Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh I've done that. It's just that I have 2,000+ games and steam hates that.

drat, and I thought my library of 500+ takes forever. My condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

K8.0 posted:

They made the UI trash and there's nothing you can do to fix it. Gotta love Valve's obsession with making the user experience worse!

If they keep getting worse for the next 10 or so years, maybe EGS UI will almost be competitive!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

drat, I never considered that! That would probably work.

40ft USB cable directly to the Bone controller should work too, you can even run it without batteries that way :haw:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Zetsubou-san posted:

also - someone take this Sim City 4 Deluxe key : *4***-8DRD4-YEVKL (where **** is a four letter name for the abominable snowman)

FYI someone has claimed this.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Is it just me or does Ori 2 look kinda blurry? Like the text and the graphics in general are just not sharp. I've tried changing resolution, checked that the resolution scaling is 100% and it doesn't make a difference. The graphics options are barebones so I can't even see if it's some crappy AA doing it. It's kind of distracting.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

K8.0 posted:

They made the UI trash and there's nothing you can do to fix it. Gotta love Valve's obsession with making the user experience worse!

I really like it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Is there a way to not install the shitton of MP data for GTA 5? Or what files are safe to delete down the line?
I have a legal copy but a less legal one would save me like 30GB it's insane, I don't have a lack of drive space ATM but really R* ?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zedd posted:

Is there a way to not install the shitton of MP data for GTA 5? Or what files are safe to delete down the line?
I have a legal copy but a less legal one would save me like 30GB it's insane, I don't have a lack of drive space ATM but really R* ?

My philosophy is that if one owns a game but shenanigans are preventing one from playing it or enjoying it to the fullest, 'less legal' methods are perfectly fine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

drat, I never considered that! That would probably work.

USB is only guaranteed to work up to 16 feet so chaining normal extensions probably won't work over such a long run, but there are active repeaters that should do the trick

e.g. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Active-Extension-Cable-Female/dp/B01L81WQ2O

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zedd posted:

There is no way to delete anything that wouldn't prevent it from just running, unfortunately nor do I imagine a cracked copy would allow that either.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"Ripping" unessential parts of a game's assets out of a :filez: package is a time-honored tradition, so it's entirely likely that you could find a download with the multiplayer-exclusive stuff removed from it if you look.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blattdorf posted:

It speeds up later on in the sense that enemies become more demanding.
i dunno, i'm at world 3 and it hasn't felt any more exciting

i think if the stamina recharge was 50% faster but also enemies attacked more often, the combat would be a lot more engaging

instead it feels slower than Final Fantasy ATB

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

sebmojo posted:

I really like it.

So you hate interfaces that provide actual information?

Exactly what is there to like about the new UI? Even the feed about updates to your games that someone else mentioned existed previously. I don't believe for one second there is a single thing about the new UI that is actually better than the old one.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

K8.0 posted:

That's a bizarre way to react to someone saying they like something. :psyduck:

K8.0 posted:

Exactly what is there to like about the new UI?

I like that it remembers the last few game's I've played in sequence. Oh, and it has individual game's newsfeeds more front-and-center, which has been handy when I've wanted to look up patch-notes.

If you're talking about the weird tile-view yeah, I don't use that. Seems weak. I just use the scrolling list on the left, set to currently installed games. I don't really feel like I lost anything in the UI change, and feel like I gained a few small QoL perks. If that's not your experience that's fine, tho. :shrug:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's really not when the new thing is basically just the previous thing, but with less information and less functionality. They removed every single column of information except the name. That's a huge functionality downgrade.

You could sort games by how recently you played them (or any other column you had displayed) with a single click in the old UI. You could even click multiple columns in succession so Steam would use your preferred criteria as tiebreakers if you were primarily sorting by something more binary like cloud save support. You also have been able to see and launch your 5 most recent titles by right clicking the Steam icon for over a decade.

I will grant you that if you want news shoved in your face, the new UI is more aggressive about it than the old one. The old one still had several ways of displaying that feed, but sure, if you like that particular thing front and center, they could have added a menu option to toggle showing that list at the top without actually losing any functionality. I don't think many people would have voluntarily sacrificed any of the functionality of the old UI for that, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The old "medium" layout was something I barely ever used and as far as I can tell, the new one allows you to sort things by nearly all the same criteria, but when it came to quick and easy usability, I do have to admit it had the new "shelf" design beat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

K8.0 posted:

Exactly what is there to like about the new UI? Even the feed about updates to your games that someone else mentioned existed previously. I don't believe for one second there is a single thing about the new UI that is actually better than the old one.

I click on a game and it gives me a big green button labeled play.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The old UI didn't require clicking on the game, it showed play as an action when you hovered over the game in some views - there, 100% as efficient as the new layout :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

orcane posted:

The old UI didn't require clicking on the game, it showed play as an action when you hovered over the game in some views - there, 100% as efficient as the new layout :v:

the button wasn't big, or green.

I was going on how often it's annoyed me (maybe once or twice with the new style friends list?) vs how often i've been pleased by it (often) but I've fired it up to be more detailed, let's see:

i like the list of recent games played, that reminds me of what I've been doing. I like the way it shows games with updates queued, that's a good bit of info. I like the pictures for the games being the default, i've been pleasantly surprised to see games i'd forgotten about and the art is generally striking. I can sort by last played by clicking the clockface button above the games list, which I've just noticed so that's cool.

I have 546 games, for reference, and it loads fast and doesn't use a noticeable amount of cpu (only 86 installed, though). It spikes like 10% when scrolling the list, my ancient i5 4570 has no problems with it.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 14, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

As I already explained the recently played functionality was present in the old UI, as was games with updates queued. You could make the default view showing box art in the old UI (in fact they forced that garbage on us at one point and we complained to get the ability to switch back to icons).

So it remains that forcing the news feed at the top is the only thing I've heard anyone say they like about the new client that wasn't already in the old client and better in the old client. Even that was better for the vast majority of users. I never once heard anyone complain that Steam didn't show them enough news about their games. It's also a loving ad. That's why you can't remove it or the "poo poo your friends have played" trash (which BTW is another thing that also existed in the old client if you actually wanted it, and it was also more useful as a shopping tool than the new version is). If you used to look at Steam and go "You know what this poo poo needs? Ads in the list of games I already own"... yeah IDK what to tell you.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 14, 2020

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Dynamic search does all that organizing poo poo now. And the news let me know about seasonal events, which were previously a pain to look up on a game by game basis.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay apparently the biggest reason State of Decay 2 got review-bombed is that they released it... without the Chinese translation in. And given that Steam's biggest audience is in China, that, uh, didn't go well.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

The 7th Guest posted:

i dunno, i'm at world 3 and it hasn't felt any more exciting

i think if the stamina recharge was 50% faster but also enemies attacked more often, the combat would be a lot more engaging

instead it feels slower than Final Fantasy ATB

Then it's not going to wow any further in. I've enjoyed the game, but boy does it have problems.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The Master Chief Collection has me confused. I only want the first game 'cause if it sucks I'm only out £12 instead of £60 (for two copies, for coop)

However, despite the first game being sold separately, it says it's DLC for the collection.

Can I buy the game separately? Does it suck?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You can buy and play Halo: Reach separately, if I'm reading that right, but for some reason not Halo: Combat Evolved.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
'The Master Chief Collection' is the launcher, and the individual Halo games are DLC for the launcher - you can either buy them piecemeal, or the whole Collection as a bundle. It works the same way the emulated classic Sega games do, if you have those rattling around your library.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Gort posted:

The Master Chief Collection has me confused. I only want the first game 'cause if it sucks I'm only out £12 instead of £60 (for two copies, for coop)

However, despite the first game being sold separately, it says it's DLC for the collection.

Can I buy the game separately? Does it suck?

It's partially down to Steam presenting the games in a weird way, dunno if MS has another way it could display them.
Despite saying that they're DLC, the can just buy any of the "DLCs" without owning the MCC and it'll give you the MCC for free.

Essentially, the MCC is "free" since it's just a fancy launcher and you can either buy the whole package which will give you all six games (Halos 1-4, ODST & Reach) as they come out or you can buy the games piecemeal, but that'll cost more if you end up buying all of the games that way.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

K8.0 posted:

As I already explained the recently played functionality was present in the old UI, as was games with updates queued. You could make the default view showing box art in the old UI (in fact they forced that garbage on us at one point and we complained to get the ability to switch back to icons).

So it remains that forcing the news feed at the top is the only thing I've heard anyone say they like about the new client that wasn't already in the old client and better in the old client. Even that was better for the vast majority of users. I never once heard anyone complain that Steam didn't show them enough news about their games. It's also a loving ad. That's why you can't remove it or the "poo poo your friends have played" trash (which BTW is another thing that also existed in the old client if you actually wanted it, and it was also more useful as a shopping tool than the new version is). If you used to look at Steam and go "You know what this poo poo needs? Ads in the list of games I already own"... yeah IDK what to tell you.

Just telling you what I like about it :shobon:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Does Halo CE have a server browser?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So is Halo: Combat Evolved a good co-op experience?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

Does Halo CE have a server browser?

Matchmaking only, unfortunately.

The neat thing about how Multiplayer works in the MCC is that you don't actually launch the games individually, when you search for a match it can give you any of the games. So if you search for a match of Team Slayer it'll throw you into any of the games (that are currently out) and if you keep matchmaking going after the match finishes you could end up in a different game all together.

You can limit your searches to specific games and game types, but there is no server browser.

EDIT: Something worth noting about Halo: CEA, I guess: the remastered graphics are only for singleplayer. CEA was originally an Xbox 360 game and rather than make an online version of Halo 1's multiplayer they just included a disc with a map-pack for Halo Reach with some re-made Halo 1 maps. Guess they didn't want to split the playerbase or something .
When they made the MCC for the Xbone, they ported the online multiplayer from the old PC port of Halo 1 and used that, so it's only the original assets.

Halo 2 Anniversary is similar in that only the singleplayer has remastered graphics, but this time they made an entirely new game for Halo 2A's multiplayer, which is basically a heavily re-worked Halo 4 made to play as close to Halo 2 as they could. The original Halo 2 multiplayer is in the (Xbone) MCC, so rather than a toggle for graphics you have two separate games.
Don't think they've said anything about if the H2A multiplayer is supposed to launch at the same time as Halo 2, since it's technically a different game. I imagine they probably want to though.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 15, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So uh I'm playing Ori and Will o Wisps on XBGP and the controller buttons are totally hosed up with my DS4. Tried it both wired without DS4windows and bluetooth over DS4windows (with Hide DS4 on and off). Like "X" (or A") ends up being the "back" and everything is just wrong and not mapped and driving me crazy. Anyone else experience this? I can't seem to rebind them either.

e: so just "Hide DS4" alone wasn't enough to fix it. I had to go into the controller profile settings and make sure DirectInput was off and tell it "Xbox 360" controller. Steam may suck but they're light years ahead of the competition with actual nice things like native controller support and what not. I really hate how anytime I try to use a DS4 with non-Steam it ends up being a rube goldberg solution to get it to work and always finnicky as hell. At least it's working now.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 15, 2020

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Xaris posted:

So uh I'm playing Ori and Will o Wisps on XBGP and the controller buttons are totally hosed up with my DS4. Tried it both wired without DS4windows and bluetooth over DS4windows (with Hide DS4 on and off). Like "X" (or A") ends up being the "back" and everything is just wrong and driving me crazy. Anyone else experience this? I can't seem to rebind them either.

The windows store install works perfectly for me in DS4Windows with hide DS4 controller on so it might be worth persisting. Make sure you have no other controllers/adapters/junk turned on. There's no controller rebinding at all.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Xaris posted:

So uh I'm playing Ori and Will o Wisps on XBGP and the controller buttons are totally hosed up with my DS4. Tried it both wired without DS4windows and bluetooth over DS4windows (with Hide DS4 on and off). Like "X" (or A") ends up being the "back" and everything is just wrong and not mapped and driving me crazy. Anyone else experience this? I can't seem to rebind them either.

e: so just "Hide DS4" alone wasn't enough to fix it. I had to go into the controller profile settings and make sure DirectInput was off and tell it "Xbox 360" controller. Steam may suck but they're light years ahead of the competition with actual nice things like native controller support and what not. I really hate how anytime I try to use a DS4 with non-Steam it ends up being a rube goldberg solution to get it to work and always finnicky as hell. At least it's working now.

Played both wired and wireless with Ds4windows without a problem. Had to quit Steam though cause it was messing with the controller.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

K8.0 posted:

I don't think many people would have voluntarily sacrificed any of the functionality of the old UI for that, though.

I don't feel like I've lost any previously held functionality, and I feel like I've gained some small new functionality features. IDK what to tell you.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks for all the recommendations people extremely glad I asked.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xaris posted:

I had that same problem until I turned on ds4windows so try that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SirSamVimes posted:

I had that same problem until I turned on ds4windows so try that.

Ehh well it's been working fine except whenever I hit "RT" to supposedly pull/push objects, it brings up the Ability Wheel (LT) so I have to use the keyboard. What the gently caress

this poo poo is seriously getting annoying. Maybe it's the Xbox Game Pass or the game or something, but it's embarrassing that you still need to jump through a bazillion hoops to get a DS4 working without Steam and it still isn't right.

e: If anyone else has an issue: i restarted, closed out everything, went into Steam settings and unchecked every controller option, exited steam, removed any saved controllers, turned off bluetooth, ran DS4windows in admin mode, deleted my old Default profile and created a new one, and now it's working while connected over USB and RT is properly functioning. At least it's working for now.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 15, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I wish Ori ran on all fours instead of Naruto running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

State of Decay 2 chatter since I just lost a lot of hours to it: god this game is everything I want out of an action-y zombie game. If Project Zomboid is the best zombie game out there, then this is number 2 - where Project Zomboid demands constant stealth and thoughtful combat, this one is messy while maintaining the tension. Combat is relatively simple - mash attack button, push e for zombies on the ground, keep yourself pointed at enemies. Swap to ranged if you have bullets or crossbow bolts. But at the same time, it's just as threatening. You can only attack one or two zombies at once, there's no crowd control. So facing even three can be a death sentence, and disengaging from combat is tricky. You can bring a follower AI buddy to help fight, but this is limited by how they can die, and that's a character you're removing from your play pool - which is really bad if you don't have a high enough population.

Right, let me back up. State of Decay 1 was a mess. It wanted to be a story-driven game where you're focusing on ramping up to do story missions, and it wanted to be a simulationist thing where your community was simulated - you needed to get enough resources, manage morale, and keep your little band of survivors together and safe. By trying to do both, it fell apart. (Didn't help that the story was vanilla zombies bad, military also bad, survive??? nonsense.)

So State of Decay 2 throws the story out: after the intro scenario, there's none. Zippo. Your starting duo and their two new friends settle down in a camp and the game opens up. The simulation has been deepened, and the focus is entirely on you fighting to survive. And it's actually tough! Resources don't vanish at an alarming rate, but they are going, and you need to keep a steady flow of food n' ammo n' meds n' building materials coming home, or else your stuff will fall apart. I used up too much construction material while upgrading two of my buildings, and because we ran out of it, the infirmary broke. And without that, I couldn't craft a cure for the plague, and I had an infected citizen who had two hours before she would turn. That's a very generous time limit as finding the construction stuff took me less than ten minutes (as I had previously scouted the nearby town and knew where likely spots for that stuff would be) (as I had a car in working order, with gas in it so I didn't have to trek there and back - travel time of 5 minutes versus 15, if not longer) - but I still had to wait fifteen minutes as the infirmary was repaired, then make the cure, and use it. Oh, and this was also reliant on me having enough plague samples on hand to make the cure. How do you get plague samples? By finding the new super-zombies (they're really not that tough) with red eyes who like to hang out near their infected plague heart zones, killing them, and collecting their drops. And killing them requires having working weapons (because melee weapons break quickly! and ammo is clunky!) as well as travel time, as well as a citizen who isn't exhausted, as over time their stamina bar (used for running and combat) will completely vanish, so even if you can regen stamina by standing still, the bar is gone. Without stamina you can't fight, and red eye zombies will infect you. Which means you need - yes - more samples to make a cure.

It's an interlocking spaghetti of systems that actually work. The first game had powerful cars that could mow down 100 zombies no sweat and if you did run out of fuel, more cars were all over the map and you could drive any of them. This game - I've found five or six cars so far, they're all fragile and require constant repair, and the trucks need so much gas, oh my god why is their fuel mileage so bad. But you need them! Walking everywhere is too slow considering how large the map is, and you also need that storage space in the trunk - you can only carry one rucksack of supplies. Or you can store 3-4 in a car. That is huge!

On top of all of this, there are other humans out there and they are constantly calling and asking for help. I spent my evening helping an alcoholic moron build a still by driving out to pick him up, searching a warehouse for wheat, and driving him home. Then frantically driving to MY home to pick up a cure for the plague and driving back to him to cure him because the idiot got bitten while I was picking up the wheatsack. I didn't know I could make the drive there and back in less than six minutes, but apparently I can! Thank god I had fuel stocked as well as the cure ready to go!

Other missions: survivor asking for help while trapped in a house; survivor heard of some cool loot in a van, but it's guarded by another super-zombie; survivors want supplies; survivors want to gently caress you up. Seriously do not mess with the weapon hoarders, they're assholes but they're armed and they WILL shoot you. (RIP Weaver, gone too soon)

Stealth is pretty strong, so unlike the first game it's super viable to sneak around and stealth-kill zombies (or just take supplies and leave). It's not like, Thief-levels of stealth, but it works. Crouch, avoid line of sight, push e to stealth-kill when close enough. If you're traveling alone it's actually better to sneak, because combat without a buddy can get out of hand really quick.

Okay, two things and I'll wrap up: the pace of the game is fast. You are always doing something, traveling, fighting, scavenging. The game does not pause while in menus, so you can't peruse the map while driving - you have to steer. You have to actually stop the car and read the map. Or stop walking. I have had zombies attack while trying to figure out where to go. Something I mean to resolve tomorrow is finding a medicine-generating outpost tomorrow.... if I can find it without another mission coming in. And the missions keep coming! They're all optional, of course, but most have consequences: if my citizen Regina wants to clear a zombie infestation and I don't get to it in time, she will lose morale. And probably pick another fight with my other citizens. If I ignore a lone survivor asking for help, they'll probably die. If I don't help out other human groups, they might get mad at us, or leave. There's also traveling merchants offering stuff if I get to them before they leave, and other things. The pace is such that I usually have 2-3 things asking for my attention at once, if not more. And weirdly enough, it works! I don't walk away from the game stressed, but rather feeling satisfied. I make decisions on the fly about what's important, I make sure to stop at promising spots as I pass them on the highway and loot their stuff. If I have spare explosives on hand and I'm near a plague heart, I'll go destroy it. It's this never-ending list of things to do, time is passing, and as you upgrade your facilities and get more survivors and claim more outposts, it gets easier.

And part of why it works is that when the game DID slow down at few times and I had no missions to do, I felt lost. I stared at the map, thinking - food would be nice, but clearing out a plague heart would be nice, but where to go? I did pick and go, but I enjoy the flow of planning a trip like.... okay, if the human enclave in the top right of the map wants more food supplies, I make a plan for going to that region. I'll need more gas for my truck so load its trunk. Toss the food rucksack in the trunk too. There's an infested house on the way, so recruit a follower and make sure we're armed. There's a scouting tower near the enclave, so I'll stop by there. I've planned for an actual roadtrip while reserving enough space for looting on the way.

God it's so satisfying. My big overarching goal currently is to move my entire band into the firehouse - but for that I need more survivors in my band as well as influence. (Influence is a currency you generate by doing stuff - killing zombies, completing missions, etc. It's a decent way to simulate your group having enough clout to say "hey this base is ours" or "hey stranger be a follower" or other benefits.) After that, I'll probably work on upgrading it, making it self-sufficient, and then on dominating the map by clearing out the plague hearts (there are only nine of them!)

It's such a sandbox. And there's so much to do and see, and systems I haven't mentioned.

Okay, last bit: there's some jank. Sometimes you get locked into a running-to-attack-an-enemy animation, and have to push e to break out of it. Some level geometry will try to eat your car. I once had an NPC get knocked out of position at his house, so he ran across town to the store his quest was going to take him to, and I wound up waiting at his home for him to come back so I could start the quest in the first place. But on the whole it works really, really well - seven hours and no game-breaking bugs. And there's a free button in the radio menu that will reset your position if you get stuck in the level somehow. I haven't needed it, but it's nice that it's there.

State of Decay 2: it's so good I've written a goddamn essay on it. Please check it out if it sounds like your thing, because it's just... wow. I did not expect that they'd take the first game and figure out what was actually good about it and upgrade all of that.

here is a screenshot of two juggernaut zombies standing next to each other, taken in the split-second before they both attacked me. they WILL hulk out and throw your car around. they DO take infinite bullets to kill. I WAS hosed. normally you get one as a semi-rare event, but two? the game just wanted me to know that it loves me very very much