Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

24 hours later and it's doing player numbers about on par with Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, a game originally released in TYOOL 1999, almost exactly one year after the original Half-Life :v:

I thought this chart was pretty interesting - compare to e.g. Doom Eternal. Amazing numbers of twitch viewers, at least for the first few hours on release, but the peak player numbers right at release were not very impressive. It actually did better than I expected, and you could call the numbers decent for an AAA single player game, but this is without question the biggest single player franchise in PC gaming history (as reflected by those twitch viewers - there's absolutely a lot of interest) and it's doing numbers that are on par with mediocre single player AAA crossplatform titles like Asscreed Origins and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Single player games like Witcher 3, Total War Rome II, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Civ 5, Portal 2 and X-COM 2 have all been in the 90k-125k range of simultaneous players. PC ports of big console titles like Sekiro have been there as well. Farming Simulator '19 and Euro Truck Simulator 2 have both been in the 50-60k range, and so has Cities: Skylines and Stardew Valley.

Lots of people are interested but not that many have the hardware.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

TheFluff posted:

Lots of people are interested but not that many have the hardware.

The VR paradox. A lot of people are interested in the hardware and the games on it, but still don't think it is worth it to actually get what they need to play it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Roluth posted:

The VR paradox. A lot of people are interested in the hardware and the games on it, but still don't think it is worth it to actually get what they need to play it.

You mean like how people were saying "I don't want to get into VR cause there isn't more triple A companies putting effort into it" then getting really mad when one made the effort and made their next game VR only?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I'll wait to invest in VR until it's designed to hook up to and support my vital organs and I never have to leave.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Silver Snail posted:

I'll wait to invest in VR until it's designed to hook up to and support my vital organs and I never have to leave.

Couch-space games are fully supported by toilet-space contexts.

The only gotcha in the whole thing is that canned beer is not terribly compatible, use bottled instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Roluth posted:

I don't think it's really true anymore, considering the only reason Index hardware sales aren't higher is because it sold out and getting new stock assembled and distributed has been a bit hosed by coronavirus.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Leal posted:

You mean like how people were saying "I don't want to get into VR cause there isn't more triple A companies putting effort into it" then getting really mad when one made the effort and made their next game VR only?

The difference is that an AAA company made a game in their flagship series (that haven't had a new game in over a decade) VR exclusive. That's different from an AAA company making a VR game with original IP but AAA production values. (Or, if you're Ubisoft, just make asscreed VR because even fans have sequel fatigue with that)

Or go the Resident Evil 7 route and create a game that is fantastic both with and without VR.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Silver Snail posted:

You're actually playing a hyper sophisticated VR game right now

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

0/10

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Leal posted:

I don't really think it's all that hard to understand that when you take a well-established and popular franchise that's historically been exclusive to a certain platform and then make it exclusive to what is effectively a different platform with completely different controls and a whole set of new physical requirements, a lot of fans of that franchise are probably gonna get mad. Call them luddites if you want but it's not that hard to see where they're coming from. People get invested in these things. Like how VR fans get really invested in how Actually Good the technology is, etc.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah but it's having a glitch where I'm stuck on this one boring tiny map with little to do, with the occasional supermarket cutscene which isn't even completed cause they got bored half way through and just copy pasted empty shelves.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
gently caress Nintendo where's my Mario Odyssey for n64????

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So what I'm getting is that a collective of people from times gone by are mad that something they have once liked has changed and couldn't just be the same way it was back in the good ol' days?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Now that's not really fair. Some of the background scenery looks real nice and it has a couple of fun minigames.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Valve is going to do whatever's the hell they want because they aren't beholden to anyone besides themselves. If they don't touch their franchise for decades because they can't get themselves excited to continue the story then they do that. If a new medium comes along and they DO get excited to revisit their series then they do that. It's extremely obvious that Valve doesn't really care about how many units Alyx moves because if they did they would have made a standard FPS.
Heck they even support every single PC compatible headset, something their direct competitor, Facebook, won't even do. If it was all about selling Indexes then that's the only headset it would support.

I will mock the people that claim Alyx could be made to work with a keyboard and mouse on a screen because they fundamentally don't understand and they get real spicy in their ignorance. The people that just want to experience Half-Life but can't because they don't have the hardware does suck though :(

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Q-sixtysix posted:

Man, I really like Darkest Dungeon a lot

Such great voice work: “TO FIGHT THE ABYSS, ONE MUST KNOW IT.”

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leal posted:

So what I'm getting is that a collective of people from times gone by are mad that something they have once liked has changed and couldn't just be the same way it was back in the good ol' days?

if Half-Life Alyx is actually good then I am glad

it does look neat

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I haven't played a VR, but I did do a google cardboard and went on youtube and someone had made a VR video of that counter strike map in a tower, and I was like wow this feels big

that's my story thanks for listening! VR seems cool

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It's a game basically designed to be review bombed that's at a 97% user score, which is the most unexpected thing to me. People who have the hardware really seem to like it, so if Valve really wants to push VR, and they obviously have for a long time, making really good VR games and headsets seems like a good first step even if the numbers aren't impressive or whatever. It's not like they don't have the financial luxury to do so.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There was a good interview with Gabe wherein he talked about when/why they make HL games, and the short version is that in his mind, a new HL game is made when there’s an interesting new problem they can advance on. The games are merely a vehicle for whatever feature has Valve’s interest, rather than the other way around. In this case, the feature was the VR context. The game literally never would have happened if it weren’t for that, so any claim that it was a dis-service somehow for being strictly VR is founded on a rather significant misunderstanding of the motivation behind the game.

Also he’s still a bit crazy and we should all count ourselves lucky we didn’t have to wait for a direct brain interface to play more HL. Not even exaggerating.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Honestly I'm just shocked that Valve is still making games instead of permanently coasting. I was so sure they were never going to do anything other than add hats to DOTA or something that this is really nice.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't think VR will ever actually take off until we can get 360° treadmills, honestly.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I liked RDR2 but after 100 hours the shooting gallery gunfights became monotonous. But for the value and time I happily sank in it's my GOTY 2019.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Grapplejack posted:

I don't think VR will ever actually take off until we can get 360° treadmills, honestly.

They exist, they’re just huge and clunky and loud. But yeah, that’d do wonders. That being said, Alyx’s zip-move (not gliding, but not teleporting) is a pretty tolerable middle ground, at least to me. Coupled with a large play space, it feels pretty free.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

baka kaba posted:

I haven't played a VR, but I did do a google cardboard and went on youtube and someone had made a VR video of that counter strike map in a tower, and I was like wow this feels big

that's my story thanks for listening! VR seems cool

Actually 6DOF head tracking is hugely different than 3d video. I'm as much of a "VR is a gimmick and will always be a small minority of gaming" person as anyone, but there's no denying that you don't really "get" VR until you wear an actual 6DOF headset where you have translation in addition to rotation. Similarly, having your actual hand positions be tracked in real space does NOT feel anything like any normal sort of interaction. It's a different sort of immersion - not necessarily more immersive - so far I have yet to lose myself in VR the way I can in a game that really appeals to me - but a fundamentally different kind of immersion. It's like the difference between a book and a movie or something like that.

If you know someone who has a Quest, go slap it on for a few minutes and dick around. You can understand basically instantly what VR feels like.

VR is one of those things that everyone should eventually want, and yes, there will eventually be some games forced into VR that really shouldn't have been, but nothing about HL Alyx seems that to me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

Actually 6DOF head tracking is hugely different than 3d video. I'm as much of a "VR is a gimmick and will always be a small minority of gaming" person as anyone, but there's no denying that you don't really "get" VR until you wear an actual 6DOF headset where you have translation in addition to rotation. Similarly, having your actual hand positions be tracked in real space does NOT feel anything like any normal sort of interaction. It's a different sort of immersion - not necessarily more immersive - so far I have yet to lose myself in VR the way I can in a game that really appeals to me - but a fundamentally different kind of immersion. It's like the difference between a book and a movie or something like that.

If you know someone who has a Quest, go slap it on for a few minutes and dick around. You can understand basically instantly what VR feels like.

Going from PSVR to a Rift S was basically going from :aaa: to :aaaaa:

The PSVR was cool, and the Ace Combat 7 VR missions were super cool, but it had nothing on H3VR, where I could grab a stinger missile, load the whole thing, and track and shoot down a flying hot dog. Or playing pool in VR and line up my shot like I would playing in real life. It’s nuts.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Honestly I'm just shocked that Valve is still making games instead of permanently coasting. I was so sure they were never going to do anything other than add hats to DOTA or something that this is really nice.

I also forgot Artifact existed.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I don't really understand why people make fun of those Alyx player numbers because they seem surprisingly high to me (like 5-10 times bigger than I expected).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Kennel posted:

I don't really understand why people make fun of those Alyx player numbers because they seem surprisingly high to me (like 5-10 times bigger than I expected).

From what I can tell, if there was ever a title that made VR truly compelling, HL:Alyx is it.

Too bad my VR headset doesn’t work with my new glasses and it’s also buried at the bottom of a moving box, and I have no VR space in my new house (yet).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Samuringa posted:

I also forgot Artifact existed.

Honestly, I'd buy filing that under "coasting" :effort:

E: Somehow I missed Knights and Bikes when it came out last year. Is it as fantastic as it looks? My partner isn't a gamer but now that we're at home for two weeks I'm thinking it might look like something she'd enjoy!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 25, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just wish I could afford an index. But my near financial future is now extremely up in the air thanks to the global pandemic so I'm not gonna worry about it for awhile. Maybe if jobs still exist on the other side I can get a better one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stickman posted:

E: Somehow I missed Knights and Bikes when it came out last year. Is it as fantastic as it looks? My partner isn't a gamer but now that we're at home for two weeks, I'm thinking it might look like something she'd enjoy!

It's fun, and absolutely made for co-op.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

DrNutt posted:

I just wish I could afford an index. But my near financial future is now extremely up in the air thanks to the global pandemic so I'm not gonna worry about it for awhile. Maybe if jobs still exist on the other side I can get a better one.

It's not like Alyx is going away or is some kind of experience you can't enjoy in the future. VR hardware is still maturing. Give it a couple years and when you have time, money, and honestly most importantly of all space to dedicate to it, you'll be able to have a nice backlog to work through. There are so many good gaming experiences to have now that aside from multiplayer there's really no reason to have FOMO.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

It's fun, and absolutely made for co-op.

Good enough for me, thanks!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any person experience with this game, Seven, which looks a bit like an isometric Dishonored-style game? I have no recollection of adding it my Steam Wishlist, but in browsing that today saw that it's significantly discounted and the gameplay video looked pretty good. Anyone played it?

Sorry for the late reply, I did an effortpost about it a while back: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826119&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post482778390

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

meh

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 25, 2020

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

HL Alyx is a game that allows people to touch their face without contracting a deadly disease.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Awesome -- thank you. I ended up picking it up given the discount I was getting, and through the first two hours it seems pretty sweet. Except for the map and inventory being a little tough to figure out, the game mechanics all seem fun and the setting is interesting.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Earlier this month some people were posting about Horizon's Gate, the rather pixelated SRPG. Can anyone give and/or repost their thoughts on it? It seems like it'd be up my alley, but there's not much in the way of reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What I find frustrating about VR is that it's a flat-out accessibility wall. The headsets I've tried don't fit comfortably over my glasses, and even putting up with that some games/3D movies give me severe eyestrain without a common thchnology I've been able to identify. I don't mind it existing, but I don't want it to become the way forward purely for the selfish reason that I'll be left behind and no amount of tech cost improvement will get me there.