Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Vasler posted:

Not sure how often Dark Souls 3 and it's DLC goes on sale. I haven't played DS3 since release and I somehow have Ashes of Ariandel, but I never played it.

I see that The Ringed City is another DLC and there's also a Season Pass but I can't figure out what it includes.

I *think* the season pass includes the two DLCs? That would make sense.

I have two questions:
1. Does Season Pass = Ashes of Ariandel and Ringed City?
2. Is The Ringed City any good?

Also I got Hellpoint in the recent Humble Choice and it's super fun and weird as poo poo.

Ashes of Ariandel and Ringed City are great, but two big (spoiler-free) warnings:

1) You gain access to AoA much earlier than you're ready for it. If I recall correctly the intended entry point is when you have a +7 weapon or above, so it's entirely possible to find it, enter, get repeatedly stomped, and go "Wow this DLC sucks." It's way easier with highly-upgraded stuff.

2) Don't start Ringed City before finishing AoA, don't even go to its first zone- if you do, you'll turn off a minor but very handy QoL feature in AoA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Is there a site that keeps track of permanent Epic exclusives? That would be nifty when trying to decide to wait for a Steam release or use coupons on Epic

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The leaked documents are the first and only time we've heard of permanent exclusives and they are a year old too. Listed in the documents were Oddworld: Soulstorm, Auto Chess, 10 crowns, Ooblets and World War Z.

Edit: And we still don't know if by "exclusive" they actually just mean "No Steam" cause WWZ is on gamepass.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 12, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is Journey to the Savage Planet any good? It suddenly appeared on my Steam list going for pretty cheap and looks like it might be a fun first person FPS + platforming experience? I know nothing about it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Artelier posted:

Is Journey to the Savage Planet any good? It suddenly appeared on my Steam list going for pretty cheap and looks like it might be a fun first person FPS + platforming experience? I know nothing about it.

It’s a shortish (depending upon on your need for completion %) and fairly basic Metroid game that may or may not grind you down with its sense of humor. Outside of the subjective nature of Funny it doesn’t really do anything wrong but if you’ve played a Metroid-alike you’ve seen everything in it before. You could do much worse but I’ve seen some people either not get past the humor and other people not get past the rote gameplay. I never played the DLC.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

It’s a shortish (depending upon on your need for completion %) and fairly basic Metroid game that may or may not grind you down with its sense of humor. Outside of the subjective nature of Funny it doesn’t really do anything wrong but if you’ve played a Metroid-alike you’ve seen everything in it before. You could do much worse but I’ve seen some people either not get past the humor and other people not get past the rote gameplay. I never played the DLC.

Thanks for this! Checked it out a bit when you said Funny and I'm definitely not feeling the humour so am passing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Apparently Ubisoft is going all in on F2P games across all their franchises: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ubisoft-say-now-is-the-time-for-free-to-play-games-across-all-their-biggest-franchises

I don't know poo poo about the industry, but seems kinda risky to try and tackle Fortnite, Warzone and co. which are already established. Feels like a decade ago when everybody was pumping out MMOs and they all crashed and burned because there were too many competitors for any of them to build up a critical mass of players.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
As long as they don't try to make a battle royale they'll be fine, the crash and burning in earlier cases was because everyone was trying to do the same game like WoW and Dota

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Baller Time posted:

As long as they don't try to make a battle royale they'll be fine

Good news, they already have one

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

kirbysuperstar posted:

And Ubi are famous for never repackaging the same formula twice.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

gently caress F2P games, at least Nintendo still exists.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ah yes Nintendo, who sold $40 pieces of cardboard you could put on your Switch. Surely they will save us from this corporate hell.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Does anybody still play Hyper Scape? It came out immediately after Valorant which overshadowed it by virtue of having a bunch of competitive LoL players and twitch promoters marketing it.

Baller Time posted:

As long as they don't try to make a battle royale they'll be fine

I think the new trend is looter shooters, but yeah they might try to squeeze another battle royale in too

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 12, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cartoon Man posted:

Kirby Battle and Fire Emblem Heroes are some of the absolute scummiest F2P games, hilariously

Tetris 99 seems totally fine though

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

They said, buying the same game for the sixth time and downloading it with internet from the 90s as another fan tournament is shut down because gently caress you.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Does anybody still play Hyper Scape? It came out immediately after Valorant which overshadowed it by virtue of having a bunch of competitive LoL players and twitch promoters marketing it.

I think the new trend is looter shooters, but yeah they might try to squeeze another battle royale in too

Hyperscape is pretty dead. Battle royales reached that game dev bubble point a while back where successful new entries have to be eminently accessible, immediately, eye-catchingly fun and have a good pace of updates. Hyperscape had the updates.

That said, for all that Ubisoft's yearly open world entries are not to many peoples taste, they've done a remarkable and almost entirely unheard of job supporting three games that were initial failures - Siege, For Honor and Breakpoint - and turning them into much better games with thriving playerbases in the case of the MP ones. Most other studios would have dropped those games from active development when they underperformed. All that to say, while I don't think Hyperscape is likely to see a similar turn about, if Ubisoft is going to throw F2P poo poo at the wall, they of all people are likely to actually fix, update and improve upon the ones that have merit.

Also pretty sure the F2P Division game they just announced will be some flavor of BR, though that's not a very hard guess. E: Which actually kinda sucks because Hyperscape's one good idea was an entirely urban battle royale environment which Division would be a great fit for but everyone is assuming it's a BR because the promo image is some idyllic rural nowhere.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 12, 2021

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nintendo aka. "pay us for online if you want to backup your savegames" for their handheld console, which everyone knows does never, ever get lost, stolen, or manages to break.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nintendo, who ask you to pay for online multiplayer while simultaneously asking that you download a separate smartphone app to use voice chat.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nintendo sounds like it could really benefit from Steamworks integration.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wow I forgot about Hyper Scape

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like something I might try if it gets cheap.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Omi no Kami posted:

Ashes of Ariandel and Ringed City are great, but two big (spoiler-free) warnings:

1) You gain access to AoA much earlier than you're ready for it. If I recall correctly the intended entry point is when you have a +7 weapon or above, so it's entirely possible to find it, enter, get repeatedly stomped, and go "Wow this DLC sucks." It's way easier with highly-upgraded stuff.

2) Don't start Ringed City before finishing AoA, don't even go to its first zone- if you do, you'll turn off a minor but very handy QoL feature in AoA.

Thanks for this advice, and thanks everyone for your thoughts on the DLC. I'll play through Dark Souls 3 again and do the Ashes of Ariandel DLC, then pick up Ringed City at some point.

Do you tend to wait until the end of the game before going into AoA? What's a good time to do it?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Vasler posted:

Thanks for this advice, and thanks everyone for your thoughts on the DLC. I'll play through Dark Souls 3 again and do the Ashes of Ariandel DLC, then pick up Ringed City at some point.

Do you tend to wait until the end of the game before going into AoA? What's a good time to do it?

AoA can be done any time really, and if you go in early-ish, you'll get more mileage of some of the toys you loot there. But depending on how early you get into it, you may need to drop at some points and come back later with a few more levels under your belt. Main timing tip though would be to do AoA before Ringed City (your plan already), and to do Ringed City last (before the final main boss or immediately after it without going into NG+). Ringed City makes for a great conclusion to the series.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 12, 2021

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Little Indie Darling Helltaker just had an update for its 1st anniversary that basically adds 50% more game.

also:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

nintendo somehow sells digital DLC with physical distribution limitations

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ragequit posted:

I somehow missed that Versus Evil published Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, so it's included in their publisher sale right now. It's $15 for the Obsidian Edition with everything (normally $85), or $12 for the base game (normally $40). Can't go wrong with those prices.

Do people recommend playing it as RTWP or using the new turn based mode?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Overall game flow isn't designed around turn based mode so the frequent battles become a huge chore. Plus overall balance is off with turn based. That said, if you really hate RTWP then turn based is passable.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mega Comrade posted:

Do people recommend playing it as RTWP or using the new turn based mode?

I only briefly tried turn based mode, but I would recommend RTWP as that's what it was originally developed to use. I imagine turn based mode would add a lot of time to the playthrough.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There are some bugs with turn-based too, like one particular bounty contract has the target in a main town and if you start combat in turn-based, not only do the non-combatant townspeople keep walking around independently of the turns, but every single guard in the city becomes aggro to your party and will gradually filter in turn by turn until you're fighting like 20 guards.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, the game has way too many trash encounters in its design for turn-based to be ideal. That's stuff that you wrap up in a few seconds in RtwP, but that will take several minutes in turn-based.

That said, even in RtWP mode Pillars 2 is probably Obsidian's best game since New Vegas and I say that as someone who was very disappointed in PoE1.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Just play it with the 1/2 hp mod, then it's paced fine. You can also switch between the two modes with a console command

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Volte posted:

There are some bugs with turn-based too, like one particular bounty contract has the target in a main town and if you start combat in turn-based, not only do the non-combatant townspeople keep walking around independently of the turns, but every single guard in the city becomes aggro to your party and will gradually filter in turn by turn until you're fighting like 20 guards.

lmao isn't this basically something that happened in Fallout

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh no, Fallout was worse as the civilians where non-buggy and would gleefully have their own explicit turns to walk about in, making *sure* you didn't finish the fight before dinner. Jesus, getting PSTD over here.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Also Nintendo, the kings of limited time to buy FOMO digital purchases.

Our saviors indeed. I'm sure we can keep this going.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Givin posted:

Also Nintendo, the kings of limited time to buy FOMO digital purchases.

Our saviors indeed. I'm sure we can keep this going.

and they didn't even include galaxy 2 lol

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
One note, if you're interested in the PoE2 dlc, get the season pass instead of the three main dlc individually, and you'll save a buck or two.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

exquisite tea posted:

Yesterday IGN had the game director of 12 Minutes preview some potential story permutations. This has been one of my most anticipated new games since it was first announced, I think the main concept is fascinating. And the main cast is voiced by James McAvoy, Daisy Ridley and Willem Dafoe. Wowza!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk31pP4yADo

it looks great, my only concern is that the playtime the devs are claiming (8-10 hours, possibly more?) seems absurdly, unsustainably long for a narrative game set in a single apartment

Orv
May 4, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

it looks great, my only concern is that the playtime the devs are claiming (8-10 hours, possibly more?) seems absurdly, unsustainably long for a narrative game set in a single apartment

A preview I read a few days ago seemed to imply that it goes from "Survive these twelve minutes" to a more mystery and puzzle game as it goes on, rather than just being some kinda slow, weird Hotline Miami.

8-10 hours might still be a little extended but I could see it if it goes seriously deep.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Serephina posted:

Oh no, Fallout was worse as the civilians where non-buggy and would gleefully have their own explicit turns to walk about in, making *sure* you didn't finish the fight before dinner. Jesus, getting PSTD over here.
There was also a town in fallout 2 that had both combat likely to happen on the main streets of the town, AND a bunch of junkies with Jet in their inventory standing around. So they'd take the Jet when combat started and gain more AP to shuffle around with, but since they were on the neutral team they'd just shuffle around rather than contribute to combat on either side.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Barry Convex posted:

I took that to mean "it will take you 8-10 hours to see all the story branches" rather than the time needed to reach a single endstate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Zereth posted:

There was also a town in fallout 2 that had both combat likely to happen on the main streets of the town, AND a bunch of junkies with Jet in their inventory standing around. So they'd take the Jet when combat started and gain more AP to shuffle around with, but since they were on the neutral team they'd just shuffle around rather than contribute to combat on either side.
Yes, but at least in New Reno you could maneuver yourself so that a stray shot from the enemy winged one of the junkies, so that the entire local civilian population would pull out their switchblades and get uselessly slaughtered.