Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you don't actually need all that clearance because doing a 360 is not a thing you ever need to do while playing an fps unless you're recording for a compilation in the mid-00s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man i started playing Control and this is a good fun weird game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

5 inches is all you really need

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

5 inches is all you really need

5 is all you need? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i need at least 12 inches or i wont be satisfied

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Leal posted:

Hell the hell do you have access to your keyboard when you need 20 inches of clear space in either direction to fully turn around?

E: Like my keyboard is 17 inches itself, a 40 inch clearance for the mouse so I can 360 in both directions and I'm gonna have to weld on some extra desk space for my 54 inch desk.

Your mouse and keyboard shouldn't be at the same level for ergonomics reasons. The proper wrist angles for them are different, so they should be at different heights. Keyboard on tray, mouse ~4" higher on top of desk so your wrist isn't cocked backward damaging your nerves and tendons. Don't gently caress your wrist up using computers, you're going to regret it later in life if you do.

Also this :

Ghostlight posted:

you don't actually need all that clearance because doing a 360 is not a thing you ever need to do while playing an fps unless you're recording for a compilation in the mid-00s.

In general, if you ever have to turn more than 180 degrees, you completely hosed up. Like I said in the same post, you should be predicting where enemies will be and only having to make small adjustments when they show up. It's true that for a game like Fortnite where wildly smashing around in every direction building is more important than having the most precise aim, you might go to a very quick 360, but even 10" is a much lower sens than the average gamer winds up with by default. The average Overwatch pro sens is similarly skewed by players who play characters that need little precision using like a 5" 360, but if you start looking at people playing precise DPS characters you'll see the same general trend as other games. A 16" 360 on a 16" wide mouse pad is a totally fine place to start, and you can always refine from there if you find your needs changing over time.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I know we live in a society where you're not supposed to shame people and so on and so forth, but one inch? Unacceptable.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Black Griffon posted:

I know we live in a society where you're not supposed to shame people and so on and so forth, but one inch? Unacceptable.

I don't see the problem, you use inches so it's not like you have to worry about living in an actual society. :smugdog:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Kanfy posted:

I don't see the problem, you use inches so it's not like you have to worry about living in an actual society. :smugdog:

Oh big motherfucker thinks they owned me but little do you know that we use metric in my country but my brain has been so cheesholed by the internet that I've forgotten my roots and instinctually go for Idiot Metric.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kanfy posted:

:thurman:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
So what shouldn't be skipped in Humble Choice?

Pony fighting game was an obvious choice to drop, but I still have four picks left and five options:

Bad North https://store.steampowered.com/app/688420/Bad_North_Jotunn_Edition/
Trailmakers https://store.steampowered.com/app/585420/Trailmakers/
Unrailed https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016920/Unrailed/
Mages of Mystralia https://store.steampowered.com/app/529660/Mages_of_Mystralia/
Grip https://store.steampowered.com/app/396900/GRIP_Combat_Racing/

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Bad North is pure, distilled RTS, and the Jotunn edition is their big post release update they put out a few months ago. It's great.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ShootaBoy posted:

Bad North is pure, distilled RTS, and the Jotunn edition is their big post release update they put out a few months ago. It's great.

Nice to hear, that's a game I'm glad I waited around on. Big fan of the kind of indie games that take from known genres and try and purify them down into their most important components

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

queeb posted:

man i started playing Control and this is a good fun weird game

Dynamite!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm six years late to the party (as usual) but The King of Fighters XIII is going to be an amazing, gorgeous experience whenever you pick it up. It's also going to beat your rear end real bad.

I love the King of Fighters series. It’s a love borne more out of what they’ve accomplished than the actual games, though, as I came to the series through Capcom vs. SNK and even now have played few of the iconic fighters themselves. But quality fighting games tend to age better than most genres, leaving me plenty of time to break back into the series. XIII is hardly the best place to start in terms of story or mechanics, but it’s a very rewarding one if you can hang with it. Solid presentation, incredible combat depth, and some of the finest pixel art in gaming await those willing to sink the time into this unlikely classic.

The King of Fighters tournament is an annual event ostensibly held to crown the strongest martial artist in the world. However, it has a tendency to get co-opted by megalomaniacs, demigods, and paramilitary groups for nefarious ends. This year is no different, with a shadowy cabal operating behind the glitzy scenes to once again summon the existential threat of Orochi. But this is a means to a very strange end, and more than just the eclectic fighters competing are involved in this plot. Whoever manages to best their opponents will face the true threat that’s been lurking within the tournament for years, and hopefully put an end to it.

KOF XIII is the culmination of the Ash Crimson trilogy, a series that began with KOF ’03 a full decade prior to this release. King of Fighters titles used to be yearly releases before SNK fell on hard times, leaving this particular trilogy hanging for ages. Don’t concern yourself too much about the prior games, though, because even playing those front to back isn’t going to fill you in on much. SNK games tend to have really interesting, complex stories that are told horribly by the games themselves, and XIII is no different. It’s almost an impressive feat to be as impenetrable as it is, because its main story mode features loads of lush anime cutscenes and long character monologues that muck up the plot with odd pacing and poor translations. They’re still a pleasure to experience just for the spectacle, and the story mode is clever enough to give you multiple routes through the tale, focusing on different teams and unlocking different scenes each time.

In terms of 2D fighters this is certainly one of the more feature-rich, and not just for its dense story mode. There’s the arcade mode which runs you through a highly abridged version of the plot, but still has time for charming incidental dialogues between every single character. The tutorial mode does an admirable job of attempting to ease new players into the mire of modern KOF mechanics, and the additional game modes help expand on those concepts with robust practice, time attacks, and the mind-bending combo trials. Beyond that there’s the gallery, a welcome addition for long-time fans of the series, a customization system where you can repaint any of the characters in remarkable detail, and local and online multiplayer. Don’t expect to find many people playing online these days, of course, and if you do they’re bound to be eldritch fusings of human and arcade stick that can combo you from full to dead with ancient, forbidden drive cancels. Also the netcode kinda sucks unless you have a really solid connection to the person selected to own you.

Still, what matters most in a fighting game is the fighting, and KOF XIII offers some of the wildest 2D action you can get outside of the Guilty Gear series, for a price. That price is patience, because nothing in this game comes easy to the player. Even compared to earlier KOF games, XIII has a steep, steep learning curve thanks to the depth and challenge of its cancel systems. A staggering number of moves can be canceled into other moves, opening up the possibility of 50+ hit combos and instant-death combos, but only for players willing to practice endlessly to nail the incredibly tight timings required to pull them off. Something like Guilty Gear has a sky-high skill ceiling but still lets newcomers do some wild-rear end combos on the way up. XIII has a significantly higher floor for such antics, as you’ll surely discover when you pop into the combo trials and spend 20 minutes or more trying to nail the very first 5-hit combo.

That’s hardly the only reason to dig into the game either, particularly if you have any love for pixel art. KOF XIII is easily a contender for one of the the most detailed, beautifully-animated 2D games of all time. Each of the characters is lovingly rendered in silky-smooth cycles, from elaborate supers all the way down to their idle animations. Different stages cast different lighting effects on them as well, highlighting folds in clothes or the accents in their cheekbones. The stages themselves are like animated paintings of wild festivals and thoroughfares, and the combat effects and special moves are just as detailed as the rest. It all combines to form one of the finest examples of classic 2D fighting, criminally overlooked for its accomplishments yet undeniably challenging to break into. I’d say it’s entirely worth it though, just to see one of the most stories fighting game franchises at one of its peaks, or to appreciate a true accomplishment of art an animation.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Does anyone else have problems with Steam being incredibly bad at remembering that you have "allow downloads during gameplay" checked? I feel like I'm constantly having to turn it back on. At first I thought it was just after updates, but it's seeming more and more to just happen completely arbitrarily.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Have you checked allowed downloads as a universal setting?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Black Griffon posted:

Have you checked allowed downloads as a universal setting?

Yep, I've always been doing it in the global settings instead of per-game, but it reverts at least once a week.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

That's really weird. I've had allow as a universal setting for years, and I've never had issues. Can't quite imagine what might be causing it though.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yep, I've always been doing it in the global settings instead of per-game, but it reverts at least once a week.
Whenever I have had issues with the Steam client, I log out of it, restart the PC and log in again. It has fixed my issues 99 times out of 100.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
It flew a bit under the radar, but Valve revamped how they'll be offering soundtracks going forward. In short, Soundtracks will be their own special product instead of DLC, so you won't even have to buy the associated game. Moreover, all the soundtracks will be located in a separate common folder instead of hidden inside each game's folder structure. Plus other quality-of-life improvements such as multiple formats, album data, a better music player.

EDIT: Also, Steam Lunar Sale is from January 23rd to 28th.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 8, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Can't believe that there are still developers who think selling game music is a good idea. They should be looking at soundtracks as a way to generate interest and sell the product, not trying to monetize the 5 people who are stupid enough to grossly overpay for some mediocre music.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Can't believe that there are still developers who think selling game music is a good idea. They should be looking at soundtracks as a way to generate interest and sell the product, not trying to monetize the 5 people who are stupid enough to grossly overpay for some mediocre music.

boy howdy you've figured it out huh

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Something tells me you're not the target audience.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd buy vinyls of specific game music (looking at you Nier) if they weren't so god loving awful expensive.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Blattdorf posted:

It flew a bit under the radar, but Valve revamped how they'll be offering soundtracks going forward. In short, Soundtracks will be their own special product instead of DLC, so you won't even have to buy the associated game. Moreover, all the soundtracks will be located in a separate common folder instead of hidden inside each game's folder structure. Plus other quality-of-life improvements such as multiple formats, album data, a better music player.

As someone who frequently uninstalls games and then promptly remembers I had them installed to keep the soundtracks around, that's rad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nowher posted:

Ah bummer, I was thinking about giving Vermintide 2 a shot. What have the developers done to drive away the players?

Vermintide 2 is fine, no reason not to try it out if you like that style of game.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

GreenNight posted:

I'd buy vinyls of specific game music (looking at you Nier) if they weren't so god loving awful expensive.

More than once I've debated buying these.

https://www.g4f-records.com/en/produit/endless-space-2-edition-vinyle-2

They look so drat good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

K8.0 posted:

I happily paid money for the Hollow Knight soundtrack.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't collect vinyls (and don't even have a player) but if I did, I'd buy the Stellaris soundtrack vinyls because holy gently caress is the soundtrack in that game gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC7m0FEAfQM

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

What about the ones who make a game to sell their music, like the Domina guy

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

K8.0 posted:

yeah my buddy was really into the crypt of the necrodancer soundtrack and like he played a couple tracks and it sounded like mediocre chip tune poo poo.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

if I accidentally press A on my controller with Steam open it starts playing music for some reason

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

John Murdoch posted:

As someone who frequently uninstalls games and then promptly remembers I had them installed to keep the soundtracks around, that's rad.

you know you can go to the soundtrack directory, copy the files elsewhere then uninstall the game, yeah?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

GreenNight posted:

if i had "gently caress you" money id buy this in a heartbeat

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

same for the sequel soundtrack

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

physical videogame soundtracks are funko pops for people who are too cool for funko pops

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are all these cheap steam game keys legit on eBay? Is there a catch?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I happily paid money for the Hollow Knight soundtrack.

Transistor for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I would have purchased the Journey OST if it didn’t come on the PS3 disc already.

I did purchase the Nier Automata OST.