Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Doubleposting cause Age of Empires 4 is going to hold a free weekend to stress test their servers. Sign up through the Request Acess button on the Steam store page.

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/ageiv-tech-stress-test/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1466860/Age_of_Empires_IV/

No NDA on this test so even if you don't play, you'll probably find a lot of new info from people that have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Haven't seen a stress test giveaway in a long time, last one I cared about was Diablo2.

It's also very good marketing given the current market! No complaints here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I'd also suggest focusing on a single particular weapon type. Each class seems to have four different subweapons, so you can easily have a pair of different tools for different situations. I started by playing both melee and heavy, but kind of regret spreading out. What does feel overpowered is stealth, as you can often just pile on isolated enemies before they can call for help and then clean up areas without aggroing everyone.

I've completed act 1 and I feel confident in saying the game is good. Really taps that Fallout 1 & 2 nostalgia, writing is usually direct and to the point and the worldbuilding and characterization is good without being too verbose like a lot of CRPGs. The only caveats I'd offer is that fatigue is frustrating in the early game (before you accumulate an infinite supply of coffee) and that the combat is closer to FO1&2 than it is to all the post-XCOM tactics games, so that part feels dated to me.

I also have choice paralysis on which companions to bring along as the core party, so good job, game.
I have choice paralysis looking at the character creation screen, combined with knowledge that a lot of crpgs not e very weapon type/character approach are created equal. is melee/stealth going to fall down hard in endgame? I don't know, but I gotta make these choices right now!

And it sounded like you didn't get a whole ton of skill points, unlike say Fallout 1 where you get enough if you haven't dumpstered int that you can switch to Energy Weapons and use a turbo plasma rifle and power armor for lategame no matter how you started out.

OgNar posted:

Attribute points distribution to get every ability in the game, though some abilties also need specific skill point levels.
And its certainly not ideal if you plan on stealing or using Psi gloves

Not sure how legit it is though
Just found it posted

Also worst debuff to get before chatting or stealing

... isn't deftness the AP ability? my understanding of fallout-type games is that dumpstering that is absolutely crippling :psyduck:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zereth posted:

... isn't deftness the AP ability? my understanding of fallout-type games is that dumpstering that is absolutely crippling :psyduck:

Well

don't poo poo your pants

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

goferchan posted:

edit: reviews say that game saves are all working with Steam Cloud too which is super sick

This is the legit real reason right there.

It’s also really awesome.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Zereth posted:

I have choice paralysis looking at the character creation screen, combined with knowledge that a lot of crpgs not e very weapon type/character approach are created equal. is melee/stealth going to fall down hard in endgame? I don't know, but I gotta make these choices right now!

And it sounded like you didn't get a whole ton of skill points, unlike say Fallout 1 where you get enough if you haven't dumpstered int that you can switch to Energy Weapons and use a turbo plasma rifle and power armor for lategame no matter how you started out.

I basically just went blue wing and then made some adjustments to its default, its mostly guts and perception.
Not ideal, but I knew I would just use this playthrough as a learning play.
I don't think it REALLY matters what you spec into concerning endgame.
While I havent seen endgame yet, i'm still finding a wide variety of enemies with resistances to certain types.
Like cockroaches and fire/heat.
There are some good psi gloves that I keep around for just that reason, one has heat, one does psyhic and the other does energy damage.
And I have a wrench just in case because I came across a quest to knock people out, no killing, so used the wrench but didnt use damage attacks, only fatigue.
There is plenty of variety in this

I would sit there and run through the skills you are interested in and check the abilities sub to it and decide what stats/skills you need from there.
I'm not even sure if dumping more points into light weapons or hi-tech makes them do more damage, it may just come down to what abilities you want.
Cha I think is a pretty important one that I shouldnt have skimped in, and am glad i took high Per because I find mines everywhere.
But i'll go a little different next time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zereth posted:

You get a poo poo-ton of skill points in Encased, although I did go max Brains, and I took the +3 skill points/level perk as soon as possible. I also may have abused the Hog piloting xp exploit a bit, before it got patched out.

On that note, there is a very similar exploit still in the game right now, you can examine the performance-enhanced rat in the maintenance area of the reactor level over and over.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well

don't poo poo your pants

You have to make what is basically a flatulence saving throw for half the food you eat, your character in this game has serious bowel problems

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Phlegmish posted:

You have to make what is basically a flatulence saving throw for half the food you eat, your character in this game has serious bowel problems

Who knew that the worst threat of the post-apoc world was IBS.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they called it Fallout but they never said what was falling out HIYOOOO

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fallout, the harrowing story of two post-apocalyptic roommates who couldn't see eye-to-eye on whether pizza boxes should go in recycling.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

they called it Fallout but they never said what was falling out HIYOOOO

The ratings :dumbrim:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Fallout, the harrowing story of two post-apocalyptic roommates who couldn't see eye-to-eye on whether pizza boxes should go in recycling.

Can't even open a window because there's radiation outside

ENCASED

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I went in 100% blind and after the initial choice paralysis wore off on picking a character/wing, the abilities and stat choices just fell into place on how I wanted to play my dude. The real paralysis comes from packing around so much poo poo wondering how it fits into tradeskills. Do I need 40 bars of soap? The answer turned out to be yes.

First time this has ever happened to me in a game like this. Encased is great and I hope there will be many more sequels.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Wrong thread

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Givin posted:

I went in 100% blind and after the initial choice paralysis wore off on picking a character/wing, the abilities and stat choices just fell into place on how I wanted to play my dude. The real paralysis comes from packing around so much poo poo wondering how it fits into tradeskills. Do I need 40 bars of soap? The answer turned out to be yes.

First time this has ever happened to me in a game like this. Encased is great and I hope there will be many more sequels.

Hell yeah.

I was pretty happy to find that it is pretty trivial to access the personal stash from the camp (which you can setup anywhere), so I just put all crafting materials there and take them out inside the rich house in Junktown (which I break into at convenience), since it has a bunch of crafting benches and a kitchen.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok, now that I'm in the meat of the game Deathloop is just fantastic. It's such a well thought out concept.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Saoshyant posted:

You'd have to ask either the account thieves or those who got compromised. I assume if you have store credit or valuable tradable items it will all be gone. AFAIK, all people who recovered their account quickly don't seem to be missing anything, however, so it may be that whatever bots are in charge of the process probably have a waiting period before they attempt to steal anything. It's also possible that accounts not recovered are eventually sold in their entirety (a steam account's library sold wholesale is actually a big market in poorer areas in the world like Eastern Europe or certain Asian countries, which is also where stolen Playstation accounts tend to resurface too).

The infecting messages seem to be instantaneous, though. You can tell because as soon as one goon here gets compromised, two other goons suddenly get too.

Thanks, that's interesting. I figured it was probably something like that.

Actually I've got another, unrelated question for y'all.

I play most of my video games from HDDs, I just haven't really had a problem with them, as long as they are fast ones the loading screens are fine in my book. But assuming I don't change the resolution in any way, will putting in a better GPU affect performance negatively for those HDDs? I kind of assume not but just wanted to make sure.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Palpek posted:

Ok, now that I'm in the meat of the game Deathloop is just fantastic. It's such a well thought out concept.

I finished my first day and I'm stoked to play more later tonight

I normally give the least possible number of fucks about plot in games but even this one I look forward to reading notes and learning more. I love Colt's voice actor, Liliana is great too, and the character dynamic between the two is excellent.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Givin posted:

There are at least 3 personal chest locations I have found in regularly accessed places + the one in the personal camp that can be accessed from the map at any time.
I was doing the same and nearly maxing out at like 290 until i finally just dumped most crafting items in the chest and knew i wouldnt be using them elsewhere.

personal chest locations
Camp
Roadside picnic
Buyable (or even pickable) place in Junktown
Apartment you get from quest in Magellen residential

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, I just started Nioh 2 last night and it's a great game, so far it feels like the devs just went "Hey, what if we make a second game's worth of new mechanics, slam it into the first game, then cut all of the bad parts."

But the design of the opening level was weird... to be fair this was just me being a dummy, but I can't believe they make the very opening path a miniboss and a shitload of revenants twinked out in DLC gear. Sure, the game explicitly tells you to bypass that poo poo, but I'm an idiot and the devs know it. So I had fun slamming my head against the miniboss and farming revenant crap for like half an hour, and by the time I got past the horsie I was comfortable enough with the mechanics and timing that the entire rest of the level felt like a cakewalk.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I guarantee this got lost in the news the past few weeks, though I did post it here at the time, so I'll just have an update on this...

Shadow Tactics is getting an expansion in December, and I took a look at the Steam page and saw that it's actually a standalone expansion as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkS3C4VSYQQ

There does not look to be a DLC option for existing owners so it's just a flat out standalone expac, akin to something like Dishonored's Death of the Outsider.

quote:

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - Aiko's Choice focuses on one of the main game's protagonists: the kunoichi adept Aiko. She is a master of camouflage and distracts enemies disguised as a Geisha. Although Aiko was certain that she left her old life behind her, Aiko's former sensei, the cunning spymaster Lady Chiyo, reappears from the shadows to challenge her. Together with her deadly companions she sets out to hunt down the ghosts of her past...

The expansion features three fully fledged main missions, set in brand-new environments, and three shorter interlude missions.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 15, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Shadow tactics is one of the only games I keep installed from EGS giveaways.
drat fine fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OgNar posted:

Shadow tactics is one of the only games I keep installed from EGS giveaways.
drat fine fun.

Desperados III is also really good

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I generally didn't have a good time with Death of the Outsider and dropped it on the second mission but as much as I enjoyed D1 and D2, the art style is really not looking good anymore imo; Deathloop looks way better aesthetically. Something about the dlc just isn't clicking too like the rest of the series

The giant meathands lol

e: Prey too I keep forgetting they did that as well

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 15, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Play posted:

Thanks, that's interesting. I figured it was probably something like that.

Actually I've got another, unrelated question for y'all.

I play most of my video games from HDDs, I just haven't really had a problem with them, as long as they are fast ones the loading screens are fine in my book. But assuming I don't change the resolution in any way, will putting in a better GPU affect performance negatively for those HDDs? I kind of assume not but just wanted to make sure.

It could increase load times if the game decides to fill up the extra video ram on load with things it would normally be swapping in later. Depends on how the individual game handles its resources.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

one other thing: Steam Next Fest returns October 1st through the 7th. Project Warlock 2 is going to have an updated demo there which will add upgradeable weapons, combo score counter and customizable visual settings (the original demo must've been pretty rushed to coincide with the kickstarter)

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

in 2021, what is the best pirate game? I want Sid Meier's Pirates, but moreso.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Palpek posted:

Did you play Mooncrash? Any comparisons?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Frankly there is nothing like or better than Sid Meier's Pirates in 2021. Some sci-fi games are kind of like it. Rebel Galaxy, maybe. But otherwise, I'm sorry.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

There is Skull & Bones coming SoonTM

Also, Sea of Thieves is supposed to be pretty good now that it's had a few updates.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag has some pretty good pirating but you'll be forced to play some of the rest of the game before the pirate part really gets good.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

chglcu posted:

It could increase load times if the game decides to fill up the extra video ram on load with things it would normally be swapping in later. Depends on how the individual game handles its resources.

Thanks a lot man! That is good to know.

And I apologize for using this thread as my personal IT resource but does anyone know how to install something like this?

It doesn't look like the other SSD I have, which connects via normal SATA cable thingys, and I guess it, like, plugs directly into the motherboard? Perhaps it'll be obvious when I open up the tower but it looks weird. Is it actually for a laptop maybe?

They made me buy this thing along with the new GPU. Bastards. I could probably try and sell it but I would surely lose money on that and I figured I could also keep it and install my more demanding games to it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's called a m.2 ssd, it'll plug in flat on the motherboard like this, hopefully you have a motherboard with the right slots:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

They're far as gently caress too, make sure your system install is on it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

it's called a m.2 ssd, it'll plug in flat on the motherboard like this, hopefully you have a motherboard with the right slots:

also since i've never installed one myself before i just googled it to familiarize myself with it and apparently they go in at a 30 degree angle like that and stay "up" until you put in the screw at the other end to hold it down so don't panic

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
They were in laptops for a while which is probably where you recognize it from, they added it to desktop mobos recently-ish. Most of the new ones I was looking at recently have at least one, and usually two.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

also since i've never installed one myself before i just googled it to familiarize myself with it and apparently they go in at a 30 degree angle like that and stay "up" until you put in the screw at the other end to hold it down so don't panic

Also you need a standoff and screw to install it. Maybe your motherboard might have come with them, but mine didn't so I had to buy them separately to install mine.

But yeah, as other have said these things can be fast as gently caress. If you've got a good one, it's worth installing Windows on and any games you can fit that you want to load fast.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rinkles posted:

Did you play Mooncrash? Any comparisons?
Yeah, I did but Deathloop is basically Dishonored in a new universe and focused on guns. The level structure, powers, even a lot of assets are straight out of Dishonored. The atmosphere is completely different though. The similarity to Mooncrash would be more in the overarching structure in that (here's a pretty basic spoiler about how the game functions, some people might want to discover this on their own) you get to explore the same 4 maps over and over again while gathering new information about the gameworld in the process. You have 4 time periods during the day and you get to choose which level you'd like to spawn to for the particular time period - they change those maps often drastically so you basically get 4x4=16 levels and you choose how to configure your run. You can spend the entire day on 1 map if you want. After the day is over your gathered items and powers reset except for the ones that you choose to retain (you're limited with resources here).

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Thanks everyone, that's exactly what I needed to know. I'm putting in the GPU later today so I'll take a look at the motherboard, I think it's an i7-8700, to see if there the right slot is there and if it has a screw and a 'standoff'. I've already got Windows on another SSD so I probably won't bother messing with that, my policy is to only do the bare minimum and not mess with things I don't have to since I'm an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

huh, in the 3 minute tutorial youtube video i watched half an hour ago which instantaneously made me a qualified expert, it didn't even sound like a standoff would be necessary since the drive is tensioned against the back screw and would be floating off the motherboard anyway