Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.random
May 7, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Anyone into Banners of Ruin? I see some grumbling in the discussions that it's too easy - that sounds amazing to me because I am awful at deckbuilders and never got far in Slay the Spire. Is it fun?

Just watched some of it on twitch and it looked… very average? Could definitely be more fun to play though, so if someone has, trust that over me! (It also irrationally bothered me that they have a banner that says “Opponents’ Turn” but it doesn’t change to “Opponent’s Turn” when there’s only one enemy left. I am a broken individual.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Are there any good ancient Rome games? Maybe something in the vein of Middle Earth: Arkham City?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mescal posted:

Are there any good ancient Rome games? Maybe something in the vein of Middle Earth: Arkham City?

Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Origins, at least in part

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
So apparently Wolcen is on sale and recently released a content patch. Is the game good yet?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Mescal posted:

I have been looking for this for years and have never gotten anything truly great. There's the rome total wars, and the incredible A Legionary's Life

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

News from the Annapurna Showcase:

Release dates/windows confirmed....

The Artful Escape: September 9th (will be on Gamepass) - This is a story game that looks a teensy bit pretentious but has a gorgeous game world
Neon White: Winter 2021 - A fast speed game and shooter where you get cards that function as guns, until you discard them and use their secondary function (like double jump, butt stomp, etc). By Ben Esposito (Donut County), also has VN segments and side quests.
Solar Ash: October 26th - The latest game from the Hyper Light Drifter developer which combines third person action, platforming and parkour will be an Epic exclusive, sorry folks
The Pathless - Steam release on November 16th, finally leaving Epic Game Store jail. This is a BOTW-ish game where you are an archer helping the spirit world. A lot of emphasis on building up speed by auto-locking on targets and shooting them as you move.
Stray: Early 2022 - This is the cyberpunk game where you are a cat and solve puzzles as cat, and explore as cat.

New game announcements:

A Memoir Blue (Cloisters) (on Gamepass) - "A Memoir Blue is an atmospheric journey through the memories of Miriam: a champion swimmer, who on the day of her greatest success dwells on her childhood memories of her mother and a special trip they took." A story game that mixes real-time 3D with hand-drawn animation.
Storyteller (Daniel Benmergui, creator of Fidel Dungeon Rescue) (Demo available) - A game in which you are given a story to tell, and drag and drop characters and story elements into panels in order to tell the story. While there are objectives, you can tell the story a bunch of different ways.
Untitled Outer Loop (Falcon Age) game - Looks to be a story-based skateboarding game but all I could tell was what I saw on computer monitors during talking head segments.
Untitled Jessika Mak (SoundShapes) game - Looks to be another music game, seems to be a combination of runner and action with switching perspectives.
Untitled Ivy Road game - Ivy Road is a new studio by the creators of Gone Home and the Stanley Parable, no real details on the game.
Untitled No Code (Observation, Stories Untold) game - The dev claims they never set out to make horror games with Stories Untold or Observation, but this time it will be intentional from the start.

finally..

THE OUTER WILDS EXPANSION ANNOUNCED!! Echoes of the Eye, releases September 28th

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 29, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mescal posted:

Might not be precisely what you're looking for but: https://store.steampowered.com/app/218020/Nethergate_Resurrection/

fake edit: then I read your second sentence and lol definitely not what you're looking for. play AssCreed Origins and Odyssey instead

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

THE OUTER WILDS EXPANSION ANNOUNCED!! Echoes of the Eye, releases September 28th

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWMhagfKycM

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

Stray: Early 2022 - This is the cyberpunk game where you are a cat and solve puzzles as cat, and explore as cat.

https://twitter.com/MerryKish/status/1420828805636050944

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
looks more Half life 2 than cyberpunk

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
OK, I'm about an hour and change into Chernobylite which is apparently a fraction of the available story content of course so it hardly seems fair to judge, but so far the story isn't really capturing me so that doesn't feel really good.

The core gameplay loop seems to be more similar to something like This War of Mine where you have to manage a group of people, ration food, etc. That part all seems fine, good even. The base building seems pretty open-ended as to where you can place some things, but think more Fallout 4-style base building except without the ability to build structures or anything like that. I only have one actual base to build in right now, I am not sure if it ever opens up new ones or expands.

It's definitely not open-world or anything like that, there's not much free-roaming. You basically assign yourself to one of a handful of levels to go collect supplies for the day, and they seem to range from medium to large in size, but nowhere to the scale of even Metro: Exodus' levels.

Combat is... interesting. I think the guns feel fine, but the enemies aren't very interesting to fight and the stealth system kinda sucks. Reading reviews on Steam, I am not sure that it ever improves in that regard.

Weapon customization seems to be moderately in-depth if anyone's into that.

Lot of typos and stuff like that, seems rough around the edges. Might be too rough for me, I'm not sure if I can decide that quite yet.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mescal posted:

I was just playing some of this new game The Forgotten City which takes place in an ancient Roman city with a god-enforced 'golden rule'. It's mostly dialogue based and does have some nice Roman flavor

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Protocol7 posted:

OK, I'm about an hour and change into Chernobylite which is apparently a fraction of the available story content of course so it hardly seems fair to judge, but so far the story isn't really capturing me so that doesn't feel really good.

Definitely curious to hear more as you go deeper. One story element I've seen in reviews that I find interesting is the ability to revisit past key story decisions you've made when you die and change them, doing a bit of a Butterfly Effect where those changes then ripple into your relationships in the present. I'm really curious to know if there's depth there or if it's largely window dressing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Buller posted:

looks more Half life 2 than cyberpunk

it's a cat so it'd be Four and a Half Lives

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Might not be precisely what you're looking for but: https://store.steampowered.com/app/218020/Nethergate_Resurrection/

fake edit: then I read your second sentence and lol definitely not what you're looking for. play AssCreed Origins and Odyssey instead

Aren't those in Greece? And I am open to other genres, I guess anything other than 4X.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Memnaelar posted:

Definitely curious to hear more as you go deeper. One story element I've seen in reviews that I find interesting is the ability to revisit past key story decisions you've made when you die and change them, doing a bit of a Butterfly Effect where those changes then ripple into your relationships in the present. I'm really curious to know if there's depth there or if it's largely window dressing.

Yeah, I kinda get the vibe it's one of those games that hits you with a later-game "whoa" moment - just not sure the rest of the game is captivating enough to pull me away from any of the other games I'm currently playing. :v:

I was honestly waffling on refunding it, but now that I think about it this game reminds me a lot of Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason and I lowkey loved that game too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

zedprime posted:

Factory Town has a lot more to do/is a lot more thought out at its current state. But it shares a lot of verbs with Factorio and Dyson Sphere Program which generally do those parts better. It definitely has its own unique, good take but you're moving things around to make other things and it's 3rd best in that realm in my personal list.

Stealing my recent unrecomendation for Rail Route from the management thread where both of these have come up recently if you want to see some general conversations about them:
Rail Route is the best unrecomendable game I've played. Watch a video or look at some screenshots and you'll know if it's for you. I can't reflex recommend it to anyone on the fence because it's extremely niche.

Where every other train game is about long hauls, this is very much the train game about the fiddly bits going into and out of stations. It is the only game about clearing trains to proceed manually and then automatically. If you've ever played a game with path based signalling and thought "I'd rather do this myself" or maybe "I'd rather program a strange automaton to do this in the margins of the track" then this is the best and only game doing both.

Thanks so much! This is helpful. I saw the dev of Factory Town posting in the thread and that made me more inclined to grab it. I will ponder a bit longer.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Mescal posted:

Aren't those in Greece? And I am open to other genres, I guess anything other than 4X.

Origin is mostly in Ptolemaic Egypt and Odyssey is mostly Greece.

Rome is surprisingly underdone in games. I'm going to make the assumption you don't want to play Ryse: Son of Rome(which is in fact also mostly not set in Rome) and the Total War games would probably fall under the 4X banner.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Loop Hero. Does anyone remember why they liked it? I feel like it was everywhere three months ago, and then forgot it existed. I was even struggling to remember the name of it when someone asked me about it. I kept getting it confused with Returnal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A legionariy’s life is really good but super, super difficult at first. Worth sticking with though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

EricFate posted:

Loop Hero. Does anyone remember why they liked it? I feel like it was everywhere three months ago, and then forgot it existed. I was even struggling to remember the name of it when someone asked me about it. I kept getting it confused with Returnal.

It's good? It's just not very complicated or deep so you have your fun with it, and then you stop, and I think that's all right.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

EricFate posted:

Yea the game itself might imply that it has a very long tail (with those town trinkets lol) but really it doesn't, it's a fun little weird take on several vogue mechanics that can be enjoyed and digested. I put 40 hours into it which is a lot of such a simple premise, and I'd still recommend it to anyone who felt the demo (or two hour ""demo"") was interesting.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hub Cat posted:

Origin is mostly in Ptolemaic Egypt and Odyssey is mostly Greece.

Rome is surprisingly underdone in games. I'm going to make the assumption you don't want to play Ryse: Son of Rome(which is in fact also mostly not set in Rome)

Is it good? I don't know if I like hack and slashes. I don't like grim dawn, is that a hack and slash?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think the only non-crap, non-4x Rome games I can think of are city builders. CivCity: Rome, Grand Ages: Rome, and Imperium Romanum. Way back in the day there was a short spate of gladiator-related games, but they're not on PC.

The 7th Guest posted:

Yeah, like I said gating works in stuff like Zeldas or Metroidvanias, or puzzle games. It doesn't make much sense in open world games where you can reach any objective from the beginning. I also maintain it made no sense to make you unlock essential stuff to combat in Metal Gear Rising like parrying. I can't fathom why they did it that way.

Metal Gear Rising did it very poorly, but the principle is that in a game with dozens of possible inputs 1) narrowing them down to core basics and then adding more over time means you don't overwhelm new players and 2) needing the player to actively invest in unlocking say, the Stinger in DMC, means they're way more likely to essentially self-tutorialize themselves. After all, who's gonna buy a new move and then not play around with it immediately afterwards? That way they acclimate to new abilities at their own pace and said new abilities stand out in their mind better instead of being immediately lost in giant pile of possible inputs.

I think Wonderful 101 does the same thing and I'm left assuming the intention is to go "hey, look, new moves appear in the store and you should really buy them because they're important!" but in MGR's case the store is frankly a huge afterthought and heavily de-emphasized. And then obviously made worse yet by the dodge move being called something weird because it's technically also an attack.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Humbly announcing the game we've been working on in semi-secrecy for the past year and a half. If it looks like something you'd be into, wishlists are super-appreciated ☺

It's called Near-Mage and it's about studying magick in Transylvania 🧛‍♀️

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1685870/NearMage/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mr Underhill posted:

Humbly announcing the game we've been working on in semi-secrecy for the past year and a half. If it looks like something you'd be into, wishlists are super-appreciated ☺

Ooo... I liked Gibbous, although I could tell that the animation had some growing pains to it, the animation looks pretty nice in this one and I like the designs. I'll look forward to this!

e: oh neat it's got a bit of extra rpg and customization elements to it, reminding me of quest for glory and unavowed

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Thanks! Yeah, this time around we're also shooting ourselves in the foot one extra by having custom itemized outfits that also need to be animated frame by frame 😅

It must be some kind of latent sado-masochistic tendency but hey! If you love animating there's no better way of evolving than punishing yourself with even more of it.
Thanks for the kind words!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

I was honestly waffling on refunding it, but now that I think about it this game reminds me a lot of Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason and I lowkey loved that game too.

why even was this game removed from steam? No one owned the property anymore?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

.random posted:

Can someone confirm this game will scratch my ogre battle itch? I have heard tell that it might
Not really. It has squads, but it is similar to the early Shining Force games.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 29, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mr Underhill posted:

Thanks! Yeah, this time around we're also shooting ourselves in the foot one extra by having custom itemized outfits that also need to be animated frame by frame 😅

It must be some kind of latent sado-masochistic tendency but hey! If you love animating there's no better way of evolving than punishing yourself with even more of it.
Thanks for the kind words!
At least once you get the basic cycles in it's more a matter of rotoscoping, but then there's still the different hairstyles bobbing and all the intricate interior detail linework to keep consistent :X my condolences on your drawing wrist

Especially if you have to do more specific animation of, like, climbing a ladder and grabbing a thing off a shelf... can't imagine having to do that like 30 more times lol

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Mescal posted:

Is it good? I don't know if I like hack and slashes. I don't like grim dawn, is that a hack and slash?

It's a middling Xbone launch title that was kind of a meme joke game for a while, I've heard the PC port has issues. It's not like Grim Dawn, more like a God of War or Asscreed with fairly repetitive combat focused on executions, super linear and short(5-6 hours which isn't such a bad thing :shrug:). It still looks very nice.

If you're interested it's frequently available for under $5.

Edit: Also lol I hate game genres how is Diablo in the same genre as Bayonetta gently caress

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 29, 2021

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Mescal posted:

Domina! Don't be fooled by the trailer, its more management than action.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

The 7th Guest posted:

At least once you get the basic cycles in it's more a matter of rotoscoping, but then there's still the different hairstyles bobbing and all the intricate interior detail linework to keep consistent :X my condolences on your drawing wrist

Especially if you have to do more specific animation of, like, climbing a ladder and grabbing a thing off a shelf... can't imagine having to do that like 30 more times lol

Yep. Plus in-engine cutscenes! But a lot of the outfits are already animated & implemented, it's super fun to be able to customize your MC in an adventure game for a change.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

why even was this game removed from steam? No one owned the property anymore?

That game was a technical rats nest and IIRC even throwing modern computers at the problem didn't help. Maybe even made it worse.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hub Cat posted:

Edit: Also lol I hate game genres how is Diablo in the same genre as Bayonetta gently caress

Don't people call those diablo like games ARPGs (I assume that is action RPGs)? I wouldn't call them hack and slash. Hack and slash is less based on tons of skills and is meant to be played with a controller not m+kb. Honestly hack and slash itself is pretty ill-defined though. I've heard Bayonetta type games being called 'character action games' which I guess makes sense.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

they were called hack and slash games back when they were being compared to turn based isometric crpgs, it's a dated term for them now. kind of like calling first person shooters "doom clones". i think most people would call them arpgs nowadays but the whole genre should just be called "number go up"

but i wouldn't call bayonetta/devil may cry/ninja gaiden hack and slashes either. they're beat em ups.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 29, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mr Underhill posted:

It looks real cute.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Any goon takes on afro-futurist conservationist XCOM We Are the Caretakers?

.random
May 7, 2007

Hack-n-slash is quite an old term, predating computer games, that mainly meant “an rpg, but you’re not here for the plot, kiddo.” In the context of MUDs (for those who were alive then), it was the difference between a role playing server (or game) and a “let’s just kill all the things” server/game.

Now it’s a lot more nebulous IMO, since there’s so many sub-genres and sub sub genres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Underhill posted:

This generally isn’t a genre of game I play but I dig the premise and art. Definitely adding to the followed list. Or is wishlist better from a dev perspective?