in other From games, aye, but the pieces are different and arranged differently and that's what matters. Most other From games don't stack giant unflinching assholes together as often, often intermingling them with smaller dudes you can fight more reasonably instead (not that it doesn't happen sometimes- I too remember the Kapra and Taurus Show and the Fire Sea of Dragon Asses) and when you hit a tripwire and summon a room of dudes, that room of dudes isn't six archers that are also Silver Knights or a pack of super-fast not-doggos stored in three different buildings over two floors. A lot of From games will make you dodge stuff while trying to cross difficult space, but that difficult space isn't usually hard-to-parce visual masking with a bunch of off-sync spellcasters throwing spells in a staggered wave.

Like, Bloodborne uses similar placement at times but the difference is that it does it with a bunch of easy to flinch small dudes who's ranged attacks are far slower and more manageable in a game where if you get to killing fast enough you can quickly recover a large chunk of that health you lost. Your character is more agile, far more capable offensively due to the design of both the hunter and the enemies, and the encounters themselves more tightly designed with enemies mixed in better with each other instead of giant packs of the same enemy causing the same problem making order of operations for the player incredibly difficult.

I mean I don't agree that other Souls games don't do that, honestly. The run from Parish to Capra, most if not all of The Duke's Archives, the entry to... sewer area whose name I've suddenly forgotten with the four dogs and the butcher guy. "Hope you know exactly how far forward to walk!" area below Queelag, like you said. The cats in the forest if you don't know how to cheese them. The library area and Irythil (I will probably never spell that right) in 3 and probably others I'm forgetting. I grant that a couple of times in 2 the enemies are not easily flinched and can be a huge pain in the rear end, those weird arm demons in Wharf in particular but I don't think it's really that different from other games, all of them have ambush and mob encounters with dudes who just do not give a poo poo. Personal preference of course but I'd rather face most of 2's ambushes than deal with the Anor Londo archers again. Even when you know what to do they still catch you with an arrow almost every time and aaaaaaaa.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

drat. At least he's leaving a hell of a legacy. He's pretty much the sole reason a legendarily broken but truly great game became properly playable, and is becoming what it always should have been.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Niece and nephew came over yesterday and we took turns playing Rain On Your Parade. Fun game, I'd recommend.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This looks like a considerable improvement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RW7iRq97Co&t=147s

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

If the new voice acting wasn't enough of a draw for you to replay Disco Elysium, there's also a fair amount of new content (some of it hidden in the weirdest places):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grPIXQX_iOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Orv posted:

loving, what.

They're called "graphics settings" and in some PC games, they let you adjust how good a game looks at the cost of computational resources your computer may or may not have.
If you have a computer with a sufficient CPU, GPU, and RAM, you can afford to set the graphics settings at high values so the visual quality of the game is improved without having to sacrifice framerate or resolution.

Hope that helps.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 10, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DatonKallandor posted:

Personally I'm also salty about them loving up pyromancy by making it scale off of stats instead of just the flame implement. You know, the innate power of all humanity that everyone is supposed to be innately able to use...now has stat requirements. Making it functionally identical to dark magic.

It wasn't exactly equivalent to dark magic.
IIRC dark scaled of the lower of your 2 casting stats, so it forced you to keep them equal -- 20 wisdom and 99 int did the same damage as 22 wisdom and 20 int. But pyro scaled off the average of your casting stats, so it was equally good for dark, miracle, or sorcery builds.
Still weak for non-caster builds, sadly... There were at least a handful of spells that were decent without stat investment (the poison mist and some self-buffs).

e: ^^^ the DS2 previews showed a game where darkness was a real game mechanic and you would go get a torch to explore in a castle cellar or whatever. If you design a game like that and then let players ignore the lighting system or need for a torch by just turning up lighting/contrast, you've hosed up royally as a developer. You're basically giving people the option between "game looks good but I have to deal with annoying torch mechanics" or "game looks lovely but at least I can loving see"

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 10, 2021

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mordja posted:

This looks like a considerable improvement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RW7iRq97Co&t=147s

I just started NieR on Saturday, so I'll definitely give this a shot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Holy poo poo that IdolNinja news loving sucks. Nthing the gently caress cancer sentiment.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

They're called "graphics settings" and in some PC games, they let you adjust how good a game looks at the cost of computational resources your computer may or may not have.
If you have a computer with a sufficient CPU, GPU, and RAM, you can afford to set the graphics settings at high values so the visual quality of the game is improved without having to sacrifice framerate or resolution.

Hope that helps.

feel like this was already clarified as a misunderstanding and being this extremely condescending is pretty uncalled for

Orv posted:

Ohhhh, I thought it was about the whole darkness thing, my bad. I'm not too bothered either way but yeah fair enough.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: ^^^ the DS2 previews showed a game where darkness was a real game mechanic and you would go get a torch to explore in a castle cellar or whatever. If you design a game like that and then let players ignore the lighting system or need for a torch by just turning up lighting/contrast, you've hosed up royally as a developer. You're basically giving people the option between "game looks good but I have to deal with annoying torch mechanics" or "game looks lovely but at least I can loving see"

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

feel like this was already clarified as a misunderstanding and being this extremely condescending is pretty uncalled for

Yeah I thought GreatGreen was talking about the darkness systems which would not have been something you can just turn on/off with a setting or gamma cheat to remove actual physical mechanics related to it. He and Gay Rat Wedding meant the lighting from earlier trailers which had a very different look to the flat, blown out lighting we got and while that was also probably pruned back because of performance and also is not something you can just flip on and off, we were talking about two different things and it was just a misunderstanding.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 10, 2021

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

gently caress

Orv
May 4, 2011
Speaking of adventure games with incredible looks and absurd development methods.

CW: Some flashing lights, nothing too bad I think but just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRQCKOwOMtQ

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 10, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That was a very optimistic release date!

The soundtrack for the game is by Floex (Machinarium/Samorost).

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Dark Alliance 1 port just got confirmed for PC btw.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Orv posted:

I mean I don't agree that other Souls games don't do that, honestly. The run from Parish to Capra, most if not all of The Duke's Archives, the entry to... sewer area whose name I've suddenly forgotten with the four dogs and the butcher guy. "Hope you know exactly how far forward to walk!" area below Queelag, like you said. The cats in the forest if you don't know how to cheese them. The library area and Irythil (I will probably never spell that right) in 3 and probably others I'm forgetting. I grant that a couple of times in 2 the enemies are not easily flinched and can be a huge pain in the rear end, those weird arm demons in Wharf in particular but I don't think it's really that different from other games, all of them have ambush and mob encounters with dudes who just do not give a poo poo. Personal preference of course but I'd rather face most of 2's ambushes than deal with the Anor Londo archers again. Even when you know what to do they still catch you with an arrow almost every time and aaaaaaaa.

I agree that DS2 is unfairly maligned in this regard, although I will admit I say that as a person who never played vanilla, only Scholar. You're going to get jumped! It's a Dark Souls game, you get jumped in Dark Souls games.

The Iron Keep is a legitimate gripe but it's also just hilarious, especially because the knights' running animation is so goofy. How do you not laugh at them all running at you one at a time every four seconds like a bad action movie?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
That's good news. Emulated it still has some issues with slowdown and a physical copy is pretty pricey still. It will soften the blow of Dark Alliance 3 sucking so bad this year as well.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just noticed that the tactical breach wizards playtest thing is in my library now so if you signed up check your poo poo!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Orv posted:

Yeah I thought GreatGreen was talking about the darkness systems which would not have been something you can just turn on/off with a setting or gamma cheat to remove actual physical mechanics related to it. He and Gay Rat Wedding meant the lighting from earlier trailers which had a very different look to the flat, blown out lighting we got and while that was also probably pruned back because of performance and also is not something you can just flip on and off, we were talking about two different things and it was just a misunderstanding.

I think it was just a misunderstanding, yeah. Perma extreme darkness would suck in a DS game, I definitely agree with that. I was talking about the really cool way DS2 originally handled color gradients, ambient occlusion, and overall lighting, like how this video shows it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59eLW1IGUCU

Of course this relied on the player character having a self-mounted beacon of light, and the understanding that it would work like most games where "minimum" darkness level and contrast could be adjusted so you could always set it so world geometry would at least be apparent. But yeah if everything was just full pitch black it would have been a really rough game. What we got was definitely an over-correction though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 10, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

A game tells me "turn down your brightness until you can't see the dragon on the left" and i'm like WHAT YOU THINK I'M A TOTAL FUCKIN IDIOT?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Givin posted:

That's good news. Emulated it still has some issues with slowdown and a physical copy is pretty pricey still. It will soften the blow of Dark Alliance 3 sucking so bad this year as well.

I fully expect Dark Alliance 3 will be a really bad game, thankfully it'll be on Game Pass for Xbox, and PC.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope it's not but yeah, I'm not sure about that one. I just want an isometric action RPG. It's a winning formula, dammit. As much as I love Grim Dawn and Titan Quest, they get so bogged down in resistances and poo poo, I just want something more mindless.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dark Alliance 3 isn’t even going to be isometric like lmao way how to not read the room.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has anyone here played Mainframe Defenders? I had it wishlisted and it just went on sale for a few bucks so I snagged it. Only had time to do the Tutorial before I had to log off.

I love me some good Tactics games, but I kinda feel like the low fidelity graphics might make it really hard to play? I couldn't easily tell what was an Enemy and what was an Ally.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The IdolNinja news is breaking my heart. He poured everything he had into Volition and I’m glad he at least got his dream career. I’ll have to do another playthrough of SR2 in his honor.

In other news, Oddworld: Soulstorm, Ooblets, Auto Chess, 10 Crowns, and World War Z were named as lifetime EGS exclusives in the Epic v Apple lawsuit today:

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

Pirate Jet posted:

The IdolNinja news is breaking my heart. He poured everything he had into Volition and I’m glad he at least got his dream career. I’ll have to do another playthrough of SR2 in his honor.

In other news, Oddworld: Soulstorm, Ooblets, Auto Chess, 10 Crowns, and World War Z were named as lifetime EGS exclusives in the Epic v Apple lawsuit today:

Ooblets is a bit of a surprise seeing how it has a Steam page.

Wonder how much Epic had to pay extra for lifetime exclusive. Their free game strategy has done really well in getting people to create accounts, but doesn't seem to have done nearly as well in getting those people to also pay for games as well.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
And to think World War Z could have been popular.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

Ooblets is a bit of a surprise seeing how it has a Steam page.

Ooblets has had a Steam page since before its exclusivity was announced, it’s likely a remnant of their old plans. Quite a few EGS-exclusive games have Steam pages up.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

Pirate Jet posted:

Ooblets has had a Steam page since before its exclusivity was announced, it’s likely a remnant of their old plans. Quite a few EGS-exclusive games have Steam pages up.

But those games all eventually came to Steam after the 6 month or 12 month exclusive period was done. It seems a bit different when it is never coming. Also seems sort of stupid on the part of the developer, since you probably have a good chunk of people that are not ever going to buy it on EGS since they assume the Steam version will pop up sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

But those games all eventually came to Steam after the 6 month or 12 month exclusive period was done.

Yes, which is why this is newsworthy. Even then, that’s not necessarily true - Maneater, for example, has a Steam page up and its one-year anniversary is in twelve days, but we’ve heard nothing about a Steam release.

It seems a bit different when it is never coming. Also seems sort of stupid on the part of the developer, since you probably have a good chunk of people that are not ever going to buy it on EGS since they assume the Steam version will pop up sooner or later.

It’s not very stupid on the part of the developer if they got an enormous bag of cash for doing so, which EGS is certainly capable of doing.