Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Rocket Pan posted:

The Xbox One had backwards compatibility planned from the start, it just took them that long to get it working. We know this because the Xbox One CPU has custom instructions built specifically for the backwards compatibility, it's the only way it managed to do it.

Also the Series X will maintain and continue the Xbox/360 back compat the One had.

Wait, custom instructions? Where do I find details about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

In case anyone is in the market for gaming headphones:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911778

Thanks!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Sometimes, just giving yourself super speed is fun, especially in games with backtracking/large worlds.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jamfrost posted:

Sometimes, just giving yourself super speed is fun,
That's one way to admit you're a methhead.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

orcane posted:

Old backwards compatibility was funny. The PS2 had a miniaturized PSX on board and the NTSC launch PS3 used PS2 hardware for its BC. Sony ripped out the PS2 hardware for the PAL launch though, and all the "slim" refreshes didn't have it either - PS2 compatibility was purely based on software emulation afterwards, and very limited because of that. PS4 hardware was very different from PS3 again and didn't have any official backwards compatibility at all, but since it came out after everyone got used to buying their game a 3rd time as a "HD remaster", no one cared I guess :shrug:.

I know a guy who worked for Sony during the PS3 era and was positioned in the org chart to know what was going on in the backwards compatibility team. His story is that Sony intended for the PS2 BC to be pure-software from the beginning, but the team was so far behind schedule that the ended up shipping with the hardware stopgap. They kept working on the pure-software emulation only to discover that the PS3 was too slow to emulate PS2 games in the general case (something related to memory bandwidth in the Graphics Synthesizer, IIRC — the PS2 could read back memory faster than the PS3 could, and some games relied on this). Sony took the PS2 hardware out because they were losing money, but they have a software PS2 emulator which they used to sell some PS2 games on the PS3 store.

They could dust that thing off and stick it in the PS5 along with their PSX emulator, depends on whether they think the business case is worth it.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm playing Sundered (it was the Epic freebie a week or two ago) and so far I really like it, but man, I wish I had at least a tiny bit of an idea what is going on. At least give me a task or something. I beat the first boss and all the minibosses of the first area so I have two corrupted abilities, but they sure make that seem like a bad thing. I don't think the growling demon thing giving me advice has my best interests in mind! What happens if I use the furnace instead?

Whatever the heck is going on, though, the game is gorgeous.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Trickyblackjack posted:

If anyone is a fan of games about exploring impossible constructs such as NaissanceE and Antichamber should check out Manifold Garden. It's a trip and one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. Epic exclusive for the moment.

I love it, but I didn't get that far (maybe an hour in if that)...Game made me feel real dumb, so I watched the rest of it on youtube. If you stray at all from exactly what the dev wanted you to do, you can easily get super lost. I'm usually pretty good at these kinda puzzle games but this one broke me.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I would buy a Ps5 if it was backwards compatible with the 2/3/4.

Probably won't otherwise.

As people mentioned, Nintendo stuff is super easy to emulate. Xbox stuff isn't, but outside of Fable 2, Crackdown, Saints Row 1, and the Gears stuff, there really aren't many Xbox only games. And they are sloooowly getting that poo poo working. 5-10ish more years for it.

But the Ps2? Half the games don't work, or have super weird issues. A solid 60% of that library is working due to straight brute force and runs into weird issues. Ps3? Got a couple of the classics, but laffo. Ps4? Not happening anytime soon.

I've whittled down my personal collection to basically just my Playstations and my SNES. It'd be worth $500 just to get those three consoles down to 1.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

I’m playing read dead 2 on steam with a ps4 dual shock.

The game prompts are coded to what appears to be Xbox controls. (Ex/ letters instead of shapes).

The game prompts me to hit a button with 3 horizontal stripes.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what button that is.

Apologies if there is something obvious I’m missing, but help?!

For some reason the Xbox One replaced the Start and Back buttons from the 360 with Menu and View.

Games have been using them for years and I still get unsure which one is which when a game tells me to press one.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Peewi posted:

For some reason the Xbox One replaced the Start and Back buttons from the 360 with Menu and View.

Games have been using them for years and I still get unsure which one is which when a game tells me to press one.

I just started replaying Witcher 2 on Xbox One and yeah, that poo poo tripped me up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rookersh posted:

But the Ps2? Half the games don't work, or have super weird issues. A solid 60% of that library is working due to straight brute force and runs into weird issues.
Mind you, the PS2's game library was pretty much as big as that of all current-gen consoles added together, so that still leaves an incredibly large number of PS2 games that are perfectly functional when emulated.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Mind you, the PS2's game library was pretty much as big as that of all current-gen consoles added together, so that still leaves an incredibly large number of PS2 games that are perfectly functional when emulated.

Yeah, but so much of that giant library was shovelware. Though I think that a lot of the stuff that hasn't been well-emulated is that jankass shovelware, so there's that at least.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, but so much of that giant library was shovelware. Though I think that a lot of the stuff that hasn't been well-emulated is that jankass shovelware, so there's that at least.
I've been using PS2 emulators for years and years and in my experience, it tends to be the super-high end "tickle the absolute most out of the hardware" end of lifecycle stuff like Metal Gear Solid 3 that fails to emulate well, or the janky small-studio stuff that is minimally technologically competent and only just barely even runs at all. The vast majority of titles that lie between these two extremes run very well with a minimum of additional effort.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My partner gifted me Return of the Obra Dinn for Xmas, and we just completed it yesterday. I 100% recommend this game, holy drat was it fun! We racked up approximately 17h of playtime, which we probably could've shaved down to 15 hours had we not completely missed something, solved a lot of things even without that thing, then found the something we had missed and realized it made solving everything easy peasy.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Man, The Outer Wilds is something else. Feels like I'm playing a point n click adventure that is holding my attention and desire to find the truth hostage, and it's been awhile since I've had that feeling from a video game with the same premise.

I'm still getting it confused for Outer Worlds though. I recently finished the companion quest for Vicar Max and I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

OzFactor posted:

I'm playing Sundered (it was the Epic freebie a week or two ago) and so far I really like it, but man, I wish I had at least a tiny bit of an idea what is going on. At least give me a task or something. I beat the first boss and all the minibosses of the first area so I have two corrupted abilities, but they sure make that seem like a bad thing. I don't think the growling demon thing giving me advice has my best interests in mind! What happens if I use the furnace instead?

Whatever the heck is going on, though, the game is gorgeous.

You'll get different abilities based on if you use the thingy or burn it, and there's different endings too.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm sure I'm way late on this, but I just picked up my humble monthly and was somewhat annoyed to see that they're now offering more games than we're allowed to choose, even under the 'classic' grandfathered subscription. Not that I care much about getting all the games, I just don't want to have to put in the homework to make sure I only pick games that I don't already have on steam. Searching my library over and over to avoid duplicates is a frustration I had hoped I could skip if I stayed on my old subscription. :argh:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone else grab that TemTem game that came out today? I just grabbed it, MMO Pokemon with the serial numbers filed off sounds like my jam.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

ymgve posted:

Wait, custom instructions? Where do I find details about this?

There's limited explanations but the article here covers it:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/the-untold-story-of-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility posted:

As Durango crystallized, so too did plans for Xbox 360 compatibility on the new machine. “This was primarily a software exercise, but we enabled that by thinking ahead with hardware,” Gammill explained. “We had to bake some of the backwards compatibility support into the [Xbox One] silicon.” This was done back in 2011. Preliminary tests showed that support for key Xbox middleware XMA audio and texture formats was extremely taxing to do in software alone, with the former, Gammill noted, taking up two to three of the Xbox One’s six CPU cores. But a SOC (system on chip) – basically an Xbox 360 chip inside every Xbox One, similar to how Sony put PS2 hardware inside the launch-era PS3s – would’ve not only been expensive, but it would’ve put a ceiling on what the compatibility team could do. “If we'd have gone with the 360 SOC, we likely would've landed at just parity,” he said. “The goal was never just parity.” So they built the XMA and texture formats into the Xbox One chipset.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Anyone else grab that TemTem game that came out today? I just grabbed it, MMO Pokemon with the serial numbers filed off sounds like my jam.

Quoting myself with an update- put in for a refund after 15 minutes of play. My first opponent was some kind of tutorial/training fight, and he hit me with a critical on his first move and one-shot my dude. The game wasn't built around that happening, so it just kind of... stuck there. Had to quit out and said gently caress it. I know that it's early access but holy crap that's a dumb softlock.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Quoting myself with an update- put in for a refund after 15 minutes of play. My first opponent was some kind of tutorial/training fight, and he hit me with a critical on his first move and one-shot my dude. The game wasn't built around that happening, so it just kind of... stuck there. Had to quit out and said gently caress it. I know that it's early access but holy crap that's a dumb softlock.

Can't lie, that's hilarious.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

You can report that to the developer, right?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Sonic Mania is fun, but man are the more methodical platforming bits and some of the more setpiece-y boss battles tedious

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barry Convex posted:

Sonic Mania is fun, but man are the more methodical platforming bits and some of the more setpiece-y boss battles tedious

The one in the TV zone where you have to dodge some rockets and jump on the others was awful.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I'm not really sure who the target market is for this, but all the half lives are free to play from now until when Alyx comes out.

E: Shoulda gone with "Play Half-Life Free!" really.

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 21, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Half-Life: it's Freeman!!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

baka kaba posted:

Half-Life: it's Free, man!!

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

baka kaba posted:

Half-Life: Forget about three, man

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Gamers: Can you make Half-life: Three already?
Gabe: Ok, let's make Half-life free.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its too bad that Valve is still persecuting non VR users by making Alyx VR only.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Leal posted:

Its too bad that Valve is still persecuting non VR users by making Alyx VR only.

Gabe laughs eveytime he says "Alyx" and this is why

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I haven't played this game yet but a friend of mine who played the stress test said this is a scripted thing and you're supposed to get the poo poo kicked out of you in the first fight which leads you to getting another starter pokemon Temtem. If the game hung on you after that it might be related to server side bullshit that sounds like is happening due to the game just officially launching today. It looks like they gave out a 10% off coupon for people who owned their previous game Immortal Redneck (which, surprised the poo poo out of me to see that the devs who made Immortal Redneck pivoted to make an MMO Pokemon game) so I may check it out. I'm cautiously optimistic after seeing some video of gameplay, first I heard of it I assumed it was some China knockoff technically legal Pokemon clone but it seems alright. Might be worth waiting to see how it grows in Early Access before diving in though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Barry Convex posted:

I dont mind them. What I do mind is two platforms pinching you to death when they move vertically from opposite directions to be next to each other. It is 2/3rds of my deaths in this game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Big Picture mode started loving with another game’s settings randomly. I’ve been playing FFXV this week and when I started it up today, it wouldn’t take controller inputs all the sudden. Had to force some stuff off in BPM mode specifically, again. Why can’t I have a global setting to set it to forced off from regular desktop mode? This is the third or fourth time I’ve had it happen and I’m sick of it.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Temtem looks really good and cool but I can't even play. 80 minutes of play time so far with most of that getting disconnected and put back into a 15k person queue. Gonna wait a little bit then refund if they don't fix it within a few days, but definitely not wasting my 2 hours of refund window on waiting.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Maybe it's the anti-capitalism cynic in me but I feel like the console manufacturers don't really want to push for backwards compatibility anymore is because it's much more easier and more profitable to just make remastered versions of the popular games. After all, you make more money by getting people to buy the same game twice.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When talking about backwards comparability do they mean letting you continue using your digital purchases (which they should do) or physical copies?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Leal posted:

I don't like it either but using a word like "persecuting" is pretty funny

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

wafflemoose posted:

Maybe it's the anti-capitalism cynic in me but I feel like the console manufacturers don't really want to push for backwards compatibility anymore is because it's much more easier and more profitable to just make remastered versions of the popular games. After all, you make more money by getting people to buy the same game twice.

That's less cynic and more exactly what they have done for 2 or 3 generations, depending if you count the Wii U or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, like mentioned above, you're supposed to lose the fight and then get a second dude and continue on.

That said, the servers are completely melted. You'll soft lock on chests, random freezes in battles, and I'm currently getting a repeat black screen on logging in. Give it a few days at minimum if you're still interested.