Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Det_no posted:

I'm trying out Eador Imperium and the first few minutes of the tutorial are suddenly interrupted by a lengthy, text-based narration of the appearance of a "beetle-like demon made out of letters and numbers" that breaks the 4th wall and tells you that's quite enough, you should stop playing for your own good. Then a blue box crashes onto the floor and from it emerges a knight, a developer, who vanquishes the demon and warns you that his appearance is really common, he is called "Access Violation" and you should totally refund the game if it bothers you because the game really can crash from "everything from the smallest movement of the mouse to playing after five hours" and you only need to read the reviews to confirm. No hard feelings! But if you do want to risk it, then go right ahead and we'll play!
I couldn't even pay attention to the rest of the tutorial after that. That has to be the single most bizarre meta thing I've seen in a game in maybe years.

:same:

I mean... I really liked both earlier Eador games, as rough as they were, and Imperium was in a bundle and I didn't pay that much for it, but reading that just blocked me from going any further. I re-installed Genesis instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ErrEff posted:

They seem to aware of that based on the pitch website. They're putting this out there in the hopes that some influencers pick this up and make a video or tweet - the website namedrops Pewdiepie and Jacksepticeye as among those that have played their previous work, so that's the angle they're working.
anytime you can get an endorsement from an anti-semite, you have to take it

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Det_no posted:

I'm trying out Eador Imperium and the first few minutes of the tutorial are suddenly interrupted by a lengthy, text-based narration of the appearance of a "beetle-like demon made out of letters and numbers" that breaks the 4th wall and tells you that's quite enough, you should stop playing for your own good. Then a blue box crashes onto the floor and from it emerges a knight, a developer, who vanquishes the demon and warns you that his appearance is really common, he is called "Access Violation" and you should totally refund the game if it bothers you because the game really can crash from "everything from the smallest movement of the mouse to playing after five hours" and you only need to read the reviews to confirm. No hard feelings! But if you do want to risk it, then go right ahead and we'll play!

I couldn't even pay attention to the rest of the tutorial after that. That has to be the single most bizarre meta thing I've seen in a game in maybe years.

Hearts of Iron 3 had a tutorial narrated by Adolf Hitler. Fittingly, the tutorial was near useless.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone here that’s played OlliOlli or the sequel, how do tricks work? The tutorial for tricks lets you pass by doing any trick, but the goals for the first level requires a kickflip, which involves pressing 6 (numpad direction) on the left thumbstick.

Launching into a trick requires holding 2, though, and pressing 236 is a different trick. Pressing 6 while in the air doesn’t trigger it, either, and it doesn’t seem to have to do with grinding either.

You jump and do the trick when you release the stick so that means every movement for a trick has to be done while on the ground or grinding. You hold the direction needed for the trick and when you are close to where you have to jump without releasing the stick do the movement required for the trick, 236 for example, and release it. If you timed it right you will jump and do the trick, if you didn't you will jump to soon or too late and you will miss the jumps or the grinds.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/272230/Sub_Rosa/

quote:

At the request of the publisher, Sub Rosa is unlisted on the Steam store and will not appear in search.

Is it that bad?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

That game is not bad, it's actually pretty great if you can ignore all the jank and have people to play it with. The development has moved at glacial pace as far as I've seen.
Didn't know Developer Digital had picked them up tho!

Sininu fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 18, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Pretty sure that's just Devolver Digital playing coy.

edit: there's a sale going on for Devolver Digital remember

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 18, 2020

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I'm out $25 thanks to some lovely coding.

Bought Astroneer, played it for half an hour, requested a refund.

I didn't think to uninstall it for some reason, else I would have hunted down the two rogue processes that were merrily ticking my played time upward far past the two hour window.

Thanks, assholes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a fix to the Unity error that pops up on certain games if you have Citrix workspace installed? Was gonna play games with my partner last night but the first 4 she picked all had that error...

On the plus side we then played It's Hard To Build A Snowman and fell in love :swoon: she was hugging everything: the snowmen, the bushes, the bird baths...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bieeanshee posted:

Welp, I'm out $25 thanks to some lovely coding.

Bought Astroneer, played it for half an hour, requested a refund.

I didn't think to uninstall it for some reason, else I would have hunted down the two rogue processes that were merrily ticking my played time upward far past the two hour window.

Thanks, assholes.
What's it you didn't like about it? I enjoyed Astroneer, so maybe I can least help you to find some value in it.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1251284355206516739?s=19

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh great another GTA clone.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pedo Simulator got a rebrand huh

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Det_no posted:

eador has always been weird: an entire game of fantasy civ is just considered the primary game loop

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Estel posted:

You jump and do the trick when you release the stick so that means every movement for a trick has to be done while on the ground or grinding. You hold the direction needed for the trick and when you are close to where you have to jump without releasing the stick do the movement required for the trick, 236 for example, and release it. If you timed it right you will jump and do the trick, if you didn't you will jump to soon or too late and you will miss the jumps or the grinds.

Thank you! I ended up replaying the tutorial and figured this out. My confusion was that I thought you HAD to launch tricks from 2, because the tutorial says “hold DOWN (icon of left thumbstick) to launch a trick,” supported by the fact that your character model squats low to the ground when you prepare to launch a trick. I didn’t even consider it might not have to literally start from the down direction. It’s funny, the control scheme is totally alien to any other game I’ve played but it feels really good.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

FastestGunAlive posted:

Sounds fun. Are people still playing this game that do these kind of things or is it the terrible milsim tryhards it always was?

Well, yes, but it's usually within groups of friends. It's hard to find a group that isn't full of tryhards.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

FastestGunAlive posted:

Sounds fun. Are people still playing this game that do these kind of things or is it the terrible milsim tryhards it always was?

Arma is fantastically fun, but it's also ENTIRELY dependent on having the right people to play with. The degree to which it's social is almost like an MMO, but it has actual gameplay. The game before the game is finding the right people, or right groups of people.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Is there a fix to the Unity error that pops up on certain games if you have Citrix workspace installed?

Go into Device Manager and disable the "Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator" device.

You'll find way more involved suggestions if you Google, but that simple fix lets me play Unity games while Citrix continues to work.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The fistfight at the end won't be better than AC2's, calling it now

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

v1ld posted:

Go into Device Manager and disable the "Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator" device.

You'll find way more involved suggestions if you Google, but that simple fix lets me play Unity games while Citrix continues to work.

Ooh I'm gonna try this very soon, thanks!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

My guess is that this means it's either been abandoned or they're prepping to release a remake on a new, less janky engine.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Neither, it is a sales gimmick from Devolver.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Pretty sure that's just Devolver Digital playing coy.

edit: there's a sale going on for Devolver Digital remember

Also

quote:

Sub Rosa is a multiplayer first-person shooter about tense deals, double-crosses, and the occasional high-speed car chase. The game is currently in an alpha testing stage prior to public Early Access and is not widely available for purchase.

Can "read the loving store page" be the new "read the loving manual"?

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 18, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm glad Devolver Digital exists and is so stubbornly weird.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Shilling for Arma again. Even some of the tryhard groups are pretty cool. I love watching ShackTac videos just because they are firmly on the "fun" spectrum of milsim.

I mean, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE9NYsqSdpA

I just love that directional audio. It's absolutely amazing.

Arma has full workshop integration and you can pull gigabytes of toys from it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ZearothK posted:

Can "read the loving store page" be the new "read the loving manual"?
It's not like there's anything worth knowing in there for 99% of games, just marketing babble.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Antigravitas posted:

Well, yes, but it's usually within groups of friends. It's hard to find a group that isn't full of tryhards.

K8.0 posted:

Arma is fantastically fun, but it's also ENTIRELY dependent on having the right people to play with. The degree to which it's social is almost like an MMO, but it has actual gameplay. The game before the game is finding the right people, or right groups of people.

Yea, I played it four years ago and was thinking about going back to it. I’ll at least check out some of the dlc I missed

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Assassin's Creed Origins: gently caress! gently caress gently caress gently caress I cannot handle another dead child! gently caress the Crocodile!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Assassin's Creed Odyssey:Imagine two children on the edge of a cliff

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hub Cat posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey:Imagine two children on the edge of a cliff

I ugly laughed thanks

I'm going to kill the Crocodile today I promise

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Humble Bundle Work Remote Bundle is a utterly bizarre mix of games and trials for premium software, but it also includes King of Dragon Pass for a buck, which is worth it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
a buck for a duck

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

gently caress with ducks for a buck or you suck.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

https://store.steampowered.com/app/682990/Drug_Dealer_Simulator/

quote:

Have you ever thought about expanding your own crime empire, without the legal and moral consequences?

Does it have the soundtrack of Scarface? No.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think of expanding my crime empire all the time, but I think sustainable protection rackets are the way to go in these difficult times.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

gently caress with ducks for a buck or you suck.

This is terrible advice :v:

That doesn't sound like much of a "simulator".

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Hmmm I can tell from the screenshots and video that this is hot garbage with no gameplay but I still want to try it

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They should merge this game with their House Flipper and Thief Simulator.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

They should just import this into GTAV so that there’s some kind of interesting things to do in that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Nah House Flipper and Thief Sim are Playway most of their games turn out okay after some patching. This is a different publisher and all their games have bad reviews.